Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Graphic Novel Recommendations

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Graphic Novel Recommendations

I just finished reading, and thoroughly enjoyed, Joe Hill's Locke & Key. The combination of Joe's words and Gabriel Rodríguez's artwork make for a compelling read.

So, I'm now looking for something else to rock my world. I've previously read the graphic novel series Providence by Alan Moore and Monstress by Marjorie Liu, both of which I also really enjoyed.

What would people recommend as another great graphic novel series to read?

Any recommendations for Neil Gaiman's Sandman series?

Thanks.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Science fiction-ish:

Y: The Last Man
    Ex-Machina
    Saga
    East of West
    Lazarus
    The Incal (+Metabaron, and The Technopriests)
    Akira
    Ghost in the Shell
    Descender
    Doom Patrol
    Invisibles
    Transmetropolitan
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (nothing like the movie)

Horror-ish:

Hellboy (moody art, not at all for kids despite the lazy name)
    B.P.R.D. - companion series to Hellboy but has a pulp adventure angle. Fun stuff.
    Gravel - Warren Ellis
    Swamp Thing - Alan Moore's run
    American Vampire
    Fatale
    Anything and everything by Junji Ito. You'll thank me later.

Other:

Preacher
    Scalped
    Southern Bastards
    Northland ers
    Fables
    Unwritten (you'll dig Fables and unwritten if you liked Sandman)
    DMZ

All the titles I listed are multi-volume series. I have my favourites but all of those are indeed great. I could list the single volume books too. Generally, I prefer the self-contained shorter (not short per se) books over 10+ book runs.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

nice list - I think I have about 12 of those in my collection
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really like Ed Brubakers work - have all of his books - add Criminal to the list
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

He's great. He and a few others are just so damned good I'll even read their superhero titles. I'm talking about Scott Snyder, Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, Brian Azzarello, Jeff Lemire, Frank Miller... I'm sure there are more.

Definitely agree with Criminal but if those door stopper omnibus editions are too daunting, Velvet is just the thing with only three volumes.

Country
    Country Flag

Well I took one of your recommendations and just ordered Uzumaki - never read or heard of Ito - so figured would give it a try. Im an omnibus type of guy - wait for the zombie killing door stoppers to come out. Just finished Owen King's Intro too Alien invasion - to decide if I wanted to order the s/l - it was okay - a quick read and fun, but nothing I would turn to again - hence I did not get the CD s/l - stick with my pb copy
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

Country
    Country Flag

That just made my day.

I have quite a few omnibus editions too. They look so damned cool on the shelves. Reading them is a different story. Sandman library editions are paperbacks compared to 1000+ page oversized hardcovers like Animal Man and Invincibles.

You know what's better than having the complete Sandman library edition? Having it bookended with Dream and Death. You know what's slightly worse than that? Walking into the bookcase and watching the Death bookend fall towards the floor in slow motion. It's like your life playing out in front of your eyes.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    That just made my day.

I have quite a few omnibus editions too. They look so damned cool on the shelves. Reading them is a different story. Sandman library editions are paperbacks compared to 1000+ page oversized hardcovers like Animal Man and Invincibles.

You know what's better than having the complete Sandman library edition? Having it bookended with Dream and Death. You know what's slightly worse than that? Walking into the bookcase and watching the Death bookend fall towards the floor in slow motion. It's like your life playing out in front of your eyes.
    That’s why I have two sets of death/dream bookends - one set has a missing orb (oops)
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Saga is probably the best thing I've read in years. I would buy all those today.
    Y: The Last Man is also one of my favorites and it also get big ups from me bc it ended perfectly.
    Fables vol. 1-11 are excellent.

I tend to like things that end,bc I feel that sometimes they stretch things out to make more money like Fables and Walking Dead.

Is Unwritten still good? I loved it but there was a long delay at some point and I forgot what happened.
    It seemed like it was going in the "it will run forever" direction.

Great and Secret Show was excellent and it was drawn by Gabriel Rodriguez as well.

Country
    Country Flag

Unwritten ended years ago.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Unwritten ended years ago.
    Cool, how was the ending?

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm. Satisfying. I don't know what else to say without ruining the ending. Not sure if you knew, but volume one is out in a "deluxe" hardcover. It's just bigger trim than a paperback and there might be bonus material but they look just like standard hardcovers to me. Same quality as Preacher, Fables, Swamp Thing.

Hmm. Satisfying. I don't know what else to say without ruining the ending. Not sure if you knew, but volume one is out in a "deluxe" hardcover. It's just bigger trim than a paperback and there might be bonus material but they look just like standard hardcovers to me. Same quality as Preacher, Fables, Swamp Thing.
    Cool, I can't justify the price on those though.

I am really excited they are finally putting out a Hellboy omnibus. I always wanted to read them but how fast I read comics I find it hard to drop $18 on something I will finish in an hour.

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great recommendations. Thanks everyone.

Sandman, Swamp Thing and Hellboy sound like good they'll be right up my alley.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Sandman is seminal graphic novel reading. The case can be made that it paved the way for the medium today as we know it. Paradigm changer for sure. Also, it's really fucking cool.

The following are all great titles that should be experienced by everyone who likes a great story

Fables
    The Unwritten
    Y: The Last Man

The Invisibles (this is for more 'seasoned' GN readers tho)
    East of West

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Dude I completely forgot we had that tournament!!

Watchmen is a worthy champion.

Wytches was really good as well.
    Wasn't there supposed to be a sequel or something?

Country
    Country Flag

Don't know about a Wytches sequel, but I strongly suggest his other horror book called Severed.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeahhh, pretty much anything by Scott Snyder is a surefire bet.

Also, Deal - you're going to exile me for this, but I've never read Kingdom Come. That's one of the All Times's that has somehow eluded my grasp, until now. Just ordered it off Amazon. Stoked to read it.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't own it either. I have one of those free DC pamphlets with must-read books and I'm slowly working my way through it. That's how I found out about it.

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished reading the trade hardback of Preacher which collects comics #1 through # 12 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's very violent in places, but the story moves along at swift pace and I'm really curious to see where they are going to take the storyline in the future.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Killing Joke
    Justice League: Identity Crisis
    Daredevil: Guardian Devil
    Batman: Hush
    Flashpoint (DC Comics)
    The Joker: Endgame

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Y: The Last Man....perfect for today’s climate
    Red Son...Superman lands in USSR instead of Kansas and becomes a commie
    Irredeemable...Superman snaps and says fuck the earthlings
    Daredevil Born Again...the definitive daredevil story
    Marvels...good story with flawless Alex Ross art
    Superman Birthright by Mark Waid...imo the best Superman origin story
    Identity Crisis by Brad Metzler...yet another 80s rape story but it’s a great read
    Old Man Logan...Logan the movie plus hulks
    Invincible...the guy that wrote walking dead writes guardians of the galaxy for Nickelodeon
    Batman the long Halloween...underrated as hell. Includes the entire Batman roster
    Daredevil Yellow
    Daredevil The Man Without Fear
    Daredevil anything by Bendis & Maleev
    Captain America Winter Soldier...my all time favorite
    Civil War

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just bought myself a birthday present, so happy. The graphic novels, not the shelf, lol:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast