4 14.29%

2 7.14%

2 7.14%

0 0%
  • Never read

7 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bracket #2: Roadwork (1981)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #2: Roadwork (1981)

Roadwork, 1981

Please vote for Roadwork using the following scale:

• Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Although I have read it, I had to mark it as Never Read, since it is the only SK book that I have read that I have no recollection of. I was tempted to give it a 2.5, since I figure if I can't remember it, it couldn't have been great, or really bad for that matter.

In the process of rereading some of his books, maybe I'll add this one to the list.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I walked away from this one not really feeling much at all. And I can't recall anything significant about it now.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I read Roadwork when young, then again as a married father - perspective made a difference: I think Roadwork says interesting things about marriage (among other things).

This bit sticks with me: "I’ll just scream now, I think. For lost things. For your grin, Mary. Pardon me while I just throw back my head and scream for the grin that’s never there on your face anymore."

For the sake of discussion, I will quote some notes I took when rereading it 2012:

"Roadwork contains frustration above and beyond the Jack Torrance level; this is what happens when a man is asked to tolerate one thing too many. This is what happens when the downward spiral hits bottom, and you begin looking around for ways to chain yourself there. Bart is still human enough to care about Victor, Olivia and the ex-priest, but far gone enough to think that the punch he wishes to throw in frustration should involve explosives."

"Interesting how quickly a husband can be discarded once his problems become too much for him to handle. Mary had the waiting arms of her parents to run to – who was Bart supposed to go to in order to rebuild himself and his life? Good luck at college, Mary, good luck man-hunting, and be sure to enjoy the hell out of the $30k."

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. Roadwork has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.047619048 or 60.95%. It received a rating of 3.5 with 6 votes.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

hmmm, this score isn't giving me much encouragement to re-read this one. Its only one I have 0 recollection of the story.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

3.5. Slightly above average.
    Sloth Love Chunk

+ Reply to Thread