Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Book List

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Default 2018 Book List

Guess I’ll do the honors...

1. House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski (3)
    Sloth Love Chunk

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Past years Links

Books
    1. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Ron Hansen (started 12/20/17, finished 1/10/18 )
    2. Dolan's Cadillac (chapbook) - Stephen King (finished 1/12/18 )
    3. A Dance with Dragons (audiobook) - George R. R. Martin (started 8/29/17, finished 1/17/18 )
    4. Strange Weather - Joe Hill (started 1/14/18, finished 2/11/18 )
    5. Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House - Michael Wolff (Started (2/14/18, finished 2/18/18 )
    6. A Closed and Common Orbit - Becky Chambers (Started (2/12/18, finished 2/24/18 )
    7. The Cases That Haunt Us: From Jack the Ripper to JonBenet Ramsey, the FBI's Legendary Mindhunter Sheds the Light on Mysteries that Won't Go Away - John Douglas & Mark Olshaker (Started, 2/12/18, finished 3/4/18 )
    8. The Gone World - Tom Sweterlitsch (started 3/4/18, finished 3/12/18 )
    9. Grimscribe - Thomas Ligotti (started 5/29/17, finished 3/19/18 )
    10. Ready Player One - Ernest Cline (Started 3/21/18, Finished 3/29/18 )
    11. Red Seas Under Red Skies - Scott Lynch (Started 3/29/18, finished 4/11/18 )
    12. The Terror - Dan Simmons (Started 4/4/18, finished 4/18/18 )
    13. Skullsworn - Brian Staveley (Started 4/18/18, finished 4/22/18 )
    14. Altered Carbon - Richard K Morgan (started 4/23/18, finished 4/29/18 )
    15. American Heart - Laura Moriarty (started 4/29/18, finished 5/04/18 )
    16. The Outsider - Stephen King (started 5/25/18, finished 5/31/18 )
    17. Obsession: The FBI's Legendary Profiler Probes the Psyches of Killers, Rapists, and Stalkers and their victims and tells how to fight back - John Douglas & Mark Olshaker (started 4/23/18, finished 6/22/18 )
    18. Mastermind: How to think like Sherlock Holmes - Maria Konnikova (started 5/18/18, finished 7/8/18 )
    19. Blood Meridian: or The Evening Redness in the West - Cormac McCarthy (re-started 6/15/18, finished 7/13/18 )
    20. The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss (started 7/19/18, finished 8/10/18 )
    21. Inside the Mind of BTK: The True Story Behind the Thirty-Year Hunt for the Notorious Wichita Serial Killer - John Douglas & Johnny Dodd (started 7/14/18, finished 8/19/18 )
    22. Revival - Stephen King (Started 8/19/18, Finished 9/13/18 )
    23. Fear: Trump in the White House - Bob Woodward (started 10/4/18, Finished 10/25/18 )
    24. Black Order - James Rollins (started 9/14/18, Finished 12/18/18 )

Anthologies

Comics
    1. The Infinity Gauntlet - Jim Starlin, George Perez, & Ron Lim (5/10/11)

In Progress
    The Big Book of Science Fiction - Edited by Ann & Jeff VanderMeer (started 12/24/16, )
    The Guns of August - Barbara Tuchman (started 12/19/18, )
    Last edited by Lookwhoitis; 01-16-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post

Blood Meridian: or The Evening Redness in the West[/I] - Cormac McCarthy
    One of my absolute favorites.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    BM is dope for sure, but the no-quotation marks for character dialogue drove me nuts at first. I understand it's a stylistic choice or w/e, just not sure it really adds anything to the experience.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been working my way through McCarthy over the past few years. Unfortunately I got stalled with this one, even though I was really enjoying it, due to work, being busy and travelling over the past few months. I am planning on starting over and reading it cover to cover.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

How did you read this? I have it on the shelf but the format is so weird that I wasn't sure how to read it. (Same reason I have yet to read S. by Doug Dorst)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

2018 List

1. The Man in the Picture - Susan Hill

I only made it through 30 books last year, so I have now set a goal of 40 books for this coming year. I've had House of Leaves on my bookshelf for a few years now. I've been dying to read it too, but I always seem to pick up another book instead.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This year was the year I've read the least amount of pages since I started keeping track pre-2006. Damn Lord of the Flies and Sleeping Beauties really messed me up.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I tried to start Sleeping Beauties, but was having difficulty getting into it. I've heard some not so great things about it, so I think I'm going to try the audiobook instead. If I start a slow book, I'll never be able to read anything else

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't recommend it. Very slow, uninteresting characters, and needlessly long. I wasted 3 months of my reading year on that sucker. 3 months!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

2012 List
    2013 List
    2014 List
    2015 List
    2016 List
    2017 List

1. Arm of the Sphinx (The Books of Babel, #2) by Josiah Bancroft
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

2018 List

2. The Heart Goes Last - Margaret Atwood (audio)

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post

How did you read this? I have it on the shelf but the format is so weird that I wasn't sure how to read it. (Same reason I have yet to read S. by Doug Dorst)
    I slugged through it, reading the footnotes as I came to them. Reading the appendices when referred to them. I must say, I got very bogged down with this book. I read at least 3 other books while trying to get through this one. I didn’t hate it exactly. It was just a very laborious read. I know it has almost a cult following, but I think those fanatics are looking for incite that isn’t there. It was worthwhile, but I would never read it again.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    BM is dope for sure, but the no-quotation marks for character dialogue drove me nuts at first. I understand it's a stylistic choice or w/e, just not sure it really adds anything to the experience.
    Yes, his grammar and lack of punctuation is very frustrating. It took me a couple of books to get past it. All the Pretty Horses is my favorite so far.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

2. The Drawing of the Three (audiobook book) SK read by Frank muller. 5/5
    3. Capital Gaines - Smart things I learned doing stupid stuff - Chris Gaines (3)
    Sloth Love Chunk

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

1. The Woman in Black - Susan Hill

2018 List

3. Stranded - Bracken MacLeod

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

1. Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
    2. The House of the Dead - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    3. Nausea - Jean Paul Sartre

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

2012 List
    2013 List
    2014 List
    2015 List
    2016 List
    2017 List

1. Arm of the Sphinx (The Books of Babel, #2) - Josiah Bancroft
    2. Annihilation - Jeff Vandermeer

Country
    Country Flag

2012 List
    2013 List
    2014 List
    2015 List
    2016 List
    2017 List

3. Blood Fury - JR Ward

2018 List

3. Stranded - Bracken MacLeod
    4. Snow - Ronald Malfi

Country
    Country Flag

2012 List
    2013 List
    2014 List
    2015 List
    2016 List
    2017 List

3. Blood Fury - JR Ward
    4. Authority - Jeff Vandermeer

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    2012 List
    2013 List
    2014 List
    2015 List
    2016 List
    2017 List

3. Blood Fury - JR Ward
    How is the levanthian wakes series? Worth the read?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    2012 List
    2013 List
    2014 List
    2015 List
    2016 List
    2017 List

3. Blood Fury - JR Ward
    How is the levanthian wakes series? Worth the read?
    Do you mean Leviathan Wakes series? I have the SP limited editions but haven't read them yet. I do love the show based on the books - The Expanse series.

Country
    Country Flag

2012 List
    2013 List
    2014 List
    2015 List
    2016 List
    2017 List

3. Blood Fury - JR Ward
    5. Fire Touched - Patricia Briggs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast