Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Elevation: A Castle Rock novel (out October 30, 2018)

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If he made it a Mr. Mercedes crossover, Bill Hodges could investigate which of the lesbians let the dog poop in the man's yard.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    If he made it a Mr. Mercedes crossover, Bill Hodges could investigate which of the lesbians let the dog poop in the man's yard.
    !

It sounds like straight-up-edge-of-your-seat suspense.

Gunslinger Apprentice NoAttitudeThisTime is on a distinguished road

The butler did it. Or it was Molly A.K.A. The Thing of Evil

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Amazon has the "cover to be unveiled" cover:

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Hmm, they are calling it a novel. I wonder if King expanded it, or Amazon are mistaken?

ETA: I guess 144 pages is a short novel.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And now the official cover has been revealed. It's being billed as a novel:

http://ew.com/books/2018/05/29/steph...on-first-look/
    Finished reading The Outsider? Because there’s another Stephen King book coming your way this year.

The beloved best-selling author will next publish Elevation, a short novella that returns to his Castle Rock setting but strikes a blessedly different tone. Described as a rebuke to our divisive culture, Elevation tells a story that’s joyful, uplifting, and tinged with sadness.

Here’s the official synopsis: “Although Scott Carey doesn’t look any different, he’s been steadily losing weight. There are a couple of other odd things, too. He weighs the same in his clothes and out of them, no matter how heavy they are. Scott doesn’t want to be poked and prodded. He mostly just wants someone else to know, and he trusts Doctor Bob Ellis.

“In the small town of Castle Rock … Scott is engaged in a low-grade — but escalating — battle with the lesbians next door whose dog regularly drops his business on Scott’s lawn. One of the women is friendly; the other, cold as ice. Both are trying to launch a new restaurant, but the people of Castle Rock want no part of a gay married couple, and the place is in trouble. When Scott finally understands the prejudices they face — including his own — he tries to help. Unlikely alliances, the annual foot race, and the mystery of Scott’s affliction bring out the best in people who have indulged the worst in themselves and others.”

King has exclusively shared the Elevation cover with EW, as well as a tasty bite-sized excerpt. Read on below, and pre-order Elevation ahead of its Oct. 30 release here.

Excerpt from Elevation, by Stephen King

Scott Carey knocked on the door of the Ellis condo unit, and Bob Ellis (everyone in Highland Acres still called him Doctor Bob, although he was five years retired) let him in. “Well, Scott, here you are. Ten on the dot. Now what can I do for you?”

Scott was a big man, six-feet-four in his stocking feet, with a bit of a belly growing in front. “I’m not sure. Probably nothing, but . . . I have a problem. I hope not a big one, but it might be.”

“One you don’t want to talk to your regular doctor about?” Ellis was seventy-four, with thinning silver hair and a small limp that didn’t slow him down much on the tennis court.

“Oh, I went,” Scott said, “and got a checkup. Which was overdue. Bloodwork, urine, prostate, the whole nine yards. Everything checked out. It was diabetes I was worried about. WebMD suggested that was the most likely.”

Ellis led him into the living room, where a big bay window overlooked the fourteenth green of the Castle Rock gated community where he and his wife now lived.

“I’m losing weight,” Scott said abruptly. “That’s what’s on my mind. It’s sort of funny, you know. I used to steer clear of the bathroom scale, because these last ten years or so, I haven’t been crazy about the news I got from it. Now I’m on it first thing every morning.”

“I’m sure you know that weight-loss isn’t just a marker for diabetes, Scott, it’s a marker for cancer. Among other things. How much weight are we talking about?”

“Twenty-eight pounds. So far.”

Excerpted from Elevation by Stephen King. Copyright © 2018 by Stephen King. Reprinted with permission of Scribner, a Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.

Gunslinger Apprentice NoAttitudeThisTime is on a distinguished road

Could this short excerpt be in the actual magazine? Or is it more likely to be an online exclusive?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoAttitudeThisTime View Post
    Could this short excerpt be in the actual magazine? Or is it more likely to be an online exclusive?
    The summer preview double issue (June 1/8) is the next out and makes no mention of King on the cover, so I expect it's online only.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I still can't get a feel for the tone of this one.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Amazon now has the cover with no EW watermark:

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting story. Can't wait to read it. But I don't care who you are: gay, straight, bi, trans... If you don't pick up your dog's poop, then to hell with you! (unless it's in the woods, then it's ok)

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Third straight story/book with an important dog walking scene. I guess we know what King is doing in his spare time.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I can't tell you how many times I've been out in public areas, hiking, beach trails, sidewalk... where people have left their dog's poop right in the middle of the path. I once stepped in it while hiking on a heavily travelled trail and had to go find a stream to try to wash some of it off. It was beyond disgusting, and luckily I had another pair of shoes in the car. But yes, those people shouldn't be allowed out if they're not going to pick up their mess.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I've been out in public areas, hiking, beach trails, sidewalk... where people have left their dog's poop right in the middle of the path. I once stepped in it while hiking on a heavily travelled trail and had to go find a stream to try to wash some of it off. It was beyond disgusting, and luckily I had another pair of shoes in the car. But yes, those people shouldn't be allowed out if they're not going to pick up their mess.
    Oh, Heather, no! That's awful

Where I go hiking every once in a while there are lots of ducks and sometimes you need to navigate their poop on the trails, so people's dogs adding to that would just be too much.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It's biodegradable - what's the problem?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Traveler Vern is on a distinguished road Vern's Avatar

The UK cover, which I much prefer to the US one.

Country
    Country Flag

I really don't like the font they always use for "Stephen King" in the UK. Could just be me.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I really don't like the font they always use for "Stephen King" in the UK. Could just be me.
    Agreed, It's very bland and wimpy.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    The UK cover, which I much prefer to the US one.

I prefer the american
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Country
    Country Flag

I'm still not sure what the title is referring to, is it "elevation" in the sense of raising the level of communication in the community?

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Coincidentally,* this very day, (just 2-3 hours ago, I’m still in a Cafe in town right now) taking the countryside walk into town, I was walking a path between two lakes, and there, strewn across the path, a whole lot of dog poo.

Thankfully, this is quite a rare experience in this area.

What I really hate, are those times I didn’t notice at the time, only to get the smell after entering the house....

And so as not to go off topic too much, I like both those covers. Nice to see the UK one has a little gag!

*or would that be ka? Definitely kaka.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I'm still not sure what the title is referring to, is it "elevation" in the sense of raising the level of communication in the community?
    In one sense.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Actually prefer the US cover for this title. I'm usually a UK cover fan.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    Third straight story/book with an important dog walking scene. I guess we know what King is doing in his spare time.
    Maybe he's trying to outKoontz Koontz.

King is reading the audiobook version. See the announcement here: https://twitter.com/skdotcom_news/st...84549688291328

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast