Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2018 Haven Foundation Fundraiser-Change

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no problem with the selection of one or more of those links as long as they are properly vetted. I still like the idea of the Bangor library though. They are small enough that a donation would mean something.

John

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Whilst I bow to Bill's greater knowledge on charities and donations, (his charity works and getting others to contribute are legendary around here) on the comments above I would disagree, for the following reasons:

1. This is foremost a site that revolves around books, Stephen King books in the majority, but plenty of other authors have threads as well.
    2. RF has already made the decision and approached Bangor Library and they appear very positive about working with the site. Public recognition will also spread word about the site and potentially gain more members (and therefore the possibility of additional future donations)
    3. IMHO SK will be more inclined to donate or sign a book if the charity is associated with literature.
    4. The bigger charities, whilst doing excellent work have many, many supporters and marketing machines to spread the word and get donations, It's the smaller charities that tend to get overlooked by the general public.
    5. I don't want to annoy the Library Policeman....

JM2C
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post
    As this thread has developed I have checked in to see the discussion without contributing to gather the collective feeling of those here who direct the fundraiser as well as members concerns. One thought that occurred to me and perhaps others is another option (if needed/desired) might be to look to other organizations which King has noted he suggest might be worthwhile alternatives.

The Haven Foundation has a links page which might be a resource to consider alternative charities which support writers and/or artists.
    http://www.thehavenfdn.org/links
    I'll probably go with the general consensus and, Simon makes some very valid points.

Jims' post also makes a lot of sense. I guess I just see it as a chance to get a bigger bang for our buck so to speak by contributing to a more well knownw charity. If we can find one that King is involved with as well then I think we have covered all the bases. Again, I'll got with whatever the majority determines. That includes a "Grand Prize" type auction/giveaway item even if Mr. King agrees to sign for the fund raiser again. How's that sound?

I just really think just about anything other than a local library would make artist/publisher pivoting easier and more inclusive. JMHO

Also, I don't see why we cannot split the funds amongst two or three valid charities (which would not proclude the BPL from participation) and make a decision that much easier. no?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It's up to RF, of course. It's his ball, we're just playing with it. But, that being said, I'm with Bill, especially about the Shriners.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    It's up to RF, of course. It's his ball, we're just playing with it. But, that being said, I'm with Bill, especially about the Shriners.
    I'm gonna have to draw the line at playing with Jerome's balls. Just not my bag, baby.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

After further consideration I think I am going to formally withdraw from assuming any kind of a role, such as it is/was from the fundraiser going forward. As such I officially withdraw any offer (s) and/or commitments I have made in the past. I just don't have the wherewithal any longer with my past/present health issues, etc.

I'll drop my few sheckles in the bucket when I can, but I just cannot assume any role as I have in the past (such as it may have been) or considered recently. I wish the site and its very generous members nothing but the best in whatever direction they should choose to pursue. I need to focus on my own personal issues going forward. I'll just continue to support the membership from behind the scenes as I have done in the past.

If there is someone out there who chooses to pick up the mantle in assisting the sites fundraising efforts please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to transfer my contacts and goodwill with the artists/publishers over to him/her if they should so choose. I enjoy the site and community too much to risk letting them/it down when pursuing charitable efforts for those in need. Thank you in advance for your understanding and let me know when or where I can drop a few sheckles in the proverbial bucket!!!! LOL

Also, I apologize in advance if my reversal causes anyone any consternation. I suppose my charitable eyes were bigger than my stomach could bear. lol Furthermore, concerning, RF's "Balls" I'll leave that discussion and its outcome to more knowledgeable members!!! LOL

Best of luck, folks. I'll be watching!!! lol lol I'll see you all around the forum/site and wish you all the happiest of holidays!!!!!

P.S. On a side note, I want to thank, El Jefe for allowing me to assist in the past fundraisers and their resultant success's. It was a great run, we had some fun and we did an amazing amount of good for others over the span. I also want to applaud, RF again for the HUGE amount of work and dedication he has provided to the fund raisers over the years. You folks really have no idea just how much time, money, work and dedication he demonstrates and provides for these things every year!!!!

THANK YOU, BOSS!!!!!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Mr. King has graciously agreed to inscribe a book to our Grand Prize winner. He did say that due to his desire to spend more time writing, this would be the last year he would do so.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Mr. King has graciously agreed to inscribe a book to our Grand Prize winner. He did say that due to his desire to spend more time writing, this would be the last year he would do so.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

In light of King's participation, I think I will start the fundraiser January 19th and run it through May 19th.

Since I don't want to fund-raise for the site at the same time, I believe I should put up the site donation button now, and leave it up until January 18th.

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Outstanding, RF! So excited to hear this and am very grateful that you asked. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Very good news.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gotta love it. Mr. King is too busy writing to write 10 words in a book for some of his most die hard fans in the world. I don't know whether to be disgusted OR happy he has that many more stories to write. LOL
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I try not to look at it in a negative way. He is getting older, and although it's just one book for us, I'm sure he's pulled in many other directions, and the cumulative time adds up. He could have simply declined, so I'm happy for our last hurrah.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I try not to look at it in a negative way. He is getting older, and although it's just one book for us, I'm sure he's pulled in many other directions, and the cumulative time adds up. He could have simply declined, so I'm happy for our last hurrah.
    Well said. I will lean towards happy. Hopefully it is a doozy of a sign too!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. I think it was fairly amazing that he did this for the fundraiser to begin with so I'm happy to hear there will be another year with an SK inscribed grand prize. Simply outstanding that he is willing to do this.

I try not to look at it in a negative way. He is getting older, and although it's just one book for us, I'm sure he's pulled in many other directions, and the cumulative time adds up. He could have simply declined, so I'm happy for out last hurrah.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Well said. I will lean towards happy. Hopefully it is a doozy of a sign too!
    And more importantly, signed to me Reading into the words "our last hurrah"; '18 will be the last year for fundraising of this nature?
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

2018 will certainly be the last year King will inscribe a book for our Grand Prize winner.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Since it's no longer a fundraiser for The Haven Foundation, and it doesn't start until 1/19/2018, I was thinking of archiving this thread in a day or two. That or changing the name.

I'd really like to focus on getting members to donate to the site over the next ~5 weeks.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well said, RF. I remember when I first joined TDT how amazed I was that King was associating so closely with this site to begin with, via this charity. I think it's a wonderful legacy of TDT.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3