Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Haven Foundation Fundraiser-Change

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I could run the site fundraiser December and January.
    Yes! This!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    I could run the site fundraiser December and January.
    Yes! This!
    I'd be in favor of a fundraiser for the site for two months.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think Jan/Feb. I think we do it as we always did... BUT for the benefit of the site. I doubt King will want any part of it BUT we could take 30/35% of the money and buy a nice limited. SO... at the end we vote on what to buy and Brian at CD does the pic! One could win an S/L Stand! WHO KNOWS... that is what would make it so fun and exciting.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The fundraiser IS one of the big events that kind of brings us all together for a common cause, plus it generates so much conversation, I'd hate to see that go away completely just because we can't donate to Haven.

I think we should certainly continue to be philanthopic to some charity, preferably King-related in some way, since King IS the main focus of the site. There must certainly be charities that SK approves of that could perhaps continue his participation. I would guess that Marsha or others with a personal connection to SK would be the ones that can find that out. To keep the artists involved, perhaps there are other Haven-type charities out there that benefit authors/artists/etc, they just need to be asked what exists like that. If SK bows out of participating, then still raise the funds with a percentage of the total being used for that Grand Prize, pretty much like Kris suggested.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TCCBodhi View Post
    The fundraiser IS one of the big events that kind of brings us all together for a common cause, plus it generates so much conversation, I'd hate to see that go away completely just because we can't donate to Haven.

I think we should certainly continue to be philanthopic to some charity, preferably King-related in some way, since King IS the main focus of the site. There must certainly be charities that SK approves of that could perhaps continue his participation. I would guess that Marsha or others with a personal connection to SK would be the ones that can find that out. To keep the artists involved, perhaps there are other Haven-type charities out there that benefit authors/artists/etc, they just need to be asked what exists like that. If SK bows out of participating, then still raise the funds with a percentage of the total being used for that Grand Prize, pretty much like Kris suggested.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the idea of having the site fundraiser extended through January. It would be awesome if King would designate another charity and continue to inscribe the Grand Prize. If it turns out that isn't possible, I like the idea of helping another charity that helps authors and artists. We'll have to brainstorm some worthy charities. The artists who've contributed might have some good ideas. Bill, perhaps you can talk to your contacts and see what they're thinking. The Grand Prize can be something like what Kris suggested, or some original art, or a remarqued edition, or etc..
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I like the idea of having the site fundraiser extended through January. It would be awesome if King would designate another charity and continue to inscribe the Grand Prize. If it turns out that isn't possible, I like the idea of helping another charity that helps authors and artists. We'll have to brainstorm some worthy charities. The artists who've contributed might have some good ideas. Bill, perhaps you can talk to your contacts and see what they're thinking. The Grand Prize can be something like what Kris suggested, or some original art, or a remarqued edition, or etc..
    +1
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    A very good point.

I'm unsure of what selection process for another charity here is. Several very good suggestions have been made including some that would involve a portion of the proceeds going to the site fees. There have also been suggestions regarding the duration. All of which have validity.

For whatever reasons I have been designated "retired". However, from strictly my own point of view I choose to let the other members, TPTB or, whomever decide what to do for the future. I am more than willing to bring whatever support and resources I can to the party, including perhaps providing a signed book of some sort for a grand prize. However, I think I will reserve that decision until a suitable charity, duration, etc has been chosen by others. If it is something I can get behind I'm there, if not I'll quietly abstain.

You all know me to be a generous person so whatever meaningful organization, duration/structure everyone agrees to I will most likely jump on the band wagon for and I am reasonably certain that most of the artists. etc can be persuaded to support it as well. So, I say we develop some sort of selection process, form a committee or something and get going ASAP. Times a wasting folks!!!! LOL LOL

Spoiler:

El Jefe? You're the leader (owner) here so I say get to the leading/owning and set out the parameters. I'll have your back as always. lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I am more than willing to bring whatever support and resources I can to the party,
    I might just hold you to that commitment.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I made an executive decision and have sent an email to Marsha (no idea if she will even respond) asking if Mr. King would once again personalize a book to our Grand Prize winner. I asked and The Bangor Public library is excited about the possibility of our site donating money to them. A $5,000 endowment gains us public recognition and allows us to specify a subject or genre for the donation to be used.

The fate rests in Mr. King's hands.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I made an executive decision and have sent an email to Marsha (no idea if she will even respond) asking if Mr. King would once again personalize a book to our Grand Prize winner. I asked and The Bangor Public library is excited about the possibility of our site donating money to them. A $5,000 endowment gains us public recognition and allows us to specify a subject or genre for the donation to be used.

I like this.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad to hear this is still moving in a positive direction!

Country
    Country Flag

AMAZING... I hope it works out and good for you for having the balls to ask brother. NICE JOB!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is good news.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What a great idea, RF...

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm excited about the idea as well and look forward to supporting the new fundraiser. Hopefully, King will be on board.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Even if King will not contribute, I'll help,out.

John

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    Ditto
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    Ditto
    Definitely, agree!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess I will not be popular for this and I'm sure the Bangor library could use the funds, but I gotta say that IMHO (and its just that, my humble opinion) there is no shortage of more deserving and impactful charities out there that are deserving of our efforts. I'm not advocating for any one charity in particular, but weigh the Bangor public library against the good deeds done by such mainstream charities as (in no particular order):

The Red Cross
    American Heart Association
    The Salvation Army
    St. Jude's Children's Huspital
    American Cancer Society
    Christian Charities

And that is just a few. Quite frankly, if Mr. King can't get behind one or more of the major charities out there (and I'm sure he contributes to a few) then I think we can just move on, on our own. As I stated I'd be willing to provide a Signed book of some import for a grand prize and also do what I can to rally the artists and publishers behind the cause with books and/or art. Just an alternate proposal for, El Jefe et al to chew on is all.

Also, something to bear in mind. Convincing artists to pivot to a charity like the BPL may prove more difficult than asking them to support a more far reaching and established charity. Now I realize this suggestion could devolve into 100 peopke proposing a 100 different charities, but I think that the core membership that has been so generous and supportive in the past could fairly quickly disregard personal bias' and settle on one, or perhaps three generally accepted charities that the proceeds could be divided amongst equally. Again, just food for thought, Boss-man/fellow members.

A quickly designed and executed poll might do the trick?

Spoiler:
    Personally, I would suggest the Shriner's Children's Hospitals because I have had first hand knowledge of their work, but I could and would certainly get behind any of the other mainstream Charities out there in the world that the membership here could also get behind. In the end, it's about helping those less fortunate and in need, no?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Whilst I bow to Bill's greater knowledge on charities and donations, (his charity works and getting others to contribute are legendary around here) on the comments above I would disagree, for the following reasons:

1. This is foremost a site that revolves around books, Stephen King books in the majority, but plenty of other authors have threads as well.
    2. RF has already made the decision and approached Bangor Library and they appear very positive about working with the site. Public recognition will also spread word about the site and potentially gain more members (and therefore the possibility of additional future donations)
    3. IMHO SK will be more inclined to donate or sign a book if the charity is associated with literature.
    4. The bigger charities, whilst doing excellent work have many, many supporters and marketing machines to spread the word and get donations, It's the smaller charities that tend to get overlooked by the general public.
    5. I don't want to annoy the Library Policeman....

JM2C
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It would be remiss not to acknowledge Bill’s charitable values, but I do have to agree with Stroppy’s points here.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Whilst I bow to Bill's greater knowledge on charities and donations, (his charity works and getting others to contribute are legendary around here) on the comments above I would disagree, for the following reasons:

1. This is foremost a site that revolves around books, Stephen King books in the majority, but plenty of other authors have threads as well.
    2. RF has already made the decision and approached Bangor Library and they appear very positive about working with the site. Public recognition will also spread word about the site and potentially gain more members (and therefore the possibility of additional future donations)
    3. IMHO SK will be more inclined to donate or sign a book if the charity is associated with literature.
    4. The bigger charities, whilst doing excellent work have many, many supporters and marketing machines to spread the word and get donations, It's the smaller charities that tend to get overlooked by the general public.
    5. I don't want to annoy the Library Policeman....

JM2C
    Regarding point 5, you’re fine

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    It would be remiss not to acknowledge Bill’s charitable values, but I do have to agree with Stroppy’s points here.
    I do as well... I think King would be more apt to get on board with this than any other charity and if you have seen the Bangor library.. it HAS to cost a lot to keep that up and running. It's beautiful AND huge!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

As this thread has developed I have checked in to see the discussion without contributing to gather the collective feeling of those here who direct the fundraiser as well as members concerns. One thought that occurred to me and perhaps others is another option (if needed/desired) might be to look to other organizations which King has noted he suggest might be worthwhile alternatives.

The Haven Foundation has a links page which might be a resource to consider alternative charities which support writers and/or artists.
    http://www.thehavenfdn.org/links
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring
    will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast