Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Issue with shipping valuable book to USA for consignment - Advice needed

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Filling out the form (if required) is easy for a private party. Of course it's even easier if one can simply provide their SSN to Fedex and retrieve the package. The person may still be held accountable at a later time for the state sales tax.
    Take a look at the form, it looks more confusing than it really is.
    Here's what a Private Party needs to do to complete the form:

If you look at the form, all they really need is your name address and SSN.

I believe box 1 is left empty.
    Box 2B would contain your SSN. Since you gave a SSN, box 2C would be checked on "I have no IRS Number".
    2D is left blank.
    Box 3 is your name.
    Boxes 4 and 5 are left blank.
    Box 6 is checked "Individual".
    7-10 are self explanatory.
    Leave 11 blank.
    12-15 are a repeat of the info provided on the previous boxes, just fill the info in.
    16 is left blank.
    Box 17A and 17B would be checked "NO".
    Box 17C is left blank.
    Box 18-21 are self explanatory.
    Box 22 is left blank.

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

There is no tax for receiving goods to resell. There are no customs charges. And you are right "all they really need is your name address and SSN." You are one of the only ones who provided help (above and earlier).

John

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sad fact is that it really doesn't pay to insure the books. Even in the case of such as expensive one described herein. After several incidents in my own experience its almost impossible to get the insurance company to pay. Especially, when shipping international as in this case. If your book had been lost or damaged the UK shipper would have thrown blame on Fed Ex and vice versa. that failing they would through all the red tape fuck you around on exactly who is able to actually make the claim. The shipper (Tim) or VFB. By the time you've gone through all the hoops would probably try to put the fault on the actual local deliverer or some shit. All in all, IMHO it just doesn't pay to fork over the money in the first place and just ship the book and cross your fingers. Fortunately, the odds of a safe delivery are pretty good in your favor.

All of which is to say that if you avoid the shipping insurance in the first place you likely avoid any tax/tariff issues, Probably better to insure the book in your collection locally and if damaged in transit make claim against your local insurance firm. You could make an insurance claim for water damage or any excuse and get reimbursed locally if you see what I mean. Just my three beans on the subject of course.

I hope you are able to resolve this situation to your satisfaction. For what it's worth, this sucks, buddy!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am pleased to say that Emmanuel at VFB, completed the customs form and has now taken delivery of my book.

I am very grateful for all the help I have received in bringing this matter to a successful conclusion. You guys ROCK!!!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    I am pleased to say that Emmanuel at VFB, completed the customs form and has now taken delivery of my book.

sk

Citizen of Gilead darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

I am very grateful for all the help I have received in bringing this matter to a successful conclusion. You guys ROCK!!!

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Great news, Tim. I hope you sell it quickly as well.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad we can put this behind us. If any lesson(s) can be learned from this they are:
    Don't be quick to reveal a highly regarded bookseller/private party. Community help can (and did) provide advice that ended up getting the issue resolved.
    Don't be so quick to disparage-particularly in graphic terms someone. Give them a chance to respond, either publicly or privately.

Hopefully we can put this behind us, and be confident that VFB did the right thing, and thus maintains a rather stellar reputation.

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

+1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2