Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: King's most underrated books?

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default King's most underrated books?

Just curious as to which books of his don't get the attention they deserve.

For me, I think it's 'Roadwork'. The other Bachman books seem to be fairly high regarded (or infamous in the case of 'Rage') among King's canon but this one fell through the cracks. I think it's a solid and engrossing character study.

After that maybe 'Rose Madder'. According to King it's his least read book and his DT avatar calls it a misfire but I think it's one his best female lead books. I actually gave it to my mom a while ago who's never read any of SK's stuff and she liked it a lot.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Definitely Rose Madder for me, and Insomnia. I do not understand the dislike for these two.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Insomnia for me too. 100%. I LOVED that book.. the ending was like the ending of the 6th Sense for me... had no idea. It also made me VERY aware of age... and I have been since then. That is def my choice.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Roadwork says some interesting things about marriage and the simple need to be supported by someone.

Danse Macabre is more fun and interesting than people seem to realize.

It's been a long time since I've read Insomnia and I forget more than I'd care to admit, but I recall going from "wow, this is taking a loooong time to get going, even for King" to "this has changed my life" by the end of it.

I don't know if I can call Salem's Lot underrated as it's well liked, but when I think about it, I think (in a way) it is the perfect horror novel.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For me, it's Lisey's Story. I think it's an interesting commentary on long-term relationships and how different we are with the people we love as opposed to the outside world. I have read it 3 times and liked it more with each read.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

+1

Lisey's Story was damn good.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Roadwork for me. Blaze as well. And I also very much enjoyed Lisey’s.

Gunslinger Apprentice Zidan will become famous soon enough Zidan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Insomnia is that book for me. Several people told me not to bother with it and I'm glad I ignored them. The prologue is brilliant, bested only by the epilogue. A wonderful tale about life, death, and old age. I've come to view Insomnia as both the follow-up to IT, as well as an essential Dark Tower book. Beyond that, however, it is also a beautiful stand-alone novel.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Its funny, for me Roadwork is the only novel of his that I have read that I have no recollection of whatsoever. (granted its been 30 years, but even 15 years ago I had no recollection). Liseys story and rose Madder are in my bottom 5. Insomnia is somewhere in the middle, I too thought it took a very long time to get going, but enjoyed it once it did. (took two attempts to get through it).

Its hard to say which of his underrated books I like, because I am not sure all of which books are considered underrated, but I would probably include Doctor Sleep and Revival in the list. While I don't list these in my top 10 SK books, I think they are better then people give them credit for.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have never read a SK book I didn't like. From a buick 8 seems to get ignored a lot but I loved it... a portal into the darkness out side our realms!!! Rose madder was great I have two copies... insomnia blew my mind! All good, all of them...

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I agree with Rose Madder. I thought it was a great, solid story.

I think Desperation is underrated.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Insomnia, Rose Madder, Desperation, Lisey's Story - all +1! I liked Danse Macabre as well. I haven't read Roadwork, I believe....

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Not sure if The Long Walk is considered underrated, but you don't hear too much talk about it. It's easily one of my top books of all-time, such a great story.

Another favorite of mine is Duma Key. Beautiful story, and I absolutely love all the vivid images it creates in your mind as you read it. I really want a real life version of one of the Girl and Ship paintings. Although I know it'll probably pale in comparison to what I imagined in my mind.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Desperation for sure. Most people blow it off for an AA meeting but I loved it. It introduced me to King and forever made me mistrust cops and lonely desert towns.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Not sure if The Long Walk is considered underrated, but you don't hear too much talk about it. It's easily one of my top books of all-time, such a great story.

Another favorite of mine is Duma Key. Beautiful story, and I absolutely love all the vivid images it creates in your mind as you read it. I really want a real life version of one of the Girl and Ship paintings. Although I know it'll probably pale in comparison to what I imagined in my mind.
    +1 for Duma Key. I read the book and I was just so invested in it, that I cried when
    Spoiler:
    Edgar's art show went so well. I was just so happy for him.
    I even cried on the re-read of the audiobook. I too would love a Girl and Ship painting!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

+ 1 on The Long Walk, certainly not underrated, but possibly under read.

My vote would be Wizard and Glass. The problem is it sits right in between the best (IMHO) part of the books where Blaine is riddling the Ka-tet. I remember FINALLY the book being published after 6 YEARS!! and suddenly the story goes off on a complete tangent. I was so pissed! for the next few subsequent re-reads of the entire set, I used to skip the Magis story and just read the start and end of the book as if it wasn't there

These days, It's one of my absolute favourites, some of King's best writing and real expansion of the world and its characters. I would love to read more about that part of Roland's life.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post

+1 for Duma Key. I read the book and I was just so invested in it, that I cried when
    Spoiler:
    Edgar's art show went so well. I was just so happy for him.
    I even cried on the re-read of the audiobook. I too would love a Girl and Ship painting!
    I listened to the audiobook when I reread it a few months ago. The narrator was absolutely fantastic.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    For fucking sure.

Traveler InsufficientData is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I've never heard anyone highly regard The Eyes of the Dragon, which is one of his best - in my opinion. So I think that, Black House and Insomnia. I also like Dreamcatcher, but most of the criticisms for that book are rightly deserved.

Traveler InsufficientData is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I've never heard anyone highly praise The Eyes Of The Dragon, which (in my opinion) is one of his best works. Along with that, I'd say Black House and Insomnia. I also like Dreamcatcher, though I do think that it deserves the majority of the critisim it recieves, so I wouldn't say it's underrated, exactly.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by InsufficientData View Post
    Personally, I've never heard anyone highly regard The Eyes of the Dragon, which is one of his best - in my opinion. So I think that, Black House and Insomnia. I also like Dreamcatcher, but most of the criticisms for that book are rightly deserved.
    You know I really liked Dreamcatcher too...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Another favorite of mine is Duma Key. Beautiful story, and I absolutely love all the vivid images it creates in your mind as you read it.
    yes, love!

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    How can it be? It's in my top five!
    ***alarmed bear***

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    From a buick 8 seems to get ignored a lot but I loved it...
    so did bears!

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Roadwork for me.
    a big THANK YOU for having said this. One of my favorite novels by King, and one of the saddest, most disturbing stories I know; hits me on some deep personal level.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    You know I really liked Dreamcatcher too...
    Same here. Or rather, I never understood many people's disliking it. I mean, what's to dislike? It's a decent story, reasonably scary, reasonably crazy, very moving at times, somewhat slow, but, hell, all best King's novels are; most often it's the slower the better - who wouldn't wish The Stand or It lasted forever?
    Spoiler:
    Yes, I remember that one of my beloved ladies here wouldn't. But nevertheless.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread