Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Full Disclosure: What is the most you ever spent (or would spend) on a King item?

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    I don't know if this counts but I was theoretically the owner of an asbestos FIRESTARTER for a few, brief shining moments, which I was willing to pay over $14,000 for. Alas it did not work out quite the way I expected.
    The story is here as a cautionary tale on the dangers of ebay for anyone interested.
    You are telling me that the ORIGINAL cover art that you own was cheaper than a lettered Fire-starter? If that's the case then I would just stick with the art...
    Haha. All Im saying is that I was willing to pay $14K on something that didn't work out once.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Paul Suntup's rebound IT......

Same here.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was ready to drop $25K on a King item... I did whatever I could to try and come up with the money (it was art.. Whelan) and at that time it was $35'ish Canadian and that was just too far out of my reach. I had to pass. I don't regret it to be honest.. but think on it often.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I was ready to drop $25K on a King item... I did whatever I could to try and come up with the money (it was art.. Whelan) and at that time it was $35'ish Canadian and that was just too far out of my reach. I had to pass. I don't regret it to be honest.. but think on it often.
    What did Whelan produce that is worth $25k?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Full Disclosure: What is the most you ever spent (or would spend) on a King item?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    What did Whelan produce that is worth $25k?
    He has produced works more than that dude. I know many people who have paid over $40k US for his large originals. Some here on our very boards. Not to mention, works from the original Gunslinger book (Bob had 3!) are worth much more.... but I would be hesitant to say exactly how much... but will say much more. So yes... many works over $25k... MANY.

EDIT: and I’m only talking King related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Issue price of Centipede 'Salem's Lot deluxe.
    Ditto! Think it was $900.. or $950.. Then I spent about $100 Fed Ex-ing both it and my copy of the numbered edition back to the bindery to fix some fairly major issues. Both came back perfect, though, thankfully.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

$1500 on a DT7 Whelan original published ink drawing (which I don't get until Christmas).

I would spend $7K on a lettered Regulators if I could.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

The most I've paid for any single King item is $800 for a Grant DT II S/L.

(My incomplete matching DT S/L set was more in total, of course, but less than $800 per volume)

Notable mention is a Gunslinger 1/1 in shrinkwrap, for which I paid $500 about 15 years ago - more *by far* than I'd spent on a book until then, and for many years thereafter.

HBJ

Along the Path of the Beam Starkraven7 is on a distinguished road Starkraven7's Avatar

$750 for a signed and annotated End of Watch won through Owen's recent auction. Still worth it! I'm definitely a sucker for an auction.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Honestly, I haven't spent a penny of my money (I secretly use my wife's she just doesn't know it yet)......oh....... hi honey, I didn't see you standing behind me.....hey, what are you doing with that knife...........
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking of the wife....Mine spent 2K (The most spent on any published book in my collection) for this....
    Spoiler:

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tell her to drop me a line if she would like to double her money.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone have a cure for a woman who is suffering from hysterical laughter?

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My DT Matching number set, same price as Kris $15k.

Next, my PS Lettered Thinner at issue price.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

$1800 for The Stand S/L
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

11K for a DT matching set, but I returned it a couple of weeks latter due to undisclosed defects.

$3800 for The Stand Lettered
    $3800 for Skeleton Crew Lettered (from Betts recently)

Most I would spend would be 12-13K for a DT matching set.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    $1800 for The Stand S/L
    I keep telling myself that someday I'll spring for that edition @ $2K'ish, but I doubt I ever will. The most I've ever spent on a King item is $350...so it would take going waayy out of my comfort zone to go for it. I can afford it, but I guess my King mania is not extreme enough for me to justify it. Still though...some days the Want is worse than others, so who knows...

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Back in 2003 I said I'd never spend more than $40 in a book. Then the next year Grant Books announced the pack of Black House+The Talisman gift+The Dark Tower 7 Artist for $165, and I said "Well...it's a little more but not that much". But when I saw their quality I thought "Well...I could buy a couple of gift editions". Desperation arrived 3 months later. Then Insomnia. And what a fool I'd be if I don't buy that gift edition of From a Buick 8 for $65!" And now I have DT7 Artist but I don't have 5 or 6, and I need them. But no matter what, I'd not buy a signed copy. $200 dollars is way too much."

And here I am, 15 years later, 80 books signed by King, almost 800 King books and a full room for his works.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Rebound IT and before that, Rebound Firestarter. I could not afford either one without the installments (Thanks Paul!). The most I've ever spent in one payment would be Cemetery Dance's S/L of Sleeping Beauties

Country
    Country Flag

I can say this... all I have spent... has been worth it. The joy I get from getting a rare book is just... extremely exhilarating!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Back in 2003 I said I'd never spend more than $40 in a book. Then the next year Grant Books announced the pack of Black House+The Talisman gift+The Dark Tower 7 Artist for $165, and I said "Well...it's a little more but not that much". But when I saw their quality I thought "Well...I could buy a couple of gift editions". Desperation arrived 3 months later. Then Insomnia. And what a fool I'd be if I don't buy that gift edition of From a Buick 8 for $65!" And now I have DT7 Artist but I don't have 5 or 6, and I need them. But no matter what, I'd not buy a signed copy. $200 dollars is way too much."

And here I am, 15 years later, 80 books signed by King, almost 800 King books and a full room for his works.
    Yeah, I sure get that... but I've been doing this book thing now for thirty years, so my budgetary parameters are pretty well fixed and not likely to move. I have spent more than that $350 aforementioned price tag -- several times, in fact -- but it wasn't on a King book…I'm afraid I just don't read or collect him with the passion that many others here do ( which doesn't diminish my desire for the s/l of THE STAND, though, that's for sure :-)).

Along the Path of the Beam Starkraven7 is on a distinguished road Starkraven7's Avatar

I can say this... all I have spent... has been worth it. The joy I get from getting a rare book is just... extremely exhilarating!!!
    I say Amen to that!!!

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

It's OK Ari, 30 years ago I wanted HB's of each book, then I discovered short stories in magazines, then I won some lotteries for signed limiteds, then I 'needed' a copy of every book signed, then
    lettered copies and rareties... and here I am with 450+ signed items and over 4000 King related items! It is an addiction! I call it "Friends of SK"

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

While my mostly-complete set of DT books would be the most expensive taken as a whole, the most I've paid for a single novel is the coffin/bible S/L of The Stand.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice playdohman has a spectacular aura about playdohman has a spectacular aura about playdohman has a spectacular aura about playdohman's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So far, the CD Sleeping Beauties lettered $2,500 and Gwendy's Button Box lettered, $1,750. Before these two I had not spent over $1000 on any one single book.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast