Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who should or should not sign a book?

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

Default Who should or should not sign a book?

In general, if you have a trade edition of a book that includes a forward by another author, it is not unheard of to ask the author of the forward sign the book as well as the author themselves.

But what about a S/L? If you had the chance would you have the author of the forward sign later as well? Would you try to fit it on the Limitations Page, or somewhere else? Or would it just not be appropriate, possibly even lowering the value of the S/L?
    Thanks!
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I like association signatures (which I'm not clear if what you describe would even be considered an association signature since technically that person had a hand in creating the text of the book) myself but most collectors will tell you to leave it pristine. A PC copy would be ideal. I got my S/L of The Hellbound Heart signed by Doug Bradley right on the limitation page and don't regret it at all but as I said earlier, most collectors will tell you to don't do it.

Bradley didn't write a word of my limited but if he had wrote the forward, I would have gotten him to sign under his printed name on the first page of the forward.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like my S/L books as issued - no extra signatures, Remarques, etc.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    I like my S/L books as issued - no extra signatures, Remarques, etc.
    100%. Only time I change it if they don’t come with protection... traycase or slipcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

In this case it is a s/l of Josh Malerman’s Goblin with a forward by James Moore. I will be seeing Moore tomorrow and the thought crossed my mind. In truth, my very first instinct was “no”, but thought I would get other opinions. Thanks for the input!
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I also typically like S/Ls as issued, but I would be pleased to have the author of a foreword of afterword sign a S/L; I see no danger of devaluing it or otherwise marring it. Tough to know where to have them sign, though...I'd probably have them do it at the top of the first page of their foreword or afterword, NOT on the official sig/limitation page.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    In this case it is a s/l of Josh Malerman’s Goblin with a forward by James Moore. I will be seeing Moore tomorrow and the thought crossed my mind. In truth, my very first instinct was “no”, but thought I would get other opinions. Thanks for the input!
    Go for it. It's doubtful Moore's signature will have any effect on the value either way but you'll have a unique book.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

THEY ARE MY BOOKS & I will have ANYBODY I WANT TO SIGN THEM!
    (As long as the person had something to do with the book or the movies it was made from!)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    THEY ARE MY BOOKS & I will have ANYBODY I WANT TO SIGN THEM!
    (As long as the person had something to do with the book or the movies it was made from!)

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I like extras in my books, S/Ls or trade editions... if the person was a part of the design, content, art, etc, I would add a remarque or a signature. No remarques for me from artists that didn't have anything to do with the book though.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's an interesting question...

My first thought is: hell yea!

But on second thought, I think I might feel differently for S/L versus other editions.

For non-S/L books, I love the idea of having more people who are involved sign the book, no question. I like inscriptions, to me or others, notes, remarques. I even dig book plates from other authors (and I also have a small sub-collection of first editions that have old book store stickers on the back board for book stores that have unfortunately gone extinct). To me it adds some "romance" to the book, knowing that it's passed through the hands of people whose work I read and admire. I have a first edition of a book about a 18th century "madam" where all the salacious known customers had blank names such as T------ B------. It formerly belonged to John Fowles, has his bookplate, and he even filled in as many names as he could while he was reading it! I treasure it.

For S/L books, I can't make up my mind. I have a S/L copy of Centipede Press's TAROVF that is inscribed to me and includes one of my favorite quotes from the book, right on the limitation page. I love it, but I'm honestly not sure if I would pay more or less for a book at auction that had someone else's name and quote. For most of my other S/L, I don't know if I would do the same or not. Some are obvious (to me) "yes's": I'd love to have Stephen King sign my S/L copy of CP's Knowing Darkness. But I think it comes down to whether I collect that author or not. If there was a S/L that Stephen King, or Tim Powers, or Thomas Ligotti, or one of the other authors I collect contributed to but was not included on the limitation page: probably yes. An author I don't collect: probably not. That distinction is also one of the separating factors for "books I will never get rid of ever" and "books I would sell for the right price"... so maybe that's what's driving my decision.

I definitely did not think I'd be contemplating this today! Thanks for the interesting exercise

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Technically my question is not off topic because it definitely falls under the "who should or should not sign a book?" umbrella, but it is a bit different from what people are discussing here.

It wouldn't involve a collectible or limited edition, and the person signing it wouldn't have any connection with creating the book or the edition itself (not an illustrator, editor, author). I'll present the scenario I'm contemplating and I'd be curious to know what people think.

For the last 3 Decembers (2015 - 2017), my family and I have attended a fantastic stage adaptation of A Christmas Carol. The actor who plays Scrooge (still in full costume) has allowed attendees to take selfies with him after the show, and as for myself, for the 2 most recent times we've attended, I've been the first person in the crowd to shake his hand upon completion of the show.

So, here's the question: would it be cheesy to bring a copy of A Christmas Carol to the play and ask him to sign it afterwards? Again, it wouldn't be a special edition, so impacting the value would not be a concern. I waver between enthusiasm and hideous embarrassment about it.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger Apprentice TacomaDiver will become famous soon enough TacomaDiver will become famous soon enough

When Andy Weir came through the Seattle area a few months ago, I had him sign my Sub Press Ready Player One since he contributed a short story to it. Some collectors took issue with me having an extra signature added to the book but he contributed so I don't know what the issue was. He signed on the title page of his story.

I also had Jason Gurley, who did the cover art for Sub Press's Wool Trilogy since all three books - he said that he only had signed one other set at that time and he signed on the copyright page since that was the only place his name appeared. Again, I took a SL edition and added an extra set of signatures to it.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For an S/L, I just want the author and artist.

For any King signed trade edition, I wouldn't have anyone else sign it.

I do like stand-alone association sigs from actors associated with the movie or anyone related to the book. My favorite is a copy of 11.22.63 signed by Clint Hill - the secret service agent who climbed on JFK's car just moments after the assassination - and Buell Frazier who drove Oswald and his rifle to the Texas School Book Depository on the day he assassinated JFK. Frazier was also inadvertently responsible for the chain of events that led to the assassination because he got a job at the TSBD and that was ultimately how Oswald learned of the job opening that led to his employment there. I also got the actors from the movie to sign my copy of Pet Sematary and Traci Lords to sign Tommyknockers.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    ...Traci Lords to sign Tommyknockers.
    As in, she signed it right there in front of you, or you had it done?

If the former...how did that go?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    When Andy Weir came through the Seattle area a few months ago, I had him sign my Sub Press Ready Player One since he contributed a short story to it. Some collectors took issue with me having an extra signature added to the book but he contributed so I don't know what the issue was. He signed on the title page of his story.

I also had Jason Gurley, who did the cover art for Sub Press's Wool Trilogy since all three books - he said that he only had signed one other set at that time and he signed on the copyright page since that was the only place his name appeared. Again, I took a SL edition and added an extra set of signatures to it.
    It's your book. What does it matter what other collector's think? For me, there'd have to be some connection to the book, but it wouldn't be a connection I'd feel the need to justify. If I could have Bill Skarsgard sign my CD edition of IT, I'd do it. If that devalues the book in someone else's opinion, so what? This isn't blackjack. Your moves won't effect someone else's fortune. But what do I know.

James Purefoy is signing the lettered edition of Lansdale's Rusty Puppy. Purefoy stars in Hap and Leonard and he's also writing the Introduction. So that tells me there's recent precedent for the OP's question.

GO for it! I think it would be cool.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    ...Traci Lords to sign Tommyknockers.
    As in, she signed it right there in front of you, or you had it done?

If the former...how did that go?
    She signed it for me at a horror con. For some unknown reason, she signs her name as Traci Lord instead of Lords.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Her sig from Wikipedia, looks like a little something after the d....

is that close to what your signature looks like?

+ Reply to Thread