Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Stay Tuned! - The upcoming TV show thread

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Since the first teaser was very cool but showed nothing, here's one that shows something:

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I suppose they're calling it The Conners because there was already a TV show called The Leftovers.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe they will write Roseanne into the The Manifest. Crossover craziness and then restart Roseanne five seasons from now.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I suppose they're calling it The Conners because there was already a TV show called The Leftovers.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I'm so conflicted on this. On one hand, I grew up watching Roseanne and it has always been one of my favorite sitcoms. I've always related to it pretty well since I myself am part of a middle-class family living in a fairly small town in Illinois (near Chicago) with 3 kids. The only difference is that I have 3 girls instead of 2 girls and a boy. Although my oldest is a blonde and my middle one has dark hair and wears black a lot.

I've never been a huge fan of Roseanne the person but I've always been able to separate that from Roseanne the character on the show. It's similar to Tim Allen and the whole cancellation and return of his show because of his politics. I didn't watch the show because I cared about his political thoughts. The same way I don't really care about whether or not Roseanne is a racist.

I certainly don't agree with what she tweeted out and I don't really believe her excuses for doing it. She was on medication... She didn't know the woman was black... Whatever...

Sure the network is well within their rights to not want to be associated with her and I'm glad their bringing the show back as to not punish all the other people who would be out of a job without it, but it's not going to be the same show without her.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Am I the only person who really doesn't understand why all the retreads? Roseanne (which I never watched) but now I see the ad for the old Tom Selleck show (and I do watch Blue Bloods in spite of his politics), Murphy Brown, Hawaii 5-0, MacGuyver, etc. Maybe there is a generation now that doesn't remember the originals, but I'll never forget marching to the 5-0 theme every half-time and going to see where they filmed it. I have no interest in watching that stuff again. Just too many platforms and not enough creativity to fill them? (OK. Maybe if they had a JAG remake with David James Elliot and Catherine Bell...)

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Am I the only person who really doesn't understand why all the retreads? Roseanne (which I never watched) but now I see the ad for the old Tom Selleck show (and I do watch Blue Bloods in spite of his politics), Murphy Brown, Hawaii 5-0, MacGuyver, etc. Maybe there is a generation now that doesn't remember the originals, but I'll never forget marching to the 5-0 theme every half-time and going to see where they filmed it. I have no interest in watching that stuff again. Just too many platforms and not enough creativity to fill them? (OK. Maybe if they had a JAG remake with David James Elliot and Catherine Bell...)
    It's a common refrain that they haven't had a new idea in Hollywood in years. TV shows based on old movies. Movies made from old TV shows. TV shows getting revived with the old kids characters now grown up (Rosanne, Boy Meets World, Fuller House). Sequels, reboots, etc... It's been happening for a pretty long time.

I think at least some of it is that the people that grew up watching those TV shows and movies from the 70's and 80's are the ones that are currently making a lot of the sequels and reboots.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    It's a common refrain that they haven't had a new idea in Hollywood in years. TV shows based on old movies. Movies made from old TV shows. TV shows getting revived with the old kids characters now grown up (Rosanne, Boy Meets World, Fuller House). Sequels, reboots, etc... It's been happening for a pretty long time.

I think at least some of it is that the people that grew up watching those TV shows and movies from the 70's and 80's are the ones that are currently making a lot of the sequels and reboots.
    I direct your attention to a video I posted on this very topic not too long ago:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...=1#post1120062

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh. Thanks. I just watched it. I'll be honest - I never watch any video, except when there was the song contest. Just me.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The generation that doesn't remember the originals are not the audience. The younger generation isn't even watching TV for the most part. In fact, the demographic for those shows is the exact same people that watched those shows to begin with. I for one refuse to watch most of them though. Especially MacGuyver, which is an assault on all I find holy.

Creativity isn't the problem either. Look at all the other networks including streaming that are killing it. It's just that mainstream TV audiences are easy to please and they certainly don't want to expend a ton of brain power at the end of a long day. Original shows continue to get ignored. What you aren't mentioning are the tons of cop, doctor, lawyer, firefighter shows. They may not have the same name as shows in the past, but they are essentially the same. It's actually kind of sad.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Audiences are the problem. If we keep giving Hollywood our money for reboots, sequels and prequels, they will continue to produce them. Everytime something new and original comes out and nobody goes to watch it, then Hollywood thinks audiences don't want that. So they make more of the same old shit.

A film like Swiss Army Man comes to mind. It's highly original, yet most people would have avoided a film like that like the plague.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I don't watch them. (Do we need another Star Is Born? Is it the third or fourth?) I think the last remake I watched was Battlestar Galactica. I watch a lot of tv, but find more and more not watching a lot of the shows on the "three" channels. Or four - I guess FOX counts now. Anything British on PBS and the Canadians are hooking me with shows like X Company and Private Eyes. Even Versilles which is French? British? And good ol' soaps - Queen Sugar is one of the best shows on TV. Not to say I don't watch a lot of junk, hmm think it's time for Wrecked...

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Audiences are the problem. If we keep giving Hollywood our money for reboots, sequels and prequels, they will continue to produce them. Everytime something new and original comes out and nobody goes to watch it, then Hollywood thinks audiences don't want that. So they make more of the same old shit.

A film like Swiss Army Man comes to mind. It's highly original, yet most people would have avoided a film like that like the plague.
    I'm sure the studio execs like the sequels and reboots because they are usually fairly safe. It's like "Hey! Remember this thing from when you were a kid? Here's something that's also similair to that thing so spend money to see it!"

But to me it's cliche so say that that's only what they come out with anymore. I think there are also a ton of original ideas and I enjoy both.

Stranger Things is an original idea. Sure it's based on some 80's nostalgia but it's still an original idea. Mr Robot, Humans, Black Mirror to name a few shows off the top of my head. Even all the Marvel movies are technically original even though they using characters that have been around for decades.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I don't watch them. (Do we need another Star Is Born? Is it the third or fourth?) I think the last remake I watched was Battlestar Galactica. I watch a lot of tv, but find more and more not watching a lot of the shows on the "three" channels. Or four - I guess FOX counts now. Anything British on PBS and the Canadians are hooking me with shows like X Company and Private Eyes. Even Versilles which is French? British? And good ol' soaps - Queen Sugar is one of the best shows on TV. Not to say I don't watch a lot of junk, hmm think it's time for Wrecked...
    I'm glad you mentioned wrecked. I have a lot of fun with that show.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I watched the first episode of The Purge last night and was actually pretty impressed. That first episode was better than nearly all of The First Purge. Glad to see they're taking their time with character development before the craziness begins.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Another video on nostalgia in media though I disagree that the 1990s will be the last nostalgia decade. This has been happening for decades if not centuries, many people who grow up in a given decade will inevitably feel nostalgic for their childhoods when they're in their 20s and 30s, that's just how humans work. So kids that are growing up in the 2010s now will obviously feel nostalgic for the "good old times" in the 2030s or '40s.

Country
    Country Flag

Alright, I watched that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Another video on nostalgia in media though I disagree that the 1990s will be the last nostalgia decade. This has been happening for decades if not centuries, many people who grow up in a given decade will inevitably feel nostalgic for their childhoods when they're in their 20s and 30s, that's just how humans work. So kids that are growing up in the 2010s now will obviously feel nostalgic for the "good old times" in the 2030s or '40s.

It's hard to disagree with the video. I hadn't heard the word "monoculture" before but that's perfectly describes what's happening with kids today. They don't even watch TV anymore. They watch Youtube videos. They don't really have any shared experiences besides texting and messaging each other.

I can see it happening with my kids. I have 2 in their 20's already and although they talk about things they remember from when they were younger I'm not sure how much of it was shared with the rest of their peers.

Country
    Country Flag

They don't even watch TV anymore. They watch Youtube videos.
    That's true, but they watch the same videos and share them (kinda like I'm doing now). I have a brother who's turning 20 this month and he and his friends are always on their phones, on Twitter and Facetime and whatnot, and I'm sure when he'll be in his 30s he'll look back at those stupid videos fondly.

They don't even watch TV anymore. They watch Youtube videos.
    That's true, but they watch the same videos and share them (kinda like I'm doing now). I have a brother who's turning 20 this month and he and his friends are always on their phones, on Twitter and Facetime and whatnot, and I'm sure when he'll be in his 30s he'll look back at those stupid videos fondly.
    I'm not so sure about this. When it was TV shows there were a whole lot fewer choices. Today there are so many videos out there, that they can find their own little niche and never even see or hear about the videos that millions of other kids are watching. My kids have a handful of specific YT channels and people that they watch. Then they'll meet other kids and talk to them and they've never heard of the videos they watch.

We caught a few minutes of the Nickelodeon Teen choice awards a few years ago and one the awards was for best Youtuber or something like that. My kids only knew like 2 of the 5 nominees.

So sure, they'll remember fondly the videos they specifically watched, but it won't be a shared experience across their entire generation like it was for us and Saturday morning cartoons.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it will still be thought of as a shared experience. It will be different but youtube will be the "hub" of these memories. Just a week or so ago I heard two teenagers discussing their favorite and funniest memes. Some they didn't share knowledge of them together but they were laughing about them anyway.

So sure, they'll remember fondly the videos they specifically watched, but it won't be a shared experience across their entire generation like it was for us and Saturday morning cartoons.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It's hard to disagree with the video. I hadn't heard the word "monoculture" before but that's perfectly describes what's happening with kids today. They don't even watch TV anymore. They watch Youtube videos. They don't really have any shared experiences besides texting and messaging each other.

I can see it happening with my kids. I have 2 in their 20's already and although they talk about things they remember from when they were younger I'm not sure how much of it was shared with the rest of their peers.
    I say that all the time. I just don't think this current generation are attaching memories to things like TV, Film video games etc. Yes, they may pass around silly videos to one another, but 20 years from now will they be wearing t-shirts of those videos or tattooing them on their bodies?

I doubt it. I can list 2 dozen things from my childhood that literally help form the person I am today. I don't think that will be the case for the current generation. They also have zero knowledge of almost everything that came before them. I wasn't alive when I Love Lucy was on the air, but I remember watching reruns etc.

Country
    Country Flag

This looks incredibly adorable:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast