Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Please vote for the winner!!!

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • T-Rex attack - Jurassic Park (1993)

5 29.41%
  • The Shower scene - Psycho (1960)

12 70.59%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Movie Scene Tournament: The Final

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Movie Scene Tournament: The Final

This is it folks, the Final of The Best Movie Scene Tournament! Please vote for the movie scene you would like to win.

IMPORTANT! Please do not simply vote on name recognition (or lack thereof) alone. Please do watch each nomination and then make your choice. Even if you think you know a movie scene well, it's still worth watching for a refresher.

Please remember that his tournament is for Best Scene, not Best Movie.
    It's important to therefore judge each nomination on its individual merits and NOT by the entire movie.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

IMPORTANT! There will be no tiebreaker poll. In the event of a tie, the number of "stated votes" within the thread will determine the winner.

The nominees are:

T-Rex attack - Jurassic Park (1993)

The Shower scene - Psycho (1960)

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well when I seen TREX attack the first time... I was thrilled. When I seen the shower scene the first time... I rolled my eyes. So we know my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Shower scene.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've considered it the greatest movie scene of all-time long before this tournament. No reason to change now.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I've considered it the greatest movie scene of all-time long before this tournament. No reason to change now.
    Yup.

But really pleasantly surprised that the T-Rex scene got this far. That is still, these many years since, one of the best special effects wonders ever, and such a heart pounding scene. It's worthy of second place.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love the T-Rex scene, but as there can only be one winner: Psycho!

sk

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Have to go with the classic - Norman Bates for the kill win!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Psycho for the win! I love the T-Rex scene. And vividly remember seeing the movie for the first time in theaters. The special effects were amazing. That said though, the shower scene from Psycho is brilliant. It's perfectly filmed. The camera work is phenomenal. And the impact it's had on film can not be ignored.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...o-shower-scene
    The title is a technical term: 78 camera setups and 52 cuts, the extraordinarily labour-intensive work that went into the shower scene from Alfred Hitchcock’s classic 1960 shocker Psycho, a sequence which took fully seven days of a 30-day schedule.

Alexandre O Philippe’s documentary is a tribute to this extraordinary moment in film history: electrifying, audacious, a smash-and-grab raid on on territory previously considered impossible or unacceptable. Philippe assembles a mighty chorus of directors and cinephile heavy-hitters such as Walter Murch, David Thomson, Sam Raimi, Eli Roth, Peter Bogdanovich, Bret Easton Ellis and Guillermo del Toro to rave enthusiastically about this scene – where it came from, how it was put together, and where it took cinema from then on (though disappointingly this lineup doesn’t include Gus Van Sant, the film-maker who has engaged with the scene more intensely than anyone, having directed a shot-for-shot remake in 1998).

Perhaps this is (tacitly) considered a kind of desecration or hubris, which means that Van Sant’s own opinion is now ruled out of court. Perhaps there should have been more space for noting that if this was a failure, it was an honourable failure, particularly in respect of the creative theme variations Van Sant introduced, such as restoring the “forbidden” shot from the original shower scene storyboard, the moment where Marion Crane’s body is shown slumped, with stab-wounds and buttocks visible.

There are some interesting insights here – and a fair bit of redundant and derivative waffle; it’s a much-discussed subject and this documentary doesn’t have the originality of Kent Jones’s Hitchcock/Truffaut (2015), about the great encounter of these two directors, or Johan Grimonprez’s fantastical Double Take (2010), using clips from Hitchcock’s TV show to imagine a Borgesian encounter between young Hitchcock and old Hitchcock.

78/52 has a fair few pointless shots of guys sitting watching the shower scene on TV and saying not much more than “Wow!” and “Whoah!” Which of course is fine – although there’s a kind of self-policing in this discussion, and an obvious need not to seem so uncool or unsophisticated as to appear to be criticising the scene in any way, that prevents people talking about the dark streak of misogyny which, like it or not, partly fuelled the diabolical brilliance of this scene. There’s a lot of contextualisation in this documentary, but no one talks about Tippi Hedren’s experience some years later of being abused and menaced by Hitchcock in real life. It’s quite relevant to any discussion of what was going on in the director’s head when he shot the shower scene with Janet Leigh.

But there is some engaging material, and I particularly enjoyed Del Toro’s description of the shower scene as the “perfect stainless-steel trap” and there are some very witty and aposite clips of previous Hitchcock movies, from The Lodger to Rear Window, to suggest that everything in his work had been leading up to the Bates Motel shower scene as a crowning masterpiece: all the sense of transgression, vulnerability, anxiety, denial, fear, arbitrary extinction.

The documentary puts Psycho at the very tipping point of US history, a spasm of fear after the certainties and complacencies of the 1950s and postwar prosperity – but before the Kennedy assassination, civil rights and Vietnam. Bogdanovich talks interestingly about billing in the 1920s and 30s: how women were routinely above the title before the second world war, but male stars progressively muscled them out of the way, and how the murder of Marion Crane in its way set the seal on this tendency. Sam Raimi has some funny and interesting things to say about “the American cut” popularised by Hitchcock – the practice of cutting from a wide shot to a closeup. Raimi says that if you don’t do with the master’s own flair it looks more like a “Canadian cut”.

The film notes that the shower scene perhaps didn’t take US cinema forwards but backwards, to a pre-Hays Code era when movies were in an exciting, experimental infancy with a pioneer ethos: anything goes and anything’s possible. There are some intriguing comparisons with Eisenstein, that master of editing, who had a proto-Hitchcockian predisposition for violence and chaos and pure provocation. This documentary is as good an excuse as any to return – again – to Psycho.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Yup.

But really pleasantly surprised that the T-Rex scene got this far. That is still, these many years since, one of the best special effects wonders ever, and such a heart pounding scene. It's worthy of second place.
    I try to watch Jurassic Park at least once a year and it's amazing how well the special effects are still holding up.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Psycho, by a landslide.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sooooo who wants to tell Matt which scene won?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would love To see the top 100 posted as a new thread Tim... could you my man?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Psycho now with two wins in our tournaments.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The final poll is closed and the winner of our Greatest Movie Scene Tournament is The Shower scene from Psycho!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats!

This was a great tournament. I personally want to thank T-Dogz. He did an amazing job at running this tournament. Thank you for taking the bull by the horns and running with things. Well done.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Congrats!

This was a great tournament. I personally want to thank T-Dogz. He did an amazing job at running this tournament. Thank you for taking the bull by the horns and running with things. Well done.
    I will second this. Tim, you did a great job! Thanks!

Country
    Country Flag

Yup, I know how these things work, so kudos Tim!

CBS Sunday Morning will feature a segment about The Shower Scene tomorrow.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Congrats!

+1

sk

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Thanks, Tim!

Country
    Country Flag

Tim did a great job. Thanks bro!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    CBS Sunday Morning will feature a segment about The Shower Scene tomorrow.
    Weird. They haven't contacted any of us to be apart of the segment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast