Donate To Keep The Site Robust And Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sleeping Beauties - Discussion and Spoilers!

The Hound CyberGhostface will become famous soon enough CyberGhostface will become famous soon enough CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finally finished it yesterday. Can't remember the last time reading SK was such a chore.

A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of Roseannebarr has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Finally finished it yesterday. Can't remember the last time reading SK was such a chore.
    I. Reread cujo and started Christine after reading sleeping beauties. I could not put them done! Sb is a hard read

O.o

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin has a reputation beyond repute stroppygoblin has a reputation beyond repute stroppygoblin has a reputation beyond repute stroppygoblin has a reputation beyond repute stroppygoblin has a reputation beyond repute stroppygoblin has a reputation beyond repute stroppygoblin has a reputation beyond repute stroppygoblin has a reputation beyond repute stroppygoblin has a reputation beyond repute stroppygoblin has a reputation beyond repute stroppygoblin has a reputation beyond repute stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I dislike sycophantic interviewers. "STORGY: ‘Sleeping Beauties’ had me in stiches; whether that be talking about ‘trumped-up tax dodgers, emphasis on the Trump’; or ‘the Kardashians farting being breaking news’"

In stitches? Really?

Spoiler:
    Oh and by the way, learn to spell 'stitches'.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Linus Van Pelt Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been feeling the same way. Been reading it since early October and still 200+ pages to go. Can't decide whether it's the plot itself, SK, or Owern that's to blame.
    "It never was such a bad little tree."

Traveler triton53@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    I. Reread cujo and started Christine after reading sleeping beauties. I could not put them done! Sb is a hard read

O.o
    I know the feeling. I felt the need as well. I opted to check out Mr. King's other son's latest book.

Bev Vincent: With the audiobook version of SB, there's a conversation with Stephen and Owen at the end where, pretty much, the same information is revealed though is is just Stephen and Owen talking.

Gunslinger Apprentice F1racefan is on a distinguished road F1racefan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I've been feeling the same way. Been reading it since early October and still 200+ pages to go. Can't decide whether it's the plot itself, SK, or Owern that's to blame.
    I completely agree. It took me over a month to read when I usually read a King book in a week or less.

Along the Path of the Beam BountyHunter is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Not understanding the dislike for this book. I thought it was fantastic.

Goldmember webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
    Not understanding the dislike for this book. I thought it was fantastic.
    I agree!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Traveler nesdamycart is on a distinguished road

SPOILER ALERTS IN THIS COMMENT. I found this by googling “Sleeping Beauties Stephen King disappointing”. Because I own everything he’s ever written, and love his stuff – even the co-authored novels, but this one was really disappointing. I agree with the comments here – too many characters, no real redeeming qualities to any of them (or anyone to root for) very biased, finding the worst in both sexes (I’m female – and while I love some of his writing addressing violence against women – Rose Madder, etc – I found this one pretty heavy-handed). But my biggest problem with it was (SPOILER ALERT) the huge holes in the plot: for example – WHY did time go faster in Our Place? Did the women age in relation (Warden Janice's hair grew FAST - would that mean shorter lifespans?) But the biggest one unaddressed was – what REAL choice did the women have? With their cocooned bodies on the other side, they would still live in fear, and at the whim, of the very men they were choosing to leave behind. Was there any doubt that if they did not return, they left themselves utterly vulnerable? If the men grew angry or despondent that they lived in a women-less world, what would stop them from burning all the cocoons, effectively wiping out the New World? Why would the men left behind care enough to safeguard all those bodies so that the women lived on, in another world? Especially if they were as self-centred, callous, mean, etc as they were all painted to be? Absolutely made zero sense at all.

Traveler nesdamycart is on a distinguished road

SPOILER ALERTS IN THIS COMMENT. I found this by googling “Sleeping Beauties Stephen King disappointing”. Because I own everything he’s ever written, and love his stuff – even the co-authored novels, but this one was really disappointing. I agree with comments of disappointment here – too many characters, no real redeeming qualities to any of them (or anyone to root for) very biased, finding the worst in both sexes (I’m female – and while I love some of his writing regarding violence against women – Rose Madder is a fantastic example – I found this one pretty heavy-handed). But my biggest problem with it was (SPOILER ALERT) the huge holes in the plot: WHY did time go faster in Our Place? Did the women age in relation? Warden Janice's hair grew extremely fast, was aging accelerated? But the biggest one unaddressed was – what REAL choice did the women have? With their cocooned bodies on the other side, they would still live in fear, and at the whim, of the very men they were choosing to leave behind. Was there any doubt that if they did not return, they left themselves utterly vulnerable? If the men grew angry or despondent that they lived in a women-less world, what would stop them from burning all the cocoons, effectively wiping out the New World? Why would the men left behind care enough to safeguard all those bodies so that the women lived on, in another world? Made absolutely zero sense at all. I feel like if this had been a debut novel by a new author, it wouldn't have made it past the rejection desk. I'm finding myself re-reading the classic King novels lately, and that only reinforces my disappointment in this book.

Gunslinger Apprentice RichardX will become famous soon enough RichardX will become famous soon enough RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nesdamycart View Post
    SPOILER ALERTS IN THIS COMMENT. I found this by googling “Sleeping Beauties Stephen King disappointing”. Because I own everything he’s ever written, and love his stuff – even the co-authored novels, but this one was really disappointing. I agree with comments of disappointment here – too many characters, no real redeeming qualities to any of them (or anyone to root for) very biased, finding the worst in both sexes (I’m female – and while I love some of his writing regarding violence against women – Rose Madder is a fantastic example – I found this one pretty heavy-handed). But my biggest problem with it was (SPOILER ALERT) the huge holes in the plot: WHY did time go faster in Our Place? Did the women age in relation? Warden Janice's hair grew extremely fast, was aging accelerated? But the biggest one unaddressed was – what REAL choice did the women have? With their cocooned bodies on the other side, they would still live in fear, and at the whim, of the very men they were choosing to leave behind. Was there any doubt that if they did not return, they left themselves utterly vulnerable? If the men grew angry or despondent that they lived in a women-less world, what would stop them from burning all the cocoons, effectively wiping out the New World? Why would the men left behind care enough to safeguard all those bodies so that the women lived on, in another world? Made absolutely zero sense at all. I feel like if this had been a debut novel by a new author, it wouldn't have made it past the rejection desk. I'm finding myself re-reading the classic King novels lately, and that only reinforces my disappointment in this book.
    I agree. When I saw them in NY, Owen indicated this started out as some type of TV project and then evolved into a novel. That raises a lot of red flags. It's a conceptual mess and very disappointing. I'm sure SK did this in part to advance the profile of OK as a writer. Oddly enough I really enjoyed "Double Feature" but this one is a real stinker. One of the few King novels that I wouldn't bother to read twice.

Linus Van Pelt Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky is a splendid one to behold Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    It's a conceptual mess and very disappointing.
    This. Big time.
    "It never was such a bad little tree."

The Hound CyberGhostface will become famous soon enough CyberGhostface will become famous soon enough CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How does Owen's other stuff fare to those who read it?

On a related note I really wish King would write a full novel with Joe Hill as opposed to just the occasional short story. I actually asked Hill this at a signing but his response was (as I remember, this was back when NOS4A2 was out I think) that it probably wouldn't happen as their allotted free writing time together would only allow something short.

A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2