Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HOW TO: Ship Book Internationally, safely and economically.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default HOW TO: Ship Book Internationally, safely and economically.

I'm sure this exists somewhere already, but it seems to be something that should be included in the tutorials.

Specific situation for my question is to get my 1st Printing and the S/L Doctor Sleep from Dallas to the UK to get a remarque (then to cover shipping back). I've googled ad nauseum today, but most articles seem out of date.

A good method looks like through the USPS, boxing the book(s) then using an M-Bag, but I'm unsure if that still exists in mid-2017.

Those of you that have more regularly shipped books, what have you found to be the most reasonable method for:

US to UK;
    US to Canada;
    US to Australia;
    Canada to UK;

etc... feel free to suggest other common destinations. I know that we're a pretty far flung group. I'll edit this first post as I collect info.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been looking at using a USPS M-Bag to ship a few books off to someone in the UK, but have been having a little difficulty with this. It SEEMED like I had it today. I had a 10 pound box, which gets charged the "standard" 11 pound minimum charge. I was doing fine until a screen popped up with the teller asking if each parcel was under 4 lbs. This doesn't seem to make sense to me that with this big bag that each box in it needs to be less than 4 lbs. Has anyone used these? What is the procedure (I think I found a process below, but it doesn't mention the 4 lb limit either)? for a 10 lb box, do I have a better option that isn't much more expensive? Am I missing something? It doesn't seem like it should be this tricky.

Please help! I'm already later than I wanted to be in getting these out.

April 30, 2007
    What is an M-bag?

An M-bag is a special rate for sending books internationally to a single addressee. Quite literally, it is a canvas bag that you place boxes of books into prior to mailing. As of May 14, 2007, only airmail M-bag will be available.

The rates are based on a per pound rate with an 11 pound minimum and a 66 pound maximum (including the weight of the sack). So even if your books weigh 7 pounds, you are still charged the minimum 11 pound rate.

Mailing an M-bag

Gather your books and package them securely into a box (or boxes). Tape and address the box as you normally would. In the postage area write 'M-bag Postage Paid.' Attach invoices to the outside of the box (boxes) per customs regulations of your destination country.

Fill out the GREEN customs label: PS Form 2976 This is one of the few times a heavy package doesn't take the big white one with tons of copies. Make sure to mark the shipment 'commercial.' The HS tariff number for most books is 490199.

Take the box or boxes and your customs form to the post office. The clerk should have access to a canvas bag and a PS Tag 158(large white tie on tag with a big blue 'M' on it.)

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

M-bag sounds like it might be the way to go if it's still a thing and you have several books going out to the same person.

I received a quote from the USPS today for a 5lb book (it was less than 5 but more than 4 so it gets rounded up) going to New Zealand at the cost of almost $68. Seems like it's usually cheaper to receive books into the U.S. than to mail them out. I've never checked with UPS or FedEx for their international rates. I can't image they'd be any cheaper though.

My experience mailing from the US to the UK is usually somewhere around $25-$30 depending on weight of course.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Brian. I appreciate the general confirmation. I just received the gift edition for the Sub Press Shining. I may replace my 4+ lb book with this, which should be under that 4+ limit. Also considering a tip-in option which would greatly reduce postage if the tip-in's can be done cheaply enough.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TCCBodhi View Post
    Thank you Brian. I appreciate the general confirmation. I just received the gift edition for the Sub Press Shining. I may replace my 4+ lb book with this, which should be under that 4+ limit. Also considering a tip-in option which would greatly reduce postage if the tip-in's can be done cheaply enough.
    Most welcome and good luck!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

+ Reply to Thread