Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection: Hunchback Jack

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    That's some good stuff there Peter. You are really picking up some nice items.
    Thanks, Mike! Nothing too amazing or rare, but it's fleshing out the collection nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by HONKYTONKSMASH View Post
    Great stuff man! I think they did 2000 copies of dreamscapes
    Thanks, Chad! And thanks for the limitation information.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Nice adds! I’ve been meaning to get that Green Mile set. Something classy about it. Man, I was planning on selling my N&D Christmas Edition but now I don’t want to anymore for some reason
    Yeah, SubPress + King = MINE!

I've been looking for a set in nice condition for "the right price", and this sealed one was on ABE books for less than I'd ever seen it. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Love that Green Mile Luke!
    Thanks, Obi-Wan. I mean, KRIS! Having the set still be sealed was neat, but I'm going to break it out of the shrinkwrap and enjoy the books.

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Looks like you are staying green.
    It's not easy.

HBJ

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice adds, Peter!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Thanks, Brian. A few more to come soon.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Another UK "Christmas Gift" edition, Dolores Claiborne, unnumbered, with slipcase, embossed cover, and facsimile signature. This copy has some very minor fraying on the top edge of the slipcase; otherwise, everything else is in remarkable condition.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Looks good to me. A real sig or not, that's a nice one to have. Congrats.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

They look very real on these editions. Between them being on a bookplate and in blue ink, I really thought it was real when I saw it. I even emailed David (painfully) to let him know he made a mistake and find out what I owed him.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They look very real on these editions. Between them being on a bookplate and in blue ink, I really thought it was real when I saw it. I even emailed David (painfully) to let him know he made a mistake and find out what I owed him.
    Yeah I remember the first time I seen this and totally thought it was a real sig...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Yeah I remember the first time I seen this and totally thought it was a real sig...
    It messed with my emotions lol

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

VERY nice new stuff, CONGRATS !!!

Thanks, Mike, Adam, Kris and Frank!

That sig is a bit of a trap. Without the label on the slipcase - which can be removed - it would be very easy to think it was genuine. As far as I know, Hodder did not release signed editions of these volumes, though.

These type of "deluxe trade editions" probably won't appreciate much, because they aren't that rare, and don't have the appeal of a real signature or the craftsmanship of a small press limited. But I like them for the little extra touches they have.

I'd really like to know whether Hodder released a deluxe or signed edition of Gerald's Game. It was published around this time, but I've never seen one.

Ilium (Simmons)

Okay, my last post here for a while.

Two new U.K. S/L editions: Desperation/Regulators and TWTTK (1 of 200):

The slipcase of the D/R set was showing its age a bit, but a gentle cleaning improved it greatly - it was just a bit dirty. There are a few very minor defects to the gold foil stamping on the spines of both books, but nothing to get worked up about. All in all, they are probably VG to VG+ condition.

Nothing to say about the TWTTK, except that it's missing the slipcase label stating it's a 1 of 200 edition. Not a big deal, either.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I like that DESPERATION/REGULATORS. Mainly because I need one too!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Again, as I said before, that is some nice stuff. And don't worry if you think it won't go up in value. The point is that YOU like it. And it's not like you have nickle and dime books. Those are good ones to have

My Mood
    Chatty

Those are really nice. I haven’t seen many of the UK S/Ls yet but I can see why you like them.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great new adds, Peter! I really like that TWTTK.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great UK adds, Peter...

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

2x BIG congrats Peter !!!
    The UK S/L Desp/Reg. is not so easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I like that DESPERATION/REGULATORS. Mainly because I need one too!
    Thanks! I really like it, too.

Hodder was a bit cheeky with this edition of The Regulators, as I recall. There wasn't anything on the dustjacket to say that the book was actually by King. They just put Bachman's name in the same font - which they had used exclusively for King for 5 years, by that point - and displayed it alongside Desperation in bookstores. They just relied on readers to know (or figure out) it was King.

ETA: This is not correct; see Simon's post here to get the real story.

The set is a nice nod to the association between the two novels, as well.

Again, as I said before, that is some nice stuff. And don't worry if you think it won't go up in value. The point is that YOU like it. And it's not like you have nickle and dime books. Those are good ones to have
    Thanks, Mike. I'm not worried; I have (finally!) learned to collect what I like, and so long as I'm happy with the price when I buy it, I don't focus much on value after that. I don't flip or sell books very often.

Those are really nice. I haven’t seen many of the UK S/Ls yet but I can see why you like them.
    Thanks, Adam. I "grew up" with UK editions, so I kind of love them. These Hodder editions don't have many special features beyond the signature itself, but I like the look of them. They have become my recent focus when collecting King.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Great new adds, Peter! I really like that TWTTK.
    Thanks, Brian. I've been looking for it for quite a while. Very pleased to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Great UK adds, Peter...
    Thanks, Peri!

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    2x BIG congrats Peter !!!
    The UK S/L Desp/Reg. is not so easy to find.
    Thanks, Frank! Yes, there are some copies available that either have condition problems or are (in my opinion) a little on the high side. This set was acceptable in both aspects, for me at least.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey peter, I had a proper look through your thread and saw that you bought a lot of your pbs in Australia in the 80s and 90's. Did you live here for a bit?

Hey peter, I had a proper look through your thread and saw that you bought a lot of your pbs in Australia in the 80s and 90's. Did you live here for a bit?
    Yes, peri, I lived in Australia for my first 30-odd years of life. I've been living in the US for about the last 20. Dual citizen now, but I still have family and friends back home.

Good to see another Australian on here.

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Yes, peri, I lived in Australia for my first 30-odd years of life. I've been living in the US for about the last 20. Dual citizen now, but I still have family and friends back home.

Good to see another Australian on here.
    Oh, that's cool. An Aussie abroad - we have that nomadic tendency... Nice to know this..

The UK trade and W H Smith Collectors editions of the Outsider:

Thanks very much to Simon for buying and shipping these for me.

Ilium (Simmons)

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Colorful! Simon is a good provider.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post

Hodder was a bit cheeky with this edition of The Regulators, as I recall. There wasn't anything on the dustjacket to say that the book was actually by King. They just put Bachman's name in the same font - which they had used exclusively for King for 5 years, by that point - and displayed it alongside Desperation in bookstores. They just relied on readers to know (or figure out) it was King.
    HBJ
    Actually thats not accurate. The H & S Trade copy had a sticker on the front and some additional blurb on the back to show Bachman was in fact King. The US Dutton edition on the other hand had no mention of King on the outer Dust jacket and only referred to King in a comparison ("Bachman has been described as Stephen King without a conscience") and as the writer of the introduction. Even though it had been years since the news broke and Thinner and the Bachman books were re-released, Dutton continued with the pretence.

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast