Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection: Hunchback Jack

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Default Book Collection: Hunchback Jack

I've been buying Stephen King books for almost 30 years, and "collecting" them for maybe 20. My collection is modest, but I hope you enjoy seeing it.

I have a few interesting items and a lot of commonplace ones. I'll post the boring stuff first, and work my way up to the pinnacle of my collection, purchased just a couple of weeks ago.

I'll mostly be posting books on shelves, so if you want to see more than just the spine of a particular edition, just ask and I'll post an image of the front cover.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

First post: Mass market paperbacks.

Most of these paperbacks were bought in Australia in the late '80s and early '90s, before I started buying hardcovers. Australia gets UK versions, as you can see, split between New English Library and Futura paperbacks.

Notable editions:
    • Night Shift - this was the first Stephen King book I ever bought, in 1985 or 1986. My high school English teacher had us study the prologue, and a couple of the stories - The Mangler, and Night Surf, if memory serves - right alongside Graham Greene and George Orwell.
    • IT - This paperback copy was the first Stephen King novel I ever bought, in '87 or so. It remains one of my absolute favourites.
    • The Tommyknockers - there are two copies of The Tommyknockers, as one is the international edition with the same "Ship in the Earth" illustration as on the hardcover.

None of these volumes is particularly collectible, they just have value to me, as they are some of my oldest King books.

Dark Tower mass-market paperbacks

A mish-mash of Dark Tower UK paperback editions. The first three Sphere editions were bought in the early '90s in Australia - I love the cover art. DT IV was bought after I moved to the US, shipped from the UK, in around '99.

Volumes 5-7 were bought in 2008, in Frankfurt airport in Germany. These are the international UK editions, and I purchased them because the standard UK editions are B-format, which are larger. Volume 4.5 was also bought in Germany, for the same reason.

The volumes lying on top of volumes 1-7 are the UK and US editions of the revised Gunslinger.
    Last edited by Hunchback Jack; 12-15-2017 at 02:29 AM.

Trade Hardcovers

These volumes are unsigned trade editions. Some limited print-run editions are included, but only from large publishers, not small presses like Grant, CD, PS or SubPress.

These hardcovers were bought between the late '80s and the present. Although I now live in the US, I still tend to buy the UK editions when possible. I'm not a completist, but I have started buying multiple editions of the more recent titles.

Notable editions:
    • The Talisman - this is the first hardcover King novel I bought, used from a university book store, in '87 or '88.
    • IT to The Regulators - these are all book club editions, and are pretty much worthless. I went through a phase where I preferred these paperback-sized hardcovers, much to the detriment - unknowingly - of my collection's value. Such is life.
    • Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne - I have heard that these UK book club editions were the world-wide first edition of these books. If so, I lucked out, as these copies appear to be first printings. If I recall correctly, I bought them from a major chain in the UK in 1992, at a discount.
    • Under the Dome - the Scribner edition is the unsigned limited edition with the bronze title tape and the illustrated cards, still in shrinkwrap. I got it for under $20, so I suspect it's not worth much.
    • 11/22/63 - the trade and unsigned limited editions - the latter is the PS dust-jacketed edition
    • Doctor Sleep - the trade, W H Smith, Waterstones, and unsigned limited editions
    • Joyland - The paperback, "turtleback", unsigned limited and unsigned illustrated editions
    • Mr Mercedes - the trade and W H Smith editions
    • Revival - the trade, W H Smith, blue-edged Waterstones, and unsigned limited edition with silver plectrum
    • Finder Keepers - trade and W H Smith editions
    • The Bazaar of Bad Dreams - trade and W H Smith editions
    • End of Watch - trade and W H Smith editions

Dark Tower Trade Paperbacks and Hardcovers

These are my trade paperback and trade hardcover copies of the Dark Tower series.

Volumes 1-3 are Sphere editions from the UK, and have all the color plate illustrations. Wizard and Glass is also from the UK, but lacks any colour plates.

The Wind Through the Keyhole editions include the trade, W H Smith and unsigned limited editions (with the PS Publishing-issued dustjacket).

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to tell you this JACK ...But you have been blocked by photobucket...So we are NOT seeing any of your images.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Sorry to tell you this JACK ...But you have been blocked by photobucket...So we are NOT seeing any of your images.
    Bruce is correct Jack, also not seeing your images. Photobucket have recently changed their policy on allowing images to be linked and unless you pay a ridiculous amount of money per year, no-one is ever going to see your no doubt wonderful collection.

I would suggest uploading them directly to this site by creating an album (there is a menu option at the top of the page, under the main banner called "Gallery", select this then find the option for "upload photo") or by using a different, (less greedy) image hosting site.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Thank you both very much for letting me know. I've now changed the links to point to a Gallery I created as you instructed. Can you now see the images?

Gunslinger Apprentice Ivo will become famous soon enough Ivo will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused

Good to go.��

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Showing up fine now. Nice collection indeed. I love the old paperbacks and I collect 'em too.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice stuff mate!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I see - EVERYTHING.
    Definitely NOT boring at all!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Book Collection: Hunchback Jack

Great to see a new collection thread. What I like about the books you posted is that these copies mean so much to you. I have those same U.K. paperbacks and have many good memories of buying some of these in South Africa, where we too would only get the U.K. editions. Great stuff, keep 'em coming.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice collection! Thank you for sharing.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

THERE THEY ARE.....

Thanks for all the positive feedback, everyone! I appreciate it.

Zelig, you're right that these copies mean a lot to me. These are the copies of King's work that I bought and read for the first time. These are the copies I use when I occasionally reread a passage or chapter. Most of these books have travelled with me literally from the other side of the world.

They're not worth very much, and despite my best care, have the occasional dent, chip or crease. But they are very personal to me.

Next up will be unsigned-but-limited editions.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Welcome and thanks for sharing the great collection!
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Great stuff! Love seeing new collection threads

Unsigned (by King), limited (in some way) editions

This hodgepodge of a collection falls into the gap between regular trade editions and the lofty pinnacle of editions signed by King. They are of some rarity, or are limited editions, but not signed by King.

Most of these I bought new. I'm especially fond of the UK editions of the Bachman paperbacks. The copy of Rage is pretty much immaculate, and The Long Walk was found in a used bookstore in Sydney, Australia, for the princely sum of $2.50.

Unsigned Dark Tower editions

A few personal notes:
    • Volumes 1-7 are the first trade or Artist editions, in the three Grant slipcases.
    • The DTIV sampler was a freebie if you bought the Desperation/Regulators hardcover set in 1996; a bookstore cashier gave me one gratis when she caught me staring at a stack of them on the counter.
    • Wizard and Glass was the first ever "collectible" limited edition book I bought. (I also bought a second "reading" copy at the same time, because I'd waited 5 years to read the darn thing!)
    • The Fantasy and Science Fiction issues are those containing the original Gunslinger stories. I bought them as a set about 15 years ago, and they are pretty much pristine.
    I have some additional Grant Dark Tower trade volumes, including a first edition DTII signed by Phil Hale, the third edition DTI, and the second edition DTII. I don't have a Gunslinger 1984 edition ... yet.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to the site, HJ. It's always exciting seeing a new collection thread, thanks for sharing. Great stuff, those old paperbacks have killer covers.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Nice stuff. Almost makes me wish I'd pulled the trigger on FAITHFUL.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Yeah, the Faithful volume is gorgeous. Traycase and covers are bound in soft white leather (like a baseball). I keep it in plastic because I bet it gets dirty very easily. Only signed by O'Nan, but really pleased to have it.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good stuff, Jack! Collecting is all about the "You".
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Non-Dark Tower Signed Editions

My signed King collection is very modest, and all are limited editions, as opposed to signed trades. A few items of interest:
    • The CD signed limited edition of IT is a personal favourite, just because IT is my favourite King novel - yes, even despite THAT scene. I missed out on this edition when it first went up for sale, but CD had a few extras on publication due to failed payments, and I picked up one of those. I can't believe how lucky I was.
    • I managed to order this copy of the signed Scribner edition of 11/22/63 before the Scribner website melted, and they had to resort to a random draw for the remaining copies. The slipcase is from CD.

HBJ
    Last edited by Hunchback Jack; 08-15-2018 at 03:28 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast