+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Marvel about to end the Dark Tower comics ?

  1. #1
    Demon of the Prim Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    1,133
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default Marvel about to end the Dark Tower comics ?

    Hey Folks,
    just got a mail from my beloved comic book dealer, that said the following:

    "i found out marvel is not doing any more dark tower comics.
    i wonder if the license was too much with the movies coming. "


    Anybody any further news on that ?
    Would be a shame if they should stop right after the sailor.

  2. #2
    Word Slinger Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priest View Post
    Hey Folks,
    just got a mail from my beloved comic book dealer, that said the following:

    "i found out marvel is not doing any more dark tower comics.
    i wonder if the license was too much with the movies coming. "


    Anybody any further news on that ?
    Would be a shame if they should stop right after the sailor.
    On Twitter, Robin merely said they are "on hold" for now.

  3. #3
    The Hound CyberGhostface has a spectacular aura about CyberGhostface has a spectacular aura about CyberGhostface's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,338
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    It's funny how much this was a huge deal when it first came out and now it's like a non-entity.


    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

    My Collection

  4. #4
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Yankee Stadium
    Posts
    27,499
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    It's funny how much this was a huge deal when it first came out and now it's like a non-entity.

    I know, right? I remember, getting on a line for a midnight issue of "Treacherous"!!! LOL

  5. #5
    Demon of the Prim Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    1,133
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Priest View Post
    Hey Folks,
    just got a mail from my beloved comic book dealer, that said the following:

    "i found out marvel is not doing any more dark tower comics.
    i wonder if the license was too much with the movies coming. "


    Anybody any further news on that ?
    Would be a shame if they should stop right after the sailor.
    On Twitter, Robin merely said they are "on hold" for now.
    Did she ?
    Ok thanks, missed that obviously.

  6. #6
    Demon of the Prim Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest is a glorious beacon of light Priest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    1,133
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    It's funny how much this was a huge deal when it first came out and now it's like a non-entity.

    I know, right? I remember, getting on a line for a midnight issue of "Treacherous"!!! LOL
    Yea, it sometimes felt as if I would be the only reader left ;D

  7. #7
    The Hound CyberGhostface has a spectacular aura about CyberGhostface has a spectacular aura about CyberGhostface's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,338
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    It's funny how much this was a huge deal when it first came out and now it's like a non-entity.

    I know, right? I remember, getting on a line for a midnight issue of "Treacherous"!!! LOL
    I think a lot of it had to do with Stephen King actively promoting the comics and making it seem like if he was not actually writing them he was still actively supplying the storyline behind it.

    Then it turns out not only did he have nothing to do with the series besides putting his name on the masthead and cashing in the paychecks, but he was actively avoiding them because he didn't want them to "junk up his head" (and then goes ahead and writes a DT novel that effectively dismantles the entire mythology of the comics). So the whole thing was basically Robin Furth writing fanfic right down to her self-insert character with Allie.


    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

    My Collection

  8. #8
    Vagrant Dead WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    4,015
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I was VERY into DT comics when they had just started. Regular edition, colour variant, black and white variant, second print variant...you name it. First three, maybe four arcs were solid and then Furth started liberally adding her own ideas and quality took a dive. I haven't even read the last two arcs. I don't think I'd take the books even if they were free.

  9. #9
    The Hound CyberGhostface has a spectacular aura about CyberGhostface has a spectacular aura about CyberGhostface's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,338
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Second arc where Roland faced off against CK and Marten in the Grapefruit was where it peaked for me. After that it was just tepid.

    I ended up dropping the comics after what Furth did with Walter's backstory in Sorcerer. That was the last straw.


    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

    My Collection

  10. #10
    Gunslinger Apprentice NoAttitudeThisTime is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    It's funny how much this was a huge deal when it first came out and now it's like a non-entity.

    I know, right? I remember, getting on a line for a midnight issue of "Treacherous"!!! LOL
    I think a lot of it had to do with Stephen King actively promoting the comics and making it seem like if he was not actually writing them he was still actively supplying the storyline behind it.

    Then it turns out not only did he have nothing to do with the series besides putting his name on the masthead and cashing in the paychecks, but he was actively avoiding them because he didn't want them to "junk up his head" (and then goes ahead and writes a DT novel that effectively dismantles the entire mythology of the comics). So the whole thing was basically Robin Furth writing fanfic right down to her self-insert character with Allie.
    Almost true. From the very beginning (2005) he did provide story ideas and rewrote some of the scripts for the first two issues (The Gunslinger Born and The Long Road Home)...according to himself, he tinkered with the dialogue and added a few rewrites. From the third issue (Treachery) and onward, he backed off and let Marvel do their own thing, sometimes approving, other times not seeming to care.

  11. #11
    Demon of the Prim Hunchback Jack is a name known to all Hunchback Jack is a name known to all Hunchback Jack is a name known to all Hunchback Jack is a name known to all Hunchback Jack is a name known to all Hunchback Jack is a name known to all Hunchback Jack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    I think the initial appeal of the comics was that they were going to tell new stories penned by King. Once King became less involved, then their canonicity was in doubt.

    As for the more recent arcs that are retellings of the original novels, I can see the appeal for those who haven't read the books, but sustaining that appeal over a dozen story arcs is tough. I have most of the comics in the hard cover collections, but I admit I haven't read the later ones.

  12. #12
    Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,261
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I was a religious purchaser of the comics all the way through the Gunslinger. Then there was a large break and I haven't picked up any of the Drawing of the three comics even though that was the series I was looking forward to the most.

    I did notice that the collected volumes are on sale for the kindle and Comixology app for $2.99 each. What I would love to know is if the collected editions are missing anything that was in the single issues. I liked reading the little bonus stories at the end of the issues but I thought I read somewhere that those things aren't included in the volumes. Can anyone who has both kinds tell me?

  13. #13
    Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dartford. Another borderlands place.
    Posts
    1,656
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I know that the extra stories/mythology at the back were not included in the initial collections. Whether they produced other collections later incorporating the material, I don't know. (I don't think they did.)

  14. #14
    Can Toi DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,984
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    I know that the extra stories/mythology at the back were not included in the initial collections. Whether they produced other collections later incorporating the material, I don't know. (I don't think they did.)
    The backstories were included in the omnibus editions, at least. (Specifically, the ones that collected the overall arcs, like the 30 issues that comprised the prequel, followed by the next 30 issues that formed The Gunslinger.)


    I help where I can.
    I will not fight!


    You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

  15. #15
    Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,261
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I'm really thinking about buying all the volumes. It should only cost me around $55 for every volume and loose comic like the sheemie tales compared to buying all the single editions which I think totaled over $160. I would really love to know what I would be missing from the single editions that Robin or whoever else wrote at the end of the comics.

  16. #16
    Word Slinger Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,789

    Default

    Gallery 13 Grab Stephen King’s The Dark Tower Graphic Novel Rights from Marvel

    Gallery 13 will publish eleven graphic novels based on Stephen King‘s series of novels The Dark Tower, it was announced today exclusively to Bleeding Cool by Jennifer Bergstrom, Vice President and Publisher of Gallery Books.

    Marvel Comics first published The Dark Tower series of comic books, based on the Stephen King novels, with Peter David, Robin Furth and Jae Lee back in 2007. And this year and last have spent every month liquidating backstock to retailers. Today we learn why – Marvel has lost the rights to publish Dark Tower comic books to Simon And Schuster’s graphic novel imprint Gallery 13.

    The acquisition of publishing rights includes five prequel works focusing on Roland Deschain of Gilead’s coming-of-age and told in chronological order, now officially titled BEGINNINGS: The Gunslinger Born (Book #1), The Long Road Home (Book #2), Treachery (Book #3), The Fall of Gilead (Book #4), The Battle of Jericho Hill (Book #5); AND the six-part comic adaptation of the 1982 bestselling novel The Gunslinger: The Journey Begins (Book #1), The Little Sisters of Eluria (Book #2), The Battle of Tull (Book #3), The Way Station (Book #4), The Man in Black (Book #5), and Last Shots (Book #6).

    Gallery 13 will be publishing the Beginnings prequel graphic novels every two weeks starting with The Gunslinger Born on August 14, 2018. The Gunslinger novel adaptation will publish in Spring 2019.

    “I’m delighted to see my stories in this exciting format, where they can reach new readers,” said Stephen King.

    “Simon & Schuster has been the official publisher of Stephen King for twenty years now, and we’re thrilled that Gallery 13 will be publishing these essential works that he and Marvel Comics originally and vividly brought to life as a canonical expansion of the #1 New York Times bestselling Dark Tower novel series. Whether you’re just joining Roland Deschain on his brutal and epic journey to the Dark Tower or have already been a longtime member of his ka-tet, these graphic novels boldly and unforgettably capture the one-of-a-kind essence of Stephen King’s Dark Tower reading experience in comic form,” said Ed Schlesinger, Senior Editor at Gallery 13. He acquired US, Canada, and Open Market rights from Chuck Verrill at Darhansoff & Verrill.

  17. #17
    Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    87
    My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Gallery 13 Grab Stephen King’s The Dark Tower Graphic Novel Rights from Marvel

    Gallery 13 will publish eleven graphic novels based on Stephen King‘s series of novels The Dark Tower, it was announced today exclusively to Bleeding Cool by Jennifer Bergstrom, Vice President and Publisher of Gallery Books.

    Marvel Comics first published The Dark Tower series of comic books, based on the Stephen King novels, with Peter David, Robin Furth and Jae Lee back in 2007. And this year and last have spent every month liquidating backstock to retailers. Today we learn why – Marvel has lost the rights to publish Dark Tower comic books to Simon And Schuster’s graphic novel imprint Gallery 13.

    The acquisition of publishing rights includes five prequel works focusing on Roland Deschain of Gilead’s coming-of-age and told in chronological order, now officially titled BEGINNINGS: The Gunslinger Born (Book #1), The Long Road Home (Book #2), Treachery (Book #3), The Fall of Gilead (Book #4), The Battle of Jericho Hill (Book #5); AND the six-part comic adaptation of the 1982 bestselling novel The Gunslinger: The Journey Begins (Book #1), The Little Sisters of Eluria (Book #2), The Battle of Tull (Book #3), The Way Station (Book #4), The Man in Black (Book #5), and Last Shots (Book #6).

    Gallery 13 will be publishing the Beginnings prequel graphic novels every two weeks starting with The Gunslinger Born on August 14, 2018. The Gunslinger novel adaptation will publish in Spring 2019.

    “I’m delighted to see my stories in this exciting format, where they can reach new readers,” said Stephen King.

    “Simon & Schuster has been the official publisher of Stephen King for twenty years now, and we’re thrilled that Gallery 13 will be publishing these essential works that he and Marvel Comics originally and vividly brought to life as a canonical expansion of the #1 New York Times bestselling Dark Tower novel series. Whether you’re just joining Roland Deschain on his brutal and epic journey to the Dark Tower or have already been a longtime member of his ka-tet, these graphic novels boldly and unforgettably capture the one-of-a-kind essence of Stephen King’s Dark Tower reading experience in comic form,” said Ed Schlesinger, Senior Editor at Gallery 13. He acquired US, Canada, and Open Market rights from Chuck Verrill at Darhansoff & Verrill.
    That is great! I stopped buying the comics after Jericho Hill and bought the Omnibus that had all to material in it. I would love to be able to get the rest of the series in book or graphic novel form.

  18. #18
    Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brookfield, WI
    Posts
    391
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Are the "Beginnings" comics all new material or just reprints of the original 5 comics that Marvel produced?

  19. #19
    Word Slinger Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkippyD023 View Post
    Are the "Beginnings" comics all new material or just reprints of the original 5 comics that Marvel produced?
    Reissues from a new publisher, so not exactly reprints, but no new material.

  20. #20
    Vagrant Dead WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold WeDealInLead is a splendid one to behold

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    4,015
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I'm genuinely curious why these are getting reissued. First printings are readily available in discounted bins across the US and Canada. I went on a trip from London, ON to Tampa, FL and I found these comics in every single comic and book store I went to.

  21. #21
    Word Slinger Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent has much to be proud of Bev Vincent's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I'm genuinely curious why these are getting reissued. First printings are readily available in discounted bins across the US and Canada. I went on a trip from London, ON to Tampa, FL and I found these comics in every single comic and book store I went to.
    Marvel’s rights lapsed and they were brought into the Scribner fold, same as all of King’s other publications.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts