Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Will you read The Gunslinger and subsequent issues?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 62.79%
  • No, I'm dropping it after Jericho Hill

2 4.65%
  • No, I already dropped it

6 13.95%
  • I don't know/Other

8 18.60%
Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower Comics Series - General Discussion

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I read it on saturday, and while it was ok, there was one tiny thing that kinda bugged me...

Mainly that it's nine years later, yet the kids still look like kids. No, scratch that, even worse is that they look exactly the same. What, none of them have gotten messed up in the slightest? No torn clothes? No messed up hairstyles? OK, it's a petty thing to be annoyed about, but considering they would've found it a little bit difficult to find a barber with Gilead gone, i would've expected Roland's hair to be a little bit longer!

Don't get me wrong, Jae Lee's a fantastic artist, but still...why no change whatsoever?
    This is something I get bugged about in general...like in movies where the environment (or time passing) should mean that everyone is nasty and bedraggled, but they're magically well-groomed. This comic is pretty stylized though, so I don't think I expect that sort of realism in this format.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Forget about how they look, what about how they smell? That is, the narrator states that their nostrils are clogged with the stench of the sewers they escaped through... nine years before ... Then they start talking and the first thing that Roland says is "What have we escaped to?" Then he goes on to ask "Where can we go now?" Nine years, and they haven't talked about that at all yet? What have they been doing in the meantime? There's not a single hint; for all intents and purposes, they seem to have just been standing perfectly still since the last issue. I know that there was a kinda similar effect at the very beginning of Wolves of the Calla, DT5, but this is ridiculous! (And to think that some folken think that Furth is better with continuity than King is. )

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

My local shop was also terrible when it came to ordering comics. They always lost or even forgot to order one issue, my Fall of Gilead #6 mysteriously disappeared too just the other week, and I have yet to receive a replacement...I really wanted to support them, but I think they're more into Warhammer and M:tG then selling comics. :/

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

They don't deserve your support if they give bad service.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

For sure they don't.

Honestly, since I have such a stinky local shop - I get my "necessary" comics from an online subscription service ( mycomicshop.com ).

Oh, now back on topic !!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I read it on saturday, and while it was ok, there was one tiny thing that kinda bugged me...

Mainly that it's nine years later, yet the kids still look like kids. No, scratch that, even worse is that they look exactly the same. What, none of them have gotten messed up in the slightest? No torn clothes? No messed up hairstyles? OK, it's a petty thing to be annoyed about, but considering they would've found it a little bit difficult to find a barber with Gilead gone, i would've expected Roland's hair to be a little bit longer!

Don't get me wrong, Jae Lee's a fantastic artist, but still...why no change whatsoever?
    I felt the same until the end of the comics where there's a double-page illustration and you see Roland in front of all the others and I found he looked a lot more like a man than like a teen. At that point, I didn't know it was 9 years later.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Everyone, I think the confusion here is that they show Gilead nine years later BUT THEN they go back to immediately after the fall of Gilead. They look the same and smell the same because it has only been hours not years. That is why Marten is still standing where he was when he switched out the Crimson King's flag for Gilead's. That is why there are still plenty of Farson's men there to get crushed to death as Gilead falls in the Beamquake. Notice how different Gilead looks when it says nine years later than when it shows Marten there. I think we will see a flash-back ahead nine years in the next comic with an explanation that they traveled four and a half years the wrong way and then turned around and made their way back. Then they will look older. At least that is the way I interpret it.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am a little disappointed in this issue. I guess I just wanted more out of their last stand. However, I am encouraged by the next arc's first issue. I think we will get to see a little more of the main character's skills rather than a bunch of traps.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I never thought I'd hear Benny Hill music on an American forum!

My Mood
    Gay

Well, we don't normally encourage that kind of thing ... but we do favor free speech here at TDT !!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Well, picked it up today and was thoroughly impressed. Very well done, and bodes well for the arc. Gotta say, I didn't really need Robin "getting me up to speed" ramble at the end. I didn't really see the point in it. I would have loved some more mythology of All-World instead.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Gay

Robin is all about the essays !!!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wuducynn View Post
    I would have loved some more mythology of All-World instead.
    I don't mind the essays but I'd like to see more mythology stuff too. It's been quite a while since we've see that.

EDIT- Ok, I got this issue yesterday and read it last night. I wasn't overly impressed to be honest, mainly because little happens and it seemed a bit exposition heavy.
    Spoiler:
    Rolands speechifying during the quake seemed out of character too, but then it seems a style for inner character thoughts to be spoken out loud.

The stuff concerning the Beam was interesting though although I thought a beam-quake happened when the beam actually broke. Then again if a Beam breaks completely, from what we learned in Song of Susannah, the chasm would have been much larger and there wouldn't even be any Gilead ruins (or them for that matter). The book does say a Beam broke back then, but maybe it happened in increments, if that makes sense.

Something about the story felt disjointed about the plot though, and
    Spoiler:
    Walter blasting Sheemie into providing a bit of info... why? I guess it's an example of something good coming out of something bad, the Tower/ka bending negative stuff to provide information. I'm also not sure that Walter can actually shape-shift into a raven either, although Flagg does appear to do that in The Stand. I always figured that was more an illusion than a literal transformation though, but to be fair that's my own interpretation.

Anyway, overall, not great for me but not that bad either. Early days yet. I look forward to catching up with them in the present day (in the comics storyline I mean).

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Default The Gunslinger Born #6 (my gripe with this issue)

I have a problem with #6. They paint (not literally) Roland to be a wuss! When
    TGB #6
    which I distinctly remember happening in W&G.
    Last edited by BillyxRansom; 12-13-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: more appropriate tag

Gunslinger Apprentice JameseyLefebure is on a distinguished road JameseyLefebure's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I never actually realised how big scale the comics would be!! I just thought it was one or two little comics about the Dark Tower...WOW I was wrong!! lol.
    I tried to order the comic's individually, but the hubby had already ordered me the first one as a collection (bless him) so he's said that for my birthday he'll get the rest if I haven't gotten round to it by then
    I'm excited by the idea of a Talisman comic and The Stand I think I might just have to start dropping subtle hints now

James
    xxxx

My Mood
    Gay

For sure it's always easiest to get issues when they come out ( monthly ). Right now, the current King comics are : Talisman, Battle/Jericho, and The Stand. All three are monthly at this time. Plus American Vampire starts in the new year.

If you can find a good local comic book shop - they very well might have back issues that you can purchase. I know some of our UK members have said they have trouble finding some comics in their local shops, so the key is to ask, ask and ask. Some shops will also order them special for you, so that's always an option for you and your hubby!!

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    There are three or four ARCs of comics. Or there are the hardcovers which collect all the individual comics from each arc. The collections do not have all the background stuff though.
    The French ones do, Brice

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door View Post
    There are three or four ARCs of comics. Or there are the hardcovers which collect all the individual comics from each arc. The collections do not have all the background stuff though.
    The French ones do, Brice
    Actually, I don't think they have all the additional information. I have the French hardcovers ( thank you amazon.fr ) and I'm pretty sure they're missing a couple of things.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    If you can find them, try collecting the individual issues - each features a section in the back containing background stories which the HC collections do not have.
    If you decide that you want to do this, don't be too worried about picking up the newer arcs right away. They do NOT have that kind of material. I'm still buying the issues one by one, myself, but someone who has lots of story to catch up on in the meantime, anyway, might as well wait for the hardcovers of the last couple, I'd venture to say.

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Please explain. I just got The Long Road Home, is there substantial information cut out from the hardcover?

My Mood
    Gay

Not sure what you'd consider substantial.

If you check out the King Comic Catalog Starting Here you can page through each description of the LRH comics and see what each contained.

Then compare it to what you have in your HC edition. There are some differences.

Gunslinger Apprentice JameseyLefebure is on a distinguished road JameseyLefebure's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm just going to go out there and say -

You Guys Rock!!

thanks so much for all this info! Im really looking forward to starting these now!!

Jamesey
    xxxxxx

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool. I noticed you've said elsewhere, Jamesey, that Wizard and Glass is not the part of the series that is most fun for you to read. The first arc of the comics, The Gunslinger Born retells the same story in a different way. I think you might enjoy it more.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Cool. I noticed you've said elsewhere, Jamesey, that Wizard and Glass is not the part of the series that is most fun for you to read. The first arc of the comics, The Gunslinger Born retells the same story in a different way. I think you might enjoy it more.
    Well, it tells the extended flashback story--the "present day" story isn't in there.

Talk about confusing....

Country
    Country Flag

Well I've actually just finished the flashback part of W&G on the bus to work this morning - and I don't actually mind the end of the story that much. I just know that I prefer the rest of the series but I think I'll still really enjoy Gunslinger Born and it'll serve as a good introduction to the comic's for me Thanks to Turtlex i now have a HUGE list of comic's that i'm inevitably going to get hooked on

jamesey
    xxxx

Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast