Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Will you read The Gunslinger and subsequent issues?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 62.79%
  • No, I'm dropping it after Jericho Hill

2 4.65%
  • No, I already dropped it

6 13.95%
  • I don't know/Other

8 18.60%
Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1338

Thread: The Dark Tower Comics Series - General Discussion

Gunslinger Apprentice arrawyn is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

hey brainslinger - thanks for your advice! From what you've said i think i'll go with the individual comics - because all that extra stuff and history/folklore etc. sounds fantastic!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by arrawyn View Post
    hey brainslinger - thanks for your advice! From what you've said i think i'll go with the individual comics - because all that extra stuff and history/folklore etc. sounds fantastic!
    You're welcome. It was a bit mixed for me, some great, some not so, but I think you'll probably find it an interesting read at least.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The first two arcs had the best "extras." Those actually explained some things we did not previously know about Mid World. In the later arcs, they seem to be more about explaining why they wrote what they did in the main story.

Gunslinger Apprentice arrawyn is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

oh okay, thats good to know - thanks!

Traveler jackmort666 is on a distinguished road

Default sean philips troubled artist ??

hi ,

regards sean philips artwork,it's pretty damn poor !!
    just got issue 5,not recieved the other 4 as yet for some reason, but that aside, it's bloody awful,
    look at some of the definition on the characters faces, they seem out of shape and the bodies seem stunted, not impressed at all
    why do they do this ? it's like the walikng dead, which my son lent me,( the graphic novel by the way) that was brilliant, the artist was spot on, go to second arc and it's been drawn by someone else whose artwork is dire in fact it looks a lot like good ole sean's handiwork.
    this is my big worry with the dark tower film/series etc that someone will take it on, and for some reason someone will leave and get replaced by someone who'll wreck it.ive really enjoyed the dark tower comic likewise the stand and american vampire,and the guy pencilled in for little sisters etc looks brilliant i just hope someone takes mr philips stubby crayolas off him before he does some more damage......

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Welcome to the site, jack.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the artwork here. Sean Phillips is a very well respected artist. He's an Eisner Award winner.

I think, maybe, you should wait until your other issues arrive, and give those a look-see.

I think, in general, the DT comics have been very lucky with the artists involved ( Jae Lee, Richard Isanove, et al - not to mention the outstanding group of variant cover artists ).

Sean Phillips' page at Marvel

Gosh, and I love the look and feel of these :

The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Welcome to the site, jack.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the artwork here. Sean Phillips is a very well respected artist. He's an Eisner Award winner.

I think, maybe, you should wait until your other issues arrive, and give those a look-see.
    Yeah, I agree. I get what Sean means on the last issue though. There was something off about some of the faces, but I didn't notice that on the other issues. I've actually rather enjoyed the grittier style in these 'closer to the present' stories. Maybe time was a factor in this last issue and he had to rush it. It wasn't every panel though, and didn't really spoil things for me.

Traveler RockaBetty is on a distinguished road

Default Artistic Differences

Sheemie is about my favourite character. Along with Patrick and Oy. And Detta Walker. And Dandelo. Okay so he's my favourite one that's cute enough I don't want anything horrible to happen to him, I really care about what happens to him. Because he's cute. I have recently been given the first three DT marvel comics and feel that Sheemie doesn't look right. I love these graphic novels so far. Amazing stuff. And the art is beautiful Jae Lee is amazing, and don't have that many artistic differences. It's mainly Sheemie and Rhea. I can cope with Rhea because she looks like a cute old lady here and I quite enjoy that but I feel like Sheemie is quite far off what he's described as. But I guess it's artistic licence. I agree that he should be older. And I think with more hair. Would love to real a whole comic about him mind, even if he does look wrong for me.

Traveler wganz is on a distinguished road

Default Digital versions

Just got my iPad & was wondering if there is an electronic version of these?

My Mood
    Gay

Marvel offers a Digital Comics service ... by subscription.

It's located here.

Welcome to the site.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Traveler wganz is on a distinguished road

Sorry, did searches for 'Dark Tower', 'Stephen King', and 'Sheemie' but got only Fantastic 4 & such returned. What should be the search terms to return these?

My Mood
    Gay

I know for sure that Gunslinger Born is available ... Click Here and so is the sketchbook for GB. Click Here

Traveler killboi is on a distinguished road killboi's Avatar

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nocny View Post
    it's not new arc, it's one-shot.
    my bad....i wonder if they wud reveal their plans for next arc at NYCC

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by killboi View Post
    my bad....i wonder if they wud reveal their plans for next arc at NYCC
    Their next arc will be The Little Sisters of Eluria. Or did you mean the next one?

My Mood
    Gay

Yup. Little Sisters it is, I've already ordered my issues!

Traveler Blackout is on a distinguished road

Default DT Hardcover questions

While I used to be into comic books, I pretty much lost my enthusiasm due to the industry's state in like the early to mid-90s. Still might buy one every now and then, especially issues from the late 70s to early 80s because I love the storytelling in those, but I don't collect like I used to.

My interest now lies in graphic novels. Mostly because they contain completed stories and the binding and added material many times is spectacular. They look good on the bookshelf. I am not concerned about getting first editions as much as I am about getting an excellent, beautiful, readable book. But I am very choosy about my purchases, and base most (not all) of my decisions off of other purchaser's comments.

My question: Negative reviews on Amazon state "The Gunslinger Born" collected hardcover fails to include back stories that were in the comics that readers enjoyed. Has an edition been put out that includes those? Do the other two DK hardcover collections that have been published include such stories as were included in the comics from those series? Also, is there any difference in the between the regular and the limited editions other than the cover/binding/slipcase.

Thanks!

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    While I used to be into comic books, I pretty much lost my enthusiasm due to the industry's state in like the early to mid-90s. Still might buy one every now and then, especially issues from the late 70s to early 80s because I love the storytelling in those, but I don't collect like I used to.

My interest now lies in graphic novels. Mostly because they contain completed stories and the binding and added material many times is spectacular. They look good on the bookshelf. I am not concerned about getting first editions as much as I am about getting an excellent, beautiful, readable book. But I am very choosy about my purchases, and base most (not all) of my decisions off of other purchaser's comments.

My question: Negative reviews on Amazon state "The Gunslinger Born" collected hardcover fails to include back stories that were in the comics that readers enjoyed. Has an edition been put out that includes those? Do the other two DK hardcover collections that have been published include such stories as were included in the comics from those series? Also, is there any difference in the between the regular and the limited editions other than the cover/binding/slipcase.

Thanks!
    Hello Blackout and welcome to the site.

Yes, it's true - the GNs only contain the comic story arcs, and very little ( if any ) of the other material included in the original published comics. Many of the individual comic issues included sketchbooks, maps, essays, interviews, etc - these were not included in the Graphic Novel collections.

There were no GNs issued with slipcases, but there were several that had multiple covers. The only difference in those are the dustjacket covers. Many of us, however, did buy slipcases from a secondary market vendor.

For more detail, including covers, check out our King Comics Catalog.

There's also a lot of DT Comics discussion located here if you have any questions!

FYI : So far, all are available in Hardback only, with the exception of Gunslinger Born which was just released in paperback.

Again, welcome!

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I buy graphic novels for the exact same reason. I hated having all of the comic long boxes in tow every time I moved. And I like the way the GN's look on the shelf too.

I have all of the DT graphic novels. There were no limited editions that I know of that had any extra material in them. All of the GN's simply have the regular comic content without the back stories. And I think the cover differences were just that. But I'll let the Comic experts verify all of this.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I voted Insomnia...

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Pam,

Do you have any updates on Sheemie? I've been looking and haven't found it anywhere yet.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Gunslinger Apprentice nocny will become famous soon enough nocny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

as far as I know it was postponed to uncertain future.

My Mood
    Gay

James - Looks to be released on January 26, 2011.

I ordered mine back in September, so there was defintely some kind of delay.

Note At The Marvel Comics Database

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the info, Pam!

John

Gunslinger Apprentice nocny will become famous soon enough nocny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

today the date has been changed on sk.com on December 29th (from December 7th).

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I was on the Heavy Ink comic website and it is listed for Dec 29th there also.

Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast