Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gwendy's Button Box

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TheByteSmasher View Post
    Howdy all. I'm going to throw my 2˘ in here. Firstly, I've seen cries that this was a money grab. I don't think so. It is a neat little story. Similar to Joyland. It's just a quiet story. There are a ton of King-isms in this book. Down to the writer's word choices... pish-tosh and so on. As for Flagg and Farris being the same, I'd say yes. in TDT and The Stand (maybe eyes of the dragon) Flagg is a more centrally located character. We see more of him, we see more into him... As such I believe that A) Flagg does not always remember what he did or who he even is while traveling between worlds, even on the King's bidding. B) Flagg isn't evil, just selfish and ruthless. In the stand he was very dictatorial but in the wind through the keyhole, as the covenant man, he was a bit like Richard Farris in Gwendy's BB. A little harsher in manner but, he allowed events to happen and for people to make their own choices.. He just set it in motion and watched. That's what he likes doing... I think he's actually a little closer to Fate personified than strictly evil in most cases... Also.. I think there is a little discontinuity because I'm not 100% sure that for his entire writing career, SK thought of RF as the actual same guy in all his books until later on.
    Additionally, a word on Horror: I do not believe Horror has to be actually goose bumps scary. Gwendy's is a horror due to the sheer nature of, and visceral reaction from, the situations in the book. That being said, I didn't love the story. Largely because of the basic premise : young girl grows up. I've raised 2 girls and have had enough teenage drama for the rest of my life
    Good first post, TBS. Welcome to the site.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Howdy all. I'm going to throw my 2˘ in here. Firstly, I've seen cries that this was a money grab. I don't think so. It is a neat little story. Similar to Joyland. It's just a quiet story. There are a ton of King-isms in this book. Down to the writer's word choices... pish-tosh and so on. As for Flagg and Farris being the same, I'd say yes. in TDT and The Stand (maybe eyes of the dragon) Flagg is a more centrally located character. We see more of him, we see more into him... As such I believe that A) Flagg does not always remember what he did or who he even is while traveling between worlds, even on the King's bidding. B) Flagg isn't evil, just selfish and ruthless. In the stand he was very dictatorial but in the wind through the keyhole, as the covenant man, he was a bit like Richard Farris in Gwendy's BB. A little harsher in manner but, he allowed events to happen and for people to make their own choices.. He just set it in motion and watched. That's what he likes doing... I think he's actually a little closer to Fate personified than strictly evil in most cases... Also.. I think there is a little discontinuity because I'm not 100% sure that for his entire writing career, SK thought of RF as the actual same guy in all his books until later on.
    Additionally, a word on Horror: I do not believe Horror has to be actually goose bumps scary. Gwendy's is a horror due to the sheer nature of, and visceral reaction from, the situations in the book. That being said, I didn't love the story. Largely because of the basic premise : young girl grows up. I've raised 2 girls and have had enough teenage drama for the rest of my life
    Yes, welcome to the site.

I gotta tell ya though, I don't see the Joyland connection at all. Joyland comes in at 82,000+ words (The Mist comes in around 73,000+ words, Carrie and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon are only 60,000+ words, while The Colorado Kid is only 36,000+ words), so to call it a "neat little story similar to Joyland" is a bit of a disservice. Joyland is one of my favorite King novels. The story may seem small at times, but I find it brilliant. Much of King's worlds take place in these small towns that have secrets hidden underneath. That being said, I agree with your assertion that Gwendy's comes up short (pun intended) in the King cannon on multiple levels. I think that someone on the site had Gwendy at about 23,000 words. There is only so much that can be done at that size.

Again, welcome to the site. It's a fun place where King fans can agree and disagree with each other, hopefully, without too much consternation. I have raised two girls too, so you have my congratulations and my sympathies - mostly congratulations!

Traveler TheByteSmasher is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Yes, welcome to the site.

I gotta tell ya though, I don't see the Joyland connection at all. Joyland comes in at 82,000+ words (The Mist comes in around 73,000+ words, Carrie and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon are only 60,000+ words, while The Colorado Kid is only 36,000+ words), so to call it a "neat little story similar to Joyland" is a bit of a disservice. Joyland is one of my favorite King novels. The story may seem small at times, but I find it brilliant. Much of King's worlds take place in these small towns that have secrets hidden underneath. That being said, I agree with your assertion that Gwendy's comes up short (pun intended) in the King cannon on multiple levels. I think that someone on the site had Gwendy at about 23,000 words. There is only so much that can be done at that size.

Again, welcome to the site. It's a fun place where King fans can agree and disagree with each other, hopefully, without too much consternation. I have raised two girls too, so you have my congratulations and my sympathies - mostly congratulations!
    Thanks. What I meant by the Joyland connection was the... Overall pace. That is a great book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Brian Keene revealed this in his weekly newsletter today:

I'll be finishing PROJECT CASTLE, which some wily readers have figured out is a graphic novel adaptation of Stephen King and Richard Chizmar's Gwendy's Button Box, and it is... except that it's actually a lot more than that since it's going to include stuff that isn't in the novel. And yes, it is fun to play in Castle Rock. Indeed, this is the most fun I've ever had playing with settings and characters and franchises other than my own.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2