Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Shining at Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Shining at Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/...-horror-nights
    A classic horror movie will come to life at Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights this year, as the popular annual event debuts a maze based on The Shining.

Check out the video announcement for the maze below:

The Shining maze will be a part of Halloween Horror Nights at both Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort. Per the official description from Universal:

The Shining maze at Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights will provide guests with a unique opportunity to relive some of the film’s most iconic, and sinister, moments. While venturing through the eerie Overlook Hotel, guests will be thrust into the hotel’s tragic history of murder and madness, bearing witness to caretaker Jack Torrance’s spiraling descent into insanity. Nightmarish visions will come to life in this macabre maze, overwhelming guests with the “shine” of the murderous, ghostly entities that lurk around every turn – all while trying to escape the wrath of Jack Torrance as he violently succumbs to the hotel’s paranormal forces.

Halloween Horror Nights typically has a mixture of recent and classic horror properties, with recent years including mazes based on iconic films like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Exorcist and the Halloween franchise. In this case, inspiration comes from Stanley Kubrick’s acclaimed 1980 adaptation of Stephen King’s novel, which starred Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance.

Halloween Horror Nights kicks off in September at both Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort. The Shining is the second maze announced so far, following American Horror Story.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting that this follows an earlier story:

http://movieweb.com/stephen-king-the...universal-mgm/
    If you are a Stephen King fan, 2017 is going to be a great year for you. The Dark Tower movie adaptation is finally happening, after the project spent years in development, a new, terrifying version of IT is one the way, Castlerock is heading to Hulu, and the author has a new book coming out. So what could possibly make this year better for fans of the horror icon? How about a theme park ride? It turns out that almost happened not once, but twice, and we have some details on why these awesome sounding attractions never came to be.

Per Bloody Disgusting, the time that Universal Studios Florida was toying with doing a Stephen King themed attraction was much closer to happening. There aren't a lot of details known about the horror-themed ride that never was, but Bloody Disgusting did manage to unearth some details about how the ride would have ended, and it would have been a total thrill for fans of IT and The Shining. Here's how they are describing the climax of the scrapped Universal Studios ride.

"Part-way through, riders would pull into the unload station and hear the usual instructions on how to exit without extensive bodily injury. But the restraints wouldn't lift and the ride wasn't over. A Shining-sized deluge of blood would flood out of the exit doors, Pennywise Itself would spring from the control room and riders would hurtle deeper into the nightmare/toward the gift shop."

The ride was ultimately scrapped in favor of Men in Black: Alien Attack. There were also reportedly plans for a ride based on Apollo 13 and a possible attraction based on The Simpsons that would have been quite a bit different than the one that exists now. As exciting as the wall of blood would have been for horror fans and thrill seekers, that was actually part of the problem and why this Stephen King ride wound up not happening. The plumbing system that would have needed to be in place for this blood was something that couldn't be justified by those in charge. So it was scrapped.

Disney's MGM-Studios also came closer to getting a Stephen King attraction in the early 90s, but very little is known about this one since it didn't get overly far in the development process. Demand for the park was dramatically underestimated, so the park needed to expand rapidly. They ultimately did wind up with a horror-themed ride, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, but a Stephen King ride was on the table. It was decided by Disney that Stephen King and the Mouse House weren't really a good fit for one another, so the project died quickly. There aren't even any confirmed details as to what books the ride may have taken inspiration from.

If 2017 is the massive year for Stephen King in pop culture that it looks like it could be, the idea of a theme park ride centered on his creations, perhaps the idea could be revived. The closest we can get is some repurposed ideas for the Universal Studios attraction from ride designer, John Murdy. He reused some of the ideas in Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride, but it doesn't have quite the same feel as it may have otherwise. And it certainly doesn't have Pennywise.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Woah. This would be very cool (and terrifying) to experience.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A Stephen King ride sounds pretty great. The sewers of Derry would be perfect for an indoor ride!

If Universal spent as much time, money, and attention-to-detail on a SK ride as they did for the Harry Potter one, it would be amazing.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    The sewers of Derry would be perfect for an indoor ride!
    [IT spoiler]
    Spoiler:
    As long as the sewer-orgy isn't part of it.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh no. Can you imagine?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

I imagine you're going along on the ride and you're all "Wow, this is creepy and awesome", then you round a corner and you're all "Oh, God. No!"

Gunslinger Apprentice BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough

How about a Blaine the Mono ride? That woule be fun lol

Quote Originally Posted by BuctherOfTull View Post
    How about a Blaine the Mono ride? That woule be fun lol
    That would be awesome!

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

There is a band in orlando called Blaine the Mono.

So If you come to town to visit the Halloween Horror Nights Shining extravaganza, perhaps you could check out one of their shows! 8)
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Gunslinger Apprentice BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough

I went to the Hollywood horror nights last year. It was pretty fun. The Freddy versus Jason maze was the Longest Line I ever stood in. In my entire life. So far lol. I'm gonna try and go again this year.To check out the Shining maze Maybe next year they will have a Maze based on the It remake

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

HOW ABOUT A....
    Spoiler:
    MAZE MAZE? NOW THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

The thing is, they want you to move along pretty quickly once you're in the maze. I would want to hang out and spend sometime looking at everything. I'll keep an eye out for a theme park review on youtube.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    The thing is, they want you to move along pretty quickly once you're in the maze. I would want to hang out and spend sometime looking at everything. I'll keep an eye out for a theme park review on youtube.
    Yeah you kind of have to be a Ninja and look at everything fast as you pass through.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds neat but I will never stand in amusement park lines again. I've been to HHN and enjoyed it for the night out...the lines made it something I will never seek out again. The ones for the BG Halloween event were even worse and the attractions were not as good.

Country
    Country Flag

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

That's awesome
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I went to this a couple weeks ago.. and MY GOODNESS it was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10/10
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Couple of enjoyable walk through videos.

1080p60

You've got to watch both to catch all the scares.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ITs funny cause I tried to film it and they FREAKED on me. Threatened to kick me out. I do have to say... SAW was my fav haunted house with this second.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe the people who do these videos have to fill out some sort of disclosure form with the park. You'll notice they never have commercials for these videos so they aren't making a profit.

Went to Universal's Horror Nights for my honeymoon 3 years ago, it was fun and the attractions were great, but the lines suuuuuck. If we go again, I'll be getting a fastpass. I usually put my Samsung Gear VR on to watch these. It's the "best" I'm going to get in experiencing these attractions for the time being.

+ Reply to Thread