Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Writing question about using brand name products

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Writing question about using brand name products

I have a question about whether I should use product names like cars. My character in my new NA/YA novel loves Chevy's. He is a used car salesman and he lives and breathes Chevy, he wears Chevy hats and shirts.

He hates Fords (please, I don't want to start anything, my character feels this way.)

Should I use the actual car names or make them up? If I use the actual car names would that be blatant product placement? How do you guys feel about product placement in novels?

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Where I come from people get into knock down drag out fights over Chevy vs. Ford. My husband said "Chevy rules Ford sucks in a bar and he got a bottle thrown at him."

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post
    I have a question about whether I should use product names like cars. My character in my new NA/YA novel loves Chevy's. He is a used car salesman and he lives and breathes Chevy, he wears Chevy hats and shirts.

He hates Fords (please, I don't want to start anything, my character feels this way.)

Should I use the actual car names or make them up? If I use the actual car names would that be blatant product placement? How do you guys feel about product placement in novels?
    Yes and no. It really depends. My suggestion is, use the names as you see fit, let the story flow. Once you get to it, your editor will be able to address anything of potential issue. Although, if it becomes a key item/place in your story it could potentially cause more rework. There are ways around this though.

This is an interesting article that may help shed some light: http://www.betternovelproject.com/blog/trademarks/
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:

Country
    Country Flag

This is interesting as well: https://stevelaube.com/name-brands-in-fiction/

WTB:

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My husband said "Chevy rules Ford sucks in a bar and he got a bottle thrown at him."
    What country and western song was playing in the background at the time?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Would it feel stranger if the character DIDN'T mention the brand of a car that he loves, or if he loved a fictitious car brand that wouldn't mean anything to readers?

Country
    Country Flag

Not to forget 'From a BUICK 8'

WTB:

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post

Would it feel stranger if the character DIDN'T mention the brand of a car that he loves, or if he loved a fictitious car brand that wouldn't mean anything to readers?
    This is a great question!

WTB:

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    My husband said "Chevy rules Ford sucks in a bar and he got a bottle thrown at him."
    What country and western song was playing in the background at the time?
    RAWHIDE by the GOOD OLD BLUES BROTHERS.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey, great resources guys. I am a high school English teacher and it's always great to add to he my reservoir of resources.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

And in music...

Mustang Sally

Makin' Thunderbirds

"Drove Chevy to the Levy but..."
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    And in music...

Mustang Sally

Makin' Thunderbirds

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well King sure promotes the hell out of Apple in his books. But they probably pay him lol.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    And in music...

Mustang Sally

Makin' Thunderbirds

Ah yes...quite the classic
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

+ Reply to Thread