Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommended King audiobooks?

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Recommended King audiobooks?

Have some free Audible credit. One of the books I'm planning on getting is IT, was curious if there are any other recommended King audios in terms of performance from the reader. I'm not doing the DT series fwiw.

If anyone's listened to Weber's IT, that's probably the standard I'm looking for. Not crazy about readers who go too far in their dialogue and making silly voices but also not for ones who just read the whole thing in monotone.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Frank Muller was an excellent audio performer and he did the first 4 DT books, The Green Mile, Different Seasons, and Black House. (Perhaps others as well..)
    I highly recommend all his work.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, ended up picking Black House.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone ever done the audibook for Desperation? It's my favorite non-DT SK book and I've always wondered how it is.

Country
    Country Flag

Yep, SK read it himself.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/De...ook/B01AVG9FQM

There's also an abridged version by Kathy Bates but IDK if that's out of print.

My Collection

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Bag of Bones is terrific in audio -- read by King and in first person, so it really makes the story seem intimate.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Ron McLarty does a nice job with 'Salem's Lot. I will be checking out James Franco reading The Dead Zone when it becomes available in late April.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

It would be easier to list the not-so great King narrators then the good ones since they usually pick such great ones.

Holter Grahmn, McClarty, Mueller and Lindsay Crouse are amazing.

Some famous folks were good too. Frances Sterhagen, William Hurt, Bronson Pinchot.

Some weren't: Anne Hache, Willem Dafoe, I thought Sissy Spacek was recorded too low.

Steve and Mare Winningham are my favorites though.

Country
    Country Flag

There's a 50% off sale at Audible for those interested.

My Collection

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

I'm not seeing it. I am trying to GoT cheap for my old lady but prices look the same.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Bag of Bones is terrific in audio -- read by King and in first person, so it really makes the story seem intimate.
    I second this. Not only a great story but King does narrate it really well. I also really recommend King's On Writing. Also self narrated, talk about intimate since it's him sharing his past. Lots of fun too!
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    I'm not seeing it. I am trying to GoT cheap for my old lady but prices look the same.
    You have to be a member. Today's the last day though.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

King narrated Needful Things and it was fantastic. Most of King's narration is great. Except Wind Through the Keyhole. He sounded really tired on that one. And disinterested.

Duma Key is fantastic, imo. Salem's Lot is also very good. Will Patten narrates 3 or 4 King books and they are all horribly done. Not sure how he got to ruin so many books but he did. I think he did all 3 Mr Mercedes and Dr Sleep, which somewhat explains my dislike for those books.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I didn't mind him for the Mr. Mercedes books, but he was a horrible choice for Dr. Sleep. He has that hard boiled detective voice which I thought worked for those books, but they really should have chosen someone with a softer kinder voice for Danny Torence. I was pretty indifferent about Dr. Sleep the first time I read it. I hated it as a sequel to The Shining, but as a standalone book I didn't think it was horrible. Well when I did a re-read and listened to the audio book, it really made me dislike the book as a whole. I'm not sure if it was the horrible narration, or that the story was just bad
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice Zidan will become famous soon enough Zidan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I picked up the audiobook for Everything's Eventual recently and listened to the title story as I was working my way through the Dark Tower series. The first person narration for Dinky was phenomenal and really got me into the short story. I believe it was Justin Long who did the narration.

Others I enjoyed include: Eli Wallach's narration for Insomnia (his voice worked well for Ralph & the little bald doctors) and everything Frank Muller touched.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    Frank Muller was an excellent audio performer and he did the first 4 DT books, The Green Mile, Different Seasons, and Black House. (Perhaps others as well..)
    I highly recommend all his work.
    He also did The Talisman which I'm currently listening to
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    It would be easier to list the not-so great King narrators then the good ones since they usually pick such great ones.

Holter Grahmn, McClarty, Mueller and Lindsay Crouse are amazing.

Some famous folks were good too. Frances Sterhagen, William Hurt, Bronson Pinchot.

Some weren't: Anne Hache, Willem Dafoe, I thought Sissy Spacek was recorded too low.

Steve and Mare Winningham are my favorites though.
    I really enjoyed Dafoe's reading.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Traveler redman is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I listened to most King books, I even listened to him read the 1st 3 Tower books and he is my favorite reader. I enjoyed Drunken Fireworks it was hilarious but I can't remember who read it

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Gunslinger Apprentice Zidan will become famous soon enough Zidan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    I listened to most King books, I even listened to him read the 1st 3 Tower books and he is my favorite reader. I enjoyed Drunken Fireworks it was hilarious but I can't remember who read it

I just finished that one and really enjoyed it. Read by Tim Sample.

Traveler redman is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Yes that's him

Country
    Country Flag

He should do pretty well. I'll be picking it up.

Edit: Also looks a new Mass Market PB cover and Turtleback release on the 31st of this month as well.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Other then some short stories, (blood and smoke, L.T.'s theory of pets, the stationary bike, a face in the crowd, etc), I have never listened to any full length novels. I always listed to them in the car while commuting to work. Now I have a car that doesn't have a CD player (wasn't even an option). Its got a few USB ports. So for a guy living in the past who loves his CD's, is there an convenient alternative for listing to (SK) books in the car? Are there USB sticks preloaded with SK MP3's available?
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Do you have a smart phone and a library card? I use the Overdrive app all the time for audiobooks. You just put in your library card info and then you can download the audiobooks straight to your phone for 2 weeks.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I’m listening to the audible audiobook for the tommyknockers read by Edward herrmann, and it’s really well done. He does a great reading.
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast