2017 Haven Foundation Fundraiser
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Movie Scene of All Time - Nominations Thread REDUX

Maerlyn's Imp Iwritecode is just really nice Iwritecode is just really nice Iwritecode is just really nice Iwritecode is just really nice Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Nomination #18: "Friend Like Me" from Aladdin (1992), directed by Ron Clements and John Musker:

Time to get some animated films nominated!
    2nd

One of my favorite Disney movies. There is a part in this movie that I laughed at for a good 10 minutes the first time I saw it. But it's only a quick 2 second thing so I didn't nominate it.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Maerlyn's Imp Iwritecode is just really nice Iwritecode is just really nice Iwritecode is just really nice Iwritecode is just really nice Iwritecode's Avatar

What the hell, I'll throw it in. Found a perfect clip.

nomination #14

scene: First Wish
    film: Aladdin
    director: Ron Clements, John Musker
    year: 1992

Spoiler:

The part where his jaw hits the floor after he figures out he was tricked just cracks me up.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Goldmember webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nom 18 (I thought they captured the awe in this scene perfectly!)

Jurassic Park
    See's the Dino's for the first time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJlmYh27MHg
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Guardian of the Beam frik has a spectacular aura about frik has a spectacular aura about frik has a spectacular aura about frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

second:

Scene: The "Grey" scene - Courtyard duel
    Film: Hero

sk

Citizen of Gilead amd013 has a spectacular aura about amd013 has a spectacular aura about amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow really surprised no love for Dirty Harry. Well, if at first you don't succeed, try try again:

Nomination #16

Scene: Go ahead, make my day
    Movie: Sudden Impact
    Year: 1983
    Director: Clint Eastwood
    Spoilers: None

Spoiler:

Second: Hallway Scene - The Breakfast Club
    Wanted:

The Stand Lettered Edition
    The Stand Traycase

Senior Haven Fundraiser T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

SECOND

Club scene - John Wick.

Nothing like a bit of gun fu!

NOMINATION # 19

Considering people are now starting to nominate Disney films, here is my contribution....

Scene: The Royal Ball scene
    Film: Cinderella
    Director: Kenneth Branagh
    Year: 2015
    Spoiler: None

The set design, cinematography and costumes in this film are all truly breathtaking!

"They float, Georgie. They float... And when you're down here with me, you'll float too!"

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nomination #19: The death scene from Grave of the Fireflies (1988), directed by Isao Takahata:

Another animated nomination, and it's one of my all-time favorite films. It's one of those I rarely watch because it's so emotionally draining. And this scene in particular (I couldn't find the original Japanese version with subtitles, so the dub will have to do - it's not bad). This is one of very few movies that made me cry when I first saw it and even now watching the clip it gets me emotional. The animation is perfect and the (original) voice acting is so heartbreaking. One of the saddest moments in cinema history. The whole thing is a big SPOILER, obviously, but this is a nearly 40 year old film, come on, and I think the premise is well known. If you have not seen it, the scene perhaps doesn't really work or have impact without context, so I would definitely implore anyone who's yet to see this to watch it if you can. In my view, it's the best animated film of all time, and just plain one of the best films of all time.

Alls fair n lve n cld war Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Still Servant - Nomination #8

"Coffee's for closers" - Glengarry Glen Ross
    Spoiler:

One of the greatest movie cameos of all-time, as well as one of the best monologues ever.

Alls fair n lve n cld war Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant is a splendid one to behold Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

In regards to sheet #2 on the flow chart, are we not worrying about that anymore? I've noticed the main sheet, which is more important, is being kept up with, but the sheet with the list of what people have nominated/seconded hasn't been.

If we aren't going to worry about it anymore then let me know and I will stop updating it. Thanks.

Guardian of the Beam frik has a spectacular aura about frik has a spectacular aura about frik has a spectacular aura about frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

second:

Jurassic Park

sk

Goldmember webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    second:

Jurassic Park

sk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo has much to be proud of pablo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    In regards to sheet #2 on the flow chart, are we not worrying about that anymore? I've noticed the main sheet, which is more important, is being kept up with, but the sheet with the list of what people have nominated/seconded hasn't been.

If we aren't going to worry about it anymore then let me know and I will stop updating it. Thanks.
    And are we keeping track of movie/franchise totals? I'm thinking of another Star Wars and another Batman scene, but I'm not sure how much has gotten in yet exactly.

Country
    Country Flag

And are we keeping track of movie/franchise totals? I'm thinking of another Star Wars and another Batman scene, but I'm not sure how much has gotten in yet exactly.
    Who cares? Serously though... let them all in so we can get to our goal
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead amd013 has a spectacular aura about amd013 has a spectacular aura about amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Who cares? Serously though... let them all in so we can get to our goal

If it includes Jar-Jar Binx, I'm voting you off the island.

(or should I say "Meesa voting yousa off de island")
    Wanted:

The Stand Traycase

Losers Club Heather19 is a name known to all Heather19 is a name known to all Heather19 is a name known to all Heather19 is a name known to all Heather19 is a name known to all Heather19 is a name known to all Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Nomination #5

Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford - Train Robbery Scene
    Director: Andrew Dominik

Spoiler:

I love this film and it contains some of the best cinematography. There are so many great scenes in this film, but I'm going to nominate the train robbery scene. The lighting in this scene is amazing. The use of shadows and the music. It's just a very beautiful scene.
    Have you guys watched this scene? It hasn't even received a second yet It's so beautifully shot. I'm hoping it just got lost in the shuffle and I'm not the only one here that appreciates it.
    We all float down here

Country
    Country Flag

Nomination #5

Spoiler:

I love this film and it contains some of the best cinematography. There are so many great scenes in this film, but I'm going to nominate the train robbery scene. The lighting in this scene is amazing. The use of shadows and the music. It's just a very beautiful scene.
    Have you guys watched this scene? It hasn't even received a second yet It's so beautifully shot. I'm hoping it just got lost in the shuffle and I'm not the only one here that appreciates it.
    Nope but I just did and forgot how well done that was. Seconded!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Nomination #5

Spoiler:

Thanks for posting the link again. I missed it the first time around. Unfortunately I'll still pass, although I agree it has great cinematography.

Having said that, I think its helpful to include the links in the spreadsheet. There are still lots of scenes I have not viewed yet, but don't feel like hunting down the link. I have added links to all of my movies that are not yet in. I also added links for all the movies on this page (I am setup for 20 posts per page). If the title of the scene is underlined in the spreadsheet, then that means the link is included. To use the link hover over the cell, then the link should pop up above the cell.

I may enter more links over time.
    Wanted:

The Stand Traycase

Senior Haven Fundraiser T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    I think its helpful to include the links in the spreadsheet. There are still lots of scenes I have not viewed yet, but don't feel like hunting down the link. I have added links to all of my movies that are not yet in. I also added links for all the movies on this page (I am setup for 20 posts per page). If the title of the scene is underlined in the spreadsheet, then that means the link is included. To use the link hover over the cell, then the link should pop up above the cell.

I may enter more links over time.
    I'm on it!

"They float, Georgie. They float... And when you're down here with me, you'll float too!"

Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a name known to all Mattrick is a name known to all Mattrick is a name known to all Mattrick is a name known to all Mattrick is a name known to all Mattrick is a name known to all Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been updating it, more or less for the nominations than the seconds.

Oh, I'm goin' slap happy! I'm goin' slap slap happy! Slappity slapping ya, teachin' ya a lesson for comin' in my house!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick is a name known to all Mattrick is a name known to all Mattrick is a name known to all Mattrick is a name known to all Mattrick is a name known to all Mattrick is a name known to all Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Nomination #14 - Szpilman plays to Hosenfield - The Pianist (2002)
    Director: Roman Polanski
    Spoiler:

The subtitles aren't in English so here is the dialogue. This is the only complete scene I could find.

THE GERMAN CAPTAIN (stern) Who the hell are you?
    Szpilman just stares at him.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    Who are you?
    No response. T
    HE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    What the hell are you doing?
    SZPILMAN (barely audible, in German) I was... I was trying to open this tin.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    Where do you live?
    No response.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    What's your work?
    SZPILMAN
    I am... I was a pianist.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    A pianist.
    He studies Szpilman for a moment, then with a nod orders him to follow. Szpilman picks up the tin and follows.

INT. ROOMS, RUINED VILLA - NIGHT

Szpilman follows the German Captain through a double door, hanging off its hinges, into a room with a broken table in the centre, what once was the dining room. And then through another set of doors. The German Captain's boots echo. They come into a spacious room. Faint moonlight filters through the large windows. Fallen masonry and broken glass. A couple of chairs. And a grand piano in the corner. The German Captain points at the piano.

THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    Play.

Szpilman hesitates, then limps to the piano, puts down the tin, and opens the lid. He turns and drags one of the chairs over and sits. The German Captain stands and watches. Szpilman glances surreptitiously at his hands, and then he plays Chopin. The German Captain listens, expressionless. The pale moonlight shows him to be a handsome, elegant man. Szpilman finishes playing. Silence. Somewhere, a cat mews. Distant burst of rifle fire. The German Captain stares at Szpilman.

After a moment: THE GERMAN CAPTAIN Are you hiding here?
    Szpilman nods.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    Jew? Long pause. Szpilman just stares at him.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    Where are you hiding?
    SZPILMAN (in German) In the attic.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN Show me.
    Szpilman hesitates, takes the tin and then shuffles past the German Captain towards the door.

INT. ATTIC AND LOFT AREA, RUINED VILLA - NIGHT

Szpilman and the German Captain enter. The German Captain takes out a flashlight, sees the ladder in place, leading up to the loft. Szpilman climbs the ladder, squeezes into the loft and looks down at the German Captain, who shines his light on him.

THE GERMAN CAPTAIN Have you anything to eat?
    Szpilman shows him the tin.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    I'll bring you something.

He goes quickly, leaving Szpilman in darkness. Szpilman, overcome by relief, can barely catch his breath.

EXT. RUINED VILLA - NIGHT

The German Captain strides out of the villa, down the front steps to a waiting car and a driver. He gets into the car. The driver starts the engine and the car speeds off into the night.

Seconding (thirding) The Train Robbery Scene from Assassination of Jesse James.

Oh, I'm goin' slap happy! I'm goin' slap slap happy! Slappity slapping ya, teachin' ya a lesson for comin' in my house!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

None of my nominations have made it in yet :'( Come on guys, I've nominated at least a few classics.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    None of my nominations have made it in yet :'( Come on guys, I've nominated at least a few classics.
    So many different tastes here... that's the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Nomination #14 - Szpilman plays to Hosenfield - The Pianist (2002)
    Director: Roman Polanski
    Spoiler:

The subtitles aren't in English so here is the dialogue. This is the only complete scene I could find.

THE GERMAN CAPTAIN (stern) Who the hell are you?
    Szpilman just stares at him.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    Who are you?
    No response. T
    HE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    What the hell are you doing?
    SZPILMAN (barely audible, in German) I was... I was trying to open this tin.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    Where do you live?
    No response.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    What's your work?
    SZPILMAN
    I am... I was a pianist.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    A pianist.
    He studies Szpilman for a moment, then with a nod orders him to follow. Szpilman picks up the tin and follows.

INT. ROOMS, RUINED VILLA - NIGHT

Szpilman follows the German Captain through a double door, hanging off its hinges, into a room with a broken table in the centre, what once was the dining room. And then through another set of doors. The German Captain's boots echo. They come into a spacious room. Faint moonlight filters through the large windows. Fallen masonry and broken glass. A couple of chairs. And a grand piano in the corner. The German Captain points at the piano.

THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    Play.

Szpilman hesitates, then limps to the piano, puts down the tin, and opens the lid. He turns and drags one of the chairs over and sits. The German Captain stands and watches. Szpilman glances surreptitiously at his hands, and then he plays Chopin. The German Captain listens, expressionless. The pale moonlight shows him to be a handsome, elegant man. Szpilman finishes playing. Silence. Somewhere, a cat mews. Distant burst of rifle fire. The German Captain stares at Szpilman.

After a moment: THE GERMAN CAPTAIN Are you hiding here?
    Szpilman nods.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    Jew? Long pause. Szpilman just stares at him.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    Where are you hiding?
    SZPILMAN (in German) In the attic.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN Show me.
    Szpilman hesitates, takes the tin and then shuffles past the German Captain towards the door.

INT. ATTIC AND LOFT AREA, RUINED VILLA - NIGHT

Szpilman and the German Captain enter. The German Captain takes out a flashlight, sees the ladder in place, leading up to the loft. Szpilman climbs the ladder, squeezes into the loft and looks down at the German Captain, who shines his light on him.

THE GERMAN CAPTAIN Have you anything to eat?
    Szpilman shows him the tin.
    THE GERMAN CAPTAIN
    I'll bring you something.

He goes quickly, leaving Szpilman in darkness. Szpilman, overcome by relief, can barely catch his breath.

EXT. RUINED VILLA - NIGHT

The German Captain strides out of the villa, down the front steps to a waiting car and a driver. He gets into the car. The driver starts the engine and the car speeds off into the night.

Seconding (thirding) The Train Robbery Scene from Assassination of Jesse James.
    Its blocked in US due to copyright grounds.
    Wanted:

The Stand Traycase

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, that sucks.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I have now finished updating the spreadsheet with links to all the movie scenes, and it took forever to complete!

Where a movie scene has several video clips, I have linked back to the original nomination in this thread.

I also found that the 'Joker Interrogation' scene from The Dark Knight had been included twice. I have deleted the duplicate entry in the "seconded" column, as the scene has already been "thirded" (official entry #50).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 LastLast