Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 60 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Movie Scene of All Time - Nominations Thread

Hybrid View

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Greatest Movie Scene of All Time - Nominations Thread

Well, here we go.

Tournament Layout

The tournament layout will go as follows.

Qualifying: There will be 8 randomized groups to start, each containing 32 scenes, which total up to 256. The groups will go through 3 rounds fighting each other: Round 1 will be 4 groups of 8 with top 4 advancing. Round 2 will be 2 groups of 8 with the top 4 advancing. Round 3 will be 1 group of 8 with the top 4 advancing. This will be done one group at a time until all groups are done.

First Round: The remaining 64 scenes will be randomized and placed in groups of 4 (16 total). The top two scenes from each group will advance to the second round.

Second Round: The 32 scenes will be randomized for the last time and placed in groups of 4 (8 total) and the top 2 scenes from each group will advance to the third round.

Third Round - Sweet Sixteen: We enter a sudden death bracket with 4 groups of four, with two match-ups in each group, with the two winners advancing.

Fourth Round - Elite Eight:The final scenes from each of the four groups faces each other.

Fifth Round - Final Four: The champions of the four brackets will face each other: Group 1/2 and Group 3/4

Final Round: We decide our champion.

Nomination Process

Eligibility: The limit per entries of each film is 3. The limit per nominations per franchise/trilogy/series/IP is 6. I increased this because I raised the number of total nominated scenes.

What constitutes a franchise
    ? The rules for a franchise are not universal, as franchises change directors and direction and get rebooted or bootquels (as I call the new trend of combining a remake with a sequel). For simplicity sake, so we don't get into long debates over what is a reboot, are Schumacher's Batman's a new series since they vary so much from Burton's, what about MCU, is that all one franchise...each IP (intellectual property) will be considered as a franchise. ALL Batman films are the same IP, so we can have a max of 5 Batman entries. In terms of the MCU, each characters films are their own IP, and The Avengers is its own IP as well. I originally was going to allow for reboots to be a new franchise, but that just complicates things, plus Batman technically has 3 franchises that way, meaning Batman could net 18 nominations himself, the wily bastard!

What if I counted five different scenes for a movie being nominated? That's fine. The limit isn't for nominations, but for entries into the tournament. People can use a nomination on as many scenes from one film/franchise as they want, but once we've hit the 3/6 limit, remaining nominations will be stricken from the table.

Nominating Guidelines: Each member will have 15 nominations each. A nomination is merely nominating a film, but it does not guarantee entry into the tournament. Each member will also receive 20 seconds (seconding a prior nomination). This cap is to ensure no one member has too much say on what scenes are up for nomination, or enter due to being seconded.

Nominations and Seconding: You can only do ONE or THE OTHER per post. You cannot do both. This is for ease of order for everyone involved. So you have to make the choice if you'd like to nominate a scene or second one for entry. All scenes MUST BE THIRDED, so each scene requires two seconds to advance. There will be several post on the first page for ease of access which I'll discuss below

When you nominate or second also include the number of which it is i.e. nomination #6 or second #11. Also put the nomination/second in bold, preferably at font size 3 or 4 (just the scene name) so it stands out from discussion so people can count the posts. Keep track of your counts yourselves because if you've reached 15 nominations and you nominate a 16th, it will be redacted. If you nominate a scene which has already been nominated, or second a film which has already been officially entered, it will not count. But please, check the lists before hand and scan the last page or so of posts. I will not be able to update this constantly, but it will be daily for sure though I'll be trying to do so twice a day.

Spoilers: Scenes including spoilers WILL be included. So, SPOILER ALERT

Pace: The other idea of this nomination process is for it to take longer, ideally two weeks, but at least one week, so as many people can get involved as possible. To start, members will have to wait 5 other nominations/seconds to nominate/second again. We only second or nominate per post to elongate the process.

In the event that everything slows to a halt and we have not yet filled all 256 spots, I will grant more nominations/seconds to members. The number will be dependent on how far along we are, though it it will have a ratio of 4:1 (4 seconds to 1 nomination). The gap between nomination/second post will also be reduced to 3 to speed the process up; this decrease may happen earlier if there aren't enough members with nominations/seconds to wait five posts.

To be honest, it has been difficult to pin down a limit on seconds, and I will no doubt need to give more out. But since I don't know how this will play out, how many scenes will be seconded but not thirded, how many films will be nominated and not seconded, how many people will participate, the rate of posting, I opted to go lower since I can add more.

Requirements For Nomination: Stone, since not every scene will be available on youtube, but there may be other websites such as DailyMotion or LiveLeak which may contain them. If you cannot find the scene to post, it will still be eligible, but it will be at a disadvantage, and you'll be relying on people having the DVD/Netflix to watch it - in this case, having a time stamp of the scene for when the tournament starts will be a big help.

Each nomination requires the following:
    Scene Name: Just make up a name. It may change for the actual tournament though.
    Name of film:
    Name of director:
    Year of release:
    Link/Time Stamp:
    Spoiler: If the scene contains major spoilers, say so i.e. film endings, twists.
    What number of nomination it is for you:

Reference:

On the first page, below this first post, I will create a post for each of the following:

List of nominations - This will be a master list featuring all scenes which have been nominated, and who nominated them. Nominations which are null and void due to caps being reached will be struck.

List of films which have been seconded - A list of all nominated scenes which have been seconded. Check this list if you would like to finalise a scene's entry into the tournament. The name of the member which seconded a scene will be attached to it. At the bottom of this list, there will be a second list for films/franchises which have reached their cap.

List of all finalised entries - Scenes which have been thirded will be listed here, tagged with the members who seconded them.

Log of nominations/seconds - Once you participate, your name will be added to the list and it will say how many nominations/seconds you have remaining for a quick reference.

I may also make a spreadsheet on Google Documents with the same information, I haven't decided if it's worth the effort yet.

Final Notes

There really isn't much to say. Just be aware, of what's been nominated, how many nominations and seconds you have remaining. I hope the guidelines have been clearly defined. The only thing which we may have to debate along the way is what is and is not a scene. For example, the lightsaber fight between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Darth Maul is intercut with Anakin's stuff, the assault on the palace, and the droid/Gungan battle, and I do not want to be the one say the entire fight can't be one scene, or if you have to pick one part of it to be the scene, since it's all cut up. Many action films (I'm looking at you Christopher Nolan) are cut together where it bounces back and forth between sequences.

I may have used the word 'film' instead of scene in this post, sorry for any confusion. It was habit.

Nominations will officially begin Monday, March 13th, at 3pm EST (8pm GMT, 12pm PST...you other time zones will have to figure it out yourselves).

Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

List of Nominated Scenes

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

List of Seconded Scenes

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

List of Finalised Entries

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Log of Nominations and Seconds

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, so I guess I'm first up....

Nomination # 1

Scene: Opening Barracks Scene - Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
    Film: Full Metal Jacket
    Director: Stanley Kubrick
    Year : 1987
    Spoiler: None

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Okay, so I guess I'm first up....

Nomination # 1

Scene: Opening Barracks Scene - Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
    Film: Full Metal Jacket
    Director: Stanley Kubrick
    Year : 1987

#1 second

sk

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nomination #2

Lobby Scene from the Matrix - Wachowski Brothers - 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuslUzbJEaw
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Nomination #2

Nice nomination Kris, a very good choice! However, this is not your second nomination, it's only your first....

You need to keep track of your own nominations, not everyone else's. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    When you nominate or second also include the number of which it is i.e. nomination #6 or second #11. Also put the nomination/second in bold, preferably at font size 3 or 4 (just the scene name) so it stands out from discussion so people can count the posts. Keep track of your counts yourselves because if you've reached 15 nominations and you nominate a 16th, it will be redacted. If you nominate a scene which has already been nominated, or second a film which has already been officially entered, it will not count. But please, check the lists before hand and scan the last page or so of posts. I will not be able to update this constantly, but it will be daily for sure though I'll be trying to do so twice a day.
    Kris, if you remove the 's' in 'https', your nominated video will embed itself properly in the thread.

Just trying to help, brother!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nomination #2

Nice nomination Kris, a very good choice! However, this is not your second nomination, it's only your first....

You need to keep track of your own nominations, not everyone else's. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Kris, if you remove the 's' in 'https', your nominated video will embed itself properly in the thread.

Just trying to help, brother!
    Oh I did not know that! Thanks Tim, I will do that for my next one (after 3pm). I have SOOOOOOOOOOOO many I want to nominate! lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    No love for the godfather III scene... My heart is heavy... Being a dad of three girls that scene gets me every time
    I can't help get a Godfather 3 scene into the tournament before a scene from Godfather 1 or 2.

Nomination #2

I second the Matrix Lobby scene.

Which scenes are a officially in at the moment? If any. I'm sure we will get the flow down, but I still think it's easier if everybody submitted a list of their favorite scenes. If a scene is on 3 lists, it's in. Then we start the nomination process.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    No love for the godfather III scene... My heart is heavy... Being a dad of three girls that scene gets me every time
    I can't help get a Godfather 3 scene into the tournament before a scene from Godfather 1 or 2.

Nomination #2

Which scenes are a officially in at the moment? If any. I'm sure we will get the flow down, but I still think it's easier if everybody submitted a list of their favorite scenes. If a scene is on 3 lists, it's in. Then we start the nomination process.
    As far as I can see, nothing has been thirded yet (not legitimately anyway). There is a lot of unnecessary confusion surrounding nominating/seconding/thirding in this thread due to there being far too many rules and restrictions.

I think we should scrap having to 'third' a movie scene before it is officially entered into the tournament. If the movie scene has been seconded, then it's in!

I also propose that we abolish the rule concerning how many seconds people can make. I firmly believe that most participants here, are hesitant about seconding because of the limit imposed on their ability to do so. That is not productive to this tournament, which is why it should be removed.

Country
    Country Flag

Nomination #2

As far as I can see, nothing has been thirded yet (not legitimately anyway). There is a lot of unnecessary confusion surrounding nominating/seconding/thirding in this thread due to there being far too many rules and restrictions.

I think we should scrap having to 'third' a movie scene before it is officially entered into the tournament. If the movie scene has been seconded, then it's in!

I also propose that we abolish the rule concerning how many seconds people can make. I firmly believe that most participants here, are hesitant about seconding because of the limit imposed on their ability to do so. That is not productive to this tournament, which is why it should be removed.
    Seconded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Nomination #2

This is getting rediculous!. I have thirded an entry (Dark Knight scene). I see no rules for when you can third a nomination. Unless you are lumping thirds with the rules for seconds, and that is very unclear to me. If thirds are lumped in with seconds, then limiting to just 20 is not enough, it should probably be more then double the limit on nominations, because you need two per nominations. Also, it is so F'ing anoying to go back and count how many nominations/2nds have occured since you last nomination/2nd. Then you have to take into account whether those were "legal" nominations or not. And then you would have to recursively check the posts whether the posts to determine if a post was legal was legal itself. What about 2nds of nominations that weren't legal.

Its getting to be a nightmare. Why don't we just do something simple like a wait period of 2 hours between nominations, and 2 hours between 2nds/3rds, with say a 5 per day max. Then you don't have to worry about what other people have posted before us.

From this point on, I will not 2nd or 3rd a nomination until it shows up in posts #2 and #3 of this thread. I'm also going to wait 8 hours or more between nominations.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

+1

sk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think you guys are a tad early. Instruction say to begin today at 3 PM ET.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I think you guys are a tad early. Instruction say to begin today at 3 PM ET.
    Yeah I just saw that and I have to say in my own defence, I don't remember it being there when I read through the instructions before posting my first nomination.

But why create a thread if it's not going to go live for almost 11 hours? It will just get buried behind all the other threads posted upon throughout the day, when members click on the 'What's New' tab.

Notwithstanding the fact that the nomination process for this tournament is already two days late, why did Mattrick not wait until 3pm EST to create and post this thread if he wanted things to begin then? It just doesn't make sense....

And more to the point, does it really matter in the grand scheme of things that nominating has already started due to this confusion? The main rules remain extant - we are still only allowed to post a maximum of 15 nominations, 20 seconds and have to wait until 5 other people have nominated before posting again.... Nothing in that regard will be affected by starting now.

I don't mind waiting for a further 8 hours, but I think it largely unnecessary to do so.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Country
    Country Flag

It's gone 3pm EST. The first two nominations made by myself and Kris can now be officially counted.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Scene Name: USS Indianapolis speech
    Name of film: Jaws
    Name of director: Stephen Spielberg
    Year of release: 1975
    What number of nomination it is for you: 1
    Link:

Note, I decided to include the the "scar contest" as part of the scene, if you think it is better with just the USS Indianapolis speech, then here is a link to the shorter version of this scene, feel free to second which ever you think is best.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Scene Name: USS Indianapolis speech
    Name of film: Jaws
    Name of director: Stephen Spielberg
    Year of release: 1975
    What number of nomination it is for you: 1
    Link:

Note, I decided to include the the "scar contest" as part of the scene, if you think it is better with just the USS Indianapolis speech, then here is a link to the shorter version of this scene, feel free to second which ever you think is best.

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 60 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast