Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Going...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Slow Going...

Unlike most of you here, I'm a Stephen King fan first, and a Dark Tower fan second. Not much of a fan really, to me the Dark Tower novels are simply other King books. I also only recently started reading them, and I'm now about a quarter or a third into Wizard & Glass. Now forgive my insolence, but I'm finding this very lengthy flashback quite slow going, and very jarring in light of the preceding action. I loved The Drawing of the Three; being a slow reader that was probably the fastest I ever finished a book of that size - in under a week. I know it will get better, King's books always do, but it just feels very different at this point.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    1. Not much of a fan really, to me the Dark Tower novels are simply other King books.
    2. I'm finding this very lengthy flashback quite slow going, and very jarring in light of the preceding action.
    1. Uhhh... incredible. Do you say it didn't move under your skin and into your mind? Do you say you can't feel Roland's eyes on you wherever you go? Do you say doors are just doors to you?
    Incredible.
    2. Oh, you are not alone with it at all. Many people feel and felt the same way. Not me, I loved it as it was and I would be happy if it had been much longer but don't worry - lots of folks felt it very slow.

Let me know what you think of it when you have finished it. I am interested in it a lot.

Roland would have understood.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

to me the Dark Tower novels are simply other King books..
    Thems is fightin' words son!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think W&G begins to have much more significance as the story unfolds, it really is like the "origin" story for the book series.

I will admit I was itching to get back to Roland during it but now its tied with DOTT as my favorite.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

... but I'm finding this very lengthy flashback quite slow going, and very jarring in light of the preceding action. I loved The Drawing of the Three; being a slow reader that was probably the fastest I ever finished a book of that size - in under a week. I know it will get better, King's books always do, but it just feels very different at this point.
    just keep going. soon enough you will be involved enough in that story that you won't want the "flashback" to end.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

pablo, I'm glad you're giving the books a go. W&G can have some slower parts but I think that is the way it is meant to be. This is the behind the scenes of Roland of Gilead. I would suggest that you read every word and take your time. A lot of his story plays into the characters in the last three books.

Keep us updated.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Unlike most of you here, I'm a Stephen King fan first, and a Dark Tower fan second. Not much of a fan really, to me the Dark Tower novels are simply other King books. I also only recently started reading them, and I'm now about a quarter or a third into Wizard & Glass. Now forgive my insolence, but I'm finding this very lengthy flashback quite slow going, and very jarring in light of the preceding action. I loved The Drawing of the Three; being a slow reader that was probably the fastest I ever finished a book of that size - in under a week. I know it will get better, King's books always do, but it just feels very different at this point.
    Just stick with it, you won't regret it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    to me the Dark Tower novels are simply other King books..
    Thems is fightin' words son!

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, please don't misunderstand. I just know that there are Stephen King fans that do not like the Dark Tower novels and then there are Dark Tower fans that don't read anything else by Stephen King. I'm neither.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't worry about him Pablo--he's antisocial

I think you are probably right, I happen to like most of what King does but really focus on the Dark Tower because I feel like the message encompasses most of his work.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Yeah, don't worry about me, I was just kidding with you. Also, I'm not anti-social, just psychotic.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I was trying to be nice.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

...and then there are Dark Tower fans that don't read anything else by Stephen King.
    I find this hard to believe.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't even mind the slowness per se. One of my favorite novels of King's is Insomnia. This just feels like a different novel all of a sudden. But I like the writing, the language.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    ...and then there are Dark Tower fans that don't read anything else by Stephen King.
    I find this hard to believe.

It's true, unfortunately.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

People that you know personally, or is it just an assumption? I ask because I've never heard of this up until now.

Country
    Country Flag

Not personally but some that I've encountered on various forums.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that is sad.

[weep]

See? Redirect them over here so that we can give em' a BRUTAL, VIOLENT, SAVAGE--!!

--talking to.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with feev...I've never heard of only a DT fan. That is a little sad. Besides, there are so many books that have a little bit of DT in them! I was a King fan first but now I'm a bigger DT fan.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

When I first read WaG it instantly became my favourite DT book...because i was literally dying for some of Roland's backstory and it gave above and beyond what i was expecting.

It has paled on rereads, probably because its a "one night stand" kinda book, ie it loses some of its intial magic in the retelling. But i still love it and never find it boring

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I think W&G begins to have much more significance as the story unfolds, it really is like the "origin" story for the book series.

I will admit I was itching to get back to Roland during it but now its tied with DOTT as my favorite.

I was too, but there came a point in the story when I oddly longed for it.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm finding this very lengthy flashback quite slow going
    Quite.

and very jarring in light of the preceding action.
    Very.

It is going to be a little better at times, but not very often. A lot better towards the end, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts
    When I first read WaG it instantly became my favourite DT book...because i was literally dying for some of Roland's backstory and it gave above and beyond what i was expecting.
    This is something I can't really get. Roland's backstory was brilliantly given in those flashbacks in other volumes (and even at the end of this one, I mean what Walter showed in the glass), but when it became a separate volume, it somehow lost all its vigor and importance, - strictly personal opinion, of course, - became lifeless and forced. All those flashbacks were concentrated on the most important, really revealing moments, and the way they were written made them stick in one's mind forever. They, those crucial moments, told worlds about Roland, while the weak soup of W&G served for me only to (temporarily, thank God) dilute whatever empathy I had developed for him.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    while the weak soup of W&G served for me only to (temporarily, thank God) dilute whatever empathy I had developed for him.
    I'm getting the strong feeling that Wizard and Glass is your least favorite of the series, Jean. Stab in the dark here...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, it's The Gunslinger

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

(heart attack)

Country
    Country Flag

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Not personally but some that I've encountered on various forums.
    I can believe this. There's little of the horror in his usual works, so many people who would not normally read him will devour TDT series.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    I agree with feev...I've never heard of only a DT fan. That is a little sad. Besides, there are so many books that have a little bit of DT in them! I was a King fan first but now I'm a bigger DT fan.
    I, too, was a King fan first - last and always, too. The Stand is my favorite of his individual novels (complete and uncut, say thankya). The Dark Tower... well, sigh, TDT is one of my all-time favorite book series.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I'm finding this very lengthy flashback quite slow going
    Quite.

and very jarring in light of the preceding action.
    Very.

It is going to be a little better at times, but not very often. A lot better towards the end, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts
    This is something I can't really get. Roland's backstory was brilliantly given in those flashbacks in other volumes (and even at the end of this one, I mean what Walter showed in the glass), but when it became a separate volume, it somehow lost all its vigor and importance, - strictly personal opinion, of course, - became lifeless and forced. All those flashbacks were concentrated on the most important, really revealing moments, and the way they were written made them stick in one's mind forever. They, those crucial moments, told worlds about Roland, while the weak soup of W&G served for me only to (temporarily, thank God) dilute whatever empathy I had developed for him.
    You say true.
    Last edited by Woofer; 02-11-2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Added MonteGss quote and fandom info
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast