Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Castle Rock: Hulu's Stephen King Universe series

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So here's Jackie Torrance in a nutshell:

She named herself after her uncle Jack because her family didn't want to talk about him. Jack tried to kill his family with an axe. She talks about going to the Overlook to write her book.

According to what King actually wrote in The Shining and later Doctor Sleep:

1. Jack never used an axe. He used a mallet.
    2. The Overlook Hotel blew up. It is never rebuilt.
    3. The official story that Wendy used was that Jack heroically died trying to prevent the boiler from malfunctioning.

So in other words everything Jackie does is a direct contradiction of King's story.

I get that this is basically nerd nitpicking but given that the show makes such a big deal about taking place in Stephen King's universe for them to basically jettison what he wrote and use Kubrick's version in its continuity really frustrated me and prevented me from viewing it as being part of King's canon. (And yeah I know they can just handwave it as "Different levels of the Dark Tower" or something.)
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That irked me as well.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://comicbook.com/horror/2019/01...-stephen-king/
    One of the more ambitious Stephen King projects to debut last year was Castle Rock, which took place in the fictional Maine town created by the author. The success of the series resulted in the confirmation of Season Two, which will reportedly head into production in March.

Production Weekly reports on the series' production, which will return to Central Massachusetts to film the new episodes for Hulu.

A psychological-horror series set in the Stephen King multiverse, Castle Rock combines the mythological scale and intimate character storytelling of King’s best-loved works, weaving an epic saga of darkness and light, played out on a few square miles of Maine woodland. The fictional Maine town of Castle Rockhas figured prominently in King’s literary career: Cujo, The Dark Half, IT, and Needful Things, as well as novella "The Body" and numerous short stories such as "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" are either set there or contain references to Castle Rock. Castle Rock is an original suspense/thriller — a first-of-its-kind reimagining that explores the themes and worlds uniting the entire King canon,while brushing up against some of his most iconic and beloved stories.

The freedom of setting the series in the King locale without actually adapting one storyline means each season can be its own self-contained mystery, as co-creator Dustin Thomason previously detailed.

"Each season is going to be its own self-contained story: beginning, middle, and end," Thomason previously shared with The Hollywood Reporter. "But I think that just as the books do, we want to surprise viewers with the ways in which the stories intersect. Just as the places the characters pop up in very unexpected ways throughout the books, that's the kind of anthology that we would like to tell."

He continued, "One of the things about the King universe or multiverse is that some very strange things can happen when it comes to the ways that the stories unfold, and hopefully there'll be surprises along the way in terms of how the anthology works in that way. It's pretty delicious that Kathy Bates played both Dolores Claiborne and Annie Wilkes when you really think about that question in the movie adaptations. But I think that there's something for us about being faithful to the way that Steve does it in the books, that almost feels like the anthology format has already been laid out for us."

The credits of Season One's finale included a tease about The Shining, one of King's most iconic works, though it's unclear if this new season will have any connection to that story.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I just signed up for a free month of Hulu.

I watched the first Castle Rock episode. It was pretty good. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Wasn't Mr. Mercedes on Hulu? It didn't show up in my search.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's on the Audience network. You can watch it with a free trial of DirecTV Now.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    That's on the Audience network. You can watch it with a free trial of DirecTV Now.
    Yes, MM is an AT&T production and was very good IMHO. If you can, watch it!!!!

Now, Castle Rock. I had very high expectations for this and looked forward to its release. I had my daughter order Hulu so I could watch it (we trade passwords) and well, I wasn't impressed. I mean it wasn't bad, but then again it wasn't good either. Maybe ny expectations were too high IDK, but I expected more. I also thought that they would delve more into Mid-World (I'm sure some will say they did) but I didn't make that jump from the plot. I also expected a little more cross reference/easter eggs in the episodes. What references they gave were a bit more hidden then I would have expected and did not really intertwine with the plot IMHO. As of now I told my daughter to discontinue Hulu, but I may give it another try. We'll see.

I guess bottom line I just expected more from this series. Of course that's just MHO.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Mae and Bill.

I'm not sure I want to sign up for another streaming service.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Now, Castle Rock. I had very high expectations for this and looked forward to its release. I had my daughter order Hulu so I could watch it (we trade passwords) and well, I wasn't impressed. I mean it wasn't bad, but then again it wasn't good either. Maybe ny expectations were too high IDK, but I expected more. I also thought that they would delve more into Mid-World (I'm sure some will say they did) but I didn't make that jump from the plot. I also expected a little more cross reference/easter eggs in the episodes. What references they gave were a bit more hidden then I would have expected and did not really intertwine with the plot IMHO. As of now I told my daughter to discontinue Hulu, but I may give it another try. We'll see.

I guess bottom line I just expected more from this series. Of course that's just MHO.
    Yeah I kept on waiting for some big reveal that never happened. Like someone turns out to be an incarnation of R.F. for example.

It didn't even *feel* like a Stephen King story the way a show like Fargo feels like a Coen Bros. movie each season.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Yeah I kept on waiting for some big reveal that never happened. Like someone turns out to be an incarnation of R.F. for example.

It didn't even *feel* like a Stephen King story the way a show like Fargo feels like a Coen Bros. movie each season.
    Yeah,I hear that, my friend!!! And I had such high hopes. I'll probably give it one more season and then cut bait if it doesn't raise the bar.

Sissy Spacek & Scott Glen are actors I like and they didn't disappoint too much, but I feel like they just wasted their talents in this show. Shame really.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah the Sissy Spacek episode was the best IMO. The only moments where I really felt like 'geeking out' as a King fan were seeing her and Bill Skarsgard. Felt like a mini-crossover when she had her scenes together with him, like seeing Pennywise and Carrie face off.

Speaking of Skarsgard, this really sold him as a great actor to me. I actually thought he was scarier here than he was in 'It'.

My Collection

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

According to sources close to Revenge of The Fans, Castle Rock will feature a special appearance by none other than the star of Shawshank Redemption, Tim Robbins.

As of now, the details and scope of his role are undisclosed, but simply knowing they’ve secured his services for Season 2 of Castle Rock should be enough to make fans of Castle Rock, of Shawshank Redemption, and of Stephen King quite happy.

>>> Source

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome, didn't love the last half of the series but did enjoy the series. The first half was great.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

‘Castle Rock’: Lizzy Caplan, Tim Robbins, Garrett Hedlund & Elsie Fisher Among 7 Cast In Season 2 Of Hulu Series

Masters of Sex alumna Lizzy Caplan, Tim Robbins (Here and Now), Garrett Hedlund (Mosaic) and Eighth Grade star Elsie Fisher are set to lead the Season 2 cast of Hulu’s psychological horror series Castle Rock, from J.J. Abrams and Stephen King. Also set as series regulars are Yusra Warsama (Assassin’s Creed: Origins), Barkhad Abdi (Blade Runner 2049) and Matthew Alan (13 Reasons Why).

In Season 2, a feud between warring clans comes to a boil when budding psychopath Annie Wilkes (Caplan), Stephen King’s nurse from hell, gets waylaid in Castle Rock.

Caplan’s Annie Wilkes is a nurse and superfan battling to overcome mental health issues.

Robbins is Reginald “Pop” Merrill. The Patriarch of Stephen King’s iconic crime family, Pop is dying of cancer and at a reckoning with his family.

Hedlund plays John “Ace” Merril. Castle Rock’s legendary bully, Ace is taking over his uncle Pop’s businesses and threatening a fragile peace with nearby Jerusalem’s Lot.

Fisher is Joy. Annie’s home-schooled teenage daughter, Joy is starting to have questions about her mother’s sanity.

Warsam is Dr. Nadia Omar. The Harvard-trained Somali medical director of a rural hospital in Jerusalem’s Lot, Dr. Omar’s rational and scientific mind will be put to the test.

Abdi will portray Abdi Omar. The tough, older brother of Nadia, Abdi leads the charge to build a Somali community center that will deepen the roots of his people in Maine.

Alan plays Chris Merrill. Pop’s nephew and Ace’s brother, Chris struggles to keep peace between the Merrills and the Somali community.

Sam Shaw & Dustin Thomason developed the project for television and serve as executive producers along with J.J. Abrams, Ben Stephenson, Dustin Thomason, Vince Calandra, Sam Shaw, Stephen King and Liz Glotzer. Castle Rock hails from Bad Robot Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Caplan starred as human sexuality research pioneer Virginia Johnson in Masters Of Sex, which ran on Showtime for four seasons. The role earned her an Emmy nomination. She’ll soon be seen opposite Octavia Spencer in Apple’s upcoming drama series Are You Sleeping? She is repped by WME, Rise Management and Jackoway Austen Tyerman.

Robbins is coming off a starring role in HBO’s Alan Ball series Here and Now. He’s next set to star on the big screen alongside Anne Hathaway and Mark Ruffalo in Todd Haynes’ untitled drama about the DuPont pollution scandal.

Alan is best known for his recurring role on Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why. He can next be seen on HBO’s upcoming Lovecraft Country and recurring on Season 3 of FX’s Snowfall. Alan is repped by AKA Talent and Main Title.

Hedlund is coming out in Triple Frontier and Dirt Music. He is repped by Brillstein, WME and Sloane Offer.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Season 2 already sounds a lot more interesting.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

It sounds interesting but I take it at this point that they've pretty much abandoned the whole "this is in continuity with King's novels" thing by having Annie Wilkes and Ace Merrill around? Unless this is a period piece?

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

It sounds interesting but I take it at this point that they've pretty much abandoned the whole "this is in continuity with King's novels" thing by having Annie Wilkes and Ace Merrill around? Unless this is a period piece?
    That's what I actually find interesting about it. We've all read the books and seen the movies. I'm up for a different take on things. Otherwise, it's just re-fried.

Season 1 was a real struggle for me and I have yet to finish it.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Was able to watch all episodes this past week and, for the most part, found it to be an intriguing and compelling series. The acting was top notch, the cinematography was superb and the mood was reminiscent of the oppresive atmosphere SK weaved throughout 'Salem's Lot. Based upon what I saw I would relish a 4-5 episode J.J. Abrams treatment of 'SL.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Castle Rock. I enjoyed it overall, but I think I was expecting something a little more plot-centric. I enjoyed the characters and thought they were developed well, but it seemed like not enough happened overall. I liked what they did with Alan Pangborn (
    Spoiler:
    was sad to see him go, but they could still do a season in the past and have him appear
    ), Shawshank, and the overall King-y tone to the show. Wasn't a fan of some of the minor characters that, while I loved, didn't seem to go anywhere. Also wish there was more of a concrete answer to the "is he or isn't he?" in the final episode. I'm all for open-ended questions and half-answers, but I felt like this one needed an answer (and wouldn't have taken away anything from the show).

Overall, good, fun show. Thought the episode count was just right but the storytelling didn't really seem to have a sense or urgency. I'll be checking out Season 2, though.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some Castle Rock info on season 2

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/ca...ls-1202130563/

Deadwood alum Robin Weigert, Sarah Gadon (Alias Grace, True Detective), Alison Wright (The Americans) and Greg Grunberg (Heroes, Alias) are set as guest stars for the second season of Hulu’s Castle Rock

In Season 2 of Castle Rock, a feud between warring clans comes to a boil when budding psychopath Annie Wilkes (Lizzy Caplan), Stephen King’s nurse from hell, gets waylaid in Castle Rock. Season 2 cast also include Paul Sparks, Yusra Warsama, Barkhad Abdi, Elsie Fisher and Matthew Alan.

Weigert will play Crysilda Wilkes, Annie’s mother. Gadon is Rita Green, a vengeful woman from Annie’s past. Wright will portray Valerie, a kind-hearted local who explores the town’s evil history. Grunberg is Sheriff Boucher, a local official, who faces off against a brewing, dark force in Castle Rock.

Sam Shaw & Dustin Thomason developed the project for television and serve as executive producers along with J.J. Abrams, Ben Stephenson, Dustin Thomason, Vince Calandra, Sam Shaw, Stephen King and Liz Glotzer. Castle Rock hails from Bad Robot Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Weigert played the role of Calamity Jane in Deadwood the series and reprised her role in Deadwood: The Movie. She can currently be seen in the role of Dr. Amanda Reisman on HBO’s Big Little Lies.

Gadon most recently played Elisa Montgomery in HBO’s True Detective and will next be seen with Eli Harboe in feature The Northwoods from writer-director Emma Higgins.

Wright, known for her role as FBI secretary Martha Hanson on FX’s The Americans, recently recurred on Sneaky Pete. She’ll next be seen as a series regular on dystopian thriller series Snowpiercer on TNT.

Grunberg is best known for his roles as Matt Parkman in NBC’s Heroes and Snap Wexley in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. He’ll next be seen reprising his Snap Wexley role in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

Country
    Country Flag

This season sounds so much better than the first.

Traveler B1x will become famous soon enough B1x will become famous soon enough B1x's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

This article was a fun read. I remember reading another one released just before this where the writers were being coy about not knowing what a thinny was
    Spoiler:
    despite having a thinny be central to the plot.
    I'm hopeful the second season will have a reference to the tower somewhere.

She named herself after her uncle Jack because her family didn't want to talk about him. Jack tried to kill his family with an axe. She talks about going to the Overlook to write her book.

3. The official story that Wendy used was that Jack heroically died trying to prevent the boiler from malfunctioning.

So in other words everything Jackie does is a direct contradiction of King's story.

I get that this is basically nerd nitpicking but given that the show makes such a big deal about taking place in Stephen King's universe for them to basically jettison what he wrote and use Kubrick's version in its continuity really frustrated me and prevented me from viewing it as being part of King's canon. (And yeah I know they can just handwave it as "Different levels of the Dark Tower" or something.)
    I am interested in seeing how the Doctor Sleep film justifies the discontinuity between the book and the film, since it promises to do this. The director of the film, Mike Flanagan, also directed Gerald's Game for netflix. He added a Dark Tower reference to the story that's just in the film by having
    Spoiler:
    Gerald tell Jessie as she laments dying alone chained to the bed, "Everything dies. All things serve the beam."
    Gave me chills.

Anyway, I figure it's like Jake said, "there are other worlds than these." Any discontinuity can be easily explained this way within any of the stories, someone just has to write it.
    Last edited by B1x; 06-27-2019 at 08:16 PM. Reason: figuring out spoiler tags

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by B1x View Post
    This article was a fun read. I remember reading another one released just before this where the writers were being coy about not knowing what a thinny was
    Spoiler:
    despite having a thinny be central to the plot.
    I'm hopeful the second season will have a reference to the tower somewhere.

I am interested in seeing how the Doctor Sleep film justifies the discontinuity between the book and the film, since it promises to do this. The director of the film, Mike Flanagan, also directed Gerald's Game for netflix. He added a Dark Tower reference to the story that's just in the film by having
    Spoiler:
    Gerald tell Jessie as she laments dying alone chained to the bed, "Everything dies. All things serve the beam."
    Gave me chills.

Anyway, I figure it's like Jake said, "there are other worlds than these." Any discontinuity can be easily explained this way within any of the stories, someone just has to write it.

You'll want to check out the news contained in this thread.........................

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...e-set-for-2019

for the answer to your query. They, I suppose for the same reasons as "Castle Rock", are utilizing the "Canon" established Kubrick's film because of its more wide spread popularity and so forth. Not that I necessarily agree with them, but I can see their point. Also, they are apparently utilizing recreated/retouched scenes from the movie in "Dr. Sleep". There are some pretty interesting recent articles referred to later in the above thread. Enjoy!!! Oh, and welcome to the forum!!!

Castle Rock will premiere its next chapter Wednesday, October 23 — just in time for Halloween. Clocking in at 10 episodes, Season 2 features another great cast with Lizzy Caplan, Tim Robbins, Paul Sparks, Yusra Warsama, Barkhad Abdi, Elsie Fisher and Matthew Alan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast