Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Castle Rock: Hulu's Stephen King Universe series

The Hound CyberGhostface has a spectacular aura about CyberGhostface has a spectacular aura about CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So here's Jackie Torrance in a nutshell:

She named herself after her uncle Jack because her family didn't want to talk about him. Jack tried to kill his family with an axe. She talks about going to the Overlook to write her book.

According to what King actually wrote in The Shining and later Doctor Sleep:

1. Jack never used an axe. He used a mallet.
    2. The Overlook Hotel blew up. It is never rebuilt.
    3. The official story that Wendy used was that Jack heroically died trying to prevent the boiler from malfunctioning.

So in other words everything Jackie does is a direct contradiction of King's story.

I get that this is basically nerd nitpicking but given that the show makes such a big deal about taking place in Stephen King's universe for them to basically jettison what he wrote and use Kubrick's version in its continuity really frustrated me and prevented me from viewing it as being part of King's canon. (And yeah I know they can just handwave it as "Different levels of the Dark Tower" or something.)

A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Honky Mahfah Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That irked me as well.
    "Any area of collecting only becomes really worth it when shared with like minded people"-Alec aka Anonymous

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://comicbook.com/horror/2019/01...-stephen-king/
    One of the more ambitious Stephen King projects to debut last year was Castle Rock, which took place in the fictional Maine town created by the author. The success of the series resulted in the confirmation of Season Two, which will reportedly head into production in March.

Production Weekly reports on the series' production, which will return to Central Massachusetts to film the new episodes for Hulu.

A psychological-horror series set in the Stephen King multiverse, Castle Rock combines the mythological scale and intimate character storytelling of King’s best-loved works, weaving an epic saga of darkness and light, played out on a few square miles of Maine woodland. The fictional Maine town of Castle Rockhas figured prominently in King’s literary career: Cujo, The Dark Half, IT, and Needful Things, as well as novella "The Body" and numerous short stories such as "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" are either set there or contain references to Castle Rock. Castle Rock is an original suspense/thriller — a first-of-its-kind reimagining that explores the themes and worlds uniting the entire King canon,while brushing up against some of his most iconic and beloved stories.

The freedom of setting the series in the King locale without actually adapting one storyline means each season can be its own self-contained mystery, as co-creator Dustin Thomason previously detailed.

"Each season is going to be its own self-contained story: beginning, middle, and end," Thomason previously shared with The Hollywood Reporter. "But I think that just as the books do, we want to surprise viewers with the ways in which the stories intersect. Just as the places the characters pop up in very unexpected ways throughout the books, that's the kind of anthology that we would like to tell."

He continued, "One of the things about the King universe or multiverse is that some very strange things can happen when it comes to the ways that the stories unfold, and hopefully there'll be surprises along the way in terms of how the anthology works in that way. It's pretty delicious that Kathy Bates played both Dolores Claiborne and Annie Wilkes when you really think about that question in the movie adaptations. But I think that there's something for us about being faithful to the way that Steve does it in the books, that almost feels like the anthology format has already been laid out for us."

The credits of Season One's finale included a tease about The Shining, one of King's most iconic works, though it's unclear if this new season will have any connection to that story.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an has a brilliant future Br!an's Avatar

I just signed up for a free month of Hulu.

I watched the first Castle Rock episode. It was pretty good. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Wasn't Mr. Mercedes on Hulu? It didn't show up in my search.
    “You form a line to formalize the formal lies."

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's on the Audience network. You can watch it with a free trial of DirecTV Now.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    That's on the Audience network. You can watch it with a free trial of DirecTV Now.
    Yes, MM is an AT&T production and was very good IMHO. If you can, watch it!!!!

Now, Castle Rock. I had very high expectations for this and looked forward to its release. I had my daughter order Hulu so I could watch it (we trade passwords) and well, I wasn't impressed. I mean it wasn't bad, but then again it wasn't good either. Maybe ny expectations were too high IDK, but I expected more. I also thought that they would delve more into Mid-World (I'm sure some will say they did) but I didn't make that jump from the plot. I also expected a little more cross reference/easter eggs in the episodes. What references they gave were a bit more hidden then I would have expected and did not really intertwine with the plot IMHO. As of now I told my daughter to discontinue Hulu, but I may give it another try. We'll see.

I guess bottom line I just expected more from this series. Of course that's just MHO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9