Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 644 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast

Thread: Suntup Editions

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

So I thought I would share this story with you.

In the early days of Art Portfolio project, we were missing a lot of original illustrations. David suspected that they were lost or destroyed over the years as he had not seen them in a long time.

When I would go over there to visit or meet about the portfolio, I couldn't help but notice that there was a large stack of paintings and framed artwork on the floor leaning up against the wall. Every now and then, I would ask David if perhaps the other originals were buried in there somewhere. He would usually respond by saying he doubted it, then we would move onto other topics.

Sometimes I would offer to go through them for him, so we would walk over to the stack of paintings, and when we saw how many there were and the effort it would take to wade through them, it just seemed too arduous so we would sit back down and continue our discussion.

Then one day, I was over there and David was in another room looking for something I needed for the launch video. I was sitting at the dining room table and the paintings were on my right. Without putting much thought into it, I stood up and walked over to the stack. I started to flip through them, moving one painting at a time against my right leg so that I could get a look at what was under each one.

I kept going until I was close to the back, with the last few leaning against the wall. My legs were aching, my back was starting to protest because of the odd way I had to position myself in order to work my way through the artwork.

Then just as I was almost at the end, I came across a heavy cardstock sheet covered with grey paper. I recognized that paper from one of the originals I had seen before and I knew this was it. I grabbed the sheet, lifted up the paper covering, and there in front of me was an original illustration from the book.

It was about this time that David came back into the room and saw what I was up to. "You won't believe what I just found", I said. He was amazed. And I kept going. Right behind that one was another one! And behind that was yet another.

That day I discovered eleven original illustrations. It all felt very dream-like. The highlight of this discovery was that one of the most iconic illustrations from the book, the title page illustration, was among them.

It is a good thing these were discovered, because who can tell where they might have ultimately ended up. They will now be well cared for.

Enjoy!

Spoiler:
    All the illustrations have a translucent sheet covering them where the art department had written certain technical requirements with regard to the reproduction of the artwork.

Larger images can be seen here, and also include shots of the translucent sheets.

The illustrations have held up well considering they are more than 30 years old and have traveled to several countries over the past three decades. The translucent sheets show the most wear, but the artwork is still in excellent condition.

Pencil and ink on Bienfang velour paper. Landscape illustrations measure 24" x 18". Portrait illustrations paper measures 12 1/2" x 19" with the artwork at 11" x 17".

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing Paul! That's quite the story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Outstanding!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Those are really cool!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool! Good job in finding them!
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool, Paul. I always loved the illustration of the spider being crushed. Awesome to see the original.
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Paul, does this mean the illustrations in the portfolio are directly reproduced from these originals?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow. That's so cool!

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Paul, does this mean the illustrations in the portfolio are directly reproduced from these originals?
    Simon, yes that is correct. There are several stages these illustrations will go through when reproducing them. We create an archive scan of the image using a high-end drum scanner at a very high resolution. This produces a massive file and if you zoomed in, you could see down to the fibers of the paper.

Then the artwork is digitally restored by a professional art restorer. This involves cleaning up smudges, spots, dirt or any imperfections. It is zoomed in on a large display, and the entire surface of the image is inspected and restored where necessary. We also make certain adjustments to the midtones to get the best possible balance between the whites and shades of grey in the black & white illustrations. It's all very interesting, and I have some clips of these stages which I may put into a video.

All that, together with the larger print size and the new technologies at our disposal, will result in a reproduction that will be the best we have seen of this artwork.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish I was better with words. Fucking amazing!

Although each of your projects are expensive, it's easy to see why they are well worth every penny. You have elevated SK books and art to a new, unparalleled level.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Jerome. Appreciate the compliments.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That is an incredible story, Paul. Congratulations. (Or in the immortal words of our fearless leader... "Fucking Amazing!)

The commitment of the members on the site to the appreciation and collecting of King (and books and art generally) is nothing short of phenomenal.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Great story.

I can only imagine how awesome it must have felt when you found that "buried treasure".

Rick
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Citizen of Gilead burial will become famous soon enough burial will become famous soon enough burial's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

awesome story!
    this portfolio looks amazing
    Looking for:
    S/L: "Insomnia" (#117), "Firestarter", "EOTD #98"
    US 1st/1st: "Night Shift"
    Portfolios: "'Salem's Lot", "Cycle of Werewolf" (#192)
    please help me find any #731 or #431

My full Wanted List

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Great story.

I can only imagine how awesome it must have felt when you found that "buried treasure".

Rick
    Yeah that is what I was thinking to Rick! The rush!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I wish I was better with words. Fucking amazing!

Although each of your projects are expensive, it's easy to see why they are well worth every penny. You have elevated SK books and art to a new, unparalleled level.
    Yeah i think we should just start calling it the "FA Press". Seriously though, these editions are just on another level..in another building.. In another stratosphere. Cant wait

Load up the Spaceship with the Rocket Fuel

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Great story.

Rick
    It was quite a day. I had a feeling they were in there for months. And that day, something made me just get up and look while David wasn't watching! He was really happy that I did.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

What impressed me the most was that fabulous green ceramic elephant.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    What impressed me the most was that fabulous green ceramic elephant.
    I don't think it's ceramic. At first I thought jade, but jade doesn't have the strata this has. I think it's Malachite.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally someone commented on the elephant!

I remember it being Jade when I got it. It was one of several crystals I had bought one time when the place was Feng Shui'd. I like that elephant a lot.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Damn, ceramic is so much rarer and valuable.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Finally someone commented on the elephant!

I remember it being Jade when I got it. It was one of several crystals I had bought one time when the place was Feng Shui'd. I like that elephant a lot.
    I really think it's Malachite. Of course its known as Jade Malachite.

Jade elephants: https://www.google.com/search=jade+elephant

Malachite elephants: https://www.google.com/search=malachite+elephant

It's still very nice!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Damn, ceramic is so much rarer and valuable.
    Funniest comment of the day!

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Based on those pictures it's definitely Jade Malachite. It doesn't look anything like the ones in that first link. You were right the first time. I should learn never to question your brilliance!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Based on those pictures it's definitely Jade Malachite. It doesn't look anything like the ones in that first link. You were right the first time. I should learn never to question your brilliance!
    I thought I was wrong once, but it turns out I was mistaken.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 644 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast