Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 156 of 644 FirstFirst ... 56 106 146 154 155 156 157 158 166 206 256 ... LastLast
Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 16091

Thread: Suntup Editions

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just hope that Paul doesn't get confused and fork the whole thing up!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Shh...you weren't supposed to say anything about the salad fork variant. Now pre-orders are gonna be a pain!
    Nah; I'm sure Paul does this kind of thing all the tine.
    After all, so many of us are willing to fork over anything for a Suntup book.
    Boo! lol.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Paul, if I ordered Horns, could I have spoons embedded into the spine instead of pitchforks? Just asking for a friend.
    It would be easier to measure out the Kool-Aid with a spoon.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    does anyone truly believe these books are worth what they are going for?
    In the end...the very end. it will be the rare, the very old 1st/1sts in vf/vf, hard to get books and unique items that are actually worth the most money. I believe these pretty, multi duplicates, will find there value diminished. who would not rather have an early signature vs anything in the last 10 years. if you have money to literally burn then i think its a pretty adage to ones collection, otherwise its silly. i say put your money into something with some history. These books wont have history until it doesn't matter anymore.
    Just sayin,
    With all due respect - Utter nonsense.

I can take my pick of F/F first editions of ANY of the DoubleDay originals for < $1000. With the exception of rarities like The Plant and TNLR, ALL of the early Signed Limited's are freely available on the open market for < $2000. Only Lettered editions go above that as a norm. These prices have been stable for years and only increase with inflation or due to some related event (like the hype around the IT Film).

Ask any serious collector what are the 'special' books, the 'Holy Grails' and the answer will invariably be "The Stand - Coffin Edition, Firestarter - Asbestos cover, Regulators - Bullet Case, 'Salem's Lot - Centipede Press, Skeleton Crew - Leather zip case. What have all these got in common? It's not just because of the small pool of books due to the (mostly) lettered limitation it's the vision of the final book coupled with the craftsmanship and quality of materials used.

Suntup Editions has set the bar very highly, not just on the ultra rare but on the standard Limited and Gift editions as well. These are perfectly capable of holding their own in the above esteemed company. Quality as they say, never goes out of fashion.
    I agree with most of that. That said all the books you listed were the 1st thus special editions. Not 2nd or 3rd version "limited editions" of the same title. There are some that are the 1st signed limited but titles like Horns have already had several "special editions". And i do enjoy quality, In fact i wish Suntup had done the 1st limiteds. My point is if you have the money they are great quality books. But for that kind of money, i appreciate something of vintage with value. And for the average, and maybe slightly above average collector, i feel there is a better bang for your buck, thats all.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2347 View Post
    AGREED!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post

This sniping about the value of Suntup books is ridiculous and a waste of time. If you're a collector, the book is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. It's a subjective, personal decision. If you're an investor, the book is worth whatever the market is telling you it's worth (and the market is based on the aggregate of the countless subjective, personal purchasing decisions that collectors have made). So why get bent out of shape about it? Either buy or don't buy.
    agreed.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    does anyone truly believe these books are worth what they are going for?
    In the end...the very end. it will be the rare, the very old 1st/1sts in vf/vf, hard to get books and unique items that are actually worth the most money. I believe these pretty, multi duplicates, will find there value diminished. who would not rather have an early signature vs anything in the last 10 years. if you have money to literally burn then i think its a pretty adage to ones collection, otherwise its silly. i say put your money into something with some history. These books wont have history until it doesn't matter anymore.
    Just sayin,
    With all due respect - Utter nonsense.

I can take my pick of F/F first editions of ANY of the DoubleDay originals for < $1000. With the exception of rarities like The Plant and TNLR, ALL of the early Signed Limited's are freely available on the open market for < $2000. Only Lettered editions go above that as a norm. These prices have been stable for years and only increase with inflation or due to some related event (like the hype around the IT Film).

Ask any serious collector what are the 'special' books, the 'Holy Grails' and the answer will invariably be "The Stand - Coffin Edition, Firestarter - Asbestos cover, Regulators - Bullet Case, 'Salem's Lot - Centipede Press, Skeleton Crew - Leather zip case. What have all these got in common? It's not just because of the small pool of books due to the (mostly) lettered limitation it's the vision of the final book coupled with the craftsmanship and quality of materials used.

Suntup Editions has set the bar very highly, not just on the ultra rare but on the standard Limited and Gift editions as well. These are perfectly capable of holding their own in the above esteemed company. Quality as they say, never goes out of fashion.
    I could not agree more Simon.
    If stroppygoblins name is Simon that would be ironic as my name is Simon as well. I hope we can all at least get a laugh at that if thats the case. If you were siding we me thats cool too. we are all friends here.
    Last edited by sgc1999; 10-05-2018 at 04:53 PM. Reason: mistake

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Stroppy is a Simon.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

All these views aside in the end a book is only worth what people are willing to pay.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I wish I had a crystal ball because even though we are two months away from Hill House (which looks awesome by the way, to me), I can't wait to see what's next after Horns. I just can't
    help myself. And I really don't care if everything doesn't shoot up like a rocket ship. You buy these books because you want to support a small publishing company. It doesn't matter if there
    were more than one done of Horns. I didn't buy those because I was not aware of them. I bought this one. And as far as the price goes, yes it is more money. But it's also longer than Misery
    which means more material, and more time on that letter press machine, which as I understand it, is not cheap to do. I for one can't wait.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Any guesses on the timeline for the next Suntup announcement?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Any guesses on the timeline for the next Suntup announcement?
    My guess is when HHH starts to ship.

Along the Path of the Beam Jason Sechrest has a spectacular aura about Jason Sechrest has a spectacular aura about Jason Sechrest's Avatar

Bill Thompson, the editor from Doubleday who discovered Stephen King, agreed back in July to give me what is truly the "definitive" interview with him. It was my honor to speak with Bill for several hours over many months as he told me of how he first came to receive King's earliest manuscripts (which would eventually become The Bachman Books), how he fought tooth and nail to get his first book published, and what those early drafts of novels like CARRIE, 'SALEM'S LOT, and THE SHINING looked like before they became the versions we all know and love. Some of these stories he has never told before. Of course, Thompson did not just discover Stephen King. He discovered John Grisham as well, and a handful of other beloved authors.

I cannot emphasize enough that this man is a legend in the world of publishing. The decisions he made during his time at Doubleday changed the course of literary history, and as a result, American culture as we know it. This is Part 1 of my interview with Bill Thompson, the latest installment in my "Keys to the Kingdom" column for Suntup Editions. I hope you enjoy it.

https://suntup.press/keys-to-the-kin...mpson-part-one

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Received this a bit back. More pics in my collection thread.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sechrest View Post
    Bill Thompson, the editor from Doubleday who discovered Stephen King, agreed back in July to give me what is truly the "definitive" interview with him. It was my honor to speak with Bill for several hours over many months as he told me of how he first came to receive King's earliest manuscripts (which would eventually become The Bachman Books), how he fought tooth and nail to get his first book published, and what those early drafts of novels like CARRIE, 'SALEM'S LOT, and THE SHINING looked like before they became the versions we all know and love. Some of these stories he has never told before. Of course, Thompson did not just discover Stephen King. He discovered John Grisham as well, and a handful of other beloved authors.

I cannot emphasize enough that this man is a legend in the world of publishing. The decisions he made during his time at Doubleday changed the course of literary history, and as a result, American culture as we know it. This is Part 1 of my interview with Bill Thompson, the latest installment in my "Keys to the Kingdom" column for Suntup Editions. I hope you enjoy it.

Wow, you definitely intrigued me! I wrote down to check out that interview within the next few days !
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Along the Path of the Beam Jason Sechrest has a spectacular aura about Jason Sechrest has a spectacular aura about Jason Sechrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

Wow, you definitely intrigued me! I wrote down to check out that interview within the next few days !
    Awesome! Hope you enjoy it!

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Well done Jason. Interesting and insightful.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Ugggh. I hate cliff hangers. Great start!! Really fun read. I always thought the $400k was for the movie rights. But are you stating is for UK paperback rights or just paperback rights in general? I am NO expert. Just curious!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great read!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post

Ugggh. I hate cliff hangers. Great start!! Really fun read. I always thought the $400k was for the movie rights. But are you stating is for UK paperback rights or just paperback rights in general? I am NO expert. Just curious!
    That was confusing. The article states that a UK publisher offered $400,000, then it says that the $400k was from New American Library.

Good read though.

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    That's a great question! I'm on it. Have already put an inquiry in to Bill. Will keep you posted!

And thank you all for the kind words! Glad you are enjoying the read. I found speaking with Bill just fascinating.

Country
    Country Flag

George Beahm says in The Stephen King Companion that the paperback rights were sold to NAL. King received $200,000 and Doubleday got the other $200,000 because their contract with King included subsidiary rights.

NAL and NEL were both owned by Time Mirror at the time. It's possible that a NEL representative went to Doubleday but NAL ultimately purchased the rights.

Spoke with Bill Thompson this morning. He says that the original offer for $400,000 was an offer that came from NAL-UK. Where the check came from, he is not sure of. But he is quite sure that the original offer came from the UK, though he assumes they had discussed it with US and had to get approval from corporate with an offer of that size.

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    George Beahm says in The Stephen King Companion that the paperback rights were sold to NAL. King received $200,000 and Doubleday got the other $200,000 because their contract with King included subsidiary rights.

NAL and NEL were both owned by Time Mirror at the time. It's possible that a NEL representative went to Doubleday but NAL ultimately purchased the rights.
    I think this is probably spot on! I think the UK rep made the offer, and that it may have come from NEL. But ultimately, it included but US and English rights... the check possibly coming from corporate NAL or Time Mirror.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Jason, what an interesting, engaging interview. I look forward to Part II.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cool interview Jason!! Loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 156 of 644 FirstFirst ... 56 106 146 154 155 156 157 158 166 206 256 ... LastLast