Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 265 of 644 FirstFirst ... 165 215 255 263 264 265 266 267 275 315 365 ... LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,625 of 16087

Thread: Suntup Editions

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I think I have way more than I would ever need for right now. And I will probably be spending the next two weeks going over that section of the survey. Hundreds of submissions.

I wish I could comment on some of them, but I must keep my mouth shut.

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

No, you don't! By all means, comment away. We won't hold it against you.

Unless you're actually doing Fight Club, in which case you probably shouldn't talk about it.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHatHarry View Post
    I picked:

1) The Bosch series by Michael Connelly
    2) The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles
    3) Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson (because I'd love to see what Suntup could do with that)
    I also nominated Calvin & Hobbes during a similar Suntup survey a while back. As far as comics go, I think Calvin & Hobbes would be much deserving of a Suntup homage. It's an awesomely written and beautifully illustrated comic that is beloved by millions, but also Bill Watterson and his whole approach to the series had a kind of 'classy feel' to it that I think would mesh well with the Suntup vibe (if anyone is interested, there's a good synopsis of it here: http://www.thelegalartist.com/blog/o...vin-and-hobbes). And if Bill Watterson put his signature to a Suntup signed limited edition of 'The Complete Calvin & Hobbes,' it would get a lot of attention, and be quite valuable. People pay handsomely for anything that Watterson put his signature on because there's so little of it out there.
    Watterson would never allow it let alone sign anything. The Complete Calvin & Hobbes was his final word.
    I don't know about that. Watterson wouldn't license something that alters Calvin & Hobbes, but a publication of his work as it stands? He has never said he wouldn't authorize or be a part of such a thing. He won't license a 'Calvin & Hobbes world' in Disney World or a Calvin & Hobbes movie because it would pervert his work, but a fine Suntup publication of Calvin & Hobbes as it already exists is a different story.
    I feel fortunate to have a Watterson signed Complete Calvin and Hobbes (the paperback version) as well as 1-2 other Watterson sign books. That would be amazing to put those together and make a beautiful SunTup edition
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

“Jaws” not flapping?
    Selective hearing
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Watterson would never allow it let alone sign anything. The Complete Calvin & Hobbes was his final word.
    I respectfully disagree. Watterson would likely consider it redundant (which it is) and there would be zero chance of him signing anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    I feel fortunate to have a Watterson signed Complete Calvin and Hobbes (the paperback version) as well as 1-2 other Watterson sign books. That would be amazing to put those together and make a beautiful SunTup edition
    Well we'll have to agree to continue disagreeing, I guess, since you offer nothing but flat opinion with zero reasoning. Why is there 'zero chance of him signing anything?' He signed a limited edition Calvin & Hobbes lithograph in 1992, an edition of 1000. So why would he not sign a fine Suntup limited edition of his masterpiece in a quantity 1/4 the size of that edition? It's not like he never signed any of his books, cit74 owns three of them, as he points out above.

And for someone who considers releasing a limited edition of a book that's already been published 'redundant,' you certainly seem to enjoy reading your deluxe Centipede Press Salem's Lot every year. Imagine if Jerad or King had just said 'eh, fuck it, it's redundant' instead of publishing that book.
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post

Unless you're actually doing Fight Club, in which case you probably shouldn't talk about it.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Artist Gift editions are interesting. At first I wasn't too crazy about making these, but I feel differently now. You will start to see more of these with each release. I'm not saying every book will have one, but more of them will in the future.
    FWIW, I am in the group for whom this is particularly good news.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Artist Gift editions are interesting. At first I wasn't too crazy about making these, but I feel differently now. You will start to see more of these with each release. I'm not saying every book will have one, but more of them will in the future.
    FWIW, I am in the group for whom this is particularly good news.
    Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As am I.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

In other words, keep pumping out those beautiful AGE's Paul! Lol

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Suntup Press

Hey Paul, out of all the cool
    Books listed on this thread... can you say if one is secured for a Suntup production? Not which one... just tell us IF ONE is happening?

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Books listed on this thread... can you say if one is secured for a Suntup production? Not which one... just tell us IF ONE is happening?

That might be more torture than not knowing.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

A quick scan and I see THREE that are happening.

As for the Watterson debate, there is only one way to settle that. The dice have been rolled.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As for the Watterson debate, there is only one way to settle that. The dice have been rolled.
    HOLY COW

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post

Regarding Chuck Palaniuk possibilities.
    I would really be interested in seeing a Suntup edition of either Lullaby or Diary.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Hot damn, Paul, you know how to get the blood pumping!
    Looking for:

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I respectfully disagree. Watterson would likely consider it redundant (which it is) and there would be zero chance of him signing anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    Well we'll have to agree to continue disagreeing, I guess, since you offer nothing but flat opinion with zero reasoning. Why is there 'zero chance of him signing anything?' He signed a limited edition Calvin & Hobbes lithograph in 1992, an edition of 1000. So why would he not sign a fine Suntup limited edition of his masterpiece in a quantity 1/4 the size of that edition? It's not like he never signed any of his books, cit74 owns three of them, as he points out above.

And for someone who considers releasing a limited edition of a book that's already been published 'redundant,' you certainly seem to enjoy reading your deluxe Centipede Press Salem's Lot every year. Imagine if Jerad or King had just said 'eh, fuck it, it's redundant' instead of publishing that book.
    Maybe 20 years ago I remember hearing that Watterson previously had a fan mail address on his website and would occasionally sign books if fans sent them in. As soon as they started showing up on eBay he stopped signing.

There's a documentary available on Amazon Prime called Dear Mr. Watterson that spends some time talking about his anti-merchandise stance and the huge amounts of money that he walked away from as a result.
    Mark Twain

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Fair enough.
    I based my position on perceptions gleaned from interviews with Watterson, Nevin Martell's Searching For Calvin & Hobbes, and Time Magazine's (content.time.com) Top 10 Most Reclusive Celebrities #7
    Watterson consistently resisted pressure from publishers to merchandise his comic, believing that it would devalue the characters.
    Despite a large and passionate fan following, Watterson retired the strip in 1995, citing frustration with the constraints of daily deadlines and small panels. He has since retreated from the public eye, declining interviews and public appearances and refusing to sign autographs or license his characters. For a time, Watterson stashed autographed copies of his books on the shelves of a local family-owned bookstore — until fans started selling them for higher prices. It remains to be seen if the world will hear from Watterson again
    Of course Paul's recent comment on the subject lends intrigue to the possibility of a limited edition. However, Watterson's requirement for artistic control of his property along with the fact that The Complete Calvin & Hobbes and all 18 individual collections are still in print and available on Watterson's website could make it challenging. As could price point and signature.
    Regarding the signed lithograph, it was sent to newspapers by Watterson and Universal Syndicate as a thank you to newspapers that carried the comic strip when he went on sabbatical in 1992. It was never intended for sale and my guess (opinion, not fact) is that he is none too happy with secondary market sales of the print.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

In response to your eloquently phrased question, if Jerad or SK hadn't published /approved a 'Salem's Lot limited edition I guess I would have re-read my 1976 paperback edition 44 times instead of the 29 times I had read it prior to the Centipede edition.
    In addition to the understated design and quality of materials used, the beauty of the CP limited is that the inclusion of deleted scenes from the original manuscript kept it from being redundant to any perviously published version of the book which was the main attraction for me.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just based on what I've read from you guys, Watterson would be none to happy with someone flipping a Suntup of his either.

I'll have to check out that documentary. Sounds interesting.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Fair enough.
    I based my position on perceptions gleaned from interviews with Watterson, Nevin Martell's Searching For Calvin & Hobbes, and Time Magazine's (content.time.com) Top 10 Most Reclusive Celebrities #7
    Watterson consistently resisted pressure from publishers to merchandise his comic, believing that it would devalue the characters.
    Despite a large and passionate fan following, Watterson retired the strip in 1995, citing frustration with the constraints of daily deadlines and small panels. He has since retreated from the public eye, declining interviews and public appearances and refusing to sign autographs or license his characters. For a time, Watterson stashed autographed copies of his books on the shelves of a local family-owned bookstore — until fans started selling them for higher prices. It remains to be seen if the world will hear from Watterson again
    Of course Paul's recent comment on the subject lends intrigue to the possibility of a limited edition. However, Watterson's requirement for artistic control of his property along with the fact that The Complete Calvin & Hobbes and all 18 individual collections are still in print and available on Watterson's website could make it challenging. As could price point and signature.
    Regarding the signed lithograph, it was sent to newspapers by Watterson and Universal Syndicate as a thank you to newspapers that carried the comic strip when he went on sabbatical in 1992. It was never intended for sale and my guess (opinion, not fact) is that he is none too happy with secondary market sales of the print.
    I appreciate the detailed response. In light of Paul's electrifying intervention, I would say the debate is awesomely superfluous since we're actually going to get an answer. Even if he doesn't respond at all, it's still a definitive answer given a long enough timeline.

In response to your eloquently phrased question, if Jerad or SK hadn't published /approved a 'Salem's Lot limited edition I guess I would have re-read my 1976 paperback edition 44 times instead of the 29 times I had read it prior to the Centipede edition.
    In addition to the understated design and quality of materials used, the beauty of the CP limited is that the inclusion of deleted scenes from the original manuscript kept it from being redundant to any perviously published version of the book which was the main attraction for me.
    'The understated design and quality of materials used' are what make a finely crafted limited edition book nonredundant, regardless of how many times the work has been published. If the quality of the craftsmanship makes the book useful to a person by enhancing the enjoyment they derive from handling, smelling, admiring, and even reading such a book, then the application of the word redundant to it can be inciting, to say the least.
    Looking for:

... If the quality of the craftsmanship makes the book useful to a person by enhancing the enjoyment they derive from handling, smelling, admiring, and even reading such a book, then the application of the word redundant to it can be inciting, to say the least.
    Absolutely agree. I have stated many times (probably more than most here care to read) how much the Centipede edition enhances my reading experience although the passion I have for the story plays a role was well. The stronger I feel about a particular book/story, the more inclined I am to be interested in some type of limited edition. That said I am grateful that Jerad pursued the project and SK approved it.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Amazing.

Now who is compiling a summary list of all the books listed in the thread?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Amazing.

Now who is compiling a summary list of all the books listed in the thread?
    Either MikeDuke, or Jeffingoff...

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO SLEEP AT NIGHT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 265 of 644 FirstFirst ... 165 215 255 263 264 265 266 267 275 315 365 ... LastLast