Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 227 of 644 FirstFirst ... 127 177 217 225 226 227 228 229 237 277 327 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,675 of 16092

Thread: Suntup Editions

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Probably War & Peace. And I concur with everyone else. The spines look amazing for Horns!

In other news; paid off The Road this morning so bring on the next announcement!
    It will be soon. I just want to start shipping Horns first. I like to keep the ratio between pre-orders and shipments at a comfortable level. And it ain't War & Peace.
    Thanks for trying to keep the uber-expensive books spaced apart enough for us pikers to keep up. It is strongly appreciated.

Also- HORNS is looking really cool so far... As someone who was slow to warm to this edition (for my own reasons), I'm looking forward to seeing it.

And, my guess for the 1000+ page future book: Alan Moore's JERUSALEM.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

A 1000 pager? Hmm.

Not Swan Song; SubPress just did that. Maybe Simmons' Carrion Comfort?
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Gotta give us a hint though on the 1000+ pager.
    No hints, sorry! And it's premature anyway. We don't even have approval yet. But if we do, I will be a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    Would it still be in a single volume, or would you split it into two or three? I shudder to think how thick that spine would be...

Also, is it The Count of Monte Crisco by Alexandree Dumb-ass?
    Yes, single volume but although the trade edition is over 1000 pages, because of the unique design and page size we came up with for this, it will come in at a good number under 1000. Still pretty thick though. But again, I'm getting ahead of myself here. It's not Monte Cristo.

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Thanks for trying to keep the uber-expensive books spaced apart enough for us pikers to keep up. It is strongly appreciated.

Also- HORNS is looking really cool so far... As someone who was slow to warm to this edition (for my own reasons), I'm looking forward to seeing it.

And, my guess for the 1000+ page future book: Alan Moore's JERUSALEM.
    You're welcome, although I suspect there will come a time when you won't be thanking me... good news is that the next announcement's Limited level book is the lowest priced to date. Oh, and the big book is not Jerusalem, but good guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    A 1000 pager? Hmm.

Not Swan Song; SubPress just did that. Maybe Simmons' Carrion Comfort?
    Nope.

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't have a copy, but is THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH over a 1000 pages? Fantastic read, and I bet you could do something amazing with it.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

Every day feels like the day before Christmas in this thread. There’s always a new announcement, production update, book release or hint of what’s to come. I love it!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    I don't have a copy, but is THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH over a 1000 pages? Fantastic read, and I bet you could do something amazing with it.
    That novel is 806 pages in length.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    Nice idea; good book.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    Every day feels like the day before Christmas in this thread. There’s always a new announcement, production update, book release or hint of what’s to come. I love it!
    Welcome to Christmasland
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Paul's 1,000 pager is going to be the comprehensive and complete, FINISHED, first-ever-anywhere edition of King's THE PLANT!

Just my guess.

Gunslinger Apprentice knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll go ahead and guess.

The Way of Kings, Stormlight Archive #1 is over 1000 pages and if you like Sanderson this one is an obvious love by many.
    Seeking:

Suntup Misery Lettered + Rights
    Suntup Shining 1st Paperback Large Art Print

Gunslinger Apprentice NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Tolkien
    Looking for SubPress Lettered:Farseer Trilogy; Shadow of the Wind, Angel's Game, Prisoner of Heaven
    Looking for Centipede Press S/L: Dracula

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by knightmare View Post
    I'll go ahead and guess.

The Way of Kings, Stormlight Archive #1 is over 1000 pages and if you like Sanderson this one is an obvious love by many.
    Sanderson has his own press DragonSteel and I believe Stormlight is already under works with that. (and he sells through subterranean)

Gunslinger Apprentice knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Does that make it exclusive, though? I know he does his own leather-bound of Mistborn etc. and SubPress likes to have exclusive deals but for my purposes I do not care if someone else has done it. What Suntup is doing with books elevates it to art on another level. The signature of Sanderson is not of any value b/c he signs anything and even sells signed books off his site for a song...but I could imagine an amazing presentation better than some leather bound in traycase as SubPress does with almost every lettered edition.

On the other hand, I am under the impression that Suntup is working to do titles without limited editions recently done so you make a good point.
    Seeking:

Suntup Misery Lettered + Rights
    Suntup Shining 1st Paperback Large Art Print

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

As a very general rule, I tend to stay away from publishing an edition of a book if there is already a limited from another publisher. This could be the collector in me saying that we just don't need another limited of that one.

So I will look to see what has been done before, and by which press. Then with that knowledge, I will make a decision. Even though I follow this basic rule, there are definitely times when I will still publish the novel, despite the fact that it has already been done.

Several factors play a part in that decision, one of which is the book itself. If it's a big classic story, I may feel that it just needs a Suntup edition of it. Another factor is related to what sort of job the other publishers did with it. Sure, our books tend to stand alone from the typical limited edition, but there are times where I feel that the previous publisher did a great job of it, and there is no point in doing my own version. Just like some movies don't need a sequel. Then of course, the converse to that is also true. If I feel the previous edition didn't quite do the book justice, then I will take it on.

And then there are publishers who have done several books from a certain author, and I tend to stay away from that because I respect the long-term relationship between publisher and author. Koontz and Charnel come to mind, McCammon and Sub Press, Sanderson as well. Also, existing contracts may prevent these and others I may have my sights on. So lots of variables come into play.

Right now, I have a good mix of first-time limited publications, and an SE take on some classics.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Well, whatever and however you are doing it, it seems to be working. And I have no guess for the mystery 1000 page book if you get a chance to do it. Just keep up the great work. I know I am excited to see what's next.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

As a very general rule, I tend to stay away from publishing an edition of a book if there is already a limited from another publisher. This could be the collector in me saying that we just don't need another limited of that one.

So I will look to see what has been done before, and by which press. Then with that knowledge, I will make a decision. Even though I follow this basic rule, there are definitely times when I will still publish the novel, despite the fact that it has already been done.

Several factors play a part in that decision, one of which is the book itself. If it's a big classic story, I may feel that it just needs a Suntup edition of it. Another factor is related to what sort of job the other publishers did with it. Sure, our books tend to stand alone from the typical limited edition, but there are times where I feel that the previous publisher did a great job of it, and there is no point in doing my own version. Just like some movies don't need a sequel. Then of course, the converse to that is also true. If I feel the previous edition didn't quite do the book justice, then I will take it on.

And then there are publishers who have done several books from a certain author, and I tend to stay away from that because I respect the long-term relationship between publisher and author. Koontz and Charnel come to mind, McCammon and Sub Press, Sanderson as well. Also, existing contracts may prevent these and others I may have my sights on. So lots of variables come into play.

Right now, I have a good mix of first-time limited publications, and an SE take on some classics.
    Your sensibilities as a collector make all the difference to your press. The books you pick, the way you pack, and how you announce each new release I think all come from that. Also, you're an artist approaching each book as a unique work, finding and delivering on the defining concept. It's really spectacular. And I'm glad you consider what's been done and what should be done before deciding on what to do. BUT I think you can definitely get away with doing new limited editions for books that have existing limited editions. I don't mind. Not one bit. So I'm thrilled to see that you're open to that.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post

Your sensibilities as a collector make all the difference to your press. The books you pick, the way you pack, and how you announce each new release I think all come from that. Also, you're an artist approaching each book as a unique work, finding and delivering on the defining concept. It's really spectacular. And I'm glad you consider what's been done and what should be done before deciding on what to do. BUT I think you can definitely get away with doing new limited editions for books that have existing limited editions. I don't mind. Not one bit. So I'm thrilled to see that you're open to that.
    I agree with that .

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would like to give a shout out to Paul. I was tasked with helping a chap to find a Cujo. He had his letter from EOTD up and did not get to order it. He had some shit going on in his life and missed the window and thus Paul moved on and his letter went to the next in line. He was devastated. Here is where the story gets interesting. The person would not give up the book. I can understand that... They did not care that his set was going to be broken. SO, I started asking around to a few guys that may want to sell theirs. My thoughts for my buddy was... If I can get another copy for him, the guy with his letter might not care as long as he is getting the book. I found a DH and Cujo double letter that he could buy. The other buyer was fine with the swap of letters and the world was righted again. However...... when the book arrived he posted his shock (AND MINE TOO!) that not only did he get the other variant color of DH BUT IT WAS SIGNED!!!! Well, at first glance I was stunned. He had it posted on the King Facebook I run and he was over the moon. Chad (honkytonk) who is one of the guys that runs it with me... said he didn't like the signature. I looked again. FAR to large. He was right... we were convinced it was fake. Chad, played the bad guy and told him. Now, he was not mislead as we did not know it was signed but in my eyes this copy is defaced and the value has dropped a lot. I asked the seller if he knew it was signed and he did! He thought I knew and I did not but he in fact purchased this and sent it in to Paul. Paul's job is not to evaluate signatures or even look at what is sent in so he would have no idea. And nor did the seller. He was shocked we found it fake.

HERE is where Paul deserves a shout out. He comes on the thread under the post and OFFERS to help. He, at his cost, offers to take the book back and repair it by removing that defaced page and replacing it with a clean one. I do not know of any other publisher owner that would do that. I mean do not get me wrong, there are others out there that will help (CD has numerous times) but to just offer and take on that hassle when he is clearly BUSY as hell trying to get books signed and put out? It shows what kind of guy we are dealing with here as a publisher. I sincerely hope more authors find out about this guy and start to come to him because they want no other to care for their work and livelihood. Kudos for the help on this when you didn't have to brother. You again prove why I am honored to be a lifer with you and your company Cheers mate, kris
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Cool

Great story Kris. It clearly shows the class of Paul. And just as you feel honored to be a lifer, I feel lucky that I just fell into this by accident.

Country
    Country Flag

WOW! Thanks for sharing that story, Kris! What a fantastic thing to do Paul! Really. It shows that you know how much these books mean to your customers and how seriously you take that relationship. CHEERS!

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Aw shucks, thanks Kris. Just doing what's right.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Great story, Kris, and that was very generous of you, Paul.

Paul, regarding your choice of Suntup Edition projects, do you have a preference of standalone books over books in a series? You seem to have focused on the former to date; would you consider the latter?
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Paul, regarding your choice of Suntup Edition projects, do you have a preference of standalone books over books in a series? You seem to have focused on the former to date; would you consider the latter?
    Sure, I'd consider a series.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just dreaming, but I'd love the Hodges Trilogy done up right like only you could do!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post

Just dreaming, but I'd love the Hodges Trilogy done up right like only you could do!
    Me too. Even though I really only liked the first novel.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 227 of 644 FirstFirst ... 127 177 217 225 226 227 228 229 237 277 327 ... LastLast