+ Reply to Thread
Page 262 of 270 FirstFirst ... 162 212 252 260 261 262 263 264 ... LastLast
Results 6,526 to 6,550 of 6728

Thread: Suntup Press

  1. #6526
    Citizen of Gilead lotuz is a splendid one to behold lotuz is a splendid one to behold lotuz is a splendid one to behold lotuz is a splendid one to behold lotuz is a splendid one to behold lotuz is a splendid one to behold lotuz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    742
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    We know (based on the availability of the various lettered editions) that there are ~25 people who currently buy every lettered edition, and probably each buy a numbered edition too. I assume that a number of them are on the DRE train as well, but have no indication of how many. I think that a much smaller group of people purchase all the prints (based on the fact that most prints are ~100 total copies and most are still available in one or both sizes).

    I'd be curious to know what percentage of the ~250 numbered slots have been filled by people who plan to purchase every book. My guess is that this is currently a much higher percentage than most, if not all, of the other small genre presses (thinking mainly about Centipede Press, Sub Press, Cemetery Dance, PS Publishing, and Charnel House, with Letterpress Publications a bit too early in the process to tell). I think this is why Suntup Editions is the only press that requires you to buy every edition to maintain a specific number with pre-order status. All the other presses have a variety of tracks (King tracks, specific author tracks, specific series tracks, etc.) that allow you to maintain a number under certain circumstances and only request it in others.

    I would bet that at some time in the future there will be a tipping point, at which time there will be a minority of sales coming from customers who buy every book and a majority coming from a mix of customers who buy many but not all books plus customers who buy only books that they have a special interest in. I'm sure that this is the current case for all the other small presses (maybe not Charnel House), and I'm also sure that it's related to the much greater output of all those presses (also excepting Charnel House). However, Suntup does maintain a consistently higher price point for both limited and lettered editions, which makes it extra hard to try to predict how many yearly releases will eventually result in the tipping point! Is it 4 books? 6? Probably if it were to go up to 12 books per year it would "tip".

    I hope that at that point (if it comes), Paul might consider a model similar to what Centipede Press uses (other presses might do this as well, but I don't know): if you agree to a subscription in which you purchase all of the books, you are guaranteed the same number, access to all releases, and a discount off the list price.

    But all of this only considers the buyer's standpoint, not the publisher's!

    Those concerns would probably include:

    1. When is profit maximized?

    2. When is the ability to spend as much time as necessary on each book compromised?

    3. What is the optimal work/life balance for the proprietor?

    And those are probably all different points! My gut feeling is that (2) is the current priority and (3) is probably a higher work/life ratio than normal, given that we all know that Paul was a collector first, and very much prioritizes the needs and desires of collectors. But let's give him ten years and see if he gets a little jaded

    Of course this is all rampant speculation on my part. Would be curious to hear other people's thoughts...

    (And their book choices as well!)
    Please help me find:
    RED SNAKESKIN HORNS
    from Suntup Editions

    The Citadel of the Autarch, #100
    Chimera II
    from Centipede Press

  2. #6527
    Servant of Gan Hunchback Jack is a splendid one to behold Hunchback Jack is a splendid one to behold Hunchback Jack is a splendid one to behold Hunchback Jack is a splendid one to behold Hunchback Jack is a splendid one to behold Hunchback Jack is a splendid one to behold Hunchback Jack is a splendid one to behold Hunchback Jack is a splendid one to behold Hunchback Jack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    My picks
    Ooh, good suggestions. Instead of your second, though, I'd prefer
    Spoiler:
    The Crook Factory


    And 4 books a year was my pick as well, partly for expense, and partly because each release becomes more of an event. But if more books are needed to make Suntup a going concern, bring them on!

    HBJ
    ďIf you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.Ē
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

    Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven
    Wolf's Hour
    Mister Slaughter
    Ilium

  3. #6528
    Demon of the Prim firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,244
    My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    My picks
    Ooh, good suggestions. Instead of your second, though, I'd prefer
    Spoiler:
    The Crook Factory


    And 4 books a year was my pick as well, partly for expense, and partly because each release becomes more of an event. But if more books are needed to make Suntup a going concern, bring them on!

    HBJ
    My top 3 were:
    Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
    Blood Music by Greg Bear
    Sphere by Michael Crichton

    I also chose 4 books a year, and I echo HBJís reasoning
    Looking for:
    1) CD Carrie S/L & matching art portfolio #58
    2) Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof
    3) 1st printing Night Shift without dust jacket

  4. #6529
    Rabid Billybumbler cit74 is a splendid one to behold cit74 is a splendid one to behold cit74 is a splendid one to behold cit74 is a splendid one to behold cit74 is a splendid one to behold cit74 is a splendid one to behold cit74 is a splendid one to behold cit74 is a splendid one to behold cit74's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Cali
    Posts
    2,795
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I had:
    Name of the Wind
    Something by Neil Gaiman (even his Childrens stories - lots of art and thought this would be fun)
    Harry Potter series
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344


    ďA good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.Ē Wayne Gretzky

  5. #6530
    Honky Mahfah zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,386
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Thank you for the submissions! I'm amazed at how many survey submissions have come through. A whole lot more than I expected. Some never completed the survey, so they won't be included for the prize draw. But a ton of great information.

    It's always good to see what books are important to you. Some of the ones mentioned are either in the works, or they are on the radar.

    Jerome, you may get an increase in traffic after that survey went out. 35% had not heard of the site, but they have now!

    A few comments:

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I also opted for four books a year but my greatest preference is for however many keep Suntup rolling strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    But if more books are needed to make Suntup a going concern, bring them on!

    HBJ
    This is really what it boils down to in terms of how many books I put out in a year. I completely understand that for most people, 4 a year would be more "comfortable" or affordable than 6 or 8 or 12. Believe me, I get it. But at the same time, I have to keep the business rolling and remain focused on building it.

    Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    ...I think this is why Suntup Editions is the only press that requires you to buy every edition to maintain a specific number with pre-order status. All the other presses have a variety of tracks (King tracks, specific author tracks, specific series tracks, etc.) that allow you to maintain a number under certain circumstances and only request it in others.
    You made a lot of really good observations in your full post. I haven't been doing this long enough to have established several 'tracks' though, other than King and not King. So multiple tracks isn't really feasible at this stage. The way it works currently evolved out of requests from customers. Something that has become very clear to me is that the entire Suntup brand is considered a series by many. As to where this goes, tipping points, etc... we will have to see how it plays out.

  6. #6531
    Goldmember webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Porters Lake, NS
    Posts
    13,135
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Not included in the poll, but a fact of life is that Suntup produces "x" amount of books per year, "x" amount of highest quality cover prints, and Dragon Rebound produces "x" amount of exquisite rebound books per year.
    If there are 4 Suntup books (usually a lettered, numbered, and a gift edition), 4 prints (usually 2 sizes, and possible remarques) and 2 rebound books per annum, that is a hefty chunk of change. Expecting collectors to consistently spend $10K a year just for Suntup/Dragon productions is a stretch.
    But I have to ask.. what does Dragon have to do with Suntup other than the owner?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure why you didn't understand.

    A dedicated follower (people who spend their hard earned dollars), buys everything Suntup and Dragon Rebound produces. That means a significant outlay every year.
    They are two separate companies and I believe should be treated as such. Perhaps the words ďdonít understandĒ was wrong as I do know what you mean man however grouping the two I no longer do as they have zero to do with each other. Then you might as well include every other fan favourite small press too. Subpress and CD... thatís all I meant.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  7. #6532
    "I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an has a reputation beyond repute Br!an's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Space Coast, Florida
    Posts
    7,128
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Not included in the poll, but a fact of life is that Suntup produces "x" amount of books per year, "x" amount of highest quality cover prints, and Dragon Rebound produces "x" amount of exquisite rebound books per year.
    If there are 4 Suntup books (usually a lettered, numbered, and a gift edition), 4 prints (usually 2 sizes, and possible remarques) and 2 rebound books per annum, that is a hefty chunk of change. Expecting collectors to consistently spend $10K a year just for Suntup/Dragon productions is a stretch.
    But I have to ask.. what does Dragon have to do with Suntup other than the owner?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure why you didn't understand.

    A dedicated follower (people who spend their hard earned dollars), buys everything Suntup and Dragon Rebound produces. That means a significant outlay every year.
    They are two separate companies and I believe should be treated as such. Perhaps the words ďdonít understandĒ was wrong as I do know what you mean man however grouping the two I no longer do as they have zero to do with each other. Then you might as well include every other fan favourite small press too. Subpress and CD... thatís all I meant.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They both involve Paul though. His time is valuable. Each effort affects the other. Misery was to be a Dragon Rebound and ended up a Suntup S/L. [Redacted] has been put on hold for now as a Rebound since Paul is busy with Suntup productions.
    ďThe reason I talk to myself is because Iím the only one whose answers I accept.Ē


  8. #6533
    Guardian of the Beam MikeDuke is a splendid one to behold MikeDuke is a splendid one to behold MikeDuke is a splendid one to behold MikeDuke is a splendid one to behold MikeDuke is a splendid one to behold MikeDuke is a splendid one to behold MikeDuke is a splendid one to behold

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    3,160
    My Mood
    Mellow

    Default

    Lotuz
    "I'd be curious to know what percentage of the ~250 numbered slots have been filled by people who plan to purchase every book."
    That would be me. I plan on getting everything numbered Paul puts out. And you made some very good points in your post. I am just glad that I found
    Suntup when I did. Because the whole process is exciting. From the teaser vid, to the naming of the book and full trailer, to the updates and getting that
    book in your hands. I love it. And I don't want to miss one second of it. So far I am very happy with how things are unfolding. I am looking forward
    to years of Suntup books to be added to my collection.
    And there was a subscription option when Paul was first getting started at different levels. They all sold out. If Paul were to open that up again, I would most likely jump on it.
    I'm a Rebel in the F.D.G

  9. #6534
    Honky Mahfah zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,386
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Couple other points of note is that price points on Numbered level books will be planned in such as way as to not have the more costly letterpress books released back to back. As you've seen with Brother, and also The Road. Artist Gift editions are interesting. At first I wasn't too crazy about making these, but I feel differently now. You will start to see more of these with each release. I'm not saying every book will have one, but more of them will in the future.

  10. #6535
    Other worlds Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    12,746
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    There may come a day that I choose not to buy every numbered edition that Suntup produces, but that day hasnít yet come.

    Iím also a subscriber to the Covers Collection, but starting to wonder how long I should keep that monthly annuity payout going. I love the quality so much, but I hadnít realized how long the series would continue on.

    Having missed the Dragon Rebound train, I have to live vicariously through others and my wallet thanks me.

    I would like Suntup Editions productions of:
    Oryx and Crake,
    anything written by Kurt Vonnegut,
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

  11. #6536
    Citizen of Gilead jeffingoff is a splendid one to behold jeffingoff is a splendid one to behold jeffingoff is a splendid one to behold jeffingoff is a splendid one to behold jeffingoff is a splendid one to behold jeffingoff is a splendid one to behold jeffingoff is a splendid one to behold

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    640
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    One thing I hadn't considered is a Suntup Edition of a brand new release. That would be amazing. A brand new book by a respected author that hasn't seen publication anywhere else.

  12. #6537
    Demon of the Prim amd013 is a name known to all amd013 is a name known to all amd013 is a name known to all amd013 is a name known to all amd013 is a name known to all amd013 is a name known to all amd013's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    1,352
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    There may come a day that I choose not to buy every numbered edition that Suntup produces, but that day hasnít yet come.

    Iím also a subscriber to the Covers Collection, but starting to wonder how long I should keep that monthly annuity payout going. I love the quality so much, but I hadnít realized how long the series would continue on.

    Having missed the Dragon Rebound train, I have to live vicariously through others and my wallet thanks me.

    I would like Suntup Editions productions of:
    Oryx and Crake,
    anything written by Kurt Vonnegut,
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
    I agree with you points. Each release I keep thinking this is when I should bow out, but everyone keeps giving rave reviews on the books, so I continue on. I had never heard of "The Road" and "Brother", and didn't realize "Rosemary's Baby" was based on a book. So far the only book I have read in the non-king tract is THoHH, which I read a few years earlier. If it goes more then 4 a year, I will definetly bow out, and just try to get ones if I have already read (or are planing to read) the book.

    For the covers, I have already asked Paul to exclude me from the UK based covers, which he was nice enough to accommodate. I think right now, the only cover that I am looking for is the original US stand hardcover. So I may quit soon, especially since my case is getting stuffed.

    For future books I would like to see:
    Ethel the Aardvark goes quantity surveying
    Olsen's Standard Book of British Birds (expurgated version)
    anything by Edmund Wells.
    Wanted:

    'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606..

    Also, replace 1st/1st that got stolen:

    Carrie, Night Shift, The Stand, The Dead Zone, The Gunslinger

  13. #6538
    Demon of the Prim firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,244
    My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Not included in the poll, but a fact of life is that Suntup produces "x" amount of books per year, "x" amount of highest quality cover prints, and Dragon Rebound produces "x" amount of exquisite rebound books per year.
    If there are 4 Suntup books (usually a lettered, numbered, and a gift edition), 4 prints (usually 2 sizes, and possible remarques) and 2 rebound books per annum, that is a hefty chunk of change. Expecting collectors to consistently spend $10K a year just for Suntup/Dragon productions is a stretch.
    But I have to ask.. what does Dragon have to do with Suntup other than the owner?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure why you didn't understand.

    A dedicated follower (people who spend their hard earned dollars), buys everything Suntup and Dragon Rebound produces. That means a significant outlay every year.
    They are two separate companies and I believe should be treated as such. Perhaps the words ďdonít understandĒ was wrong as I do know what you mean man however grouping the two I no longer do as they have zero to do with each other. Then you might as well include every other fan favourite small press too. Subpress and CD... thatís all I meant.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They both involve Paul though. His time is valuable. Each effort affects the other. Misery was to be a Dragon Rebound and ended up a Suntup S/L. [Redacted] has been put on hold for now as a Rebound since Paul is busy with Suntup productions.
    Dragon Rebound and Suntup might be separate companies, but they are linked by the fact that Dragon Rebound letter owners were offered a private matching letter preorder of the first Suntup publication, the EoTD art portfolio. And owning that lettered portfolio led to a private preorder of a matching lettered Misery, and so forth. For me, being one of the lucky ones that got onto the ground floor of Suntup via this route, the two companies are linked in that one opened up the door to the other. And that is on top of the fact that Paul runs both companies. So sure, on paper they are separate companies, but do they have nothing to do with each other? Obviously not. Maybe at the present moment they don't have anything to do with each other aside from who runs them, but the one time that they actually did was pretty damn important, so they will always be linked.
    Looking for:
    1) CD Carrie S/L & matching art portfolio #58
    2) Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof
    3) 1st printing Night Shift without dust jacket

  14. #6539
    Honky Mahfah zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig people like to rub elbows with me zelig's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,386
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I for sure did not anticipate that the prints would continue for as long as they have when I first launched the series, but it would be a shame to end it prematurely. As more and more cover prints came on board, I began to realize how unlikely it is that there will ever be another opportunity to have a set of prints of every major King cover, signed by the artist. And that lead me to conclude what a unique series this is, when viewed not necessarily on an individual print level, but as a whole. To date, there are 37 prints that have been released and even if subscribers dropped off, I would still see this through. I want to be able to look back and feel confident that I made it as complete as possible.

    There are some which I felt wouldn't make sense to do a print of, and there are also others which I was simply not able to license. The most upsetting for me was The Stand. It took forever to even find Cayea, and when I did, he did not want to license it. This may come across as biased, but really, any artist who chooses not to be a part of this series is missing out on a unique opportunity considering the scope of the collection. But you have to respect the artist's decision. I think it's a matter of them not seeing the bigger vision of it.

    It's no small feat putting one of these out every month without skipping a beat, but I really feel that it is absolutely worth the effort.

  15. #6540
    Citizen of Gilead swintek will become famous soon enough swintek will become famous soon enough swintek's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    645
    My Mood
    Relaxed

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I wanted to nominate Song of Kali by Dan Simmons, but it was done in a lettered by Earthling Press (only ~14-16 copies) that was perfectly executed. Even Paul would have a challenge surpassing the production quality of that book.
    Yes, this! I am changing one of my Suntup wishlist pics to Song of Kali. Especially because of the fact that only 15 people have a worthy edition of it (no offense to Paul Miller on the fine numbered edition he did). In keeping with my personal mantra of "Beautiful books for all!"- the world needs more options of a killer edition of an absolutely essential novel.

    For the record, then:

    1. Red Dragon
    2. Song of Kali
    3. On Stranger Tides

    ('Kali bumped Silence of the Lambs. I know Subterranean did it- and did it well- but Harris only signed the crazy-expensive lettered. If Paul could get him to sign a Suntup numbered- I think it would justify another limited. Especially if published in tandem with Red Dragon)

  16. #6541
    Demon of the Prim firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,244
    My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I wanted to nominate Song of Kali by Dan Simmons, but it was done in a lettered by Earthling Press (only ~14-16 copies) that was perfectly executed. Even Paul would have a challenge surpassing the production quality of that book.
    Yes, this! I am changing one of my Suntup wishlist pics to Song of Kali. Especially because of the fact that only 15 people have a worthy edition of it (no offense to Paul Miller on the fine numbered edition he did). In keeping with my personal mantra of "Beautiful books for all!"- the world needs more options of a killer edition of an absolutely essential novel.

    For the record, then:

    1. Red Dragon
    2. Song of Kali
    3. On Stranger Tides

    ('Kali bumped Silence of the Lambs. I know Subterranean did it- and did it well- but Harris only signed the crazy-expensive lettered. If Paul could get him to sign a Suntup numbered- I think it would justify another limited. Especially if published in tandem with Red Dragon)
    Damnit, while I was selecting my 3 books for the survey, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was forgetting another book that I would prefer to see, and you just made me realize what is was! I would looooove to see Hannibal get the Suntup treatment. I hereby amend my list:

    1) Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
    2) Hannibal by Thomas Harris
    3) Sphere by Michael Crichton
    Looking for:
    1) CD Carrie S/L & matching art portfolio #58
    2) Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof
    3) 1st printing Night Shift without dust jacket

  17. #6542
    Gunslinger Apprentice NiceM will become famous soon enough NiceM will become famous soon enough NiceM's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    95
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I loved thew survey

    Somehow I fell out of league with horror and ended up with my top 3

    1. The Secret History by Donna Tartt
    2. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
    3. Tolkien. All works. Probably never possible with licenses but a man can dream what Paul would do with those books and all the art!
    Looking for SubPress Lettered:
    Farseer Trilogy
    Shadow of the Wind, Angel's Game, Prisoner of Heaven

    Looking for SubPress S/L:
    #8's Malazan Books of the Fallen

    Looking for Centipede Press S/L
    Dracula

  18. #6543
    Goldmember webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000 people like to rub elbows with me webstar1000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Porters Lake, NS
    Posts
    13,135
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I wanted to nominate Song of Kali by Dan Simmons, but it was done in a lettered by Earthling Press (only ~14-16 copies) that was perfectly executed. Even Paul would have a challenge surpassing the production quality of that book.
    Yes, this! I am changing one of my Suntup wishlist pics to Song of Kali. Especially because of the fact that only 15 people have a worthy edition of it (no offense to Paul Miller on the fine numbered edition he did). In keeping with my personal mantra of "Beautiful books for all!"- the world needs more options of a killer edition of an absolutely essential novel.

    For the record, then:

    1. Red Dragon
    2. Song of Kali
    3. On Stranger Tides

    ('Kali bumped Silence of the Lambs. I know Subterranean did it- and did it well- but Harris only signed the crazy-expensive lettered. If Paul could get him to sign a Suntup numbered- I think it would justify another limited. Especially if published in tandem with Red Dragon)
    Damnit, while I was selecting my 3 books for the survey, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was forgetting another book that I would prefer to see, and you just made me realize what is was! I would looooove to see Hannibal get the Suntup treatment. I hereby amend my list:

    1) Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
    2) Hannibal by Thomas Harris
    3) Sphere by Michael Crichton
    Oh your 1,2 is awesomeness!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

  19. #6544
    Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Way EAST of Patrick
    Posts
    3,992
    My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I picked:

    1. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (please don't laugh at me)
    2. Jaws by Peter Benchley
    3. Hell House by Richard Matheson

    The end papers for Charlie will be lickable wall paper.

    Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

  20. #6545
    Maerlyn's Imp Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell is a splendid one to behold Garrell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hagerstown, IN
    Posts
    2,448
    My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    I picked:

    1. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (please don't laugh at me)
    2. Jaws by Peter Benchley
    3. Hell House by Richard Matheson

    The end papers for Charlie will be lickable wall paper.

    Mulleins
    Great choices, I would buy any of the three
    Wish List:
    Rage 1st/1st
    Roadwork 1st/1st

  21. #6546
    Demon of the Prim firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,244
    My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post

    1) Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
    2) Hannibal by Thomas Harris
    3) Sphere by Michael Crichton
    Oh your 1,2 is awesomeness!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm actually thinking about moving Hannibal up to #1 now that I'm thinking about it. And it's making me want to reread it, but Brother is next on my list, and I can't bump it! Problems like this are problems I like to have, though
    Looking for:
    1) CD Carrie S/L & matching art portfolio #58
    2) Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof
    3) 1st printing Night Shift without dust jacket

  22. #6547
    Demon of the Prim firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66 is a splendid one to behold firemonkey66's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,244
    My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    I picked:

    1. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (please don't laugh at me)
    2. Jaws by Peter Benchley
    3. Hell House by Richard Matheson

    The end papers for Charlie will be lickable wall paper.

    Mulleins
    That's a good idea! Although lickable/edible endpapers might be tough, maybe scented endpapers? Like you open Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the smell of candy wafts up to you? That would be pretty damn cool
    Looking for:
    1) CD Carrie S/L & matching art portfolio #58
    2) Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof
    3) 1st printing Night Shift without dust jacket

  23. #6548
    Citizen of Gilead jeffingoff is a splendid one to behold jeffingoff is a splendid one to behold jeffingoff is a splendid one to behold jeffingoff is a splendid one to behold jeffingoff is a splendid one to behold jeffingoff is a splendid one to behold jeffingoff is a splendid one to behold

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    640
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    I picked:

    1. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (please don't laugh at me)
    2. Jaws by Peter Benchley
    3. Hell House by Richard Matheson

    The end papers for Charlie will be lickable wall paper.

    Mulleins
    That's a good idea! Although lickable/edible endpapers might be tough, maybe scented endpapers? Like you open Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the smell of candy wafts up to you? That would be pretty damn cool
    They'd need to taste/smell like snozzberries. Which is Dahl's word for
    Spoiler:
    dick

  24. #6549
    Along the Path of the Beam BadHatHarry is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    42

    Default

    I picked:

    1) The Bosch series by Michael Connelly
    2) The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles
    3) Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson (because I'd love to see what Suntup could do with that)

  25. #6550
    Along the Path of the Beam OldCrow88 has a spectacular aura about OldCrow88 has a spectacular aura about OldCrow88 has a spectacular aura about OldCrow88's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Floating
    Posts
    43
    My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Sharing the common concern that there's no perfect three and I'm sure I overlooked awesome possibilities, I picked:

    Neuromancer by William Gibson
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
    The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris.
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 262 of 270 FirstFirst ... 162 212 252 260 261 262 263 264 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts