Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 311 of 645 FirstFirst ... 211 261 301 309 310 311 312 313 321 361 411 ... LastLast
Results 7,751 to 7,775 of 16105

Thread: Suntup Editions

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Snagged one myself.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

And then there were none.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Received my copy of The Road. It is a thoroughly amazing edition. One detail I love is the selection of paper. The paper makes it look like
    Spoiler:
    each page is covered in ash.
    LOVE IT. another stunner!

http://youtu.be/NVa_HPPWezo

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Great review on youtube Jeff. Yea, it's a keeper for sure.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Default Suntup Press

Also I just noticed that The Haunting of Hill House is the only Suntup numbered or AGE without the Suntup name on the spine. Is that intentional? Is that another Easter egg? I see them everywhere now! Hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Also I just noticed that The Haunting of Hill House is the only Suntup numbered or AGE without the Suntup name on the spine. Is that intentional? Is that another Easter egg? I see them everywhere now! Hahahaha

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU JUST WON THE MISERY WHITE KEYS LETTERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First to notice! CONGRATS BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU JUST WON THE MISERY WHITE KEYS LETTERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First to notice! CONGRATS BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hahahaha send it to my widow because I just had a cardiac event.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

The white Misery is on the way to you Jeff. Well done.

But seriously, the missing publisher name on the spine of Hill House was not intentional nor is it an egg. Easter, cage free or otherwise.

Gunslinger Apprentice NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

CONGRATS!!! THE UNBOXING VIDEO WILL BE GRAND AND EPIC!
    Looking for SubPress Lettered:Farseer Trilogy; Shadow of the Wind, Angel's Game, Prisoner of Heaven
    Looking for Centipede Press S/L: Dracula

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    The white Misery is on the way to you Jeff. Well done.

But seriously, the missing publisher name on the spine of Hill House was not intentional nor is it an egg. Easter, cage free or otherwise.
    I assumed it was an issue of space limitation. No matter the case, I like that it makes that book unique. It along with Misery hold a special place as the first two in their respective tracks as well as the only ones with the super low launch print run of 185 numbered for sale.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NiceM View Post

CONGRATS!!! THE UNBOXING VIDEO WILL BE GRAND AND EPIC!
    I’ll have to rent an all white tuxedo and top hat! Also I’ll get a walking stick with the Suntup logo carved into a skull in the handle.

Gunslinger Apprentice NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I’ll have to rent an all white tuxedo and top hat! Also I’ll get a walking stick with the Suntup logo carved into a skull in the handle.
    Paul you need to make that walking stick an official Suntup item!
    Looking for SubPress Lettered:Farseer Trilogy; Shadow of the Wind, Angel's Game, Prisoner of Heaven
    Looking for Centipede Press S/L: Dracula

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I started THE ROAD last night and finished it early this afternoon.
    Great novel! I had only two minor problems with Mister McCarthy's prose, but they are so minuscule I will not mention them.
    The forward should definitely have been an afterward, I'm glad I treated it as such.
    The physical book and slipcase themselves are wonderful objects to hold and admire. I hate to just slide them on the bookshelf, they demand admiration.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Discovering SOLLY

Introduction
    Spoiler:
    I thought about writing down my experience uncovering the Suntup Easter Egg in the time immediately following the conclusion of the contest, but I had dismissed the idea. I didn’t want to shift the spotlight off the winner or off Paul’s heartwarming gesture in embedding his father’s name into his work. But then I read Tim’s (Lotuz’s) wonderfully thoughtful post in the new pride and joy thread regarding the red numbered Misery and my perspective shifted a bit (post #29827). I suppose I had been thinking that a written account would be an imposition; that it would detract from the events by highlighting the experience of the runner-up, so to speak, but now I’m thinking it might be an opportunity for everyone to share in my experience, because when I referred to it as a ‘Da Vinci Code moment’ in my initial post in the Suntup thread (post #7458), I wasn’t being facetious. I don’t think a film of my experience would be a summer blockbuster, to say the least, but it did contain a ‘eureka moment,’ a pounding pulse, some running around, an element of danger, and a bit of detective work, so it might be mildly entertaining enough to justify a written account. And this…is that account.

The Letters
    Spoiler:
    I noticed the S at the bottom of the copyright page of Misery when the book was first released. At the time, I shrugged it off as something I didn’t know about copyright pages, which in retrospect seems reasonable, but also dumb as shit because I did that KNOWING that Paul had said that there was one more thing in Misery that nobody had picked up on yet (post #3219). That fact will have me figuratively (and sometimes literally) slapping my forehead for the rest of my life. I suppose if I had made the connection back then, the entire contest would have progressed much differently as it would have spanned the release of The Haunting of Hill House, Horns, Rosemary’s Baby, and The Road (assuming nobody guessed it before then), rather than the short 24ish hours before The Road made it through the mail.

As for the next two letters, I vaguely remember seeing the O and L tucked neatly at the bottom of their respective copyright pages, but they didn’t grab my attention enough for me to completely focus on them. With Hill House, I think the O just had some natural camouflage because it looks very much like a zero, and a zero on its own isn’t out-of-the-ordinary to me (especially not on a copyright page, where I’m always looking for numberlines anyway). And with Horns I had some other stuff going on at the time that was delivered, which was occupying most of my attention.

But with the 4th letter in Rosemary’s Baby, I simply didn’t look at the copyright page when I first leafed through it. I remember flipping right to the illustrations (which are incredible) and then taking a quick peak at the limitation page to make sure it matched my number (OCD satisfied), but then putting it down with the intention of picking it back up later.

The Epiphany
    Spoiler:
    Later happened to be Tuesday, November 12, 2019. I had gotten home from work early and didn't expect my wife for a few hours, so I decided to leaf through a few of my books. I don’t do this nearly as often as I would like, so when it does occur to me and I have the time to do it properly, I really enjoy the experience. Rosemary’s Baby was on my mind, but I started with my Dragon Rebound Firestarter because I just can’t get enough of those wooden boards. From there I moved to my lettered Misery because…well, why not? Handling and smelling that book is akin to a religious experience for me, so I spent some time with it. And when I was through, I picked up Rosemary’s Baby. My intention was to start with it and then cycle through all the Suntup numbered, but I never would have guessed how entertaining that cycle was going to be. I’m not sure where in the book I started, but when I got to the copyright page, I focused in on that L and this time I really saw it: there’s a random L at the bottom of this copyright page. And that was when the other letters that had leached into my subconscious over the months coalesced and popped up to the surface.

Ho-ly shit. There’s a pattern here. If someone made a movie about this moment in my life, this would be where the director would cut in a close-up of my eyes dilating followed by a CGI scene of my heart speeding up crazily. I ‘remembered’ the other letters at that point, but not well enough to be sure of them. So I shakily put down Rosemary’s Baby and picked up Misery. S on that page. Next book? Hill House…which at the time was upstairs in the spare room where I keep most of my collection. I raced upstairs, grabbed it, and brought it back down to my book cabinet.

I opened it up to the O. Then I moved on to Horns and saw the 3rd letter. SOLL, no doubt about a pattern. However, thinking chronologically, Misery wasn’t the first Suntup publication. The Eyes of the Dragon portfolio and accompanying Palladini book were the first! I double-timed it back upstairs and dug out my EotD and Horns portfolios and the Palladini book. Those copyright pages didn’t have anything notable on them, so I decided it must just be the books starting with Misery…which of course also meant that The Road probably had a letter too. At this point, I mulled over the idea of waiting to say anything until The Road arrived. As I contemplated, I began wondering what the letters meant, so I jumped on my computer and started trying to figure that out. I started with the idea the letters may be Roman numerals, but that didn’t appear to fit. Then I thought maybe a code, like S = 19 because it’s the 19th letter in the alphabet, O = 15, and so on, but that also didn’t pan out. So I moved on to English words that start with SOLL. Not many. Basically, solleret was the only one, and it’s really a French word. Buuuut, a solleret is part of a suit of armor, which fits in with EotD, so back upstairs to the portfolios again! At this point my mad dashes up and down the stairs had become fairly comical because our 2 cats had decided that this must be some sort of game, so they were racing around either following me, fighting each other, or preceding me into my book room or back down to the living room. But it’s also where the ‘element of danger’ I mentioned came into play, because I almost took a serious digger down the stairs at one point when one of my cats jammed his way through my legs as I was descending. How anti-climactic and incredibly lame it would have been for me to take a fatal cat-related fall down the stairs while excitedly investigating my discovery, thus taking it to my stupid fucking grave.

plotting my demise

Still breathing, though, I went through the EotD portfolio and the Palladini book again looking for a suit of armor picture that might have a clue, but there were no sollerets to be found. So I started thinking about other meanings. I knew that anagrams were a part of the Rosemary’s Baby announcement, but without knowing how many letters there actually were, it seemed relatively pointless to pursue that thread, so I moved to other languages. Embarrassingly, I started with typing ‘what language do they speak in South Africa?’ into Google seeing as how Paul has roots there, but the answer was at least 35, with 10 being official languages, which wasn’t the smoking gun I was looking for. So what next? Latin seemed reasonable, seeing as how it’s the root of a bunch of other languages, so I started doing some searches and bingo, SOL can mean sun in Latin, which is a word that is part of Suntup, so it couldn’t be coincidence. SOLL wasn’t really a word on its own in Latin, so I decided it must be at least 2 words, the first SOL, the second starting with L. Some quick searching revealed the Latin phrase SOL LUCET OMNIBUS, which means ‘the sun shines on everyone.’ That’s it! That must be it! What a cool phrase to slowly roll out with each new book released! And believe it or not, I didn’t even once consider the idea that this was some sort of contest. I figured it was just something cool that Paul was doing, and that people might discover it at some point and enjoy the discovery on their own. So I decided to wait and see if The Road contained a U to confirm my suspicion. As the minutes ticked by, however, it became obvious that I wouldn't be able to wait because I was practically giving off electricity with how excited I was. But I also didn’t want to ruin the surprise for everyone else by posting it in the Suntup thread, so I decided to send Paul a private message. I figured he could tell me about it, but then save the experience of finding it for others by keeping it to myself. Surprisingly, he told me to post it in the Suntup thread. So I did just that and was delighted to find out about the Easter Egg contest! And that I had won something (post #7459)! But…there was no misunderstanding the fact that my guess was wrong. If it had been right, I would have won, and there would be no point in referring to a potential grand prize winner (post #7481). So back to the drawing board.

Guessing Game
    Spoiler:
    At first, I took Becca’s post to heart (post #7492). She said we could guess until the we get the right answer, but she also qualified this by saying ‘please don’t inundate us with replies.’ I tried to not inundate. I really did. I only made one or two guesses in the first 12 hours or so, I think. And man, one of those guesses was awesome. I knew I was wrong about SOL LUCET OMNIBUS, but that didn’t mean I was wrong about the use of Latin, so I did some more research. I looked through the Suntup site, the books, the portfolios, the paperweights, and then back at the site, and I started to think that maybe this tied into The Covers Collection somehow, so I looked through those again (I had already looked, but for a solleret before). I stopped at the cover for Different Seasons.

There’s a sun featured prominently in the upper left quadrant of the image. And to the right, there’s a moon. LUNA in Latin. What if Paul has embedded the announcement of Suntup’s next Stephen King book within the books he’s publishing? That would be – short and simple - fucking awesome! So maybe SOLL is the first part of SOL LUNA, sun and moon. Then going around the Different Seasons figure, the images look to be of a sun, moon, wind, and a flower. Looking those words up in Latin, and calculating the number of book releases it would take to spell it out, I submitted the guess that the letters were going to spell out SOL LUNA VENTUS FLOS (Latin for sun, moon, wind, and flower), which corresponds to the image on the original cover of Different Seasons, which meant that the 18th book Suntup releases will be a signed limited edition of Different Seasons!

That was wrong, of course, but how sweet would that have been! And I was convinced I was right…at first. But the long period of time where I wasn’t contacted as the winner eroded my confidence. And then the revelation of the Y on the copyright page of The Road confirmed it (post #7533). And this was when my plan to ‘not inundate’ went awry. And Becca, if you’re reading this, I’m sorry for the inundation, but I couldn’t help it! At the time I was at work in front of a computer, and I couldn’t seem to stop myself from internet searching and guessing and cross-referencing and guessing and searching and guessing and compiling and guessing. And sometimes my guesses were just slight iterations of previous guesses because I wasn’t sure how literal or strict the Suntup team was going to be when evaluating the answers. I made guesses ranging from the obscure (SOLLY is the name of Solly Jossel who was aboard the Ochberg orphan ship with Paul’s grandmother and they were good friends), to the simple, (SOLLY is the name of Paul’s first pet), but I didn’t hit upon the correct answer (although I guessed SOLLY is Paul’s grandfather’s name; so close, yet so far).

But I did make one guess that I was absolutely positive was the correct answer, and I think is worthy of mention. When I thought of it, I was practically floored by how right I was! It was obscure, but not too obscure. It was clever, but not so clever that nobody would ever guess it. It was playful, which fit in with the fact that it was a game. It was perfect, I had it. SOLLY…drum roll please

…was the name of the dragon that Paul had busting in through the ceiling of his bookshop from way back in the day! Solomon the Dragon! Solly for short! Something that prominent in your shop had to have a name! And the picture is proudly displayed on the Dragon Rebound website (link)! Red numbered Misery in the bag!

Conclusion
    Spoiler:
    Of course, I was wrong about this too. Somewhat embarrassingly, I must admit, considering what the real answer turned out to be (post #7577). I suppose I got caught up in the game and had imposed my own set of rules upon it, which specified that the answer had to be cleverly misleading; you had to think it was simple, but in fact, it was complex. Unfortunately for me, nothing could have been further from the truth! The answer was simple, elegant, and heartfelt rather than playful; open, honest, and inviting rather than complicated. And finally, it was generous, not just because of the prizes, but also because of the glimpse it offered us behind the scenes of Suntup Editions. Sure, we are kept rapt by the posts and e-mails showing us how these beautiful pieces of literary art are produced, but one simple word, SOLLY, reveals something more fundamental about the Suntup operation: it has a real heart that beats, not just for books, but for humanity. SOLLY pulls aside the curtain and reveals that the wizard is just a person; a good person who - like many of us - cherishes his loved ones and wants to recognize the impact those people have had on his life; to humbly give credit where credit is due. As a person and as a publisher, immortalizing the name of his father in the first 5 books that he publishes accomplishes that quite gracefully. But behind the curtain of Suntup Editions, it is a wizard who would imbue it with magic!

Solly and Paul

Gratitude
    Spoiler:
    For those that have made it through my long-winded account of the Suntup Easter Egg discovery, I would like to thank you. And I would also like to formally extend my deepest thanks to Paul and the Suntup team for going the extra mile to make collecting books such a goddamn blast! And obviously, for being so generous with the prizes From the bottom of my heart, I thank you!

Anthony (aka, Firemonkey66)
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

What a great story, Anthony. Thanks for taking the time to tell it.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

That was a great read!

If you had fallen down the stairs - with a random book clutched to your chest and more strewn about your living room - that would have added to the mystery, like you "had an accident" for knowing too much.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice!
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

What a great addition to Suntup collecting lore! Thank you for sharing.

My Mood
    Cool

"I’ll have to rent an all white tuxedo and top hat! Also I’ll get a walking stick with the Suntup logo carved into a skull in the handle."
    Paul, since I walk with a limp anyway, have bad balance, and use a cane, that would be very tempting.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for writing that Anthony. You had me laughing out loud with the quest to find the answer. You also really got me with what you wrote in the conclusion part and had more than a few tears after reading it. Anyway... thank you.

Mike, sounds like you could use that Suntup walking stick... Let me see what I can do...

;-)

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice story Anthony.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Thanks for writing that Anthony. You had me laughing out loud with the quest to find the answer. You also really got me with what you wrote in the conclusion part and had more than a few tears after reading it. Anyway... thank you.

Mike, sounds like you could use that Suntup walking stick... Let me see what I can do...

;-)
    Thanks Paul. If you could make it so it says Suntup down the front, it would be great. I will send you exact measurements so it's
    not to short or tall. How does that sound.

My Mood
    Cool

Private pre-orders for the lettered only book begin today and the announcement will be Fri. Excited for those who can get it.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm dying to know what this lettered-only edition is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 311 of 645 FirstFirst ... 211 261 301 309 310 311 312 313 321 361 411 ... LastLast