Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 277 of 644 FirstFirst ... 177 227 267 275 276 277 278 279 287 327 377 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,925 of 16087

Thread: Suntup Editions

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

And I will do this sparingly so I don't get into trouble but there are 60 S\L books left. And 154 of Brother.

Gunslinger Apprentice Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It is a point of view or perhaps a personal taste, but always an introduction is something important for me. I enjoy it a lot, because maybe I can share the emotions and feelings that the introducer writes in those lines. I don't see it as an introduction to the book, I see it as an introduction to how the book influences literature, life or self-existence.

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    Probably, though I readily admit I have a soft spot for I AM LEGEND, so don't personally feel as strong r.e. the other two that, you're right, do have a similar legacy.

I would say, however (and as objectively as I can be), I do think I AM LEGEND has a more enduring, timeless legacy than the other two, a larger footprint in the genre and literature/fiction in general. Both of the other books are important, respected, valued works, and they're both novels I love, but to my mind they seem more dated in their influence and pop-culture import...Jackson's work's in the '60s, Levin's in the '70s. The recent miniseries certainly brought Jackson's book back to the fore, but short of that, both it and Levin's novel (and the film of it) are touchstones of their respective decades, but Matheson's book has seen continual rebirths in interest (and films and graphic novels, etc. etc.) to make it fresh and relevant to each new decade. If a book has largely been out of the popular public consciousness, an introduction would indeed be a nice way to welcome it back when appearing in a new deluxe edition...but if it's been nearly omnipresent in that popular public consciousness since its publication, an introduction is much less warranted and, to my mind, less welcome.
    Again, very well said. You should write Danse Macabre II...

All this reminds me of the afterword R.C. Matheson wrote for the Gaunlet Press edition of Richard Matheson's Hell House. It is written like a letter to the publisher, kindly thanking him for the opportunity but ultimately declining because he believes nothing he could write would do the book justice.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

The next one doesn't have an intro either now that I think about it. And talk about something completely different... well, you'll see.

Off the top of my head, pretty much every other book planned has an introduction. One by the great-grandson of the author, and another by the son of the author. There's actually some interesting intro authors coming up.

Edit: Oh, and of course there is one by the author himself.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember watching The Omega Man as a kid and loving it!!!!
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I did too, although Matheson was displeased with all the filmed (3 I think) versions of the novel.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    The next one doesn't have an intro either now that I think about it. And talk about something completely different... well, you'll see.

Off the top of my head, pretty much every other book planned has an introduction. One by the great-grandson of the author, and another by the son of the author. There's actually some interesting intro authors coming up.

Edit: Oh, and of course there is one by the author himself.
    See, and I think intros by the authors themselves or their family/offspring if they're deceased are great to include because they either, respectively: A). give insight to what the author was thinking while creating the novel, the inspiration and process of the writing of the book, or, B). give insight into the familial environment of the author from a family member's perspective, so as to give a sense of the man/woman behind the work. I find that kind of behind-the-curtain stuff fascinating and those kind of introductions very welcome. It's the strangers' critical assessments of legendary books that, as they saying goes, need no introductions, that I can well do without...so since Matheson is unfortunately no longer around to provide insight and R. C. Matheson has demurred, I again was glad to see I AM LEGEND get the hands-off treatment.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I did too, although Matheson was displeased with all the filmed (3 I think) versions of the novel.
    ...though he did think that the Vincent Price version, The Last Man on Earth, was the best of the bunch. While I do think Price was miscast as the "everyman" of Matheson's novel, I do agree with him that the tone, the feel, of the film captured the tone, the feel, of Matheson's book far better than the other two.

That said, The Omega Man has always been a favorite movie of mine...I caught that thing when I was very young and I've probably seen in more than a dozen times since. No, it's not Matheson's novel on celluloid, but it's a helluva fun flick and Heston's great in the role.

The Will Smith version...well, I thought it was okay and didn't quite get all the criticism that seemed to fall upon it at time. It wasn't great, but I thought it was fairly entertaining.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Black Miau View Post
    It is a point of view or perhaps a personal taste, but always an introduction is something important for me. I enjoy it a lot, because maybe I can share the emotions and feelings that the introducer writes in those lines. I don't see it as an introduction to the book, I see it as an introduction to how the book influences literature, life or self-existence.
    That is very true if the introduction is done well by a relevant person without giving away spoilers.

I can also understand the publishing decision to go ahead without an introduction.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    That is very true if the introduction is done well by a relevant person without giving away spoilers.

I can also understand the publishing decision to go ahead without an introduction.
    I could have killed Peter Straub for giving away tons of spoilers in Brian Evenson’s “Last Days”.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I always read introductions and forwards last.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Gunslinger Apprentice Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Totally agree with you!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    And I will do this sparingly so I don't get into trouble but there are 60 S\L books left. And 154 of Brother.
    Why would you get into trouble?
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I think this edition should be signed by pawprint of the German Shepherd who starred in the Will Smith movie adaptation.
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    With me, who knows. But I will just do it a little bit.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I like your reports. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No one cares but me, but I'm glad Horns still holds the record
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

For what, fastest to sell out?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I with Bri... I do too.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    Yeah. And I still find it remarkable considering the chatter at the time was sweating how new the book was and how there was already a limited edition of it.

Lesson is: never sweat the sweaty chatter. Buy what speaks to you.

By far the most amazing book in my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I with Bri... I do too.
    Me three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Yeah. And I still find it remarkable considering the chatter at the time was sweating how new the book was and how there was already a limited edition of it.

Lesson is: never sweat the sweaty chatter. Buy what speaks to you.

By far the most amazing book in my collection.
    There's always a bigger fish and room for a fancier edition.

For me, it's a tie between Suntup's Horns and Misery and Amaranthine Books' Dracula (some call it tacky, I love it). I have one on the way that might just take the top spot, though. I'll have to see it in person first, but my expectations are very high.

My Mood
    Cool

Thanks Guy's. I just want to keep people up to date in case they are on the fence, or by some chance someone stops in here for the first time. I just want to let anyone new that there are books available.
    I think Paul doesn't care about how fast a book sells out. Now, when people come to his site they can put on a happy face because there are two books available. Granted, at different price points but
    it's still good a thing.

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For me, it's a tie between Suntup's Horns and Misery and Amaranthine Books' Dracula (some call it tacky, I love it). I have one on the way that might just take the top spot, though. I'll have to see it in person first, but my expectations are very high.

Oooooooooooooo... do share when you get it! Something that meets or exceeds those books must be very nice indeed

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't leave town for 5 minutes and this place gets crazy!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 277 of 644 FirstFirst ... 177 227 267 275 276 277 278 279 287 327 377 ... LastLast