Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 268 of 644 FirstFirst ... 168 218 258 266 267 268 269 270 278 318 368 ... LastLast
Results 6,676 to 6,700 of 16092

Thread: Suntup Editions

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Suntup Press

Letterpress is so gorgeous though. I mean... it’s classy and full of character. Not every book commands it but look at the price of Brother and Horns.. and you will see the rough cost of doing it. Maybe not every book... but damm we need a few Like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Letterpress is so gorgeous though. I mean... it’s classy and full of character. Not every book commands it but look at the price of Brother and Horns.. and you will see the rough cost of doing it. Maybe not every book... but damm we need a few Like this.

I agree with this, while not every book needs it, there are a few that deserve it.
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    I’ve been thinking about one of the survey questions, the one about the importance of letterpress printing. I chose the “nice, but nonessential” option. While I certainly appreciate the process and the result, its added value for me is not the same as that of, say, a leather binding (over cloth), a tray- or slipcase (over a naked book) or more illustrations.

Here’s my question to Paul:

If you were to publish Horns again, but printed offset this time, how would that affect your retail price? In other words, how much of that $675 comes from letterpress printing?

Don’t answer if you can’t or don’t want to - I’m just curious, is all.
    That is an excellent question, and one I've been meaning to ask here myself. So, while I'm here- If Paul chooses to talk about this- can you talk about what letterpress process you've been contracting? I know very little about it, but understand that there are a few different ways to do it now; something with polymer plates? In any case, I also voted for not doing it if it would "considerably" lower prices, as I believe Paul has stated in the past.
    Sometimes I wish I could just give a short answer.

There are so many production costs that determine the final retail price. If we're focusing only on printing, and comparing offset to letterpress, I can't give you an accurate answer because I don't have this book quoted for offset printing. A wild guess would put retail for the Numbered edition somewhere between $350 and $450. But that's really just a very wild guess.

More respondents went with letterpress than I would have expected. There's no exact science behind the printing process decision, but I do want to see a good mix so that not all titles are published at letterpress-type pricing. Page count is a really important factor. We have a book in the pipeline that is 800+ pages, another will likely break 1000 pages. To print those letterpress would push the price through the stratosphere, and we don't want that.

Ron, as to the technical details of letterpress, it's a subject that most times I am reluctant to speak of. It's one of those things that unless you are what you might call an 'expert', you have studied the art of letterpress printing, you have printed yourself for years, etc. it seems to me that any answer would prove inadequate and lacking. It's a dense subject. When I hear my printer speak of it, I am usually in awe at the highly technical nature of it. There are many aspects to consider. For example, if the impression is too deep on the page it can distort the type. The choice of paper is really important. I accept my limitations in such things. I rely on the expertise of others, and this applies to letterpress.

However, I will say that yes we use photopolymer plates. It's an industry standard, and the printing machine is a Heidelberg Cylinder press. You could look those up online if you want to read more about it. I'd like to print something with metal type some day, but that's a whole other discussion.

Since we're on the subject, I have a book we're working on which will be printed on a different machine; a hand-fed Vandercook press. This one is interesting, and more will be revealed in good time.

There's this video I once made when we were printing Misery, where you can see the press in operation: https://vimeo.com/272587976.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like it’s saying “Nice” every turn

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your reply, Paul!

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Nice explaination Paul. And an 800 page book plus a 1,000 page book. Wow. That's some heavy lifting there. Can't wait to see which those are. But a mix is still good even though I said letter press. That way it may mix up the style and pricing for future books.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I do printing for my work. It is my career. Letterpress is gorgeous. I seen this quote on line and its the best way to describe it for anyone not exactly sure what it is...

"“What is letterpress and how is it different from 'regular' printing?” Conventional printing methods of today lay ink or toner flat on the surface of the paper. In contrast, letterpress printing actually presses the type and image into the paper resulting in an impression you can see and feel."
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I do admit that letterpress is great. It may even look different then regular offset print. I have to double check. I know part of fascination and enjoyment of it is that you can feel the text just a bit. For me though, with my right hand still having nerve damage, it's harder for me to feel it like I do with my left hand. I can just a bit. A book doesn't HAVE to be letter press to be spectacular. I am very happy with the quality of my my GE Misery. It is top notch all around including the printing and paper. But I still like the idea of having a book that is letter pressed because it's something that makes it a bit more special and unique. So keep on doing them on the ones you can Paul.

Country
    Country Flag

UMMMM.... ???? What’s this??? Just cruising Jeff’s Unboxing’s and stumbled across this “secret surprise”!!!

https://youtu.be/nxos80ysd_k

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Lol man dude your good at these. Lol

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

8 days!!!! Cannot wait!!

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Cool

UMMMM.... ???? What’s this??? Just cruising Jeff’s Unboxing’s and stumbled across this “secret surprise”!!!

Release date
    And Jeff, that was a great video.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

It's CRAZY is what it is. I was recording a radio spot for the day job that I can't quit and haven't been able to comment until now, but sweet baby jeebus, I am dying to know what I may have helped unleash upon the world!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Always love getting to peek behind the curtain with those behind the scene updates. Good stuff!

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Well, of the 61 views I've had so far, there's at least one person who disagrees with you. But thank you!

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post

Well, of the 61 views I've had so far, there's at least one person who disagrees with you. But thank you!
    Boo to that one person. They certainly don't know art when they see it. I always look forward to your unboxing vids Jeff.
    They have never disappointed.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Super stoked for you, brother that Paul got you involved in the latest tease!

Any guesses folks?
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post

Any guesses folks?
    There a ton... pick any Vampire book... its one of them! I would bet!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Any guesses folks?
    There a ton... pick any Vampire book... its one of them! I would bet!
    Almost looks like a writing implement as well. You know, the type you would dip into someone's blood
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

wow wow wow, awesome way to announce. A lovefest indeed!

Now for my guess: Ann Rice? Would be a series though and not sure if Paul does series
    Looking for SubPress Lettered:Farseer Trilogy; Shadow of the Wind, Angel's Game, Prisoner of Heaven
    Looking for Centipede Press S/L: Dracula

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NiceM View Post

Now for my guess: Ann Rice? Would be a series though and not sure if Paul does series
    He's stated he'd consider doing a series.

Gunslinger Apprentice NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NiceM View Post

He's stated he'd consider doing a series.
    I'd root for Lestat then!
    Looking for SubPress Lettered:Farseer Trilogy; Shadow of the Wind, Angel's Game, Prisoner of Heaven
    Looking for Centipede Press S/L: Dracula

Gunslinger Apprentice M_O_O_N has a little shameless behaviour in the past M_O_O_N's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"It's a cookbook!"
    There are no coincidences. Only Ka.
    ~I don't like rep points! ~
    Please use only the 'I disapprove' option for me. (If it do ya fine.)

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

Jeff, if there was an award for YouTube Unboxing Comedy Gold, you should definitely get it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    Jeff, if there was an award for YouTube Unboxing Comedy Gold, you should definitely get it.
    I think we'd have to get even more niche. I fully believe that I'd walk away with every trophy in the category of: BEST UNBOXING OF SMALL PRESS PUBLISHING BOOKS AND RELATED ITEMS BY A MAN WHOSE NAME BEGINS WITH JEFFING

That's my category.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 268 of 644 FirstFirst ... 168 218 258 266 267 268 269 270 278 318 368 ... LastLast