Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New novella by Stephen King & Richard Chizmar (Gwendy’s Button Box)

The first official review I've seen for GWENDY'S BUTTON BOX has been posted:

http://sechrestthings.com/exclusive-...chard-chizmar/

If you've been wondering about the nature of the button box, some answers await you there.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Amazon is listing the audiobook on May 16th with The Music Room as the extra story. Bummer it isn't Cookie Jar but cool they added another one.
    No narrator has be listed though.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Bev, have you read it yet? Pardon me if you have answered this... and if so... did you like it?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Bev, have you read it yet? Pardon me if you have answered this... and if so... did you like it?
    Yes, I read it before I interviewed the authors -- and I loved it. It's scary and poignant and touching all at the same time.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quick question. I surprisingly have not read a lot of the Castle Rock books yet. Can I go ahead and read this one or should I really read those first?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quick question. I surprisingly have not read a lot of the Castle Rock books yet. Can I go ahead and read this one or should I really read those first?
    You need NO prior knowledge of Castle Rock to read and enjoy this story. There are little references that long-time Castle Rock fans will smile at, but missing them will not change the story one bit.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Awesome, thanks!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Richard Farris?

Hmmm...
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

I had to take these fast because I need to run out the door, but the VIP review copies for GWENDY'S BUTTON BOX arrived. There are 20 of these and most of them are reserved for important business associates of the authors plus a few "very important" publications that will be reviewing the book:

Brian

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice Brian !
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Richard on FB :
    "Stephen King and I just recorded a conversation about GWENDY'S BUTTON BOX with the fine folks at Simon & Schuster Audio as a Bonus Item for the audio book release due in stores on May 16."
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Richard on FB :
    "Stephen King and I just recorded a conversation about GWENDY'S BUTTON BOX with the fine folks at Simon & Schuster Audio as a Bonus Item for the audio book release due in stores on May 16."
    A REALLY fun interview, but I don't know what will be kept in and what will be edited out.

Brian

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Sweet!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We've added a few of Keith Minnion's interiors to the GWENDY'S BUTTON BOX product page but we left out a few that might spoil the fun a bit. I won't post any of the images in this thread yet since I know some folks don't like to see any of the interior artwork ahead of time. You can view the previews on the product page here:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/gwendys...d-chizmar.html

Brian

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...iew/101788066/
    Stephen King takes a trip back to Castle Rock in his new novella Gwendy’s Button Box (Cemetery Dance Publications, 180 pp., *** out of four stars), a different sort of coming-of-age story about a mysterious stranger and his odd little gift.

Co-written with Richard Chizmar, King’s zippy work returns to the small-town Maine locale of The Dead Zone, Cujo and other early novels to introduce Gwendy Peterson, a 12-year-old girl in 1974 wishing to get in shape and rid herself of the moniker “Goodyear.”

Gwendy is doing her daily workout at the local park on the grimly nicknamed Suicide Stairs when she meets an odd man with a black hat. Richard Farris comes bearing a mahogany box with various colored buttons and levers, handing it to her with an ominous caveat: “It gives gifts, but they’re small recompense for the responsibility.”

Pushing one lever delivers delicious chocolate animals; the other offers valuable silver coins. The eight buttons, however, are a bit harder to push because of the weight of their destructive significance — the black one is called “the Cancer Button” for a very good reason.

The story revolves around a childhood spent protecting this box. Gwendy discovers its positives and negatives, watching history unfold and worrying about the wooden accessory’s effect on the greater world at large and her own microcosm of friends and family.

The novella is an interesting form for King: It’s longer than the short-story gems he’s unleashed, shorter than the epics that have given a grand mythology to sometimes just a small town, but one where he's shown he's a master with The Mist and The Body. The reader spins through Gwendy’s teenage years pretty quickly here, getting to know her well enough but missing some of the folksiness and magic that’s made King’s past small wonders so great.

Still, the book is extremely well-paced and with not that many pages to turn, it's a fun read that never loses momentum. Gwendy also acts as a neat sidebar to King’s other Castle Rock tomes. Hardcore fans get an expansion of the weird town’s geography, and Gwendy's Button Box feels like it belongs in this locale that’s always been a pit stop for scary Americana and the normal turned deadly — as in, Cujo’s sweet St. Bernard becoming a killing machine.

Gwendy nicely captures that same winning dichotomy between the innocent and the sinister: Things go very wrong around this little girl, and King and Chizmar leave you wondering if it’s the potential horrific danger of the box or just life itself being kind of a putz.

Country
    Country Flag

Default Where Nightmares Come From: The Art Of Storytelling In The Horror Genre

Welcome to the official Facebook page for Crystal Lake's WHERE NIGHTMARES COME FROM.
    To kick thing's off, you'll see our awesome cover by artist Luke Spooner, and here's the current line-up (we're still working on signing some big name authors, as well as some of the best writing teachers around):
    Joe R. Lansdale
    Stephen King
    Bev Vincent
    Richard Chizmar
    Tom Monteleone
    Elizabeth Massie
    Ray Garton
    Ramsey Campbell
    Mercedes Yardley
    Lisa Morton
    And many more... (stick around for weekly announcements)
    Edited by Joe Mynhardt & Eugene Johnson.

>>> https://www.facebook.com/NightmareAnthology/

Any idea if the Stephen King would be a brand new essay or an already existing or parts of an interview??

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

It's my interview with him and Rich about Gwendy's Button Box

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Bev. So there won't he any other "contribution" by King in it then?

Not that I'm aware of. There will likely be another contribution from me, though. Not related to King.

Traveler OldDarth is on a distinguished road

That Nightmares book looks sweet!

Enjoyed Gwendy's Button Box but there's a central issue with the story that left me scratching my head -
    Spoiler:
    Is Richard Farris the Man In Black? If he is, he acted very out of character in this story. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop but it never did. Maybe in a sequel?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OldDarth View Post
    That Nightmares book looks sweet!

Enjoyed Gwendy's Button Box but there's a central issue with the story that left me scratching my head -
    Spoiler:
    Is Richard Farris the Man In Black? If he is, he acted very out of character in this story. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop but it never did. Maybe in a sequel?

I felt the same way, but another thing bothered me. Early in the story Gwendy makes a reference to seeing "Gone in 60 seconds " at a drive in I believe in the '70's. Was that a "re-make"? If not it came out in like 2000 or so.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast