Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Authors That Aren't Stephen King

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Many of my favorites were mentioned already. Also worth checking out IMO: Cody McFadyen (he wrote a couple of great serial killer novels and then simply disappeared), Daniel Hecht (for some great 'neuropsychological noir' novels). Hugh Howey (Wool trilogy). Justin Cronin (The Passage trilogy).
    A few other great books I read not too long ago (based on recommendations here):

- Replay (Ken Grimwood)
    - Wayward Pines (Blake Crouch)
    - Dark Matter (Blake Crouch)
    Another vote for all three of these. REPLAY, in particular, is an all-time favorite of mine.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, there has been some discussion before about Replay. It's a stand out and one of my favorite books.

If there are any Follett fans out there, the third book in the Kingsbridge series is coming out in September. Proof copies are showing up on eBay.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Many of my favorites were mentioned already. Also worth checking out IMO: Cody McFadyen (he wrote a couple of great serial killer novels and then simply disappeared), Daniel Hecht (for some great 'neuropsychological noir' novels). Hugh Howey (Wool trilogy). Justin Cronin (The Passage trilogy).
    A few other great books I read not too long ago (based on recommendations here):

- Replay (Ken Grimwood)
    I've been wanting to read more Blake Crouch. I loved the Wayward Pines trilogy. So Dark Matter was good then?
    I am a huge Blake Crouch fan. I picked up Pines a few years ago and then proceeded to read almost everything by him. I highly recommend Run, Dark Matter, and his collection of short stories. Abandon and Snowbound were good as well, but I'd say start with the others first.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Heather has it right...I also got on the Crouch bandwagon a year or two ago, and read most of his stuff in a burst...he has a very compelling way of telling a story. My favorites were, as Heather echoes, the PINES trilogy, DARK MATTER, and RUN (and in that order).

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post

- Replay (Ken Grimwood)
    I've been wanting to read more Blake Crouch. I loved the Wayward Pines trilogy. So Dark Matter was good then?
    I am a huge Blake Crouch fan. I picked up Pines a few years ago and then proceeded to read almost everything by him. I highly recommend Run, Dark Matter, and his collection of short stories. Abandon and Snowbound were good as well, but I'd say start with the others first.
    Well, Heather, you are the reason I read the Pines triliogy, so I should probably listen to you. Thanks!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I really do hope you enjoy his other books. Please let us know what you think once you read them. I love his fast paced way of storytelling.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Any Harris experts have an opinion on this sig? Thx

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post

As stated in the other thread. I don't like it. looking at my Cari Mora it's no bueno. I wouldn't buy it if I were you

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post

As stated in the other thread. I don't like it. looking at my Cari Mora it's no bueno. I wouldn't buy it if I were you

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I agree. Thanks a lot for input.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Cixin Liu is a fairly recent favourite.

Edited for a few more additions:

Gene Wolfe, Harlan Ellison, Tim Powers, Ray Bradbury.

Two Canadian science fiction writers worth checking out are Peter Watts and Brent Hayward.

Country
    Country Flag

I struck out on here seeking our official Easton Press expert. Do we have a Thomas Harris expert in residency? Need help from both.

Thx

Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF
    ANYTHING DT Related #246

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Easton Press did Silence of the Lambs a couple of years ago. I think I have it somewhere if there is something you want to know.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Easton Press did Silence of the Lambs a couple of years ago. I think I have it somewhere if there is something you want to know.
    Thanks Lurk. Was just looking for a person to ask general Easton Press questions and a person to ask general Harris Questions to.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh. Well, I have a lot of Easton Press. Been collecting them since the 80's. Probably know quite a bit about the Masterpieces of Science Fiction and Signed Science Fiction series, but I would not say I'm an expert.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Do you by any chance have a complete list of Ben Bova and Mike Resnick Easton Press books? I was never sure I had or was looking for the ones I am missing.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Country
    Country Flag

I have a spreadsheet of all that somewhere - I will look!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Two Canadian science fiction writers worth checking out are Peter Watts and Brent Hayward.
    Can you recommend a great series by either author?

Country
    Country Flag

Oh. Well, I have a lot of Easton Press. Been collecting them since the 80's. Probably know quite a bit about the Masterpieces of Science Fiction and Signed Science Fiction series, but I would not say I'm an expert.
    Well you are my go to Easton Press person now. Like it or not. Ha! I know they are definitely part of collecting but how important do you view the blank book name plates? Collecting the Hemingway set (the multicolored version) and wondering how much they effect value in your opinion?

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Do you by any chance have a complete list of Ben Bova and Mike Resnick Easton Press books? I was never sure I had or was looking for the ones I am missing.
    This what I have in my list.

Mike Resink

Second Contact 1990 Signed
    Purgatory 1993 Signed
    The Outpost 2001 Signed
    Return of Santiago 2003 Signed FESF

Starship Mutiny 2005 signed numbered
    Starship Pirate 2006 signed numbered
    Starship Mercenary 2007 signed numbered
    Starship Rebel 2008 signed numbered
    Starship Flagship 2009 signed numbered

Ben Bova

Kingsman Saga 1989
    Voyagers III 1990 signed FESF
    Trikon Deception 1992 signed
    Brothers 1996 signed numbered
    Moonrise 1996 signed numbered
    Moonwar 1998 signed numbered
    Return to Mars 1999 signed numbered
    Venus 2000 signed numbered
    Jupiter 2001 signed numbered
    Saturn 2003 signed numbered
    Mercury 2005 signed numbered
    Immortality Factor 2009 signed numbered

Country
    Country Flag

Well you are my go to Easton Press person now. Like it or not. Ha! I know they are definitely part of collecting but how important do you view the blank book name plates? Collecting the Hemingway set (the multicolored version) and wondering how much they effect value in your opinion?

I place no value on them. Honestly, I throw them away. No one should be tempted to deface a book.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    This what I have in my list.

Mike Resink

Second Contact 1990 Signed
    Purgatory 1993 Signed
    The Outpost 2001 Signed
    Return of Santiago 2003 Signed FESF

Starship Mutiny 2005 signed numbered
    Starship Pirate 2006 signed numbered
    Starship Mercenary 2007 signed numbered
    Starship Rebel 2008 signed numbered
    Starship Flagship 2009 signed numbered

Ben Bova

Kingsman Saga 1989
    Voyagers III 1990 signed FESF
    Trikon Deception 1992 signed
    Brothers 1996 signed numbered
    Moonrise 1996 signed numbered
    Moonwar 1998 signed numbered
    Return to Mars 1999 signed numbered
    Venus 2000 signed numbered
    Jupiter 2001 signed numbered
    Saturn 2003 signed numbered
    Mercury 2005 signed numbered
    Immortality Factor 2009 signed numbered
    I knew about all the Resnick's. The ones I still don't have are STARSHIP MERCENARY and REBEL.

On Bova, it seems I need MOONWAR and MERCURY.

That's nowhere near as many as I thought I was missing! Thanks!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Can you recommend a great series by either author?
    Hayward doesnt have any series. Actually, he has only three novels and a short story collection. I like to think of him as a cold hearted China Mieville. Filaria, A Head Full of Mountains, Fecund's Melancholy Daughter, Broken Stars Broken Moon. Try a few stories from Broken Stars to get used to his style or dive right into Filaria. If you thought Wool was too vanilla, you'll like it.

I've read only three books by Watts: Blindsight and its sequel Echopraxia and the novella he published last year that's independent of all of his books. I'll have to look the name up. Blindsight was incredible. It's like if vastness of Hyperion, ideas of Arthur C. Clarke and Larry Niven's more Military sf had a really gnarly threesome. Echopraxia was too damned science/hard SF and even Watts said it was a "self-pwn."

Edit: the novella is The Freeze-Frame Revolution and it's a lot of fun.

Country
    Country Flag

I place no value on them. Honestly, I throw them away. No one should be tempted to deface a book.
    That is actually great news. I think they are useless too. Just figured collectors would view them as "incomplete". Thx

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

Can anyone help me with First Edition Identification Points for the UK Red Dragon? Maybe even book size measurements?

Much appreciated!

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Traveler Picklemaniac has a spectacular aura about Picklemaniac has a spectacular aura about Picklemaniac's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

either chuck palahniuk or cormac mccarthy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast