Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Authors That Aren't Stephen King

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I think I've asked this on the boards before, but is Dean Koontz any good? If so, what are some of his best books?
    You could try his Odd Thomas series. I also think you should give Christopher Moore a try - Lamb is a popular one to start with or maybe The Stupidest Angel, Fool or A Dirty Job.
    I just looked those up. They sound like pretty fun books, especially A Dirty Job.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I think I've asked this on the boards before, but is Dean Koontz any good? If so, what are some of his best books?
    You could try his Odd Thomas series. I also think you should give Christopher Moore a try - Lamb is a popular one to start with or maybe The Stupidest Angel, Fool or A Dirty Job.
    I just looked those up. They sound like pretty fun books, especially A Dirty Job.
    Bloodsucking Fiends, You Suck and Bite Me are an amusing vampire series set in San Francisco and Sacre Bleu is a mystery surrounding the death of Vincent van Gogh. All witty and entertaining.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Is Stephenson actually any good? I was at the store the other day and his books were every where. They even had lettered editions of his books there but i've never heard anything on him.
    I like him - he's kind of like Simmons in that his books are all different and some you like and some you don't. I would recommend early stuff like Snow Crash or Zodiac. He gets more dense and really detailed with Cryptonomicon. I really enjoyed the Baroque Cycle - it's a lot of history of science. His other work is I guess science fiction, but I really was kinda on the fence about his last one Seveneves.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

William Peter Blatty
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

For those looking for quirky fun I suggest:
    Mark Leyner - My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist and Et tu Babe
    Nicholson Baker - Vox and The Fermata (both are a bit of erotica)

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I also wanted to mention Jeff Strand. He's usually billed as horror/humor, although he writes YA too. He's a friend of a friend, which is how I found him. The first book I read of his was Pressure and I couldn't put it down. He is also part of the the new Cemetery Dance Select series. As I was able to review those books already, I can definitely recommend that one. There is a story in there called “Mr. Sensitive” that will make you laugh, want to throw up, and cause you immense vicarious pain all at the same time.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jeff Vandermeer is a really cool author.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Also, I currently started Senlin Ascends and it's wonderful so far!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...senlin-ascends
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Traveler asted2113 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Michael Crichton is up there with Stephen King for me. He makes difficult subjects easy to understand.

Mary Kubica is an awesome author, definitely worth a read.

Also The Kellermans. Jonathan Kellerman, Faye Kellerman and Jesse Kellerman.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm a Robert McCammon fan. I have been pleased with all I've read of his. I feel that he is underrated.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

To everyone in here who mentioned Robert McCammon's name: Thank you! I am a little over halfway through Boy's Life and loving every single bit of it. I don't want this book to end.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To everyone in here who mentioned Robert McCammon's name: Thank you! I am a little over halfway through Boy's Life and loving every single bit of it. I don't want this book to end.
    Awesome that you're still enjoying Boy's Life!
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

I don't know if he's been mentioned in here already, and I'm too lazy to search the entire thread ( ), but...

Does anyone recommend Arthur C. Clarke? I picked up Childhood's End at the bookstore yesterday out of intrigue, but put it back because I didn't know if I wanted to give it the time. I know 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of those classic sci-fi pieces that people recommend, but does anyone know if it's really good or just an overrated piece of fiction?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If anyone's up for historical fiction, Gore Vidal.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

The Clarke books I liked the best are 2001, 2061 ODYSSEY THREE, THE FOUNTAINS OF PARADISE, 3001 THE FINAL ODYSSEY, and RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA. I've read CHILDHOOD'S END and his early novels and recall that I liked them, but it's been so long that's about all I can remember. For some reason I disliked 2010 ODYSSEY TWO though.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know if he's been mentioned in here already, and I'm too lazy to search the entire thread ( ), but...

Does anyone recommend Arthur C. Clarke? I picked up Childhood's End at the bookstore yesterday out of intrigue, but put it back because I didn't know if I wanted to give it the time. I know 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of those classic sci-fi pieces that people recommend, but does anyone know if it's really good or just an overrated piece of fiction?
    Clarke was an amazing author. He has always been my #1 (science fiction) and never failed to inspire awe.
    Childhood's End is one of my favorites, along with the Odyssey books and the Rama series.
    2001: A Space Odyssey absolutely is worth you time.

sk

Cool. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Cool. Thanks for the tips, guys.
    Here's an another: track down the short story The Sentinel by ACC. It's a prequel to 2001. He has a ton of collections and The Sentinel gets reprinted a few times. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

Rendezvous with Rama is another great novel.

If I read The Sentinel first will it do anything to spoil or take away from 2001 if I decide to read it later?

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well....The Sentinel was used as a starting point for 2001: A Space Odyssey (didn't see the movie yet???) but it was not a straight adaptation.

Clarke:"I am continually annoyed by careless references to 'The Sentinel' as 'the story on which 2001 is based'; it bears about as much relation to the movie as an acorn to the resultant full-grown oak.

So no, I don't think reading the short story first will spoil reading the novel. But what do you mean......if I decide to read it later? It's a fantastic novel, and a great, great movie.
    Read the novel. see the movie!

sk

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post

So no, I don't think reading the short story first will spoil reading the novel. But what do you mean......if I decide to read it later? It's a fantastic novel, and a great, great movie.
    Read the novel. see the movie!

sk

Noted.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read Childhood's End a year or two ago because they were doing a mini-series adaptation. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it seemed very dense to me. For such a short book I had a lot of times where I could only take 20 pages at a time before I had to set it aside until the next time. Lots of good and interesting ideas about people, creation, and our place in the world, but the character work wasn't the best.

If you're into more dense sci-fi, I'd say give it a shot. I'd be curious to see how you like it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Many of my favorites were mentioned already. Also worth checking out IMO: Cody McFadyen (he wrote a couple of great serial killer novels and then simply disappeared), Daniel Hecht (for some great 'neuropsychological noir' novels). Hugh Howey (Wool trilogy). Justin Cronin (The Passage trilogy).
    A few other great books I read not too long ago (based on recommendations here):

- Replay (Ken Grimwood)
    - Wayward Pines (Blake Crouch)
    - Dark Matter (Blake Crouch)

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Many of my favorites were mentioned already. Also worth checking out IMO: Cody McFadyen (he wrote a couple of great serial killer novels and then simply disappeared), Daniel Hecht (for some great 'neuropsychological noir' novels). Hugh Howey (Wool trilogy). Justin Cronin (The Passage trilogy).
    A few other great books I read not too long ago (based on recommendations here):

- Replay (Ken Grimwood)
    - Wayward Pines (Blake Crouch)
    - Dark Matter (Blake Crouch)
    I've been wanting to read more Blake Crouch. I loved the Wayward Pines trilogy. So Dark Matter was good then?

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

If I read The Sentinel first will it do anything to spoil or take away from 2001 if I decide to read it later?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast