Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Authors That Aren't Stephen King

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FennyBate View Post

If you like 'small town' stories, like King does so well, definitely check out Charles Grant's 'Oxrun Station' stories.
    I've been slowly making my way through each post and looking up authors' books on Goodreads to get a feel for the stories they write and, I have to say, Charles Grant's books really piqued my interest. I added The Pet and The Hour of the Oxrun Dead to my list.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I think I've asked this on the boards before, but is Dean Koontz any good? If so, what are some of his best books?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read a few Koontz, but I'm not a super-fan. They all kind of seem the same to me, so it's good when I want to read one of his, I know what to expect. Out of the ones I've read (Phantoms, Tick Tock, 77 Shadow Street, Lightning, Darkfall), Phantoms is my favorite. Good mystery and a good page-turner. I think you might like Lightning, though.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I've read a few Koontz, but I'm not a super-fan. They all kind of seem the same to me, so it's good when I want to read one of his, I know what to expect. Out of the ones I've read (Phantoms, Tick Tock, 77 Shadow Street, Lightning, Darkfall), Phantoms is my favorite. Good mystery and a good page-turner. I think you might like Lightning, though.
    I looked them up and they do sound pretty intriguing. I added Phantoms and Lightning to my "remember this later when you want something to read" list.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I really do like to test out all types of genres, whether it be sci-fi, suspense, adventure, romance, etc. If it's written well and sucks me in, I don't care what category it's in.
    Then you explore Joe Lansdale's body of work...it's unconstrained by label or genre, but is uniformly excellent.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I think I've asked this on the boards before, but is Dean Koontz any good? If so, what are some of his best books?
    You could try his Odd Thomas series. I also think you should give Christopher Moore a try - Lamb is a popular one to start with or maybe The Stupidest Angel, Fool or A Dirty Job.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I like early/mid Koontz: Strangers, Phantoms, Watchers, Lightning, Midnight, Twilight Eyes, and the Odd series.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I see Koontz being mentioned but no one brought up Robin Cook yet. Some good stuff from him, like Coma.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I see Koontz being mentioned but no one brought up Robin Cook yet. Some good stuff from him, like Coma.
    Oooo...Cook is a good one. I read Shock in law school and it totally freaked me out. Although as a woman, it might have hit me harder than it would a man. (It's about 2 women that donate eggs to an infertility clinic...maybe.) Foreign Body was good too.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I believe this is what is referred to as a double-header?

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

That cover brings back many memories for me. It was a big book back in the day and that UK paperback was everywhere.

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Definitely a change up from King, but Max Allan Collins is probably my favorite author. If you like private detective books based around real events, check out his Nate Heller series. Over the years he's been involved with Frank Nitti, Huey Long, Marilyn Monroe, the Kennedys, etc. He does a really good job of weaving real-life figures into his fiction.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I looked them up and they do sound pretty intriguing. I added Phantoms and Lightning to my "remember this later when you want something to read" list.
    If you like Fantasy, try The Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglass (just the 1st three)
    Also I recommend all three novels by Gillian Flynn. (Not fantasy)
    Donna Tartt only has three as well.. great storyteller.
    Speaking of authors of three(s) try all three of Khaled Hosseini.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some classics also should be mentioned: Theodore Dreiser, Sinclair Lewis, Booth Tarkington, F. Scott Fitzgerald, John Steinbeck, William Faulkner, Vladimir Nabokov.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    John R Little is one of my favorite authors and I don't see him mentioned often. He mostly writes short stories and novellas in the horror and dark fantasy genre.

If you're looking for short stories I recommend Little Things. Most of the stories in it are amazing, but Cruel Eyes and Placeholders were my favorites.

If you're looking for a novella I recommend The Memory Tree.
    Little By Little was so damned good that I had to start a book review blog to write about it. I've shut it down a long ago because people kept asking me to review their self-published wet dream attempts at writing but that's a different story.

Any of his books are a good start, really. He was nice enough to inscribe and mail me most of his in-print books.

Another former Bad Moon Books writer I like a lot is Gene O'Neill. Like Little, he's not hyped and there's not much talk about him but his output is consistent in both quality and quantity.

Now that I think of it, most of the Bad Moon Books roster is solid.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post

Then you explore Joe Lansdale's body of work...it's unconstrained by label or genre, but is uniformly excellent.
    +1. Lansdale is versatile and entertaining.
    Dan Simmons is very good and makes you work for it.
    Carl Hiaasen and Tim Dorsey are purveyors of humorous thrillers.
    For my money John Sandford (Lucas Davenport "Prey" series and Virgil Flowers novels) is the most consistent and enjoyable author I read.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And no one mentioned George RR Martin? Hmm. I'll throw in Neal Stephenson and Ken Liu. I like his Dandelion Dynasty series so far.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    And no one mentioned George RR Martin? Hmm. I'll throw in Neal Stephenson and Ken Liu. I like his Dandelion Dynasty series so far.
    Is Stephenson actually any good? I was at the store the other day and his books were every where. They even had lettered editions of his books there but i've never heard anything on him.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I grew up loving Frank W Dixon... wonder if anyone here knows right off who that even is. haha Anyways, now a days, I read so many different authors. Dan Simonds is for sure one of my new favs. Thanks to the guys n gals here I have really opened up my eyes to so many other good authors!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I grew up loving Frank W Dixon... wonder if anyone here knows right off who that even is.
    I have about 40 Franklin W. Dixon Hardy Boys books and loved reading them as a kid. Most of the stories I read in the late 60s/early 70s were revised versions done by Harriet Adams working off of originals written by Leslie McFarlane.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Amanda, how about Shirley Jackson? In these two years I've read her two big novels - twice each - and her two collections - twice each. She is incredible. I can't imagine a finer writing; subtle, witty, refined and disturbing on some level few writers can reach.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Amanda, how about Shirley Jackson? In these two years I've read her two big novels - twice each - and her two collections - twice each. She is incredible. I can't imagine a finer writing; subtle, witty, refined and disturbing on some level few writers can reach.
    I'll second that! Loved The Haunting of Hill House and the shorts I'd ready by her.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The Haunting of Hill House is a legitimately disturbing book. I had heard much praise for it but I had seen the movie (original and remake). I like the movie (original) but was not blown away by it. It's good but not great in my opinion. I gave the book a try and it deserves it's reputation. A deeply unsettling and upsetting masterpiece. I'm always reminding myself to read more of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I've had her on my "authors to check out" list for a while, but haven't gotten around to her yet.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    The Haunting of Hill House is a legitimately disturbing book. I had heard much praise for it but I had seen the movie (original and remake). I like the movie (original) but was not blown away by it. It's good but not great in my opinion. I gave the book a try and it deserves it's reputation. A deeply unsettling and upsetting masterpiece. I'm always reminding myself to read more of her.
    I loved the The Haunting from 1963. One of my favourite book to film adaptations. I haven't seen the 1999 since it came out, at the time I don't remember enjoying it, but I was pretty young then.

Also worth a read, and viewing, is Richard Matheson's Hell House. Kind of a re-imagining of Jackson's story. Both film and book are great.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast