Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence

12 52.17%
  • Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

11 47.83%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Great Music - Tournament Finals: Quarterfinals (Matchup 7 of 13)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Great Music - Tournament Finals: Quarterfinals (Matchup 7 of 13)

For this finals poll, please choose one track to move on to the next round.

IMPORTANT! Please do not simply vote on name recognition (or lack thereof) alone. Please do listen to each nomination and then make your choice. Even if you think you know a track well, it's still worth giving it a listen for a refresher.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence (1964)

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1971)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

HOW WE GOT HERE

Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence (1964)

Nominated by T-Dogz_AK47 on December 8, 2015.
    Seconded by Iwritecode on December 8, 2015.

In Round 1 it placed 1st in Group 6 (March 18-25, 2016):
    • Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence (1964) 82.35%
    • The Beatles - I Saw Her Standing There (1963) 76.47%
    • The Kingsmen - Louie Louie (1963) 76.47%
    • Barry Mann - Who Put the Bomp (In the Bomp, Bomp, Bomp) (1961) 52.94%
    • Sam Cooke - A Change is Gonna Come (1964) 52.94%
    • Otis Redding - These Arms of Mine (1962) 35.29%
    • B. Bumble & The Stingers - Bumble Boogie (1961) 23.53%

In Round 2 it placed 1st in Group 15 (May 9-16, 2016):
    • Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence (1964) 80.00%
    • The Contours - Do You Love Me (1962) 66.67%
    • Dion - Runaround Sue (1961) 60.00%
    • Elvis Presley - (You're the) Devil in Disguise (1963) 40.00%
    • Shelly Fabares - Johnny Angel (1962) 13.33%

In Round 3 it placed 1st in Group 10 (June 23-30, 2016):
    • Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence (1964) 81.25%
    • Ray Charles - Georgia on My Mind (1960) 43.75%
    • Etta James - At Last (1960) 31.25%
    • Jimmy Soul - If You Wanna Be Happy (1963) 31.25%

Entering the playoffs it was ranked 6th.

In Playoffs Round 2 it beat out The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight (1961) with 68.18% of the vote (September 28 - October 5, 2016).

In the Quarterfinals it beat out The Zombies - She's Not There (1964) with 73.91% of the vote (November 10-17, 2016).

In the Semifinals it beat out The Drifters - Under the Boardwalk (1964) with 90.48% of the vote (December 6-13, 2016).

In the Finals it beat out Ben E. King - Stand By Me (1961) with 54.55% of the vote (December 19-31, 2016).

Throughout the tournament it earned an average vote percentage of 75.82%, good for 1st out of 14.

Country
    Country Flag

HOW WE GOT HERE

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1971)

Nominated by fernandito on December 15, 2015.
    Seconded by Iwritecode on December 15, 2015.

In Round 1 it tied for 1st in Group 14 (March 25 - April 1, 2016):
    • Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1971) 73.68%
    • The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It) (1974) 73.68%
    • Black Sabbath - Iron Man (1970) 68.42%
    • David Bowie - Suffragette City (1972) 52.63%
    • The Doors - Roadhouse Blues (1970) 52.63%
    • Van Morrison - Moondance (1970) 47.37%
    • The Hollies - The Air That I Breathe (1974) 31.58%

In Round 2 it placed 1st in Group 16 (May 13-20, 2016):
    • Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1971) 75.00%
    • The Temptations - Papa Was a Rollin' Stone (1972) 50.00%
    • The Doobie Brothers - Black Water (1974) 50.00%
    • Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Mr. Bojangles (1970) 50.00%
    • Lou Reed - Perfect Day (1972) 25.00%

In Round 3 it placed 1st in Group 8 (June 29 - July 6, 2016):
    • Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1971) 77.78%
    • Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine (1971) 44.44%
    • The Doors - L.A. Woman (1971) 38.89%
    • The Who - Baba O'Riley (1971) 33.33%

Entering the playoffs it was ranked 6th.

In Playoffs Round 2 it beat out Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water (1970) with 65.22% of the vote (October 4-11, 2016).

In the Quarterfinals it beat out Aerosmith - Dream On (1973) with 57.14% of the vote (November 12-19, 2016).

In the Semifinals it beat out Don McLean - American Pie (1971) with 57.14% of the vote (December 7-14, 2016).

In the Finals it beat out Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama (1974) with 52.17% of the vote (December 19-31, 2016).

Throughout the tournament it earned an average vote percentage of 65.45%, good for 9th out of 14.

In the Tournament Finals Round 2 it beat out The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' (1966) with 61.90% of the vote (January 9-16, 2017).

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Zeppelin baby.

Country
    Country Flag

Now that "California Dreamin'" is out, "The Sound of Silence" is it for me.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Stairway To Heaven
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello Darkness my old friend.

Country
    Country Flag

"The Sound of Silence" ranked first overall after the playoffs. Just sayin'.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Stairway!!!!!!!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The Sound of Silence
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Does anyone else picture Will Ferrell tumbling senselessly into a swimming pool when hearing/reading these words?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Voted Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence (1964)

Country
    Country Flag

Just three votes back now

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    "The Sound of Silence" ranked first overall after the playoffs. Just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Voted Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence (1964)
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Just three votes back now

Give me a fucking break, please!!!! Simon & whodafuck? Really? Sounds of Silence over "Stairway"? Get a grip people!!!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Need more action up in here!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I voted Stairway.

I remember one time when I was probably around 12 or 13 and just starting to get more interested in music. I was with a group of my friends and family at a haunted house for my birthday. We walked into one room and my friend goes, "Hey! They are playing Stairway!" So we both sat down on the couch in the middle of the room and starting listening to the song instead of going through the rest of the house.

Then my other friend flopped down on a nearby mattress and accidentally squished one of the "monsters" that was hiding under it. All we heard was "Ah! get off me!"

It was an old resort that ended up burning down a few years later. But it was one of the best haunted houses I ever went through.

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Now just two back!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Simon and Garfunkel are in completely different league over Led Zeppelin, it shouldn't even be close!

Voted for The Sound of Silence.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I cannot vote.

I'm like a deer in the deadlights.

WTF to do.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

if someone ties them now...

(oh good Lord, no!!!!!!!)

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The sound of silence!

Country
    Country Flag

oooh no!! now I wish someone would tie them back!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I voted for Stairway.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I voted Stairway also.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast