Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: General Discussion of the NFL

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Ring a bell?
    Yes, and nice work finding the video, but unfortunately it's so blurry that I can't quite make out the "crazy" or whatever gave me that impression.
    I was going to post it last night, but the quality was so bad I decided to dig deeper but then I got distracted.

Speaking of Fridge, I had his G.I. Joe. Wasn't as fat as it should have been.
    When I was in high school, the company that made his Superbowl ring came in so we could order our class rings. They had either his actual ring, or a replica of it, that we were allowed to touch and hold. The thing was so big it nearly fit on me as a bracelet.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger Apprentice Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah, the Motor City. Don't complain too much, you did have Barry Sanders to marvel at, and then Calvin Johnson. Some teams don't even get that.
    I moved to metro Detroit the year the Lions drafted Calvin Johnson and watching Megatron play was a thing of beauty. Players like him give me a true appreciation for the game, and they are why I can look past all the ridiculous NFL politics and still love he sport of football. It's too just bad he retired early, not that I can blame him at all, as I'm sure Matt Stafford shaved years off that poor man's life.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post
    Ah, the Motor City. Don't complain too much, you did have Barry Sanders to marvel at, and then Calvin Johnson. Some teams don't even get that.
    I moved to metro Detroit the year the Lions drafted Calvin Johnson and watching Megatron play was a thing of beauty. Players like him give me a true appreciation for the game, and they are why I can look past all the ridiculous NFL politics and still love he sport of football. It's too just bad he retired early, not that I can blame him at all, as I'm sure Matt Stafford shaved years off that poor man's life.
    Amari Spievey went to my high school. He was drafted by the Lions, played DB, but his career got derailed by injuries.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Amari Spievey went to my high school. He was drafted by the Lions, played DB, but his career got derailed by injuries.
    Not football related, but I played basketball against Patrick Ewing in high school. He killed us. Swatted one of my shots into the stands.

Gunslinger Apprentice Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Not football related, but I played basketball against Patrick Ewing in high school. He killed us. Swatted one of my shots into the stands.
    Oh yeah, I remember Spievey. And that's super awesome about Patrick Ewing.

As a woman I never got to play against any famous professional athletes 'back in the day'....Although senior year in high school I totally hit a home run off a chick who went to University of Wisconsin on a full ride for softball though. Badger Badger Badger.

I did have a funny moment a few years back though when I was watching baseball on TV and I recognized a pitcher on the Cubs. I was an Athletic Training major at Illinois State and was placed with the baseball team one spring. Of course I was super professional back then so I didn't make it my business to be super buddy buddy with the players (plus I was kinda socially awkward at 19 years old and they were all very....adult and manly and good looking and intimidating in a way) but I guess you could call them work acquaintances. Anyway, I'm watching baseball on TV and I was just like..."hey, I know that guy, that's Neal Cotts. I gave him ice for his shoulder sometimes."

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah, I remember Spievey. And that's super awesome about Patrick Ewing.

As a woman I never got to play against any famous professional athletes 'back in the day'....Although senior year in high school I totally hit a home run off a chick who went to University of Wisconsin on a full ride for softball though. Badger Badger Badger.

I did have a funny moment a few years back though when I was watching baseball on TV and I recognized a pitcher on the Cubs. I was an Athletic Training major at Illinois State and was placed with the baseball team one spring. Of course I was super professional back then so I didn't make it my business to be super buddy buddy with the players (plus I was kinda socially awkward at 19 years old and they were all very....adult and manly and good looking and intimidating in a way) but I guess you could call them work acquaintances. Anyway, I'm watching baseball on TV and I was just like..."hey, I know that guy, that's Neal Cotts. I gave him ice for his shoulder sometimes."
    Patrick Ewing was the shit! He must have been a freak of nature in high school.

I remember Neal Cotts! Lefty reliever I believe. Decent career.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

You are correct, Mikey.

My college bestie's boyfriend was a carbon copy of him. So behind closed doors we called him Keith #2.
    Wraine of Pints N Quarters Gaming!

Check us out - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHY...g3rAGIp615zLtA

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

What bothers me is the "they" attachment to so many comments. Maybe it's a generational thing. As a life-long fan from the New England area, I'd be happy to talk about football. I am 54 years old, so believe me, I know the sting of disappointment. I grew up watching Steve Grogan, John Hannah, and the like in the 1970s. Things were often so bad that I had to root for other teams: the Roger Staubach Cowboys, the Jim Zorn and Steve Largent Seahawks, and the Dan Fouts Chargers were favorites of mine. I still remember the sting of seeng a former Patriot, Jim Plunket lead the Raiders to their Super Bowl Championship in 1981 (over the Eagles - hahaha). I finally got my first taste of a Super Bowl in 1986, and we were soundly beaten by the Chicago Bears and their vaunted 46 defense - remember the Refrigerator? Then I waited another 11 years to get back, to get beaten by Farvre in a game where our coach Bill Parcels had one foot out the door on his way to the rival Jets - I'll never forgive him! At least I thought I wouldn't. Bill Bilichick backstabbed the Jets and orchestrated his release/trade to the Patriots, and well, history was made. I paid my dues, and yes, I am living the life right now. Like all things it will come to an end.

So nice to hear a reference to Jim Zorn and Representative Largent! I too enjoyed watching Dan Fouts, Charlie Joyner...Jefferson and that tight end...what a team!!

Dear God please make Barry Sanders play again and heal Darren Sproles.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

What bothers me is the "they" attachment to so many comments. Maybe it's a generational thing. As a life-long fan from the New England area, I'd be happy to talk about football. I am 54 years old, so believe me, I know the sting of disappointment. I grew up watching Steve Grogan, John Hannah, and the like in the 1970s. Things were often so bad that I had to root for other teams: the Roger Staubach Cowboys, the Jim Zorn and Steve Largent Seahawks, and the Dan Fouts Chargers were favorites of mine. I still remember the sting of seeng a former Patriot, Jim Plunket lead the Raiders to their Super Bowl Championship in 1981 (over the Eagles - hahaha). I finally got my first taste of a Super Bowl in 1986, and we were soundly beaten by the Chicago Bears and their vaunted 46 defense - remember the Refrigerator? Then I waited another 11 years to get back, to get beaten by Farvre in a game where our coach Bill Parcels had one foot out the door on his way to the rival Jets - I'll never forgive him! At least I thought I wouldn't. Bill Bilichick backstabbed the Jets and orchestrated his release/trade to the Patriots, and well, history was made. I paid my dues, and yes, I am living the life right now. Like all things it will come to an end.

So nice to hear a reference to Jim Zorn and Representative Largent! I too enjoyed watching Dan Fouts, Charlie Joyner...Jefferson and that tight end...what a team!!

Dear God please make Barry Sanders play again and heal Darren Sproles.
    That Chargers-Miami playoff game in 1982 is one of the most vivid memories I have as to how exciting football can be. Kellen Winslow was a man among kids - can't remember how many times he had to be carried off. What a game. Of course, since then I have had the luxury of some more satisfying wins with my Patriots, but that playoff game made me an NFL fan for life.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes.. a game i remember but I was sooo torn. I love those Chargers but at the time they were in the same division with my Seahawks!!

Isn't one of Windslow's boys in the NFL now? A coach??
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Go Patriots !!

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Off to work... back by 9:30pm GMT few beers and a Patriots win... cant wait!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Yes.. a game i remember but I was sooo torn. I love those Chargers but at the time they were in the same division with my Seahawks!!

Isn't one of Windslow's boys in the NFL now? A coach??
    He was a player. I think he was drafted by Tampa in 2005 or 2006? He played one game for the Pats in 2012. Tried a comeback in 2016, but I don't think it worked out.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Predictions:
    Im gonna go Pats by 7-12...

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

So, this game is proving to be a lot more interesting than i expected!!!

Those extra points though!

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Lot of points left on the table - very fun first half
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh. Snap.

For the record....I felt the Clement touchdown should have been overturned and that the Ertz touchdown was clearly good. But man, what a game. My hat's off to the Eagles and especially Nick Foles. Yowza.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Foles played great - an exciting game for sure. Came down to the wire - the whole family enjoyed the game
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Country
    Country Flag

Crying in my coffee this morning...

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think a lot of people are...

One punt the entire game. I mean, how crazy is that?

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I think a lot of people are...

One punt the entire game. I mean, how crazy is that?
    Well, a lot of people in one small part of the country. Everyone else is pretty happy.

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

One punt the entire game.
    That's what ineffective D gets you!

I thought it betrayed a strangely shallow view of the game of football when the announcers said something like "what a great game this has been, there's only been one punt" - good football games have offense and defense, not just running up and down the field racking up points.

I know some prefer high scoring games, but even when my team wins them, it feels cheesy. Of course, I'm not trying to take anything away from the Eagles' win - they got the job done, and that's all that counts.

Congrats to the Eagles, who played very well, and to Philly, a great sports city.

Unfortunately I expect Brady to be blamed for this, when really I think it was the NE defense that did very little when it mattered.

My main disappointment for the night was learning that the Eagles' jerseys weren't actually green. When we put the game on, my daughter remarked on their cool helmets, and I said something like "yes, I've always liked their dark green jerseys." She said, no, they are teal. I told her she was crazy, then stared at the screen and had to admit they looked just a bit teal instead of the dark green I'd always remembered. Then I thought, maybe it's the cameras - earlier in the day I'd watched my Celtics play the Portland Trailblazers, whose uniforms were mostly red - except for when viewed through certain cameras, when they appeared orange.

So I went to the internet and discovered that every single site confirmed that the Eagles wore green. Ha! Vindication! But the more specific sites said it was something called "midnight green," which, upon further research, is actually defined as a dark form of cyan, which ultimately is...blue. WTF.

Any Eagles fans (or other general football diehards) out there who can confirm my (now suspect) memories of true dark green Eagles jerseys?
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't believe that map one bit.... especially considering Brady is a Michigan grad. He's got a lot of support here.

Besides, that's a betting site. Of course people were putting money on the Eagles. They aren't gong to win anything betting on New England.

Actually, anyone know what the over/under (48 ) and points spread (Patriots 4.5 favorite) was on the game last night? I bet some of the prop betting was craaaaaazy.

EDIT: Because I looked that stuff up.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    One punt the entire game.
    That's what ineffective D gets you!

I thought it betrayed a strangely shallow view of the game of football when the announcers said something like "what a great game this has been, there's only been one punt" - good football games have offense and defense, not just running up and down the field racking up points.

I know some prefer high scoring games, but even when my team wins them, it feels cheesy. Of course, I'm not trying to take anything away from the Eagles' win - they got the job done, and that's all that counts.

Congrats to the Eagles, who played very well, and to Philly, a great sports city.

Unfortunately I expect Brady to be blamed for this, when really I think it was the NE defense that did very little when it mattered.

My main disappointment for the night was learning that the Eagles' jerseys weren't actually green. When we put the game on, my daughter remarked on their cool helmets, and I said something like "yes, I've always liked their dark green jerseys." She said, no, they are teal. I told her she was crazy, then stared at the screen and had to admit they looked just a bit teal instead of the dark green I'd always remembered. Then I thought, maybe it's the cameras - earlier in the day I'd watched my Celtics play the Portland Trailblazers, whose uniforms were mostly red - except for when viewed through certain cameras, when they appeared orange.

So I went to the internet and discovered that every single site confirmed that the Eagles wore green. Ha! Vindication! But the more specific sites said it was something called "midnight green," which, upon further research, is actually defined as a dark form of cyan, which ultimately is...blue. WTF.

Any Eagles fans (or other general football diehards) out there who can confirm my (now suspect) memories of true dark green Eagles jerseys?
    I agree with you about the announcers, Troy. They really glazed over that whole lack of defense thing entirely which was obnoxious. I mean, I give it up to the Eagles, because they did the one thing that could get them the win (which the Jaguar's couldn't do)...they kept their foot on the gas the entire game. But that turnover was the only defensive play the ENTIRE GAME. It was exciting and all that, but I feel a good defensive game is far more satisfying.

Also, I could have strangled Cris Collinsworth at one point when he was talking about the Eagles 'controversial' touchdowns. As I said before, I agree, the Clement TD could have gone both ways. Honestly, I was shocked they didn't call it back, especially after some of the calls they have made earlier in the season in the same exact same situation. As far as I was concerned, he never gained control of the ball, therefore he didn't 'complete the process', therefore it wasn't a touchdown, yadda yadda yadda. Okay, so I get it, Collinsworth was shocked they didn't call it back. But then during the Zach Ertz touchdown, he acted like he's never seen a 'football move' before and was again SHOCKED they didn't reverse the call. He basically threw up his hands on air and said he had no idea what the NFL is doing. Which, had the call been that bad, I might have gotten on board with him. But it wasn't. And as someone from the midwest who constantly hears about Troy Aikman's biased announcing (Packers fans HATE him) I was just like dude, who sounds biased now. I get it, the NFL needs to review some of their rules, try to keep it in your pants though.

Oh, and did anyone else hear Rodney Harrison put Tom Brady on blast right before the half time show started? That whole, "When Tom Brady gets hit he turns into an AVERAGE quarterback", remark he made? Whoa baby.

And don't ever call Lions jerseys 'light blue' around here. It's MALIBU BLUE OKAY?! I am pretty sure you're right though, and looking at some of the throwback jersey styles, some look very very green. But...they say 'midnight green'. So, maybe not?

I did find this, even if it doesn't state the exact COLOR of the jerseys. http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/eagles.shtml They look super kelly green to me though.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

lol...speaking of prop bets. I think this is my favorite:

How many times will Trump tweet on Super Bowl Sunday?

The over/under is set at 5

I can't actually find the answer to that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast