Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: General Discussion of the NFL

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post
    ...choked on Tom Brady's wife's huge penis...
    This is hysterical, and I can't even guess at the thought process that led to such a comment.

Gunslinger Apprentice Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    ...choked on Tom Brady's wife's huge penis...
    This is hysterical, and I can't even guess at the thought process that led to such a comment.
    Well, I figure someone has to have a penis in that relationship....but its certainly not Tom.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Yes.. my point.. an entire game with no holding penalties on an "O" line?? Figure those odds...watch an NFL game in week 4 or 7 or 9 ect.

LOL... and NASCAR is fake...LOL
    You're completely on the mark. Nobody is perfect. It's literally an impossibility that the Patriots didn't commit another penalty at some point during the game, yet there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Games like yesterday are the reason I hate the fucking Pats. They're good enough, they don't need that little extra push by the refs.

What about that Delay of game penalty that was called AFTER the Jags had already converted the 1st down? Shit like that drives me nuts.

And yes, 1 penalty called against them when Jags D were getting flagged for similar infractions is infuriating.
    You mean the delay of game that they never showed a replay of? I rewound it, I personally don't see what they're talking about.

I live smack dab in the middle of Connecticut and I can honestly tell you I never met a Patriots fan until the year 2000. Many of them never watched a football game before Brady. Growing up here it was all Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, 49ers and Steelers fans. One of my best friends has never missed a game Brady has played in and he still doesn't know the difference between a defensive lineman and a linebacker. No joke. Their fans are the biggest front runners in sports. Believe me, I've seen it first hand.

With ALL that being said, I can't root for the Eagles. Their fan base is disgusting. They act like they've won shit and they have won dick squat since 1960.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gunslinger Apprentice Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Philly fans boo Santa Claus...

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    They act like they've won shit and they have won dick squat since 1960.
    Is there a difference between shit and dick squat?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I live smack dab in the middle of Connecticut...Growing up here it was all Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, 49ers and Steelers fans...Their fans are the biggest front runners in sports.
    You don't get Cowboy, 49er or Steeler fans in Connecticut unless they are bandwagon/frontrunner fans (you could get Eagles fans, as Philly ain't that far away, and you could get Giants fans, as many in Connecticut wish they lived in NY and assume fanhoods consistent with that). I still remember all the Bronco "fans" we had (near Boston) when Elway entered the NFL...

I'm not saying the Pats fans you've known weren't frontrunners - I have no reason to doubt you and the statement does not offend me - I'm just saying you should have been used to it, living (as you did) in a sporting no-man's-land.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

FWIW, I think Philly is a great sports city; I have nothing against Eagle fans.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know about the fans, but I do like many of the Eagles players.

Carson Wentz is a stand up dude. I'd cheer his team (even if he's not playing) any day of the week.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

24 years and counting as a season ticket holder. I got home from the game around 8:30 PM, with my new conference champs hat that I purchased on the way out of the stadium. Each comeback gets sweeter and sweeter.

The hate, the vitriol, the conspiracy theorists, I just love it. Call us bandwagon jumpers (a bit of an oxymoron given the longevity of success), call us BLEEPING what-evers (your limited vocabulary, no doubt, goes hand in hand with your IQ), call us whatever you want, but deep down, you wish you were us. The reign is no doubt nearing its end, but until it does, just keep on hating.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I absolutely admit that I'm envious of the Patriots long running success. I mean, I'm a Lions fan. The only people who can truly understand the love hate relationship I have with my team are Browns fans. Sorry guys. :-(

The only thing I dislike about Pats fans who are actually from the New England area is that they tend to be impossible to talk to about football. Because all they know is how good things can be, where as the rest of us know the harsh sting of seemingly endless disappointment. So rather than try to understand where we coming from with our vitriol and hate (not necessarily solely geared at them, but also at the ineptitude of our organizations....*cough*LIONS*cough*), they cackle manically and make videos about how much Roger Goodell hates them and Bill Belichick and call the rest of us stupid.

So yeah. There's that.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Although, I'm kinda stoked about getting Ogre as our new head coach!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I live smack dab in the middle of Connecticut...Growing up here it was all Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, 49ers and Steelers fans...Their fans are the biggest front runners in sports.
    You don't get Cowboy, 49er or Steeler fans in Connecticut unless they are bandwagon/frontrunner fans (you could get Eagles fans, as Philly ain't that far away, and you could get Giants fans, as many in Connecticut wish they lived in NY and assume fanhoods consistent with that). I still remember all the Bronco "fans" we had (near Boston) when Elway entered the NFL...

I'm not saying the Pats fans you've known weren't frontrunners - I have no reason to doubt you and the statement does not offend me - I'm just saying you should have been used to it, living (as you did) in a sporting no-man's-land.
    Most people who live in CT don't wish they lived in NY. I can assure you of that. The lower half of the state is so close to NY, it's natural for many people to follow the New York teams. For baseball, if you live in the northern half of the state, you're typically a Red Sox fan. If you live in the southern half, you're a Yankees fan. There are a select few who choose to follow the Mets for some reason.

My point is that for most of my life nobody was rooting for the Patriots here. I'm sure they had their pockets of fans, but it wasn't until they got good that anybody cared. If you didn't like the Giants, you found a team from another state to root for. There are almost as many Jets fans here as Giants fans and they haven't won shit. Football more than any other sport is not as regional as you would think. Go to any bar on a Sunday and you will see jerseys from every team represented. Obviously this is going to vary depending on where you live, but there are pockets of fans for all teams everywhere in country.

I absolutely admit that I'm envious of the Patriots long running success. I mean, I'm a Lions fan. The only people who can truly understand the love hate relationship I have with my team are Browns fans. Sorry guys. :-(

The only thing I dislike about Pats fans who are actually from the New England area is that they tend to be impossible to talk to about football. Because all they know is how good things can be, where as the rest of us know the harsh sting of seemingly endless disappointment. So rather than try to understand where we coming from with our vitriol and hate (not necessarily solely geared at them, but also at the ineptitude of our organizations....*cough*LIONS*cough*), they cackle manically and make videos about how much Roger Goodell hates them and Bill Belichick and call the rest of us stupid.

So yeah. There's that.
    The problem with most New England Patriots fans in CT that I know is that you literally can't talk football with them. Their knowledge is very basic. They can barely tell you what teams are in their Division, let alone their Conference. This is not all, but it's sure a decent amount.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...all they know is how good things can be, where as the rest of us know the harsh sting of seemingly endless disappointment...
    Don't forget, many Pats fans are also Red Sox fans who remember the pre-2004 days; we know the dark side intimately (although I suspect college-age and younger Pats fans may have a less charitable and more insufferable attitude).

My message to any fan whose team is on a prolonged multiyear cold streak: chin up, dig in, back your guys, enjoy the next game and be ready when the turnaround comes. Our Celtics went 22 years between titles, the Bruins 40 years (I think), the Sox 250 years or whatever it was, and for the Pats, we just never thought we'd get there. Hope isn't just a cliche - it's real.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

There are a select few who choose to follow the Mets for some reason.
    "...for some reason" - hysterical.

I don't think I'd be able to follow any team that borrowed its colors from bags of circus peanuts, but hey, that's just me.

...it wasn't until they got good that anybody cared.
    Winning seems to have that effect.

The tide will eventually recede and will pick up somewhere else when the Belichick era runs out, and you'll be looking at a bunch of Lions or Ravens jerseys etc.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Nom nom nom...
    Circus peanuts.

Citizen of Gilead SpaceMaN has a spectacular aura about SpaceMaN has a spectacular aura about SpaceMaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love how everyone pronouns themselves onto the teams.

1970 and counting. I wasn't even born.
    "I wish they'd just wipe out humanity and get it over with. It's the waiting I can't stand." -Fry
    "I know we can't all stay here forever, so I want to write my words on the face of today." -Blind Melon

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

There are a select few who choose to follow the Mets for some reason.
    "...for some reason" - hysterical.

I don't think I'd be able to follow any team that borrowed its colors from bags of circus peanuts, but hey, that's just me.
    Is that true?

I was always under the assumption the Mets took their colors from the Giants and Dodgers - two New York teams that left for California. The blue was for the Dodgers and the orange for the Giants. I don't remember where, but I could have sworn I read that. I've never heard the peanuts theory before, but that seems even funnier.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

So yeah. There's that.
    What bothers me is the "they" attachment to so many comments. Maybe it's a generational thing. As a life-long fan from the New England area, I'd be happy to talk about football. I am 54 years old, so believe me, I know the sting of disappointment. I grew up watching Steve Grogan, John Hannah, and the like in the 1970s. Things were often so bad that I had to root for other teams: the Roger Staubach Cowboys, the Jim Zorn and Steve Largent Seahawks, and the Dan Fouts Chargers were favorites of mine. I still remember the sting of seeng a former Patriot, Jim Plunket lead the Raiders to their Super Bowl Championship in 1981 (over the Eagles - hahaha). I finally got my first taste of a Super Bowl in 1986, and we were soundly beaten by the Chicago Bears and their vaunted 46 defense - remember the Refrigerator? Then I waited another 11 years to get back, to get beaten by Farvre in a game where our coach Bill Parcels had one foot out the door on his way to the rival Jets - I'll never forgive him! At least I thought I wouldn't. Bill Bilichick backstabbed the Jets and orchestrated his release/trade to the Patriots, and well, history was made. I paid my dues, and yes, I am living the life right now. Like all things it will come to an end.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Is that true?

I was always under the assumption the Mets took their colors from the Giants and Dodgers - two New York teams that left for California. The blue was for the Dodgers and the orange for the Giants. I don't remember where, but I could have sworn I read that. I've never heard the peanuts theory before, but that seems even funnier.
    My circus peanut comment wasn't a serious theory so much as I noticed the commonality. I do think the colors look awful together (NY Knicks, I haven't forgotten you).

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Bill Bilichick backstabbed the Jets and orchestrated his release/trade to the Patriots...
    You sound like a Pats fan with a long and deep memory - let me ask you about something:

My recollection of the press conference in which BB dumped the Jets is that he looked like a mental case: messed up hair, scrunched up face etc. (not that he ever handsomely beams from the podium, but this was noticeably worse than usual); I remember thinking, "this guy is going to run our team?" Does this sound right to you?

I would dearly love to find a clip of this on YouTube etc. but have never been able to find it.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Bill Bilichick backstabbed the Jets and orchestrated his release/trade to the Patriots...
    You sound like a Pats fan with a long and deep memory - let me ask you about something:

My recollection of the press conference in which BB dumped the Jets is that he looked like a mental case: messed up hair, scrunched up face etc. (not that he ever handsomely beams from the podium, but this was noticeably worse than usual); I remember thinking, "this guy is going to run our team?" Does this sound right to you?

I would dearly love to find a clip of this on YouTube etc. but have never been able to find it.
    Ring a bell?

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

What bothers me is the "they" attachment to so many comments. Maybe it's a generational thing. As a life-long fan from the New England area, I'd be happy to talk about football. I am 54 years old, so believe me, I know the sting of disappointment. I grew up watching Steve Grogan, John Hannah, and the like in the 1970s. Things were often so bad that I had to root for other teams: the Roger Staubach Cowboys, the Jim Zorn and Steve Largent Seahawks, and the Dan Fouts Chargers were favorites of mine. I still remember the sting of seeng a former Patriot, Jim Plunket lead the Raiders to their Super Bowl Championship in 1981 (over the Eagles - hahaha). I finally got my first taste of a Super Bowl in 1986, and we were soundly beaten by the Chicago Bears and their vaunted 46 defense - remember the Refrigerator? Then I waited another 11 years to get back, to get beaten by Farvre in a game where our coach Bill Parcels had one foot out the door on his way to the rival Jets - I'll never forgive him! At least I thought I wouldn't. Bill Bilichick backstabbed the Jets and orchestrated his release/trade to the Patriots, and well, history was made. I paid my dues, and yes, I am living the life right now. Like all things it will come to an end.
    Of course I remember William Perry....I was born/raised in Illinois after all. And I'm certainly no spring chicken (I'll be 39 in June).

And thanks Doc, I wasn't so sure about you at first. But as the kids say, it's all good in the hood.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ring a bell?
    Yes, and nice work finding the video, but unfortunately it's so blurry that I can't quite make out the "crazy" or whatever gave me that impression.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ring a bell?
    Yes, and nice work finding the video, but unfortunately it's so blurry that I can't quite make out the "crazy" or whatever gave me that impression.
    I was going to post it last night, but the quality was so bad I decided to dig deeper but then I got distracted.

Speaking of Fridge, I had his G.I. Joe. Wasn't as fat as it should have been.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Of course I remember William Perry....I was born/raised in Illinois after all. And I'm certainly no spring chicken (I'll be 39 in June).

And thanks Doc, I wasn't so sure about you at first. But as the kids say, it's all good in the hood.
    Ah, the Motor City. Don't complain too much, you did have Barry Sanders to marvel at, and then Calvin Johnson. Some teams don't even get that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast