Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion of the NFL

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, in all honesty, they aren't big football fans. The ones that know their stuff acknowledge that Atlanta bears some responsibility. There are so many more frontrunners here in CT than where you are I'm sure. I have a few friends growing up that switched to the Pats when they started winning. One grew up a Jets fan the other a Jags.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Falcons failed to execute and handle the pressure, sure...but the herd-approved notion that the audience suddenly assumed coaching abilities superior to those of any team that loses a lead remains hogwash.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    The Falcons failed to execute and handle the pressure, sure...but the herd-approved notion that the audience suddenly assumed coaching abilities superior to those of any team that loses a lead remains hogwash.
    So every decision an NFL coach makes is the correct one?

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post

I hate to disagree. I am no Pats fan at all but this team always seems to produce semi-stars out of no names. This is the essence of coaching skills.

Either that or they are good at scouting new talent...perhaps a mix of both. Either way that is done by coaches/management.

In this era of salary caps it is difficult to keep a high caliber team together but the Pats put one together most every season.

There is a good reason "the herd" goes to the water hole...water is effective.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So true. No coach on the planet gets more out of less talent than BB.

That's not to say that the players he configures his team with don't have talent, it's just a different kind of talent. The NFL values 40 times, height, bench press and other measurables way too much. Give me good football players. Give me guys who listen, who play hard, who are super competitive. Guys who are hard workers off the field, who do the small things. Receivers that run good routes. Defensive players that tackle with the correct technique instead of looking for the big hit.

The Pats love bringing in coachable guys. Once that's done, they have great coaches to do the rest. I'm shocked more teams haven't been able to mimic this template. It's obviously tougher than I just made it seem.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes Still ...we used to call it "hustle."

But I suspect it is more than BB. He must have other good coaches/trainers/management that know how to...

1.recognize a work ethic

2.motivate.

Collectively we call this "leadership.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

One of the worst things about the NFL is how precious they've gotten about what is considered a catch. I certainly wasn't rooting for the Steelers last night, but man, that there is any definition of "catch" that excludes the Jesse James (that's really your name? really?) catch near the end is effing ridiculous.

(To clarify: it was a proper call of an insane rule/definition).
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Gunslinger Apprentice Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

It's not like the poor guy named himself...lol

And as a Lion's fan, I know all about 'completing the process'.

I think my biggest issue this year is the emergence of the whole fumbling out of bounds through the endzone automatically results in a touchback rule. Any rule that only serves to curb dramatic, gutsy plays should not be allowed, IMO. And, perhaps not so surprisingly, that happened against the Patriots as well, and resulted in a reverse of a touchdown for Austin Sefarian Jenkins. The Jets went on to lose that game by one touchdown. Go figure. :-P

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My guideline is "if you didn't drop it, you caught it."

There's also some weird unsportsmanlike conduct rule that came into play a few years ago when a NE player bumped into another NE player (not something that gains an advantage, a "whoops" in the backfield), thereby voiding a successful field goal.

Gunslinger Apprentice Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Crazy how that works, eh?!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm all for a common sense rule. Sometimes you have to just use your brain and throw actual rules out the window. Regardless, James' hand was still under the ball. I still don't see where it hit the ground.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm all for a common sense rule. Sometimes you have to just use your brain and throw actual rules out the window. Regardless, James' hand was still under the ball. I still don't see where it hit the ground.
    I don't have a dog in this fight either way since I don't really watch football, but that ball totally hit the ground.

https://twitter.com/NFLFootballOps/s...764480/video/1
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Sure, the ball "hit" the ground (I would say "touched") but why in God's name, given that a pair of hands working together can not cover the entirety of a football's surface, does it matter if part of a ball clutched between two hands happens to touch the ground? Insanity.

I've heard some explanations of this play where they say "the plane (goal line) doesn't become a factor until the player with the ball becomes a runner." The whole "becoming a runner" conversation is one of the dumbest things in the NFL...but maybe not as dumb as saying that the plane (the single most important thing on the field) doesn't become a factor until something else happens. Holy shit this is all so dumb.

Funny to get so worked up about a play that went against a team I'd never root for in a game I didn't even see. (And don't get me started on continuation, initiation of contact, or the planting of a defender's feet in the NBA).

I've seen plenty of touchdowns where the player was practically running for the tunnel to leave the field but waved the ball in the general direction of the pylon and - TOUCHDOWN! Sure it is.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Naw... he controlled the ball...broke the plane of the goal line...end of play..Touchdown.

The key here is that he broke the plane of the goal line....end of play. That precedent is already set... bad call.

No folded index card needed. LOL
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Of course the Patriots picked up James Harrison when he was dropped from the Steelers.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Of course the Patriots picked up James Harrison when he was dropped from the Steelers.
    Yup!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Well..the Pats are struggling...LOL.

I think this was a matter of depriving their rival of his talent.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Two sacks and a forced fumble for James Harrison - nice late season addition for the Pats!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I have never had an issue with N.E. I am also aware that "you can call holding on most any play." But there was only one holding call against N.E. and that was on a kick return. In a game that close...SMFH

I saw a whole lot of holding by the N.E."O" line and many on key plays...including N.E.'s last first down.

Not sour grapes... just an observation.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I have never had an issue with N.E. I am also aware that "you can call holding on most any play." But there was only one holding call against N.E. and that was on a kick return. In a game that close...SMFH

I saw a whole lot of holding by the N.E."O" line and many on key plays...including N.E.'s last first down.

I'm a Giants fan, so I have nothing against the Pats. Every time they win it makes the Giants look that much better. That said, I counted 6 holding penalties on the Pats offensive line that weren't called. Brady has such a great relationship with the refs that it really works in his favor in spots like that.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

I'm a Giants fan, so I have nothing against the Pats. Every time they win it makes the Giants look that much better. That said, I counted 6 holding penalties on the Pats offensive line that weren't called. Brady has such a great relationship with the refs that it really works in his favor in spots like that.
    Yes.. my point.. an entire game with no holding penalties on an "O" line?? Figure those odds...watch an NFL game in week 4 or 7 or 9 ect.

LOL... and NASCAR is fake...LOL

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I noticed that in the Vikings/Eagles game a fight developed and several of the Eagles cheerleaders ran onto the field and right close to the fight. I think this was early in the fourth quarter. Interesting psychology.

All broke right up!!

They didn't want to take a chance of hurting the girls.

I have seen this at the prison at work

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Games like yesterday are the reason I hate the fucking Pats. They're good enough, they don't need that little extra push by the refs.

What about that Delay of game penalty that was called AFTER the Jags had already converted the 1st down? Shit like that drives me nuts.

And yes, 1 penalty called against them when Jags D were getting flagged for similar infractions is infuriating.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can’t wait to see how the refs will get involved on pats side for Super Bowl....and yes I’m from philly so there’s my bias
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Let me preface this by saying I hate the Patriots.

I mean....I HATE them. And Tom Brady, regardless of the fact that he's a Michigan grad. And all their slap happy bandwagon fans like my brother in law, who grew up in Illinois during the Bears hay day and still blows the Patriots every single year. It's...infuriating.

But the Jaguars are the ones who lost that game yesterday. Ref issues or not, their 'legendary defense' went pussy mode prevent defense in the 3rd quarter and choked on Tom Brady's wife's huge penis and they totally screwed the pooch. I'm also sick to death of people pretending like Rob Gronkowski is the only guy on that team who can score. NEED I REMIND EVERYONE, he didn't even play in the immaculate comeback last year. So you got dudes like Brandin Cooks (yes, lets leave HIM open) and Amendola eating up 10 or 15 yards a play, allowing the Pats to march down the field. Over. and OVER.

And you can fault the play calling all day long, but the Jag offense couldn't get the job done. Tony Romo and his OMG GAME OF BORTLES LIFE during the first half was a bit premature.

Anyway, needless to say, GO EAGLES. Cause fuck the Patriots.

EDIT: I apologize for my foul language. I just....*hate* them. So. Much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast