Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Films of the Decade (2010-2019)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a pretty solid list ngl.

Shit I need to watch A Ghost Story. Is that on any streaming service?

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Wow. I thought I saw a lot of movies this decade but there are a ton on the list of some people that I did not see or just never heard of. I will try and see some but I doubt I will see all of them.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Some food for thought for our next tournament in early 2020:

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/be...-2010s-decade/
    The 100 Best Movies of the Decade

Ten years ago, it seemed like we all had a pretty solid idea of movies — what they can do, who they’re for, and where they’re watched. That idea was inflexible, and supported by a century of precedent. It came with the added benefit of making the people in charge comfortable with the idea that cinema’s future wouldn’t look all that different from its past. DVD sales were strong, Netflix was still just a sad little envelope at the bottom of your mailbox, and China was starting to give studios the biggest safety net it ever had. Perhaps the arrival of James Cameron’s “Avatar” in the waning moments of 2009 could have been seen as a harbinger of strange things to come, but no one in Hollywood has ever lost sleep over a movie that grossed nearly $3 billion.

Things have changed. Cinema is in a constant state of flux, but it’s never mutated faster or more restlessly than it has over the last 10 years. And while the decade will no doubt be remembered for the paradigm shifts precipitated by streaming and monolithic superhero movies, hindsight makes it clear that the definition of film itself is exponentially wider now than it was a decade ago. Places. Products. Mirrors. Windows. Reflections of who we are. Visions of who we want to be. A way of capturing reality. A way of changing it. If the most vital work of the 2010s has made one thing clear, it’s that movies have never been more things to more people than they are today. And our week-long celebration list of the Best Films of the 2010s has us more excited than ever about what they might be to you tomorrow.

As the week goes on, we’ll be posting lists of the decade’s best performances, scenes, scores, and posters, as well as a timeline of the news stories that shaped the last 10 years, and interviews with the filmmakers who made it all happen.

But for now, IndieWire is proud to kick things off with our list of the 100 best movies of the 2010s.

“Inherent Vice” (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2014)
    “The Loneliest Planet” (Julia Loktev, 2011)
    “The Great Gatsby” (Baz Luhrmann, 2013)
    “All These Sleepless Nights” (Michal Marczak, 2016)
    “Girl Walk // All Day” (Jacob Krupnick, 2011)
    “The Arbor” (Clio Barnard, 2010)
    “Happy Hour” (Hamaguchi Ryūsuke, 2015)
    “Mother of George” (Andrew Dosunmu, 2013)
    “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” (Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey & Rodney Rothman, 2018)
    “Fire at Sea” (Gianfranco Rosi, 2016)
    “Private Life” (Tamara Jenkins, 2018)
    “Support the Girls” (Andrew Bujalski, 2018)
    “We Need to Talk About Kevin” (Lynne Ramsay, 2011)
    “Her Smell” (Alex Ross Perry, 2018)
    “Kate Plays Christine” (Robert Greene, 2016)
    “The Illusionist” (Sylvain Chomet, 2010)
    “Beasts of the Southern Wild” (Benh Zeitlin, 2012)
    “Synonyms” (Nadav Lapid, 2019)
    “Sunset Song” (Terence Davies, 2015)
    “High Life” (Claire Denis, 2018)
    “No Home Movie” (Chantal Akerman, 2015)
    “Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter” (David & Nathan Zellner, 2014)
    “Inside Out” (Pete Docter, 2015)
    “The Souvenir” (Joanna Hogg, 2019)
    “Leave No Trace” (Debra Granik, 2018)
    “A Star Is Born” (Bradley Cooper, 2018)
    “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” (Rian Johnson, 2017)
    “La La Land” (Damien Chazelle, 2016)
    “The Handmaiden” (Park Chan-wook, 2016)
    “Goodbye to Language” (Jean-Luc Godard, 2014)
    “Pariah” (Dee Rees, 2011)
    “The Duke of Burgundy” (Peter Strickland, 2014)
    “Jackie” (Pablo Larraín, 2016)
    “At Berkeley” (Frederick Wiseman, 2013)
    “Force Majeure” (Ruben Östlund, 2014)
    “Melancholia” (Lars von Trier, 2011)
    “Mission: Impossible — Fallout” (Christopher McQuarrie, 2018)
    “Inception” (Christopher Nolan, 2010)
    “Shoplifters” (Kore-eda Hirokazu, 2018)
    “Faces Places” (Agnès Varda & JR, 2017)
    “Black Panther” (Ryan Coogler, 2018)
    “The Farewell” (Lulu Wang, 2019)
    “The Turin Horse” (Béla Tarr and Ágnes Hranitzky, 2011)
    “Tangerine” (Sean Baker, 2015)
    “Happy as Lazzaro” (Alice Rohrwacher, 2018)
    “Frances Ha” (Noah Baumbach, 2012)
    “Cold War” (Pawel Pawlikowski, 2018)
    “A Ghost Story” (David Lowery, 2017)
    “Eden” (Mia Hansen-Løve, 2014)
    “Elle” (Paul Verhoeven, 2016)
    “The Tale of the Princess Kaguya” (Takahata Isao, 2014)
    “Before Midnight” (Richard Linklater, 2013)
    “Parasite” (Bong Joon-ho, 2019)
    “The Lost City of Z” (James Gray, 2016)
    “Hereditary” (Ari Aster, 2018)
    “A Separation” (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)
    “Cameraperson” (Kirsten Johnson, 2016)
    “Portrait of a Lady on Fire” (Céline Sciamma, 2019)
    “Zero Dark Thirty” (Kathryn Bigelow, 2012)
    “Margaret” (Kenneth Lonergan, 2011)
    “Personal Shopper” (Olivier Assayas, 2016)
    “The Babadook” (Jennifer Kent, 2014)
    “Timbuktu” (Abderrahmane Sissako, 2014)
    “Roma” (Alfonso Cuarón, 2018)
    “Spring Breakers” (Harmony Korine, 2013)
    “Only Lovers Left Alive” (Jim Jarmusch, 2013)
    “Stories We Tell” (Sarah Polley, 2012)
    “Madeline’s Madeline” (Josephine Decker, 2018)
    “The Grand Budapest Hotel” (Wes Anderson, 2014)
    “Somewhere” (Sofia Coppola, 2010)
    “This Is Not a Film” (Jafar Panahi & Mojtaba Mirtahmasb, 2011)
    “First Reformed” (Paul Schrader, 2018)
    “Paddington 2” (Paul King, 2017)
    “The Wind Rises” (Miyazaki Hayao, 2013)
    “Magic Mike XXL” (Gregory Jacobs, 2015)
    “Amour” (Michael Haneke, 2012)
    “Boyhood” (Richard Linklater, 2014)
    “O.J.: Made in America” (Ezra Edelman, 2016)
    “Burning” (Lee Chang-dong, 2018)
    “Get Out” (Jordan Peele, 2017)
    “Phantom Thread” (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017)
    “Toni Erdmann” (Maren Ade, 2016)
    “Call Me by Your Name” (Luca Guadagnino, 2017)
    “World of Tomorrow” (Don Hertzfeldt, 2015)
    “The Social Network” (David Fincher, 2010)
    “Dogtooth” (Yorgos Lanthimos, 2010)
    “Leviathan” (Vérena Paravel & Lucien Castain-Taylor, 2012)
    “The Tree of Life” (Terrence Malick, 2011)
    “Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives” (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2011)
    “The Wolf of Wall Street” (Martin Scorsese, 2013)
    “Lady Bird” (Greta Gerwig, 2017)
    “Mad Max: Fury Road” (George Miller, 2015)
    “The Master” (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012)
    “Carol” (Todd Haynes, 2015)
    “Holy Motors” (Leos Carax, 2012)
    “Inside Llewyn Davis” (Ethan & Joel Coen, 2013)
    “The Act of Killing”/”The Look of Silence” (Joshua Oppenheimer, 2013/2015)
    “Certified Copy” (Abbas Kiarostami, 2010)
    “Under the Skin” (Jonathan Glazer, 2013)
    “Moonlight” (Barry Jenkins, 2016)
    Astounding to see Under the Skin at #2! But Dogtooth came out in 2009, so they goofed on that. This has been an amazing decade of film. Cannot wait to see what the '20s bring us!
    I just posted about this in the other thread, but I have some real concerns about the next tournament.

I look at all those amazing films on the list you linked and maybe 10 of them would get more than 3 votes in the tournament and that's only if they get nominated.

If some of those smaller films are to make it into the tournament, members like me, you, Matt and a few others are going to have to be a lot more active during the nominating process.

You did your part, but I wasn't as active as I had hoped for.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We're well past the midway point of the year so as usual, I'm wondering what's everyone top movies of the year so far? There are tons of movies I'm looking forward to watching in the remaining months of 2019 (Joker, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Parasite) that I'm betting will rank pretty high on my final list, so it's a little challenging coming up with any meaningful Top 10 or something.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

We're well past the midway point of the year so as usual, I'm wondering what's everyone top movies of the year so far? There are tons of movies I'm looking forward to watching in the remaining months of 2019 (Joker, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Parasite) that I'm betting will rank pretty high on my final list, so it's a little challenging coming up with any meaningful Top 10 or something.
    You had to ask! Now I have to sit down and come up with a list. I too have a stable of films I'm dying to see including Parasite, which is getting tons of hype, The Nightingale, The Lighthouse, Luce, Jojo Rabbit, The Goldfinch, and a bunch more.

My Favorite Films of 2019 So Far:

1) Midsommar
    2) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    3) Us
    4) Toy Story 4
    5) Booksmart
    6) The Peanut Butter Falcon
    7) Good Boys
    8 ) Avengers Endgame
    9) I Am Mother
    10) Rocketman
    11) Yesterday
    12) Crawl

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm such an OCD person about this and The Nightingale officially came out in 2018, I'm not considering it for 2019. Once I see it, and it's up there, I'll add it to my 2018 list. Love seeing Booksmart that high. I have a feeling it'll end up pretty high on my list, too. I loved it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm such an OCD person about this and The Nightingale officially came out in 2018, I'm not considering it for 2019. Once I see it, and it's up there, I'll add it to my 2018 list. Love seeing Booksmart that high. I have a feeling it'll end up pretty high on my list, too. I loved it.
    Yeah, but that was at smaller festivals. It's just now getting rolled out wider.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm kind of surprised that the early reviews for Jojo Rabbit and Goldfinch are negative.

Country
    Country Flag

Obviously it's still too early to begin working on my Best of 2019 list, but I started compiling a list of the movies I enjoyed this year plus new 2019 releases I'm looking forward to the rest of the year and early in 2020. I'm sure I missed a bunch, too, but if anyone's curious, here's that list, in alphabetical order:
    • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    • A Hidden Life
    • Ad Astra
    • Avengers: Endgame
    • Babyteeth
    • Bacurau
    • Beanpole
    • Bliss
    • Bombshell
    • Booksmart
    • Buoyancy
    • Dogs Don’t Wear Pants
    • Dolemite Is My Name
    • Ema
    • Good Boys
    • Greener Grass
    • Honey Boy
    • Hustlers
    • I Lost My Body
    • John Denver Trending
    • Jojo Rabbit
    • Joker
    • Knives Out
    • Kumbalangi Nights
    • Les Misérables
    • Little Women
    • Luce
    • Marona’s Fantastic Tale
    • Marriage Story
    • Midsommar
    • Monos
    • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • Pain and Glory
    • Papicha
    • Parasite
    • Portrait of a Lady on Fire
    • Queen of Hearts
    • Rocketman
    • Saint Maud
    • Shazam!
    • Super Deluxe
    • Synonyms
    • System Crasher
    • The Art of Self-Defense
    • The Farewell
    • The Forest of Love
    • The Invisible Life
    • The Irishman
    • The Last Black Man in San Francisco
    • The Lighthouse
    • The Lodge
    • The Peanut Butter Falcon
    • The Platform
    • The Report
    • The Souvenir
    • The Swallows of Kabul
    • Uncut Gems
    • Us
    • Wasteland
    • Waves
    • Weathering with You
    • Where We Belong

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Strong list. It's crazy how many films that are coming out that I need to see. I added to your list. The films I added are in bold.
    • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    • Ford Vs. Ferarri
    • Harriet
    • High Life
    • Honey Boy
    • Hustlers
    • Jojo Rabbit
    • The King
    • Knives Out
    • Little Monsters
    • Little Women
    • Luce
    • Marriage Story
    • The Nightengale
    • Pain and Glory
    • Parasite
    • Portrait of a Lady on Fire
    • Sound of Metal
    • The Farewell
    • The Irishman
    • The Lighthouse
    • The Lodge
    • The Report
    • Uncut Gems
    • Waves

Country
    Country Flag

Not really interested in Ford v. Ferarri to be honest, but looking forward to The Nightingale but as I said earlier, it's technically a 2018 film. So is High Life. Harriet tackles an important subject but the reviews have been lukewarm so I'm afraid they might've missed the mark. The King seems okay but nothing special. Little Monsters does look fun, but I don't know about the Best of 2019. Sound of Metal is one I forgot and does sound really cool, so thanks for reminding me!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Not really interested in Ford v. Ferarri to be honest, but looking forward to The Nightingale but as I said earlier, it's technically a 2018 film. So is High Life. Harriet tackles an important subject but the reviews have been lukewarm so I'm afraid they might've missed the mark. The King seems okay but nothing special. Little Monsters does look fun, but I don't know about the Best of 2019. Sound of Metal is one I forgot and does sound really cool, so thanks for reminding me!
    Yeah, but both High Life and Nightingale had their larger releases in 2019. I know they were made in 2018 and that stuff gets tricky as we move forward when making lists etc., but in the short term, I consider films like that 2019.

Ford V. Ferrari has Bale and Damon, whom I love. Not to mention James Mangold directing, so I think it will at least be solid.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah the whole festival release versus wide release gets fuzzy when they do it in different years. There will be films that had their festival premieres this year that will get wide (or maybe not so wide) releases next year, technically in a different decade, so for the purposes of our decades tournament, if we counted them as 2020 movies they wouldn't be eligible. But because I'm going year by year and creating my best-of lists based on the year of original release, that removes that ambiguity. Once I finally see The Nightingale (when does it come out by the way?), I'm fairly sure I'll be updating my 2018 list, which is why Letteboxd ranked lists are so fun and easy to maintain. You can always update them and move things around as you see more movies or re-evaluate things.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah the whole festival release versus wide release gets fuzzy when they do it in different years. There will be films that had their festival premieres this year that will get wide (or maybe not so wide) releases next year, technically in a different decade, so for the purposes of our decades tournament, if we counted them as 2020 movies they wouldn't be eligible. But because I'm going year by year and creating my best-of lists based on the year of original release, that removes that ambiguity. Once I finally see The Nightingale (when does it come out by the way?), I'm faitly sure I'll be updating my 2018 list, which is why Letteboxd ranked lists are so fun and easy to maintain. You can always update them and move things around as you see more movies or re-evaluate things.
    The Nightingale came and went, unfortunately. I believe it was released in August. It was a crazy summer for me and it was only released in a theater that's not too close to me that I like to go to sometimes, but it just didn't happen.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh no, yeah I just looked it up and it apparently had a limited release in early August. I had no idea. I don't think I had it playing anywhere near me, otherwise I would've seen it. Oh well, now to wait until it hits streaming.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh no, yeah I just looked it up and it apparently had a limited release in early August. I had no idea. I don't think I had it playing anywhere near me, otherwise I would've seen it. Oh well, now to wait until it hits streaming.
    Yeah, I'm coming up empty on a streaming/physical release date.

Country
    Country Flag

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/...10s/full-post/
    At the top of the 2010s, in one of the top films on the list you’re about to read through, a young tech mogul declared in an ecstatic frenzy that we were going to live on the Internet. He was right, of course, even if Sean Parker probably didn’t realize what Mark Zuckerberg was about to unleash on the global community.

Like everything, so much of the decade in film unfolded on the Internet. The decade began with Netflix still taking its earliest steps into on-demand streaming, and it’s ending with the production and release of a Martin Scorsese-directed tentpole feature. We watch movies at home as often as theaters now, if not far more frequently; we praise and argue and think about them online for the same reason we’ve always talked about the movies, to better understand them and ourselves and the world through them. In confusing and increasingly fraught times, we needed ways to understand, and film at its best gave us a chance to do exactly that.

The list you’re about to read, like every other one you’re about to read in the coming weeks and months, is a condensed version of a far longer list, one full of films just as exceptional as the 100 to follow here. That’s just part of the list-making game. But we’d like to think that it also captures the spectrum of moviegoing experiences from the decade that was, the genre-bending experiments and bold new voices and revelatory career peaks that accompanied film’s transition into cinematic universes and dedicated repertory theaters and the press of a button on your remote.

We have a lot more to say about what we’ll call the 100 best films of the 2010s, as you’re about to see, so let’s get started.

100. mother! (2017)
    99. Gone Girl (2014)
    98. The Raid 2 (2014)
    97. Her Smell (2019)
    96. Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)
    95. The Favourite (2018)
    94. Krisha (2015)
    93. A Ghost Story (2017)
    92. The Wind Rises (2013)
    91. Elle (2016)
    90. Lady Bird (2017)
    89. Attack the Block (2011)
    88. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (2016)
    87. Columbus (2017)
    86. The Trip (2010)
    85. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011)
    84. Sing Street (2016)
    83. Parasite (2019)
    82. Eighth Grade (2018)
    81. Manchester by the Sea (2016)
    80. Burning (2018)
    79. Your Name (2017)
    78. The Tale (2018)
    77. The Master (2012)
    76. The Interrupters (2011)
    75. Blue Valentine (2010)
    74. Phoenix (2014)
    73. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    72. Good Time (2017)
    71. Nocturama (2016)
    70. Midsommar (2019)
    69. Paterson (2017)
    68. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
    67. Shoplifters (2018)
    66. Toni Erdmann (2016)
    65. 13th (2016)
    64. Drive (2011)
    63. Annihilation (2018)
    62. Spring Breakers (2012)
    61. La La Land (2016)
    60. Amy (2015)
    59. Baby Driver (2017)
    58. American Honey (2016)
    57. Force Majeure (2014)
    56. First Reformed (2018)
    55. Young Adult (2011)
    54. Leviathan (2014)
    53. Roma (2018)
    52. Moneyball (2011)
    51. Cold War (2018)
    50. Nightcrawler (2014)
    49. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)
    48. Amour (2012)
    47. Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010)
    46. Jackie (2016)
    45. Inherent Vice (2014)
    44. The Revenant (2015)
    43. Shirkers (2018)
    42. Melancholia (2011)
    41. Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
    40. BlackkKlansman (2018)
    39. The Babadook (2014)
    38. Looper (2012)
    37. Before Midnight (2012)
    36. Fruitvale Station (2013)
    35. Carol (2015)
    34. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse (2018)
    33. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
    32. Her (2013)
    31. A Separation (2011)
    30. Zero Dark Thirty (2011)
    29. 45 Years (2015)
    28. OJ: Made in America (2016)
    27. Frances Ha (2012)
    26. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
    25. Logan (2017)
    24. Son of Saul (2015)
    23. Call Me By Your Name (2017)
    22. The Invitation (2015)
    21. Dunkirk (2017)
    20. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
    19. Green Room (2016)
    18. Tangerine (2015)
    17. 12 Years a Slave (2013)
    16. Boyhood (2014)
    15. The Tree of Life (2011)
    14. Get Out (2017)
    13. Bridesmaids (2011)
    12. Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
    11. Inside Out (2015)
    10. Inception (2010)
    9. The Handmaiden (2016)
    8. Phantom Thread (2017)
    7. Under the Skin (2014)
    6. The Act of Killing/The Look of Silence (2015)
    5. Hereditary (2018)
    4. We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011)
    3. Moonlight (2016)
    2. The Social Network (2010)
    1. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Mad Max but No. 1? Dayum.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah that wouldn't top my list, but it's certainly a great movie.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That list was looking good, until I realized Whiplash wasn't on it, then it was dead to me.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It was dead to me when A Ghost Story was 97 and Popstar was 88. I love Popstar but WTF? A good but disposable comedy ranked over a truly unique, once in a lifetime film? WWWTTTFFF?!?!
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Also was Lady Bird actually good or was it all Rotten Tomatoes hype? I know they love to blitz people with their "100% on Rotten Tomatoes SEE IT NOW!" hype trains.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Lady Bird is a pretty solid film. A nice little coming of age story with some solid performances.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed it, but the hype was in overdrive right before I saw it so I was expecting to love it more.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/...10s/full-post/
    At the top of the 2010s, in one of the top films on the list you’re about to read through, a young tech mogul declared in an ecstatic frenzy that we were going to live on the Internet. He was right, of course, even if Sean Parker probably didn’t realize what Mark Zuckerberg was about to unleash on the global community.

Like everything, so much of the decade in film unfolded on the Internet. The decade began with Netflix still taking its earliest steps into on-demand streaming, and it’s ending with the production and release of a Martin Scorsese-directed tentpole feature. We watch movies at home as often as theaters now, if not far more frequently; we praise and argue and think about them online for the same reason we’ve always talked about the movies, to better understand them and ourselves and the world through them. In confusing and increasingly fraught times, we needed ways to understand, and film at its best gave us a chance to do exactly that.

The list you’re about to read, like every other one you’re about to read in the coming weeks and months, is a condensed version of a far longer list, one full of films just as exceptional as the 100 to follow here. That’s just part of the list-making game. But we’d like to think that it also captures the spectrum of moviegoing experiences from the decade that was, the genre-bending experiments and bold new voices and revelatory career peaks that accompanied film’s transition into cinematic universes and dedicated repertory theaters and the press of a button on your remote.

We have a lot more to say about what we’ll call the 100 best films of the 2010s, as you’re about to see, so let’s get started.

100. mother! (2017)
    99. Gone Girl (2014)
    98. The Raid 2 (2014)
    97. Her Smell (2019)
    96. Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)
    95. The Favourite (2018)
    94. Krisha (2015)
    93. A Ghost Story (2017)
    92. The Wind Rises (2013)
    91. Elle (2016)
    90. Lady Bird (2017)
    89. Attack the Block (2011)
    88. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (2016)
    87. Columbus (2017)
    86. The Trip (2010)
    85. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011)
    84. Sing Street (2016)
    83. Parasite (2019)
    82. Eighth Grade (2018)
    81. Manchester by the Sea (2016)
    80. Burning (2018)
    79. Your Name (2017)
    78. The Tale (2018)
    77. The Master (2012)
    76. The Interrupters (2011)
    75. Blue Valentine (2010)
    74. Phoenix (2014)
    73. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    72. Good Time (2017)
    71. Nocturama (2016)
    70. Midsommar (2019)
    69. Paterson (2017)
    68. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
    67. Shoplifters (2018)
    66. Toni Erdmann (2016)
    65. 13th (2016)
    64. Drive (2011)
    63. Annihilation (2018)
    62. Spring Breakers (2012)
    61. La La Land (2016)
    60. Amy (2015)
    59. Baby Driver (2017)
    58. American Honey (2016)
    57. Force Majeure (2014)
    56. First Reformed (2018)
    55. Young Adult (2011)
    54. Leviathan (2014)
    53. Roma (2018)
    52. Moneyball (2011)
    51. Cold War (2018)
    50. Nightcrawler (2014)
    49. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)
    48. Amour (2012)
    47. Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010)
    46. Jackie (2016)
    45. Inherent Vice (2014)
    44. The Revenant (2015)
    43. Shirkers (2018)
    42. Melancholia (2011)
    41. Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
    40. BlackkKlansman (2018)
    39. The Babadook (2014)
    38. Looper (2012)
    37. Before Midnight (2012)
    36. Fruitvale Station (2013)
    35. Carol (2015)
    34. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse (2018)
    33. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
    32. Her (2013)
    31. A Separation (2011)
    30. Zero Dark Thirty (2011)
    29. 45 Years (2015)
    28. OJ: Made in America (2016)
    27. Frances Ha (2012)
    26. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
    25. Logan (2017)
    24. Son of Saul (2015)
    23. Call Me By Your Name (2017)
    22. The Invitation (2015)
    21. Dunkirk (2017)
    20. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
    19. Green Room (2016)
    18. Tangerine (2015)
    17. 12 Years a Slave (2013)
    16. Boyhood (2014)
    15. The Tree of Life (2011)
    14. Get Out (2017)
    13. Bridesmaids (2011)
    12. Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
    11. Inside Out (2015)
    10. Inception (2010)
    9. The Handmaiden (2016)
    8. Phantom Thread (2017)
    7. Under the Skin (2014)
    6. The Act of Killing/The Look of Silence (2015)
    5. Hereditary (2018)
    4. We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011)
    3. Moonlight (2016)
    2. The Social Network (2010)
    1. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
    Is 79 supposed to be Call Me By Your Name? If so, It should be in the top five. God's Own Country should be in there as well but both would be knocked out of the tournament first round if they got seconded.

EDIT:
    just went to the link and saw, such a shame. Oh well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast