Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Best Films of the Decade (2010-2019)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, that's the animated film Your Name. Call Me By Your Name is #23.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Ever so slowly, I figured it out. My eyesight gets worse by the day. Still, should be in the top five. Sorry about that Mae.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I tend to ignore the order of movies on lists like this, and just look for movies that are there or not.

Having said that, I'm fine with Mad Max: Fury Road being number 1. Fury Road is what happens when a visionary filmmaker creates that vision flawlessly, and with crystal clarity. There are a few films on the list that would be equally deserving of the top spot, but MM:FR will do just fine.

Also good to see Nightcrawler on there. Disappointed not to see Blue Ruin on there. And no Arrival, the greatest SF movie of the decade? No The VVitch??? For shame!

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is just one list of many we'll see in the next months. It will be super interesting to see our own list when we do the 2010s tournament next year

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

This is just one list of many we'll see in the next months. It will be super interesting to see our own list when we do the 2010s tournament next year
    Understood. I just like getting worked up about movies.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

97. Her Smell (2019)
    96. Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)
    95. The Favourite (2018)
    94. Krisha (2015)
    93. A Ghost Story (2017)
    92. The Wind Rises (2013)
    91. Elle (2016)
    90. Lady Bird (2017)
    88. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (2016)
    87. Columbus (2017)
    86. The Trip (2010)
    85. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011)
    84. Sing Street (2016)
    83. Parasite (2019)
    82. Eighth Grade (2018)
    80. Burning (2018)
    79. Your Name (2017)
    78. The Tale (2018)
    76. The Interrupters (2011)
    74. Phoenix (2014)
    72. Good Time (2017)
    71. Nocturama (2016)
    69. Paterson (2017)
    68. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
    67. Shoplifters (2018)
    66. Toni Erdmann (2016)
    65. 13th (2016)
    62. Spring Breakers (2012)
    60. Amy (2015)
    59. Baby Driver (2017)
    58. American Honey (2016)
    57. Force Majeure (2014)
    56. First Reformed (2018)
    55. Young Adult (2011)
    54. Leviathan (2014)
    53. Roma (2018)
    51. Cold War (2018)
    47. Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010)
    46. Jackie (2016)
    45. Inherent Vice (2014)
    43. Shirkers (2018)
    41. Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
    40. BlackkKlansman (2018)
    37. Before Midnight (2012)
    36. Fruitvale Station (2013)
    33. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
    32. Her (2013)
    31. A Separation (2011)
    30. Zero Dark Thirty (2011)
    29. 45 Years (2015)
    27. Frances Ha (2012)
    24. Son of Saul (2015)
    22. The Invitation (2015)
    19. Green Room (2016)
    18. Tangerine (2015)
    9. The Handmaiden (2016)
    8. Phantom Thread (2017)
    7. Under the Skin (2014)
    6. The Act of Killing/The Look of Silence (2015)

I've seen 38 of these, which of the ones left above should I see?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I've seen 38 of these, which of the ones left above should I see?
    All of them?

I'm sure others will have their own favorites, but here's my top ten, in the list order:

Under the Skin
    Phantom Thread
    The Handmaiden
    Tangerine
    Frances Ha
    Son of Saul
    Her
    BlackkKlansman
    Burning
    Eighth Grade

Country
    Country Flag

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Your Name > Call Me By Your Name
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I tend to ignore the order of movies on lists like this, and just look for movies that are there or not.

Having said that, I'm fine with Mad Max: Fury Road being number 1. Fury Road is what happens when a visionary filmmaker creates that vision flawlessly, and with crystal clarity. There are a few films on the list that would be equally deserving of the top spot, but MM:FR will do just fine.

Also good to see Nightcrawler on there. Disappointed not to see Blue Ruin on there. And no Arrival, the greatest SF movie of the decade? No The VVitch??? For shame!

HBJ

The greatest Sci-Fi film of the decade is Her Followed by Ex Machina and Blade Runner 2049 imo. Mad Max too, I guess, but I've never been one for automatically including post-apocalyptic films into science fiction.

Country
    Country Flag

If Under the Skin is sci-fi, then I would place that first.

Ex Machina and BR2049 are definitely up there for me, too, but they didn’t stay with me like Arrival did.

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Arrival would be my second sci-fi film, after Under the Skin.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Ex Machina and BR2049 are definitely up there for me, too, but they didn’t stay with me like Arrival did.
    It's the opposite for me. Arrival is a really well-made flick, but it's not one that stuck with me. Ex Machina really stuck with me and BR 2049 just had visuals on another level.

I HATED Under The Skin when I first watched it. But everyone else seems to love it. Maybe I was just in a bad mood when I watched it, I don't know. I just remember being bored by it's repetitiveness.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

HBJ
    I'm with you on Fury Road. I'm fine with that. One of the few times where I almost bought another ticket after the credits rolled.

Good catch with Blue Ruin, one of my favorites of the decade for sure. At least Green Room made it, which Saulnier also directed.

These lists are fine, but we know the definitive list will be produced after we do our tournament for the decade.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

You mean the tournament that will end up with a Marvel film on top? lol

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Am I the only one having a bitch of a time making a best of the decade list?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Am I the only one having a bitch of a time making a best of the decade list?

I'll let you know when I sit down to do in a month or two. I still have some 2019 films to watch.

Country
    Country Flag

The 200 Best Movies of the 2010s

Now I have to count and see how many I have seen...

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

So I thought I'd pick my favorite movie from each year of the decade and make a list.

2010 - Inception
    2011 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    2012 - The Avengers
    2013 - Pacific Rim
    2014 - Interstellar
    2015 - Mad Max: Fury Road
    2016 - Deadpool
    2017 - Blade Runner 2049
    2018 - Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse
    2019 - Avengers: Endgame

Some of these years were particularly hard, either because nothing jumped out at me or because too many things jumped out at me. So some honorable mentions here would be Avengers Infinity War, Thor Ragnarok, Wonder Woman, Logan, The Martian, Arrival, and Rouge One. When these were close I just kinda picked whatever the first one was that had jumped out at me. 2013 was particularly hard for me because nothing really jumped out at me and made me go "Oh I loved that movie". Pacific Rim was the closest to that.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    So I thought I'd pick my favorite movie from each year of the decade and make a list.

2010 - Inception
    2011 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    2012 - The Avengers
    2013 - Pacific Rim
    2014 - Interstellar
    2015 - Mad Max: Fury Road
    2016 - Deadpool
    2017 - Blade Runner 2049
    2018 - Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse
    2019 - Avengers: Endgame

Some of these years were particularly hard, either because nothing jumped out at me or because too many things jumped out at me. So some honorable mentions here would be Avengers Infinity War, Thor Ragnarok, Wonder Woman, Logan, The Martian, Arrival, and Rouge One. When these were close I just kinda picked whatever the first one was that had jumped out at me. 2013 was particularly hard for me because nothing really jumped out at me and made me go "Oh I loved that movie". Pacific Rim was the closest to that.
    Mine were:

2010: The Kids Are All Right
    2011: Melancholia
    2012: Argo
    2013: The Wolf of Wall Street
    2014: Boyhood
    2015: The Revenant
    2016: Arrival
    2017: Wonder Woman
    2018: Annihilation
    2019: TBD (probably Parasite)

+ Reply to Thread