Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Movie List

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default 2017 Movie List

Past Years Links:

blue = at the theater, red = dvd or streaming, * = rewatch.

2017 Movies:

1. Incendies
    2. Live by Night
    3. Silence

<begin Sundance>
    <end Sundance>
    Last edited by Lookwhoitis; 12-31-2020 at 11:20 PM.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

KJ comes in and already has 13 movies on his list.

What did you think of Incendies? Pretty f'd up stuff. I enjoyed it though.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

I liked it. I've been on a Villaneuve kick since seeing Arrival.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I wanted to see Incendies way back when it came out since it was Canadian and had oscar buzz. Was impossible to find though. Gotta be much easier now.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post

I liked it. I've been on a Villaneuve kick since seeing Arrival.
    Nice! He's got some good stuff for sure.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No pressure!
    I'm shooting for a 365 total this year.

2015 List
    2016 List

2017 List:
    1. Kubo and the Two Strings
    2. The Finest Hours
    3. Cheap Thrills

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Let's see how long I can update this before dropping off lol

1. Assassin's Creed

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

That's my question too Fernando lol.

1. Die Hard (RW)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

How was Passengers Mike? I really wanted to see, then started hearing that it was horrible.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    How was Passengers Mike? I really wanted to see, then started hearing that it was horrible.
    Yeah, I remember breaking the bad news to you that the film was receiving mixed reviews. I must say, I somewhat enjoyed it. It's certainly not as good as I was hoping for when the film was first announced, but lowered expectations certainly did the trick here I think.

The trailers are once again misleading. It's not the space epic they made it look like and that I was hoping for. In fact, it's more of a space romance. There's some moral themes explored here, but they only really scratch the surface.

The film is directed by Morten Tyldum, who directed one of my favorite films of the last few years in The Imitation Game, so I had really high expectations. That said, it was enough to entertain me at the end of a long holiday weekend.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Thanks, I do like romance movies so maybe I'll enjoy it. I really don't know why they mislead people with trailers though. That's only going to lead to people expecting one thing, and when they don't get that they're inevitably going to be a bit let down.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Traveler R. Stewart will become famous soon enough

I didn't mind it, although if you're looking at the "love story" aspect of the film, it IS flawed...or at least it's unique! Visuals and action elements are cool though.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Thanks, I do like romance movies so maybe I'll enjoy it. I really don't know why they mislead people with trailers though. That's only going to lead to people expecting one thing, and when they don't get that they're inevitably going to be a bit let down.
    I know, it happens time and time again though and it's getting worse. I've seen so many misleading trailers recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    How was A Monster Calls, Ricky? I've heard good things.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was decent, but I wouldn't believe any of the reviews calling it a masterpiece. The story was pretty basic (there are a couple small surprises, but narratively speaking, the trailer kinds of gives you everything you need to know), though the acting was good. The young boy was great, as were Felicity Jones and Sigourney Weaver in their small roles. Liam Neeson did some good voice work, too. The boy is the heart of the story, but I wish the mom (Felicity Jones) was in more scenes to further establish their relationship.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It was decent, but I wouldn't believe any of the reviews calling it a masterpiece. The story was pretty basic (there are a couple small surprises, but narratively speaking, the trailer kinds of gives you everything you need to know), though the acting was good. The young boy was great, as were Felicity Jones and Sigourney Weaver in their small roles. Liam Neeson did some good voice work, too. The boy is the heart of the story, but I wish the mom (Felicity Jones) was in more scenes to further establish their relationship.
    Thanks. That's kind of the vibe I got from the trailer. I felt it might not match all the praise it's receiving. I was surprised to here so many people gushing.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm seeing it Sunday. I'll watch any Bayona movie based on The Orphanage alone. I hope he does a great job with the next Jurassic Park movie too. Sounds like he wants to integrate more horror and tension to the franchise.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Have you seen The Impossible?

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I remember breaking the bad news to you that the film was receiving mixed reviews. I must say, I somewhat enjoyed it. It's certainly not as good as I was hoping for when the film was first announced, but lowered expectations certainly did the trick here I think.

The trailers are once again misleading. It's not the space epic they made it look like and that I was hoping for. In fact, it's more of a space romance.
    Just saw it and I don't understand why it got such bad reviews from critics. I don't see what was so wrong with it. The acting was decent, the music and editing was great, and there weren't really any boring scenes. I do agree that the trailer was misleading, though. Even as I was watching the movie, I noticed some scenes from the trailer that were made to look dramatic and action-y, but in the context of the film were actually quite quiet (i.e. characters running, the bright star they observed). Would I have liked (and was expecting) more action? Yes. Did I hate the movie because it played up the romance angle? No.

However, the trailer's "we woke up for a reason" business kind of irritated me after the explanation was given very early on. The trailer made it look like it would be a question for the duration of the film. I almost wish it would've started with Aurora and Jim, and only at the end do we find out that
    Spoiler:
    he woke her up (the audience finding out when she does).
    That would have made for an interesting reveal.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

2013 List
    2014 List
    2015 List
    2016 List

1. Hardcore Henry
    2. Finding Dory
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The trailers are once again misleading. It's not the space epic they made it look like and that I was hoping for. In fact, it's more of a space romance.
    Just saw it and I don't understand why it got such bad reviews from critics. I don't see what was so wrong with it. The acting was decent, the music and editing was great, and there weren't really any boring scenes. I do agree that the trailer was misleading, though. Even as I was watching the movie, I noticed some scenes from the trailer that were made to look dramatic and action-y, but in the context of the film were actually quite quiet (i.e. characters running, the bright star they observed). Would I have liked (and was expecting) more action? Yes. Did I hate the movie because it played up the romance angle? No.

However, the trailer's "we woke up for a reason" business kind of irritated me after the explanation was given very early on. The trailer made it look like it would be a question for the duration of the film. I almost wish it would've started with Aurora and Jim, and only at the end do we find out that
    Spoiler:
    he woke her up (the audience finding out when she does).
    That would have made for an interesting reveal.
    Completely agree about the reveal. I felt the same way after the movie ended. It would have been a nice surprise for the audience, instead it's revealed early on.

That said, it doesn't deserve all the hate.

Personally, I would have preferred an ending that didn't tie up in a nice bow too. My ending would have played into the moral implications of the reveal we mentioned above as well.

Spoiler:
    Jim dies at the end. We then see short scenes of Aurora wandering around the ship. She's grown lonely now too. The last thing we see is her making the decision to wake up somebody else. She's now sentenced somebody to the same fate she was sentenced too, all because of man's desire for companionship. This act justifies his.

Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I would have preferred an ending that didn't tie up in a nice bow too. My ending would have played into the moral implications of the reveal we mentioned above as well.

Spoiler:
    Jim dies at the end. We then see short scenes of Aurora wandering around the ship. She's grown lonely now too. The last thing we see is her making the decision to wake up somebody else. She's now sentenced somebody to the same fate she was sentenced too, all because of man's desire for companionship. This act justifies his.
    I read a few people tossing around that ending, and it would've been interesting. I don't think it would fit into the kind of movie we got, though. I feel like that would be the kind of ending the film would've gone for had it been more of a mystery/thriller with a side of romance, rather than vice versa.

Also, about the very end, I would've liked another scene or two (or even just some quick shots with Aurora's narration):
    Spoiler:
    how long did they live? Did they have kids? Who died first? Stuff like that. It's not really important, but I was curious.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very true, with the ending we discussed above, it's more of something you'd see in an Indie film or something.

Spoiler:
    I also would have liked to have seen kids or something. I thought it would have been cool to have everybody wake up and they are welcomed by the adult children of Aurora and Jim. That would have been cool.

Still, I feel people are being too hard on the film.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

2010 List
    2011 List

2012 List
    2013 List
    2014 List
    2015 List
    2016 List

Passengers
    Keanu
    Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising
    Kubo and the Two Strings
    War Dogs
    Eddie the Eagle
    '71
    La La Land

I wish I could get snowed in every Saturday. I watched 4 movies on Saturday.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast