Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I think I'll wait and see an episode before I judge it. As the saying goes "Don't judge a book by it's cover" well I think they saying suites for movies and TV shows as well "Don't judge a movie by it's trailer". That said based off the trailer I just don't see what you're seeing in the trailer. It looks mostly satire to me.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsFjcIchyKw

Satire as well, right?

How about this one, which is more suited to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuOGf1iuLEA

This wonderful ad was on MTV. Satire, again, right?

NOT SATIRE.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsFjcIchyKw

Satire as well, right?

How about this one, which is more suited to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuOGf1iuLEA

This wonderful ad was on MTV. Satire, again, right?

NOT SATIRE.
    Yea but neither of those things actually have anything to do with the show. I don't even know what that first one is. The second one was just in bad taste by MTV and totally misses the point. No one is saying that the attitude you are describing doesn't exist, mostly we're saying that this show / the movie by the same name aren't about that. I honestly don't think we would be having this conversation if it had been called anything other than "Dear White People".

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

We'll see what happens when the show airs. I watch everything (or rather, I try to, lol) so I'll definitely check out the first episode. For me, though, the trailer, the title, the writer, etc etc, everything leads me to believe this is going to be a "If you're white, you're wrong" type of show. We'll see.

We'll see what happens when the show airs. I watch everything (or rather, I try to, lol) so I'll definitely check out the first episode. For me, though, the trailer, the title, the writer, etc etc, everything leads me to believe this is going to be a "If you're white, you're wrong" type of show. We'll see.
    Maybe, we'll see I guess. If nothing else I'm kinda interested in checking out the movie now.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

Military or not, I love all people. But THIS TYPE OF SHOW and the people behind it don't want you to love all people. They want you (a white person) to feel like shit because you're white. Are you employed? Well, that's because you're white. Did you graduate high school? Well, that's because you're white. Do you know who both your parents are? White. Have you ever been harassed by a cop? If not, it's because you're white. If you HAVE, it's because something something something black people have had it rough and the police are simply trying to balance the scales because of something something something PR stunt.
    You can tell all that from the 35 second trailer of a new satirical TV show? WOW! LOL!

Considering that Dear White People is based entirely on the 2014 movie of the same name, it should follow that the movie is also racist...

From the site consensus at Rotten Tomatoes and scoring 91% based on 117 reviews: "Dear White People adds a welcome new voice to cinema's oft-neglected discussion of race, tackling its timely themes with intelligence, honesty, and gratifyingly sharp wit."

The movie's director, Justin Simien, won the U.S. Dramatic Special Jury Award for Breakthrough Talent at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival, and Best Screenplay at the 2015 Spirit Awards.

So yeah, extremely racist.

Alright, let's go back to the original movie, then. Admittedly, I haven't seen it. So, let's check out the trailer ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OATfJ1SwnvQ

I made it to 1:10 of the 2:46 trailer before I paused it. You can't be serious. This is ... satire? This isn't satire. PEOPLE THINK LIKE THIS IN REAL LIFE. This isn't irony or exaggeration. This isn't humorous or a quirky metaphor for race relations. This is race-baiting hidden inside a movie that people can nod their heads at while thinking highly of themselves for having someone else agree with them.
    The problem here, is that by your own admission, you have not watched the movie (and probably didn't even know it existed until I posted about it). Ranting about race baiting and anti white sentiments without actually having watched either the movie or TV show, tells me more about your own personal insecurities regarding race than anything else.

And your "WOW! LOL!" smiley face bullshit leads me to believe that your Google-found information is the extent of your contribution here.
    I don't need Google to find information about this. Unlike yourself, I have watched the movie, several times in fact - and IMHO, it deserved the accolades it received.

If you can't see that there is at least SOMETHING wrong, or at least a little OFF about the "35 second trailer," then you're fucking blind to what's really going on. Open your eyes.
    The irony of this statement is hilarious. What you fail to realise, is that the movie (and TV show) is ultimately about bridging divides. Yet your incessant rants about race after only watching a 35 second trailer for the TV show and only half (1 minute) of the movie trailer, just reiterates why Dear White People exists in the first place.

LMFAO!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

"Ranting about race baiting and anti white sentiments without actually having watched either the movie or TV show, tells me more about your own personal insecurities regarding race than anything else."

I'm so sorry. I apologize. I wasn't aware that to have an opinion, one must have sat through Dear White People. But you're right, I'm insecure about ... something. Whether it's my race, or the race of others. That's gotta be it, right? Because there's NO WAY that one can see something negative in the TV trailer for Dear White People. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the main character talking down to an entire race. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the main character telling an entire race what NOT to be on Halloween. There's nothing wrong with telling ANYONE what NOT to be on Halloween. There's nothing wrong with saying that only blacks can dress up like blacks. There's nothing wrong with portraying white people as rich and privileged douchebag racists that dress in blackface because they're entitled. There's nothing wrong with black people storming into a party to rip the costumes off of people, as well as destroying their property.

This is the trailer, pretty much shot for shot. Some may call it satire. I don't. And if it were just a show without a message, then it would be just that. But it's not. It IS a show with a message. And that message is (from the TRAILER) that if you're white, you're wrong.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"Ranting about race baiting and anti white sentiments without actually having watched either the movie or TV show, tells me more about your own personal insecurities regarding race than anything else."

I'm so sorry. I apologize. I wasn't aware that to have an opinion, one must have sat through Dear White People. But you're right, I'm insecure about ... something. Whether it's my race, or the race of others. That's gotta be it, right? Because there's NO WAY that one can see something negative in the TV trailer for Dear White People. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the main character talking down to an entire race. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the main character telling an entire race what NOT to be on Halloween. There's nothing wrong with telling ANYONE what NOT to be on Halloween. There's nothing wrong with saying that only blacks can dress up like blacks. There's nothing wrong with portraying white people as rich and privileged douchebag racists that dress in blackface because they're entitled. There's nothing wrong with black people storming into a party to rip the costumes off of people, as well as destroying their property.

This is the trailer, pretty much shot for shot. Some may call it satire. I don't. And if it were just a show without a message, then it would be just that. But it's not. It IS a show with a message. And that message is (from the TRAILER) that if you're white, you're wrong.
    Yeah, you might want to lay off the Breitbart news for awhile - your insecurity is showing again.

Hugbox?

LMFAO!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I have literally no idea what you are talking about at this point. Are you trying to be a troll, or do you actually think you're saying something meaningful?

Country
    Country Flag

I have literally no idea what you are talking about at this point. Are you trying to be a troll, or do you actually think you're saying something meaningful?
    If you understood the irony of your statements, you would realise that you are trolling yourself.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I give up, I'm not going back and forth with an absolute moron. It only went on this long because I thought you were at least trying to make sense, but obviously I was wrong. So, bye.

Anyone else up for a discussion on the Dear White People trailer? Preferably someone that doesn't want to get decide to sink to a "I'm rubber, you're glue, smiley face, smiley face, exclamation point exclamation point" level of stupidity after only a few posts.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the main character telling an entire race what NOT to be on Halloween. There's nothing wrong with telling ANYONE what NOT to be on Halloween. There's nothing wrong with saying that only blacks can dress up like blacks.
    I'm sure there are a lot of people that would agree that wearing "blackface" on Halloween is probably not a good idea.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

I'm with you Shannon - this era of "white guilt" is absolutely insane. I have no clue where this shit even started.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I give up, I'm not going back and forth with an absolute moron. It only went on this long because I thought you were at least trying to make sense, but obviously I was wrong. So, bye.

Anyone else up for a discussion on the Dear White People trailer?
    No, thanks. I wont be watching it or the series.
    Not because its controversial, but I just have zero interest in college dorm-oriented storylines.

I still dont get the hoopla and uproar over this series...either watch it or dont....its just a tv show.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We can also discuss a crap-ton of other series and movies Netflix has, too.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Any one watch Travelers? It's a Canadian show which I guess Netflix bought the US rights for. I enjoyed it and hope they are able to do a second season.

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone else up for a discussion on the Dear White People trailer? Preferably someone that doesn't want to get decide to sink to a "I'm rubber, you're glue, smiley face, smiley face, exclamation point exclamation point" level of stupidity after only a few posts.
    More irony. By calling me a "moron" for pointing out the absurdity of your rash claims regarding a movie and TV show that you know very little about, and refusing to continue the discourse because I hold a different (and informed) opinion of said movie/TV show - not only reveals your inability to put forward a coherent and reasoned counter-argument, but also reaffirms the obvious fact that you lack the empathy, moral imagination or analytical skills to attempt even a basic understanding of the views from people that disagree with you.

The fact that you ask for other people to discuss the Dear White People trailer with you, in order to avoid debating me further because you are losing the argument badly, speaks volumes.

The fact that you feel threatened, marginalised even, by a 35 second trailer featuring a woman of colour (politely) asking not to be mocked, speaks volumes.

The hilarity is that even now, you still fail to realise that your ill-informed and incessant rants about "white guilt" and "race baiting" reiterates why Dear White People exists in the first place.

But I'm the "moron". LOL!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You guys are still going at it? Lmao.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    You guys are still going at it? Lmao.
    I hear ya!!!! Nevertheless, you have to keep an eye on them "Brits". After "Zee Germans", the only ones who look to rule the world!!! lol lol J/K lol

Spoiler:
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Added today:
    Added yesterday:

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    FUCK NETFLIX! I'm done. I cancelled it today.

Santa Clarita Diet portrays white people as blood thirsty cannibals. Boycott this shit and cancel your subscription. Anybody that has a Smart TV with Netflix built in should punch it in the HDMI port.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Take it easy, Sir. You do not need this to turn into violence. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    FUCK NETFLIX! I'm done. I cancelled it today.

Santa Clarita Diet portrays white people as blood thirsty cannibals. Boycott this shit and cancel your subscription. Anybody that has a Smart TV with Netflix built in should punch it in the HDMI port.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    I'm with you Shannon - this era of "white guilt" is absolutely insane. I have no clue where this shit even started.
    I have to agree. I always laugh at how socially acceptable a movie is like say "White Chicks"... But then I wonder why a white person cannot go out dressed in what is now "Black face" for Halloween... White Face - ALLOWED but Black Face - YOUR A RACIST. Imagine a movie making fun of black women called "Black Chicks"? And White Guilt is a real thing... and it is everywhere. There is now so much racism towards white people it blows me away.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    It's not racist, it's the opposite of racist. It's supposed to make YOU (if you're white, of course) feel like a racist.

White guilt bullshit. I don't have a Netflix account, and even if I did I wouldn't cancel it, but this is a definite miss.
    I don't think that's the objective.

How do know how it's trying to make you feel if you haven't even seen it?
    I don't think that's the objective either.

I never saw the movie. I watched both trailers.

I'm a middle aged white man, and I don't have a problem with the show. I probably won't watch it, since it isn't something that interests me, but it doesn't bother me in the least.

I really don't see what there is to be upset about.

It certainly isn't a good reason to cancel Netflix. Netflix is awesome!
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast