Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Just finished up watching Making a Murderer pt 2. WOW.

I can't believe there are still people out there that think he's guilty. His new lawyer has completely shredded every piece of evidence they used to convict him.
    I felt sorry for the kid.
    Same. It's unbelievable how hard they are fighting to say that his totally coerced confession wasn't coerced. Probably because they know that if one gets out, the other one is getting out too.

I'm trying to figure out why in the world his mom signed off on the police talking to him without her being there. Unless she didn't know what she was signing at the time.
    They aren't the brightest people. I suspect her husband and other son are involved somehow.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Just finished up watching Making a Murderer pt 2. WOW.

I can't believe there are still people out there that think he's guilty. His new lawyer has completely shredded every piece of evidence they used to convict him.
    I felt sorry for the kid.
    Same. It's unbelievable how hard they are fighting to say that his totally coerced confession wasn't coerced. Probably because they know that if one gets out, the other one is getting out too.

I'm trying to figure out why in the world his mom signed off on the police talking to him without her being there. Unless she didn't know what she was signing at the time.
    They aren't the brightest people. I suspect her husband and other son are involved somehow.
    That's possible but the stories from everyone have been so all over the place that it's difficult to know who to believe anymore. I'm suspicious of the ex-boyfriend who moved into her house almost immediately after she was killed and was found to be in possession of a day planner that was with her IN HER CAR the day she was killed. They know this because they have the phone call where she told another person what appointment she was writing down on it before she went to the Avery's. That appointment was written in her planner in her hand-writing. Somehow nobody ever questioned this.

I've also been listening to the multiple Brenden Dassey interviews. Apparently the one where he finally "confessed" was like the 3rd or 4th time they talked to him. Also, his story has been pretty consistent at the beginning of all of them. He got off the bus, went inside, played his Playstation 2 for a couple of hours, then helped Steve go around on the golf cart to clean up some things. Never saw Teresa or her car at all. That's not what the "official" story ended up being though.

Although how they managed to piece together a coherent story from all his ramblings is beyond me. He said they tied her up to Steve's bed, raped her, cut her throat, stabbed her, then took her into the garage, shot her 5-10 times, put her in the back of her car, then took her out to the burn pile. Yet no blood was found in his trailer or on his garage floor. I relatively small amount was found in the back of her car.

Also the bones found in his burnpit were never photographed or documented. Those bones could literally have been found anywhere.

I also read an interesting thing that in the beginning when they first started interviewing everyone, nobody mentioned a fire. That story evolved as time went on. Somebody planted the idea that there was a fire that night and suddenly months/years later people "remember" seeing it. Steven has been adamant from the beginning that he hadn't had a fire for a couple of weeks prior to her being killed.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I forgot about the ex-boyfriend. We'll probably never know what really happened.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Mae, I know it must have broken your heart when you heard the news that Netflix was cancelling One Day at a Time. I was surprised.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Mae, I know it must have broken your heart when you heard the news that Netflix was cancelling One Day at a Time. I was surprised.
    It really was upsetting. It’s such a special show and I fell in love with the characters and their relationships. I wanted to see that grow and evolve. It was one of the few shows that I would binge right away as soon as the new seasons dropped.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    It really was upsetting. It’s such a special show and I fell in love with the characters and their relationships. I wanted to see that grow and evolve. It was one of the few shows that I would binge right away as soon as the new seasons dropped.
    I think the cancelation of One Day at a Time might bring to light some larger concerns with Netflix and their handling of their shows.

For decades, when a TV network cancels a show, they can usually point to poor ratings as the culprit. For Netflix, they are notoriously veiled with their ratings and what people are watching. They cancel the show, put out a press release that says "not enough people watched" and everyone moves on with their lives.

I honestly think the larger worry is that once a show gets into its third and fourth seasons and some of the actors start coming up for new contracts, Netflix takes a hard look and if the return on investment doesn't match the mystery number of viewers, it gets the axe.

I think we are going to start seeing more and more of these cases.

As a side note, I'm not putting the mass cancellations of the Marvel shows in this discussion. Those shows getting canceled have more to do with Disney and their upcoming streaming service than anything else.

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

SS, your timing is impeccable. An article with many theories on why Netflix is so short term oriented

https://deadline.com/2019/03/netflix...me-1202576297/

They address your theory about escalating contracts (I agree with you 100% btw - ESPN pulled the same shit with their sportscenter anchors in the 90s and look how great that worked out)

And another great point they made. Don Draper said the most powerful word in advertising is “new”. Once a show hits season 3ish, no matter its success, the likelihood of that show generating new signups is negligible, thus the show no longer has value to Netflix. While that assessment is probably accurate in our new world order of insatiable consumption, what a shit way to treat art. Ultimately this leads to nothing withstanding the test of time. Nothing becomes the high water mark that other art aspires to be or eclipse. And nothing exists to inspire future artists

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Popkin View Post
    SS, your timing is impeccable. An article with many theories on why Netflix is so short term oriented

https://deadline.com/2019/03/netflix...me-1202576297/

They address your theory about escalating contracts (I agree with you 100% btw - ESPN pulled the same shit with their sportscenter anchors in the 90s and look how great that worked out)

And another great point they made. Don Draper said the most powerful word in advertising is “new”. Once a show hits season 3ish, no matter its success, the likelihood of that show generating new signups is negligible, thus the show no longer has value to Netflix. While that assessment is probably accurate in our new world order of insatiable consumption, what a shit way to treat art. Ultimately this leads to nothing withstanding the test of time. Nothing becomes the high water mark that other art aspires to be or eclipse. And nothing exists to inspire future artists
    Holy shit! Is that woman a part of this forum?!

Thanks for the article, it fills in a lot of the blanks for me and was pretty enlightening on many levels. Netflix has some truly alarming best practices.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like it's actually possible for One Day at a Time to continue at a network like ABC or NBC. I'd be all for that, I would love for it to come back in any way.

Country
    Country Flag

Also this is such corporate fucking bullshit it almost makes me want to cancel Netflix but they know I can't cause it's Netflix:

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1106246147771764736
    We’ve made the very difficult decision not to renew One Day At A Time for a fourth season. The choice did not come easily — we spent several weeks trying to find a way to make another season work but in the end simply not enough people watched to justify another season.

Thank you Norman Lear for bringing this series back to television. Thank you Gloria Calderon Kellett & Mike Royce for always making us laugh and never shying away from bravely and beautifully tackling tough subject matter in a meaningful way

To Justina Machado, Todd Grinnell, Isabella Gomez, Marcel Ruiz, Stephen Tobolowsky, and Rita Moreno: thank you for inviting us into your family. You filled this show with so much heart and warmth and love, it truly felt like home.

And to anyone who felt seen or represented — possibly for the first time — by ODAAT, please don’t take this as an indication your story is not important. The outpouring of love for this show is a firm reminder to us that we must continue finding ways to tell these stories.
    That last tweet comes off like such a fuck-you. Truly a horrible decision by Netflix and I hope it bites them in the ass. I hope the show moves to ABC (Disney) and flourishes for seasons to come.

Even Lin-Manuel Miranda is behind it, I mean come on:

https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/statu...31123465756672
    Hey @ABCNetwork, looks like a perfect fit to me. Be a hero. #SaveODAAT
    With Modern Family ending it only makes sense.

Oh and if y'all haven't seen One Day at a Time, one of the best shows of recent years, then you owe it to yourself. Probably should've watched sooner, but at least we got three amazing seasons.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I wonder if this will shape new shows to come. In that they'll focus more on being short term limited series, like 1-2 seasons and end after that. And not focus on continuing stories like were used to with primetime cable series.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I think it's more to do with owning their content. They didn't outright own One Day at a Time, like they didn't own the Marvel shows. I hope all the new series they're making they own. But like Sabrina, that's a Warner Bros series. If Netflix cancels it I'm sure the CW will pick it up.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Even Lin-Manuel Miranda is behind it, I mean come on:

https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/statu...31123465756672
    Hey @ABCNetwork, looks like a perfect fit to me. Be a hero. #SaveODAAT
    Miranda helped save Brooklyn Nine-Nine, so you never know.

I think it's more to do with owning their content. They didn't outright own One Day at a Time, like they didn't own the Marvel shows. I hope all the new series they're making they own. But like Sabrina, that's a Warner Bros series. If Netflix cancels it I'm sure the CW will pick it up.
    I've said it before, one day a majority of the content on Netflix will be shit they outright own. It just makes business sense.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Miranda helped save Brooklyn Nine-Nine...
    He did?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Anyone watch Love, Death & Robots? I thought it was a really interesting collection of science fiction / horror shorts. A little like an animated Black Mirror.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Anyone watch Love, Death & Robots? I thought it was a really interesting collection of science fiction / horror shorts. A little like an animated Black Mirror.
    Will have to check it out. Currently watching The Dirt.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    It’s pretty cool! We also just started Good Girls and what a funny show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

That looks like one of those things I would like to watch...but won't get to because no one else (family) will go along with it...

(not that I don't watch my own TV shows, but the Netflix situation is a bit of a hassle. long story.)
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Miranda helped save Brooklyn Nine-Nine...
    He did?
    https://mashable.com/2018/05/15/broo...a-mark-hamill/

He guest starred on an episode this season. It was pretty great.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    That looks like one of those things I would like to watch...but won't get to because no one else (family) will go along with it...

(not that I don't watch my own TV shows, but the Netflix situation is a bit of a hassle. long story.)
    Looks interesting. I'll probably check it out.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

So, I finally got around to watching Bird Box yesterday and... it kinda sucked.

I went into it mostly spoiler-free but after watching it I realized there wasn't a whole lot to really spoil.

Spoiler:
    Even the ending didn't make much sense. How were all the sighted people surviving in that building? What made it safe from the creatures?

Why didn't they explain anything about the creatures at all. Where did they come from? Why are they here? What do they even look like? Why did some people immediately commit suicide yet others were able to apparently survive and try to "turn" others?

Why the hell was Sandra Bullock's character so unattached to her own kid that she couldn't even give him a name?

So many unanswered questions and so many actors that were completely under-utilized.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I went into it mostly spoiler-free but after watching it I realized there wasn't a whole lot to really spoil.

Spoiler:
    Even the ending didn't make much sense. How were all the sighted people surviving in that building? What made it safe from the creatures?

Why didn't they explain anything about the creatures at all. Where did they come from? Why are they here? What do they even look like? Why did some people immediately commit suicide yet others were able to apparently survive and try to "turn" others?

Why the hell was Sandra Bullock's character so unattached to her own kid that she couldn't even give him a name?

So many unanswered questions and so many actors that were completely under-utilized.
    Did you read the book? Ending was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post

Spoiler:

Did you read the book? Ending was better.
    I haven't but I've read where they changed it for the movie because the book's ending was darker. Kinda reminds me of how they changed the ending of I Am Legend in the movie compared to the book.

It's like they are trying to make this hopeful future when in reality, most of the world's population is already dead and the ones that are left probably don't have much longer to live because 1) they can't see, 2) the creatures are still out there and they have no idea how to kill them and 3) there are other humans still out there killing.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The problem with Bird Box is that it's a horror/suspense/thriller that has all the suspense removed from it because the story is told with flashbacks. We know Sandy B. and the kids survive.

That kind of story mechanic doesn't work great with films like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast