Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Yes watched by a lot of people. Why? Because people loved it. Why is that? Cause it was GOOD. As for your issues? I liked the way it was down other than the woods part at the end. The whispers and shit was silly.... the rest you mention? I liked that we don't know. Same as NOT seeing the monsters. The unknown sometimes is so much better in a movie then knowing.

Side note: Have you seen the trailer for POLAR?
    Come on, man. I'm not trying to be a dick here. A lot of people watching it isn't only because people think it's great. There's a curiosity factor. Word of mouth starts happening and people need to see it for themselves. I'm not saying it's a terrible film by any means, I just don't think it's deserving of all this praise.

I too agree that we as viewers shouldn't know everything. The unknown can be scary, although I think that works better in the written form than in visual form. There are also some things that need to be explained or at least have a valid reason for, or it pulls the viewer out of the film and gets them questioning things. I found myself doing that a lot. I was asking myself why can these things stomp on your car, but they can't just remove your blindfold? Things like that.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Yes watched by a lot of people. Why? Because people loved it. Why is that? Cause it was GOOD. As for your issues? I liked the way it was down other than the woods part at the end. The whispers and shit was silly.... the rest you mention? I liked that we don't know. Same as NOT seeing the monsters. The unknown sometimes is so much better in a movie then knowing.

Come on, man. I'm not trying to be a dick here. A lot of people watching it isn't only because people think it's great. There's a curiosity factor. Word of mouth starts happening and people need to see it for themselves. I'm not saying it's a terrible film by any means, I just don't think it's deserving of all this praise.

I too agree that we as viewers shouldn't know everything. The unknown can be scary, although I think that works better in the written form than in visual form. There are also some things that need to be explained or at least have a valid reason for, or it pulls the viewer out of the film and gets them questioning things. I found myself doing that a lot. I was asking myself why can these things stomp on your car, but they can't just remove your blindfold? Things like that.
    Come on man back.... just cause you didn’t love the movie or think it was great... doesn’t mean it wasn’t.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

It seems that critics don't like the movie, but it is getting a lot of views.

I enjoyed it. I certainly didn't love it. I'd put it in the worth watching category.

I feel I need to read the book to know what the fuck is going on though.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I'm definitely in this camp.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Come on man back.... just cause you didn’t love the movie or think it was great... doesn’t mean it wasn’t.
    I never said that. That hasn't been my point at all. I'm debunking your flawed theory that because a lot of people watch something, automatically makes it great. So you're saying The Big Bang Theory is the greatest sitcom in the history of TV? You're saying Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is better than Mission: Impossible - Fallout?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    It seems that critics don't like the movie, but it is getting a lot of views.

I enjoyed it. I certainly didn't love it. I'd put it in the worth watching category.

Critics as a whole have actually enjoyed the film more than audiences. 64% fresh rating for critics and 62% for audiences. The people who are making Bid Box out to be this massive hit with audiences are just plain wrong. A film like this should have a way higher audience rating.

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if there’s some sort of Meme quotient that gets factored into impact/viewership/reach for films now. How many addl views or subs will be from someone that discovered the film via a bird box meme. Or because they saw a bird box challenge in their feed - whatever that is. This of course leads to When will we start seeing memes released before the movie comes out as part of some grassroots marketing campaign. Will studios at some point spend more on memes than commercials?

And of course back to SS’s original Q...how the hell does this kind of buzz pay the bills??

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Popkin View Post
    I wonder if there’s some sort of Meme quotient that gets factored into impact/viewership/reach for films now. How many addl views or subs will be from someone that discovered the film via a bird box meme. Or because they saw a bird box challenge in their feed - whatever that is. This of course leads to When will we start seeing memes released before the movie comes out as part of some grassroots marketing campaign. Will studios at some point spend more on memes than commercials?

And of course back to SS’s original Q...how the hell does this kind of buzz pay the bills??
    You might be on to something. I have to think that a lot of the people that ended up watching Bird Box is because of all the social media exposure it was getting. I think the memes are audience generated, but I could see more studios generating that content as advertising now. Of course, we probably won't be able to tell the difference. You might have just invented a new marketing strategy.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

THIS video here totally explains how Netflix is making money.... or not.

http://collider.com/netflix-price-in...lained/#images
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just read an article that Netflix prices are increasing

As for Bird Box, I know 5 people in real life that have seen it (I'm sure its probably more, but these are ones that I've talked to about it). 2 thought it was ok, but we're a bit confused by some things. And 3 didn't care for it at all...
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yup! It makes sense that they will continue to raise prices. They have to pay for these properties.

Country
    Country Flag

Yup! It makes sense that they will continue to raise prices. They have to pay for these properties.
    I like how they spread the money out though. Our company does that too. One day they can back off new programming and start making mad money. 2022 they expect to start banking cash. Brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Never happy about prices of anything going up, but for my DVD plan, it's only a dollar increase for unlimited rentals in a month. For the entertainment value and thousands of options that streaming just doesn't offer, I still feel like it's a good deal.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Never happy about prices of anything going up, but for my DVD plan, it's only a dollar increase for unlimited rentals in a month. For the entertainment value and thousands of options that streaming just doesn't offer, I still feel like it's a good deal.
    Enjoy the DVD plan while you can, they are phasing it out as we speak. DVDs don't factor into the future plan for Netflix. Licensing fees are expensive, as is physical media and postage. Their plan is to have all original content in about 10 years.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Take that back Mike! I love my dvd plan as well. How else will you be able to see whatever you want. Their streaming selection is so limited compared to what you can rent.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't heard they're phasing it out. I'm sure their DVD subs. don't compare to their streaming, but I'd be willing to bet a chunk of their business still comes from DVDs. Like old people...and me and Heather.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nothing confirmed, but I believe going discless was mentioned during an investor’s conference call in the last year or so. Due to being tethered to GameFly, Netflix still caters to gaming trends...with Microsoft supposedly releasing a discless digital only console amongst their next generation launch, I’m guessing Netflix will execute Order 66 on their physical disc arm if Microsoft has a successful launch.

Country
    Country Flag

Was reading up on the DVD plan stuff last night and they still have 3+ million subs. for the DVD plan. Compared to 40+ million for streaming, it's a big gap, but because the DVD plan was what enabled them to finance the original all streaming content, they're in no hurry to get rid of it. Netflix bigwig says he can see it going at least another 5 years. So not going away any time soon, but I don't like that they might let it fall away after that.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Well that sucks. I hope it's just talk. It's be a shame for them to ever let that go. It's what made them who they are now. For all of you that don't do the DVD version how on earth do you watch a movie that is not streaming, and not a new release? There's so many movies I want to watch that aren't streaming anywhere or available at Redbox.

Country
    Country Flag

Punisher this Friday... I cannot freakin wait.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

"In the third quarter of 2018, Netflix had over 137 million streaming subscribers worldwide. Of these subscribers, 58.46 million were from the United States. As the popularity of Netflix's streaming service has increased, the company has seen its DVD section decline. In 2017, there were 3.38 million subscribers to Netflix's DVD rental service in the United States, a decline from 11.17 million in 2011."

www.statista.com/quarterly-number-of-netflix-streaming-subscribers-worldwide/
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Well that sucks. I hope it's just talk. It's be a shame for them to ever let that go. It's what made them who they are now. For all of you that don't do the DVD version how on earth do you watch a movie that is not streaming, and not a new release? There's so many movies I want to watch that aren't streaming anywhere or available at Redbox.
    We still have an actual video rental store about a mile from my house. They don't have every movie but most of the old movies we've wanted to watch we've been able to find there. At least the few times a year that we go.

One time a few years back we went on a kick of watching a lot of the old 80's horror movies. Jason, Freddy and all the Saw movies. They had them all.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

I think the disruption that Disney+ is going to cause will force cos like Netflix to offer a solution to your problem (iTunes rentals, etc) or at least open the door for new companies (most likely existing studios) to offer their own exclusive streaming.

“For just 2.99/month, get access to all the new Avatars online a month before they’re released on iTunes, Netflix, etc. as a bonus you’ll get a free 4K copy of Terminator 6 and a download code to an iBooks compatible daily journal that James Cameron kept while filming Avatar 4”

Country
    Country Flag

For all of you that don't do the DVD version how on earth do you watch a movie that is not streaming, and not a new release? There's so many movies I want to watch that aren't streaming anywhere or available at Redbox.
    Exactly! Redbox is great, easy, and cheap, but unless it's a new release, I get all mine from the DVD plan. And I think the majority of my queue are movies that are not and never will be available on streaming or Redbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    We still have an actual video rental store about a mile from my house. They don't have every movie but most of the old movies we've wanted to watch we've been able to find there. At least the few times a year that we go.

One time a few years back we went on a kick of watching a lot of the old 80's horror movies. Jason, Freddy and all the Saw movies. They had them all.
    I miss Blockbuster. I mean, it's not nearly as convenient now with streaming, etc., but I like the thought if it being there if I ever wanted to go. Plus, it was just nice to walk around and browse movies like you browse books at a bookstore. It was part of the experience. Plus, getting to talk with people and get recommendations.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

I miss video rental stores so much. Like you said, it was fun just going in and walking around and browsing all the movies.

My fear is everyone is going to have their own streaming site and if you want to see something you'll have to join 20 different sites. I currently have Netflix and Hulu, and no desire to add anything more to it. That's already enough money, especially if they're increasing their prices.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast